Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

General Dunshaughlin news

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ Exile59


    Hi all,

    As a relatively recent reluctant 'blow in' to Dunshaughlin, I've been surprised at the explosion in development in the area over the last few months, with plenty of new housing developments, Lidl, Avoca down the road and of course the obligatory rumours of Facebook and Google considering relocating their European headquarters to this part of the country!!!

    With the inevitable impending explosion of population and correlating return to a thriving town I said i'd set up a thread where people go go for information etc on the local area.
    Tagged:


«13456725

Comments



  • As a first query I was wondering if there is any news on the proposed development on the green area in Maldeuin? I know many of the local residents are objecting to it. It really would be a pity to lose that green spot when entering Maldeuin from the village centre.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    As a first query I was wondering if there is any news on the proposed development on the green area in Maldeuin? I know many of the local residents are objecting to it. It really would be a pity to lose that green spot when entering Maldeuin from the village centre.

    Try the Dunshaughlin Grapvine Facebook group for this sort of thing.




  • Ed* wrote: »
    Try the Dunshaughlin Grapvine Facebook group for this sort of thing.

    I have, but the group is just buy and sell services. Nothing else.




  • You will be better off creating a new Facebook page and get as many people following it. You're more likely to get contributions and updates.




  • chewed wrote: »
    You will be better off creating a new Facebook page and get as many people following it. You're more likely to get contributions and updates.

    Hi Chewed,

    I don't really use Facebook and I think one of the better aspects about Boards.ie is the anonymity. Facebook doesn't have that. I know a number of other areas around the country have general threads on Boards.ie where people can discuss issues and developments in their area. So, I felt i'd start one here.


  • Advertisement


  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Hi all,

    As a relatively recent reluctant 'blow in' to Dunshaughlin, I've been surprised at the explosion in development in the area over the last few months, with plenty of new housing developments, Lidl, Avoca down the road and of course the obligatory rumours of Facebook and Google considering relocating their European headquarters to this part of the country!!!

    With the inevitable impending explosion of population and correlating return to a thriving town I said i'd set up a thread where people go go for information etc on the local area.

    Don't know where you got that info ie. Facebook/Google moving their headquarters to that part of the country. They have only just moved into newer and bigger premises in Grand Canal Dock.




  • Elemonator wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that info ie. Facebook/Google moving their headquarters to that part of the country. They have only just moved into newer and bigger premises in Grand Canal Dock.

    Hi Elemonator.

    I was just joking re Facebook and Google moving headquarters to Dunshaughlin.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Hi Chewed,

    I don't really use Facebook and I think one of the better aspects about Boards.ie is the anonymity. Facebook doesn't have that. I know a number of other areas around the country have general threads on Boards.ie where people can discuss issues and developments in their area. So, I felt i'd start one here.

    I don't really use FB myself either, and agree about anonymity. But, you're more likely to get a bigger audience in FB than Boards these days, I'd imagine. You can always set up a page and remain anonymous yourself...acting as the page admin.




  • chewed wrote: »
    I don't really use FB myself either, and agree about anonymity. But, you're more likely to get a bigger audience in FB than Boards these days, I'd imagine. You can always set up a page and remain anonymous yourself...acting as the page admin.

    Jeez, gettin fierce resistance here!!! ;)

    I'm not overly concerned about a big audience. And while I could remain anonymous as an admin on Facebook, others can't. I think having a profile in full public view deters people from, for example, voicing opinions on matters in a town the size of Dunshaughlin.

    I like Boards.ie as a website, and was previously on a thread for a town that had a general page such as this. It was great for people just asking questions re 'the new store being opened' or 'the roadworks on the way into town' etc where we could move from topic to topic without having to always set up a new thread.

    Also, one page for general things with a few regular contributors can be quite handy for anyone seeking information.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Jeez, gettin fierce resistance here!!! ;)

    I'm not overly concerned about a big audience. And while I could remain anonymous as an admin on Facebook, others can't. I think having a profile in full public view deters people from, for example, voicing opinions on matters in a town the size of Dunshaughlin.

    I like Boards.ie as a website, and was previously on a thread for a town that had a general page such as this. It was great for people just asking questions re 'the new store being opened' or 'the roadworks on the way into town' etc where we could move from topic to topic without having to always set up a new thread.

    Also, one page for general things with a few regular contributors can be quite handy for anyone seeking information.

    Whatever works for ya! :)

    It's one of the reasons why I don't use FB....I don't want the whole world to see when I've posted something. Can't stand the (lack) of privacy features!!


