Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need to talk...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Going back to the document, a couple of pointers might be handy too.

Hiding online status - both here and on COP might be handy info to know lest it be used against you.

The link to thread with roles is a good idea, I think we should create a new one though for new players with the basic outlines of what say....

NRVs
    Seers
    Wolves
    Bodyguards

do within the game. There's a lot of role talk in that thread by experienced players that might go way over the head of newbies. NRVs need to be emphasised that whilst it seems a boring role, it's a very important one in the game to provide cover for the roled players.

Play and hint as if you were the seer. Draw a munch off a roled player? Great village play. Stuff like that.

A lot of people, especially new players don't enjoy the game as much if they get vanilla NRV imo. We need to work on making this more attractive by presenting examples of just how important the NRVs are within a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Good shouts. Would love to tackle that role list and do up a role guide like you are talking about - unlikely ill get the time unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Pter wrote: »
    Good shouts. Would love to tackle that role list and do up a role guide like you are talking about - unlikely ill get the time unfortunately!

How about we approach it like Digi is with the stats, set up a shared sheet in gdrive throw some titles on it and we can all add in?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I can do that in my free time at work. It can go in the newbie pointers thread.

I'll cover the very basic roles as detailed above and leave the complex explanations to the other thread.

How about we approach it like Digi is with the stats, set up a shared sheet in gdrive throw some titles on it and we can all add in?

Yeah cool - file is there if anyone wants to throw it up on a shared sheet

• Advertisement

I will, I need to run out and get a pepsi (emergency) I'll do it when I come back!

Ok it's up, there should be open editing permissions, I put in some role titles and suggested headings to start off but obviously add/edit as you see fit

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J13Gwq03QIEZMYOcXBEvPn7fDqGKK1iL?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Again I had no idea this convo had been going! board, get yer act together and send me emails lol.

@Necro

What did you do when I said in the back rooms that I felt yer man had stepped over the line. You told me it was being dealt with or noted, but wondering what you did as a mod?

I know I was under extreme pressure at the time and I was taking a LOT of flack, but I was handling it well enough till he overstepped the line.
    I do think we need new players to know what we will not tolerate for sure. This person was new to the game so maybe if he knew he might not have gone down that road.

I don't mind getting called anything within the game, but I do not appreciate personal insults.

Edited (cos I can lol) to add, well done Pter for the document, appreciated that you took this time to do all that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

sullivlo wrote: »
    That’s what I mean. We all need to be on the same page.

- If a game is to be non-anon, everyone plays under their own account.
    - People should not re-register on boards to circumvent these rules.
    - Everyone, even game mods, should stick to the rules.
    Don't disagree but it would also be good to get some views from players and mods on what happens if there is a breach. It's very hard sometimes to kick a player and risk spoiling a game for a breach. How do you address it properly?

Like tbh the two rules you mention are gimmes. Do they need to be spelled out? I don't think so anyway. Certainly you ask the mods if you are any way near a grey area or something that isn't explicitly stated. It's going to be very hard to come up with a comprehensive set of rules that can't be exploited if someone wants to find a way.
    That is what I mean. I discovered the breach very early on in the game. By right, the player in question should have been banned, but the game would have been ruined.

So there needs to be a plan in place for situations like this. How do we proceed?

Do we operate a no tolerance policy? Is it graded, like is there a different level of rule breaks? Like does the deleted post from last night warrant a ban? Or just the rereg?
    Banjo wrote: »
    Again, in that specific case, was the intention to break the game or to enjoy the game? I don't think you could argue that he was trying to derail it, apart from the way he plays but that's a whole other discussion :) I see his intention as benign and it didn't specifically become a problem until I made it a problem as a deliberate attempt to pervert the course of the game. My intention was malign, to break the rules in my favour, however noble I thought that break was at the time.
    Do we have a widespread problem with rule breaking? I don't think so.

Do we have a problem with one user repeatedly breaking different rules. Yes, in my opinion.

Like I have no problem with banjo playing again because he made a mistake and is obviously contrite. That counts.

But Tigger willfully broke a rule AND willfully went against the spirit of the game and what the mods laid out. And that's just in this game. It's happened in loads of games. He can come on and say whatever he wants, but after a certain number of times, things like this can't be rationalised away and there needs to be consequences that actually hurt him. Not a self imposex exile but one from our community saying 'this isn't on. We aren't going to let you keep doing this'....eff off for a while, basically.
    The game was non-anon, as voted for by the participants. Reregistering on boards to evade the non-anon aspect of the game, for your own lols, is derailing IMO.

