Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭sparky42

They are capable and expensive… Not sure what else you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,861 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

For a long time the US said they wouldn't build them. Now they are. Who has bought them.

The US never said that, hell it has nothing to do with the US government as they aren’t restricted like the F22 for example. The decision is down to Boeing, who have kept up a level of interest and support for new builds, there was offers to set up a production line in India if they had picked it but they didn’t. As to who are their customers, some European nations, some of the Arab nations.

You might be confused with the US restarting purchases of a new variant of the F15, that’s mainly to be a missile platform and to cover the aging out of the earlier F15s that never got replaced by the F22.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,037 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Who in their right mind would invade the Ukraine.

by your logic we could scrap the entire defence forces.. “ who in their right mind would invade Ireland “

you don’t have a defence force just to stave off an invasion you have it to defend against any attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,861 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I mean the US Air force said they didn't want new build F16's. I know they are being built for export.

Fire engines. Now that's a waste of money. Come out to put out the house fire after its already half burnt to the ground. May as well turn up with petrol.

So I don't get your posts, if you know they are for export whats the issue? LM (sorry the other guys, not sure why I said Boeing) will keep selling them as long as people want to buy them, at this stage the newest variants vastly exceed the capabilities of the F16's in US service though they are getting life extensions due to the replacement rate of the F35. Also technically you could argue the US is currently buying them for Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Great example Also NAS esp with the delays due to under resourcing sure the patient is dead when they get there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

A ridiculous comparison, the Ukrainian invasion has been coming for years. We are a neutral country, is this not one of the issues Putin has with Ukraine along with the threat of them joining NATO? Does the Ukraine have the same ties to the US and GB as Ireland? Like I said a silly comparison. Ireland is swimming in 237bn national debt, our health service is a joke, not to mention housing and people want to spend millions on big boys toys that will never be used except the odd joy ride around the country.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When you say Neural does it include the following?

1. Allowing American Military aircraft to refuel in shannon ( An keep it open in the early 2010s)

2. Allowing Aerflot use it during the height of the cold war

3. Allowing Dirty Russian Money hide in the IFSC

4. Allow unknown aircraft fly through Irish Air space possabilly causing an incident with civilian Aircraft.

5. Being neutral does that also mean being able to sit on the fence eating your corn flakes while we watch people be massacred?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The Slovakians are buying new F16s to replace their Mig 29s, deliveries starting in the mid 2020s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I’m liking the colour in the new casa, like the Kazakh Air Force colour scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

A couple of points,

1. Ireland is not a constitutionally politically and militarily neutral country, Our constitution prevents us from declaring war on any other country but allows us to enter a war if it comes to us. That's it.
    2. The Irish approach of undefended "neutrality" is unique in the world, and is nothing more than a shambolic cost cutting exercise. Other actually neutral countries around the world spend heavily on their defence budgets as they understand that while the chances of being attacked and of going to war are very slim, there is a requirement to provide a realistic defence for their people should the worst happen. The Irish attitude of "ah sure who would want to attack us" won't save us should the big bad wolf come huffing ad puffing at our door. Some examples of neutral counties in Europe are: Sweden, Pop: 10.3m, def budget: $7.18bn, Finland, pop: 5.53m, def budget: $6.26bn, Austria, pop: 8.9m, def budget: $2.92bn, and then there's Ireland, pop: 5m, def budget: $842m.
    3. As for other departments, that the DF does what it does with what it has is exceptional. Last year Social Protection budget was €33bn, Health was €21.7bn vs DF €780m, Even if the DF was properly funded and the budget was increased to €3bn it still would only come to 14% the Health budget and 9% the Social Protection budget.
    4. Irish people have a habit of thinking we're the happy go lucky paddies, sure nobody is going to attack us and sure the UK and US will come to rescue us if that does happen. Ukraine should show you that this is not necessarily the case. Ukraine is able to put up the defence they did because they had the base line to work from. If a similar situation were to happen here, Ireland as we know it would be wiped off the map while the UK and US were deciding whether or not to help. We cannot keep relying on others for our defence. We have to put on our big boy pants at some point and realise that if we want to pretend to be neutral then we had better put the bloody resources into doing it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I believe education on neutrality needs to be hammered home with a few folks especially the ones with pirate flags on twitter. I (like many others) obviously would like housing and healthcare to be normalised and not turned into a quango but the constant comparison between these departments and defence is non comparable due to the farcical amount in the difference. Again, Education on what our stance is on neutrality because the current status quo is not going to work in future(I don’t care how many d’velera quotes you may have) it is just not going to work and to get rid of the “whataboutry”. Brexit is key in the whole reliance of the raf on this issue and the fact that they will no longer fund defending us against fly bys, I would say the defence dprt could do a what is neutrality and where were are on it type of document but i doubt folks would read it and just stick listening to the PBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Finland and Sweden have started down road to joining Nato. Because they aren't fecking silly.