  • Advertisement


  • chewed wrote: »
    Whatever works for ya! :)

    It's one of the reasons why I don't use FB....I don't want the whole world to see when I've posted something. Can't stand the (lack) of privacy features!!

    Ah yea, I'm the same. Sure look, keep an eye on the page. Might be able to throw an opinion either way at some stage.

    No shortage of things goin' on.




  • Elemonator wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that info ie. Facebook/Google moving their headquarters to that part of the country. They have only just moved into newer and bigger premises in Grand Canal Dock.

    well i thought OP meant the Facebook Data center in Clonee...not sure how many will be employed there




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Hi Elemonator.

    I was just joking re Facebook and Google moving headquarters to Dunshaughlin.
    Bussywussy wrote: »
    well i thought OP meant the Facebook Data center in Clonee...not sure how many will be employed there

    Joke went right over my head. My bad :p

    Wasn't aware of a new data centre in Clonee either.




  • Elemonator wrote: »
    Joke went right over my head. My bad :p

    Wasn't aware of a new data centre in Clonee either.

    Ha! Ah no worries! I think Dunshaughlin will start with Lidl, probably an Aldi next, then Costa Coffee or the likes and sometime circa 2030 maybe Facebook...! ;)




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Hi all,

    As a relatively recent reluctant 'blow in' to Dunshaughlin, I've been surprised at the explosion in development in the area over the last few months, with plenty of new housing developments, Lidl, Avoca down the road and of course the obligatory rumours of Facebook and Google considering relocating their European headquarters to this part of the country!!!

    With the inevitable impending explosion of population and correlating return to a thriving town I said i'd set up a thread where people go go for information etc on the local area.

    Hello, exile59...apart from the issues you've raised, you mentioned that you are a "reluctant" blow-in...if it's not too personal a question, why reluctant?
    I am also a blow-in, here now 15 years and no regrets. You are right about how the town is now looking like it's "taking off", with new housing developments and the imminent arrival of LIdl etc.
    Anyway, welcome to Dunshaughlin...hopefully you will feel less reluctant as time goes on!




  • Bussywussy wrote: »

    well i thought OP meant the Facebook Data center in Clonee...not sure how many will be employed there
    About 30...




  • CUCINA wrote: »
    Hello, exile59...apart from the issues you've raised, you mentioned that you are a "reluctant" blow-in...if it's not too personal a question, why reluctant?
    I am also a blow-in, here now 15 years and no regrets. You are right about how the town is now looking like it's "taking off", with new housing developments and the imminent arrival of LIdl etc.
    Anyway, welcome to Dunshaughlin...hopefully you will feel less reluctant as time goes on!

    Ah it was more tongue in cheek I suppose! I'm from a large town in a more coastal region and it was a bit of a change moving here a few years ago. I think anyone who grows up close to water misses it if they move more inland. But the more i'm here the more I've settled, and there's plenty of good characters floating around the place.

    As for the town taking off, yea, there's going to be a huge influx of young couples moving in with all the new developments. The pubs will be lickin' their lips, as will most other businesses.

    I really would love to see a nice restaurant open up. Apart from the Shibin, there's literally nowhere to go for a bite to eat at the weekend. There's a great opportunity there for someone.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Ah it was more tongue in cheek I suppose! I'm from a large town in a more coastal region and it was a bit of a change moving here a few years ago. I think anyone who grows up close to water misses it if they move more inland. But the more i'm here the more I've settled, and there's plenty of good characters floating around the place.

    As for the town taking off, yea, there's going to be a huge influx of young couples moving in with all the new developments. The pubs will be lickin' their lips, as will most other businesses.

    I really would love to see a nice restaurant open up. Apart from the Shibin, there's literally nowhere to go for a bite to eat at the weekend. There's a great opportunity there for someone.

    We could really do with a restaurant or two. We finally have another supermarket on the way after close to 20 years of objections by Supervalu. One thing is certain, new residents of Dunshaughlin will have a world of choice when it comes to getting their hair cut, there must be close to 10 hair premises in the village.




  • Gonzo wrote: »
    We could really do with a restaurant or two. We finally have another supermarket on the way after close to 20 years of objections by Supervalu. One thing is certain, new residents of Dunshaughlin will have a world of choice when it comes to getting their hair cut, there must be close to 10 hair premises in the village.

    Ha! Myself and herself were only saying that last week about the hairdressers! Two new places opened up just before Christmas and I think that brought the amount of places to get the hair done to seven!!! Seven hairdressers and no restaurant...! Starvin, but well groomed!

    Was chatting to a local 'in the know' re property last week who told me Aldi are now back on the hunt for the site behind Maddens. They need to find an entrance to the site other than the Lagore Road. Where there's a Lidl there's an Aldi...

