Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Maybe the Yanks will make a $5 billion contribution to Ireland via their new version of Lend Lease? 😃

Meanwhile Lockheed Martin seem to be promoting the F-21 & F-50 worldwide sales campaign. I didn't even know even India was involved with them?

I don't think any Lend Lease would happen but I would love to see the meltdown of the hard left PBP Daly, Wallace types, & SF would be tying themselves in knots!

Unfortunately the rest of the politicians & parties are frightened of the small minority faction of the hard left & their overrepresentation in national media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

There is a huge market (in the west) for a low cost light fighter, to replace the many F-5 and similar in service around the world, most of whom entered service in the mid 60s originally. Even the USAF have said they need something to replace the T38s, most of whom are running out of life. They get heavy use in ANG units to keep fighter pilots current, without having to use up vital F/A-18 or F16 hours. With the introduction of the F35 this will become more of an issue.

Unfortunately US manufacturers missed the boat in that regard, their last purpose built trainer, the USN Goshawk, also approaching end of life.

So LM have teamed with KAI to provide the parts bin it shares with the F16, and as such making it an attractive proposal for any F-16 user (or potential F-35 user for that matter).

Meanwhile Daly has been tagged by the Authorities in Ukraine as an individual in public office knowingly spreading Russian Disinformation, so her opinion on these things counts for less than the bird poop I got on my shoe while walking in the garden earlier.

It, like her will be gone in the next shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But sure the T7-A is the T38 replacement. No doubt a line fighter variant, like the F5 was, will emerge from that programme too.

An ideal light fighter/trainer for Western customers.

• Advertisement

Problem is, they need it now. There are only 2 T7-A assembled to date. An armed version has yet to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I noticed in the recent article I posted about Polish arms and aircraft purchase fron south Korea....that the delivery of the light fighters is extremely rapid. Impressed.

South Korea has the ability to produce anything faster and more efficiently than their western counterparts. Their Shipyards are also spitting out superships at a rate western yards only dream of.

Its a cultural thing. Different work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭sparky42

Its not just that, their manufacturing infrastructure is much newer than legacy facilities in the West without the restrictions that adds on, I mean just look at how the yard building the Type 26 has issues and is only now thinking of building a covered section for full assembly but is limited due to preexisting buildings. They and China have the same advantages now that the US had over other nations during WW2 in that the manufacturing capabilities are effectively brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭roadmaster

They South Koreans are some operators . I remember warching a programme on the Hyundai ship yards. Even down how to cook had being planned

• Advertisement

Yeah, the speed and the manner in which the Triple E-Class container ships, largest in the world at the time, all from steel cut to delivery by Daewoo (DSME) in 8 months.

EIGHT

MONTHS!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

His not wrong they are a monumental waste of money for Ireland we have far more pressing issues to spend the money on if we scrapped the entire defense forces in the morning by in large no one would even notice, who are we going to be attacked by? And anyone with the capability to attack us the defense forces wouldn't be able to stop anyway so they are by in large ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

We are a member of the European Union and an attack on the EU is an attack on our quality of life and freedoms. The scenario is not "what if Russia decides to unilaterally invade Ireland".

We are on the front line of any conflict between Europe and any world power. A war at sea (our neck of the woods) is much more tolerable than a war on land, in the east of Europe for example.

In WW2, our neutrality counted for nothing and but for Britons merchant marine we would have been sucking on turf for nutrition.

If I stopped paying for house insurance in the morning, I wouldn't notice a jot of difference tomorrow morning, or the day after that. But only a looper would go without house insurance.

You should change your username to 'TheNonsense89'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“if we scrap the entire defense forces by and large nobody would notice”…

the defence forces are not meant to be noticed..

we would be unlikely to be of the ability to stave off invasion on our own but as first line of defence they are critical,

how many countries have zero defence forces… very few and they are mostly islands and territorial atolls and so forth.

Good Morning comrade.

Thank you for taking the time to advise us we need to disband our tiny "Defense forces".

You'll find in this part of the world we spell it Defence. Also "he's" not "his..". "By and large" not "by in large". Keep up the English Lessons. I'm sure you'll get an embassy job any day now.

How's the great return of the USSR coming along?

Now run along, this is not the place for you.

If your fictional scenario and over exaggerating of our defense forces was true which its not... we wouldn't be much use to the defense of Europe anyway would we considering the capability of the defense forces or lack of em... and ironically enough we couldn't be further from the frontline we are the very definition of "safety" when it comes to a war vs Russia.

A better analogy would be if you kept paying house insurance only to find out when you needed it, it doesn't do jack **** and was incapable of fulfilling its purpose in the first place.

Kind Regards,

TheTruth89.

Spell it what ever way you like its still about as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike when it comes to defense or war fighting vs anyone with the ability to attack us... Delusional...

Say we did decide to defend Europe in the fictional scenario the other poster came up with... how would we even get our 10000 troops to the frontline? RyanAir is it? 😂

Who's gonna attack us? the UK at one side and America at the other we can more than afford to have no defense force at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why the eff would you try to carry 10,000 fully equipped troops by air, when its only a 20 hour sea voyage to the Continent? 3 or 4 civilian ferries would do it. You know, just like civilian ships have been requisitioned for mass deployment in every war since ships were invented...