Also I see the PC9 over rathdowney today. Doing their thing

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Dont feed the troll Dohvolle. This same dogooder was probably one of the first to moan about the fact that the fishing industry stopped Russian war games from happening off our coast a couple of months ago, and the fact that our defence forces were basically helpless.

• Advertisement

Wow, an intelligent and well thought out response. Well done you.

I'm curious, which one of my posts do you think is trolling? Or do you regard anyone with a different opinion a troll?

It's my default response when someone wanders into this thread after 113 pages, spouts random nonsense that has been countered innumerable times, and gets uppity when someone shouts down their nonsense.

You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to tell you it is ill thought, inaccurate, and downright misleading. If that upsets you then perhaps the internet is the place for you.

The fact that you use Kremlin propaganda in support of your opinion means you are a tankie, who doesn't deserve any further engagement.

Спокойной ночи

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

The region around Ukraine has a long history of aggression and hostility as shown by Russia's recent invasion. On the other hand, we here in Ireland get on relatively well with our neighbors I can't see the UK or US invading us anytime soon..

You mean apart from the U.K. actively planning it in WW2 (and the US being extremely hostile to us at the same time). Neutral nations are in the view of international law meant to be able to ensure control of their territory (see any of the other European neutrals), we lack that ability in all respects.

This is an Internet forum and last time I checked threads are not private and are open for anyone to wander in and express their opinion at any given time, if that upsets you then perhaps the internet is NOT the place for you, there fixed that for you. It's a fact that one of the major beefs the Russians have with Ukraine was their intentions to join NATO, how is this regarded as Kremlin propaganda?

As a tax payer I am entitled to my opinion on how our Taxes are spent. And in my opinion we should not be wasting money on our military to prepare for an invasion that will in all likelihood never happen and if it did we are close ally's with two of the largest military forces in the world.

Clearly the Irish defence forces are using the Russian invasion as leverage to lobby for an increase in our military spending.

Yeah get their kids to come over and fight for our freedom what a self centered point of view we have... What makes you think they would do much more than impose a trade blocks on the invading country?

Seriously like bar getting there own people out.

EU would I guess but only they don't go down the same route you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭65535

I've no idea where the concept that we are 'neutral' comes from - maybe from the WW2 era.

We are actually a non-aligned nation and always have been - in the Cold War the USSR were allowed to land and use the facilites at Shannon on their way to Cuba - currently the US Air Force land at Shannon and no one bats an eyelid.

We are also in NATO - Yes NATO - the partership for peace part - ok not 'full blown' NATO but still involved.

We are also aligned with the EU Force which I presume will be a forerunner of any EU Military outfit - we go on exercies in Finland etc. to train.

People then have some notion that joining NATO would mean spending massive amounts of money to buy jets etc. - Just an example but Iceland in their wisdom rent out Keflavik Air Force Base to the US Air Force - the US stay on base only and are not allowed off. - Iceland gets to be in the NATO Umbrella and benefits from that - however they have no Army.

The current 'arrangement' of getting paid for the use of Shannon needs to be quantified more and understood - maybe we could benefit more if it was just leased out to the US Altogether.

EDIT: I think the best way we could contribute currently to the world situation would be to setup at least 2 fully equipped hospital ships and/or hospital aircraft - they would allow us to bring our own people home from conflict zones and also to run missions of mercy as deemed fit by our government.

Post edited by 65535 on

It’s cute when people who clearly don’t have a clue and little interest in learning get involved. The issue over capability of the DF isn’t new, and the Commissions Review predates the Russian invasion, we spent in terms of % far more up to the mid 90s of a much smaller economy on defence and nobody had issues with that then, and even the most ambitious spending suggestion would still be less than 1% of gdp, and basically only the same as what we spend on Justice and even then would still be tiny compared to the big spending departments.

How is it that other small European neutral states can and do maintain defence capabilities that dwarf ours, yet for some elements of Irish population it’s an impossibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Advertisement