    With an estimated 600+ houses over the next three years being built there is a serious chance for a cafe/restaurant. The place next to Shibin would be grand.




  • Sign in old Fontana window that Massimos from Ratoath are moving in. A start on the restaurant front


  • Advertisement


  • tara83 wrote: »
    Sign in old Fontana window that Massimos from Ratoath are moving in. A start on the restaurant front

    That's great. Which is the old Fontana window? Is that the one across from the Shibin?




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    That's great. Which is the old Fontana window? Is that the one across from the Shibin?

    That's it




  • tara83 wrote: »
    That's it

    Yea I just Google searched it. Looked alright back when it was open. Will be a great addition to have a place to stroll up the road for a bite without having to drive.




  • the new restaurant will be great. I've nothing against the food in the Sibin but their prices have gone very expensive for what is essentially pub grub. They have increased their prices across the board twice within the past 12 months. A regular Sirloin steak in the Sibin is now 28 euros? which is almost top tier restaurant prices. I think the burger has shot up from 15 to 18 euros over the past year as well.

    Massimo's will be very welcome in Dunshaughlin, hopefully it will be as good as their Ashbourne branch. They are considerably cheaper than Sibin too. hopefully it doesn't stop here either, hopefully another new restaurant will launch over the next 12 months giving us 3 places to eat.




  • Gonzo wrote: »
    the new restaurant will be great. I've nothing against the food in the Sibin but their prices have gone very expensive for what is essentially pub grub. They have increased their prices across the board twice within the past 12 months. A regular Sirloin steak in the Sibin is now 28 euros? which is almost top tier restaurant prices. I think the burger has shot up from 15 to 18 euros over the past year as well.

    Massimo's will be very welcome in Dunshaughlin, hopefully it will be as good as their Ashbourne branch. They are considerably cheaper than Sibin too. hopefully it doesn't stop here either, hopefully another new restaurant will launch over the next 12 months giving us 3 places to eat.

    Yea I agree re The Shibin. Steaks are very expensive and food is grand, it's the service i'd have an issue with. But it's been somewhere to go...until the depressing piano player comes on on a Saturday night....out the gap then!

    I think a lot of people want somewhere to go to eat that isn't a pub, so a restaurant will do well.




  • Exile59 wrote: »
    Yea I agree re The Shibin. Steaks are very expensive and food is grand, it's the service i'd have an issue with. But it's been somewhere to go...until the depressing piano player comes on on a Saturday night....out the gap then!

    I think a lot of people want somewhere to go to eat that isn't a pub, so a restaurant will do well.

    We used to go to the Sibin regularly but stopped going with all the price increases and yeah the service can be hit and miss. Their burgers are also not as nice as they used to be, must have been a supplier change or something. We also used to bail out the door as soon as the depressing piano guy setup. We're not the only ones either who leaves when he arrives.

    We sometimes go to the snailbox for our steaks, priced at 21 euros you can't go wrong. We eat in Navan quite a bit as it's reasonably priced too. Really looking forward to Massimo's arriving, it will certainly be a change and a bit of variety.

    Dunshaughlin used to have a good Italian restaurant a few years back called Venice. It was located close to where Chocolate Fringe is now, but nobody ever went to it and it shut down after about 2 years.




  • I see in the thread there's talk of estimated 600 houses to be built? Is that common knowledge? Has a lot of areas in Dunshaughlin been zoned for development?




  • chases0102 wrote: »
    I see in the thread there's talk of estimated 600 houses to be built? Is that common knowledge? Has a lot of areas in Dunshaughlin been zoned for development?

    Yea, around that apparently. The Willows is going to be a very large development which will have sections released every few months for the next couple of years. There's the development across the road from The Willows, and Hanson Wood near Maldeuin. There's application for 100 houses on St. Seachnaill's Road and a few more, smaller developments including apartment blocks applied for.

    Whether or not they'll all come to fruition, we'll see...




  • tara83 wrote: »
    Sign in old Fontana window that Massimos from Ratoath are moving in. A start on the restaurant front

    excellent news...never eaten there before but somewhere new at least.i wish fifty 50 had of come instead of ratoath


  • Advertisement


  • Bussywussy wrote: »
    excellent news...never eaten there before but somewhere new at least.i wish fifty 50 had of come instead of ratoath

    I'd say it's only a matter of time 'till La Bucca or 50 Fifty make a move. There's apparently a coffee shop opening next to the new Lidl as well. A good place to have a sit down and get a half decent coffee would be great.


Advertisement