Seems you don't know a whole heap about DefenCe, do you?

Ah stop its getting ridiculous now the baaais floating over on the ferry to defend europe 🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Plenty of other countries, who are neutral with no pertinent threat or enemy have air forces.

we can afford it till something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

You still laugh at 80085 on a calculator don’t you.

I have read all of your replies and you clearly have no knowledge of the topic nor do you have the intellectual ability to keep up the conversation regarding the subject, other than spouting random childish stuff to wind people up.

Post edited by Sgt. Bilko 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭sparky42

Indeed, thankfully there’s always the ignore function for the likes of them.

The only retort's to any of the points I've made are personal attacks or grammar corrections, when you are attacking the poster rather than the posts it says it all...its a bit ironic that you accuse me of not being able to participate in a conversation and then proceed to type that drivel.

Its not my fault pouring reality on yer little war fantasies and the good auld Irish fight to save Europe offends ye so badly and gets ye so salty.

No matter how much you attack me it wont change the fact that the Defense Forces are under funded to the point of being incapable of doing what they were set up to do and in this day and age are essentially redundant.

And if they were disbanded in the morning we'd still be as safe as houses because of where we are positioned, as a nation we have no modern day enemies and that's just reality you don't have to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ah you've changed your stick now, I see - a well funded defence force would put up quite a fight, wouldn't it? Well, that's a sure enough sign that we've had an effect.

It's you versus all of the other small, European countries I'm afraid, lad. And the Defence Forces planners. I think we all know who to trust here.

Firstly I nor anybody else for that matter has attacked you. We’ve contributed to this forum for many years (probably longer than your account is set up) with opinions and ideas and we have never attacked anyone. I am most certainly not attacking you and I apologies if you feel that way but your blunt opposition and small innuendos(which I will list from your recent post) to what is a constructive forum and your feedback is nothing more than trolling.

so a thread that has lasted so many years and then you wonder in and say things like it’s a “war fantasy” and “we are fighting to save Europe”. -> Not contributory and is poking at members in this forum. Which I might add every person in here so far has a good amount of knowledge of the defences forces and air corps. Some are even ex military which you may have offended by stating it should be disbanded(I digress).

Secondly, nobody in this thread said we had an “enemy“ to begin with, you stating this means you clearly haven’t read anything.

You’ve just trolled IMO.

Your words “And if they were disbanded in the morning we'd still be as safe as houses because of where we are positioned” -> disband a military ok, our tiny little island has at least 7 terror organisations (that I know off) and Garda organisation that requires the military as ATC. You tell me where that disbandment fits in with your finance and justice policy?

There is a lot more to our navy/military than “floating over on the ferry” (your words).

Where we are positioned” is exactly the reason with need assets. at the minute we don’t any, and we annoyed our counterparts (the two you mentioned in an earlier post) because of this lack of funding.

Look up the white paper report in 2019 and look up the comms report recently published and you will see those expert reports, in black & white is why we need everything we’ve been discussing since the thread began.

Furthermore, maybe choose your words a little better (I’m not having a go here) when you are replying as it is troll like behaviour from you and I’m sure I’m not the only contributor that thinks that either.

Yeah that is usually how it works, well funded armies tend to out perform under funded ones... shocker i know! but since we are never going to spend what it will take to make the Defense forces capable of fulfilling the war fantasies of those on here..we may aswell go the opposite way and downsize it and invest the money in other areas we are in a unique position that we could get away with no DF or atleast a bare bones one.

But anyway numbers dont lie and the bottom line states that they don't spend jack **** on the defense forces... why is that i wonder? hmmm i mean for something we apparently so desperately need according to some on here you'd think the Gov would be spending a lot more... but instead are paying soldiers such a **** wage that retaining experienced soldiers is next to impossible..

We'll firstly when you insult someone or target the person directly that is attacking them, secondly when you take everything i say completely out of context and with no reference to the daft comments i was replying to in the first place its not exactly a balanced view is it? It seems to me that there is an echo chamber mentality in here and anyone that has a less than favorable opinion is categorized as trolling.

We have 7 Terror organizations? that requires 10000 full time soldiers? Stop.

Like you have people on here on about sending Irish soldiers by ferry to a front line with Russia in defense of Europe and no one bats an eyelid i mean for real like...

And my original comment was on how having F-16 is a colossal waste of money, we've got by this far without needing them i dont see the need for them now unless these terror organizations have an Air Force with modern day fighter jets.

• Advertisement

You’ve been threadbanned from other forums for reason. I’m not engaging with you.

But before I leave dialog with you. Regarding your magical number 10000 (ten thousand) We have 7,500 full-time members and are looking to recruit 3,000 or more, you can do the math and it magically gets you more than your made up figure. I won’t stop because I know what I’m talking about.

Im done speaking with you.

Best of luck

Sgt

Post edited by Sgt. Bilko 09 on

Advertisement