I would never have signed up had he been playing.

Nobody willing to discuss the giraffe in the room.

Or is it a goosey goosey gander type thing?

Non-anon game.
    Re-reg account.

two legs bad, no legs good.

What changed this time around?

• Advertisement

I don't understand what (or who) you are implying, but you know there is a report function there for any rule breakages.

Backseat modding on a thread is against boards.ie rules sk.

I have been of the persuasion that it is not breaking the rules to re-reg and not declare.

FYI: As you didn't notice, somebody re-reged last game and joined the non-anon game, something that you will see in the quoted posts is said to be derailing and against the premise of a non-anon game.(i don't believe it is, but was interested in why when one person does it, we get a whole hate thread set up, and when another does it, its like, oh wow, i didn't know that was you)

sKeith wrote:
    I have been of the persuasion that it is not breaking the rules to re-reg and not declare.

sKeith wrote:
    FYI: As you didn't notice, somebody re-reged last game and joined the non-anon game, something that you will see in the quoted posts is said to be derailing and against the premise of a non-anon game.(i don't believe it is, but was interested in why when one person does it, we get a whole hate thread set up, and when another does it, its like, oh wow, i didn't know that was you)

Last warning. Report a post from the person in question. If you want the rules upheld use the processes in place to report rule breakages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I don't understand what (or who) you are implying, but you know there is a report function there for any rule breakages.

Backseat modding on a thread is against boards.ie rules sk.

I'm getting confused.
    I thought the Report function was a site-wide feature for bringing violations of Boards.ie's rules to the attention of the mods?

Is this not a question about game-specific rules, and the opinions of the community about how they be applied?
    In what way is that back or front seat modding? And would use of the report feature be appropriate if one feels these rules are being applied in an unevenhanded manner?

(Side note : Given you're a Mod, if you're going to be bandying around the Boards.ie rulebook could you make it clear when you are doing so as a mod vs when you are doing so as a community member, otherwise it's difficult to gauge the tone, seriousness and level of escalation of the conversation - many mods put their "mod hat" on by typing in bold).

Last warning. Report a post from the person in question. If you want the rules upheld use the processes in place to report rule breakages.

last warning for what? Can i talk to pter the WW player and not the forum games mod please.

Banjo wrote:
    (Side note : Given you're a Mod, if you're going to be bandying around the Boards.ie rulebook could you make it clear when you are doing so as a mod vs when you are doing so as a community member, otherwise it's difficult to gauge the tone, seriousness and level of escalation of the conversation).

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with it. I'll bold text when I take a mod action. I haven't had to do it much so I understand how you wouldn't notice the difference.

I have outlined the report function is there and that backseat modding isn't allowed. One doesn't have to be a mod to do this as these aren't mod specific actions.

Moderation style is not open to public discussion Banjo, if you want to send me a pm I'll certainly read it however.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with it. I'll bold text when I take a mod action. I haven't had to do it much so I understand how you wouldn't notice the difference.

I have outlined the report function is there and that backseat modding isn't allowed. One doesn't have to be a mod to do this as these aren't mod specific actions.

Moderation style is not open to public discussion Banjo, if you want to send me a pm I'll certainly read it however.

WEREWOLF GAME RULES. NOT BOARDS RULES!!! :(:(:(

sKeith wrote:
    last warning for what? Can i talk to pter the WW player and not the forum games mod please.

Non mod Pter: Lads this is so silly if there is a problem report it to the mods. Cop on please.

Mod Pter: lads use the report button. If there is a rule breakage show us where and we will investigate

Mod note
    Discussion over lads. Move on please.

Non mod Pter: Lads this is so silly if there is a problem report it to the mods. Cop on please.

Mod Pter: lads use the report button. If there is a rule breakage show us where and we will investigate

Mod note
    Discussion over lads. Move on please.

WEREWOLF GAME RULES. NOT BOARDS RULES!!! frown.pngfrown.pngfrown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

FWIW I was well aware Vale closed his account and re reged

Did he not say as much after the Ted game

• Advertisement

Mod note

Bj the move on thing applies to everyone.

If a boards rule was broken use the report button.

If a game rule was broken pm a mod and we investigate. If it's the vale thing then first off he declared he was closing his account and making a new one, which is different to the case sk quoted and is trying to wedge in there, second off there is no rule in the last game about reregging, and it wouldn't supercede the boards rule anyway.

This public calling out of mod actions or lack there of is not on and is backseat modding.

I've issued a warning. Infractions will follow if the warning wasn't enough.

I think it’s beer o’clock

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

sKeith wrote: »

Non-anon game.
    Re-reg account.

Mod

I don’t follow. Can you clarify? Feel free to PM if you want.

I am not seeing the issue, but it has been a long day so you might need to type slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Non-anon game.
    Re-reg account.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    FWIW I was well aware Vale closed his account and re reged

Did he not say as much after the Ted game

I think the difference is, he SAID what he was doing. He did not pretend he was not playing, he did not see the game plan in the back rooms and he had signed up with another account. THAT is bad form.

Getting rid of an account and starting again isn't against boards rules. I did it a few years ago and it was all above board.

This new game looks like it will be an anon game. IF anyone sneaks in with a new username to pull the wool deliberately over my eyes, they will be insta banned from the game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod

I can jump in here.

1) The current poster you are referring to closed his account and re-opened a new one, which is not against boards rules, which is why there were no sanctions.

2) the previous poster you are referring to registered a new account whilst still openly posting in his original account, which is very much against boards rules, which is why there was sanctions. This action also implicated/involved many other posters (behind the scenes) and these were also dealt with.

I hope this clarifies things.

Okay, I have gotten clearance to continue this discussion but remove all the bull.

The discussion is solely about rereging and not decaring to everybody in the signup thread that you used to be a previous player who went by whatever.

not open for discussion is were this may have happened in the past, we look to the future only with this discussion.

Getting rid of an account and starting again isn't against boards rules. I did it a few years ago and it was all above board.

This new game looks like it will be an anon game.
    IF anyone sneaks in with a new username to pull the wool deliberately over my eyes, they will be insta banned from the game.

why? this opinion is as game mod?

if somebody does not want you to know they were once sKeith, and wanted to join a non anon game, as charlie, and you found out somehow they were once sKeith, you would kick me out?

Okay, I have gotten clearance to continue this discussion but remove all the bull.

The discussion is solely about rereging and not decaring to everybody in the signup thread that you used to be a previous player who went by whatever.

not open for discussion is were this may have happened in the past, we look to the future only with this discussion.

why? this opinion is as game mod?

if somebody does not want you to know they were once sKeith, and wanted to join a non anon game, as charlie, and you found out somehow they were once sKeith, you would kick me out?

If a significant % of players only signed up because sKeith wasn’t playing, then yes. As a player I’d walk away, never mind as a game mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

There's a couple of different things at play here, anyone is entitled on boards to close an account and open a new one. It is however against Boards rules to have two accounts at the same time(What happened previously) There is no obligation on the rereg to alert anyone that they have closed and opened an account in boards rules. The odd time it's common courtesy to let local mods know as in your previous incarnation you may have had actions or bans on the account.

For the most part people who tend to rereg do so if they feel they've lost their anonymity and want a fresh start.

What do you want done here? You want a hard and fast rule of a rereg must declare? The person in question signalled their intent at the end of the Ted game they were starting a new account. It was clear to me and most others who it was. I really don't see an issue at all tbh

duffman13 wrote: »
    There's a couple of different things at play here, anyone is entitled on boards to close an account and open a new one. It is however against Boards rules to have two accounts at the same time(What happened previously) There is no obligation on the rereg to alert anyone that they have closed and opened an account in boards rules. The odd time it's common courtesy to let local mods know as in your previous incarnation you may have had actions or bans on the account.

For the most part people who tend to rereg do so if they feel they've lost their anonymity and want a fresh start.

What do you want done here? You want a hard and fast rule of a rereg must declare? The person in question signalled their intent at the end of the Ted game they were starting a new account. It was clear to me and most others who it was. I really don't see an issue at all tbh

I don't want to have to declare that i was once sKeith, beofre i closed my account, but at the same time, don't want to be kicked out of the game for SNEAKing in.

• Advertisement

lots of you seem to be on the same page as me, i'd like to hear mostly from those who would want to kick me for not declaring.

Advertisement