Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry. I seem to keep asking these questions

Who is MUF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

amdublin wrote: »
    Sorry. I seem to keep asking these questions

Who is MUF?
    Makeup Fairy aka Joanne Larby.

When I first joined the blogger chat on boards, we weren't allowed to use real names. It took me so long and so many PMs to figure out who they were :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

Well isn't the post above not calling out a blogger? And there is nothing wrong with that discussion (so far :-) )Of course there should be a way of calling them out when they do wrong. But calling them awful names being bitchy towards their partners and their children even is not the way to get them to own up to those mistakes.
    I don't know what the answer is going forward but one thing I do think that we can do is perhaps not attack the blogger themselves but complain to the hand that's feeding them i.e the agencies. If they are signing up these bloggers they should be adhering to a code of practice within the industry. At the moment I see the agencies just there to make as much money as they can. They are throwing stuff at bloggers to advertise without any thought behind it. The baby pram and Rosie was ridiculous and at the moment the amount of bloggers showing those watches. All of this is down to the agency or agencies(not sure if there is more than one) but obviously they are not listening to consumers who are fed up with this crap. Why do they need to send it to all the bloggers at once? I'm sure the bloggers are not going to say no because if they do they will lose favour with the agency and be afraid they won't get work in the future.
    I think MUF was dropped by Andrea Roche but that was after all the BU stuff. Had the agency had more cop on it should have done so a long time ago but obviously money comes before ethics.

Emmser wrote: »

We all know you can’t call a blogger out. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blogger take criticism well. .

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Well isn't the post above not calling out a blogger? And there is nothing wrong with that discussion (so far :-) )Of course there should be a way of calling them out when they do wrong. But calling them awful names being bitchy towards their partners and their children even is not the way to get them to own up to those mistakes.
    I don't know what the answer is going forward but one thing I do think that we can do is perhaps not attack the blogger themselves but complain to the hand that's feeding them i.e the agencies. If they are signing up these bloggers they should be adhering to a code of practice within the industry. At the moment I see the agencies just there to make as much money as they can. They are throwing stuff at bloggers to advertise without any thought behind it. The baby pram and Rosie was ridiculous and at the moment the amount of bloggers showing those watches. All of this is down to the agency or agencies(not sure if there is more than one) but obviously they are not listening to consumers who are fed up with this crap. Why do they need to send it to all the bloggers at once? I'm sure the bloggers are not going to say no because if they do they will lose favour with the agency and be afraid they won't get work in the future.
    I think MUF was dropped by Andrea Roche but that was after all the BU stuff. Had the agency had more cop on it should have done so a long time ago but obviously money comes before ethics.

It’s not exactly the criticism I’m referring to until someone here sends So Sue Me a screenshot! :)

Yes I agree, I also think the ASAI need to buck up but I’m following this in the UK too and it seems to be the same shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

Where are you following the Uk bloggers, I would be interested in following this?

[QUOTE=Emmser;10788374but I’m following this in the UK too and it seems to be the same shambles.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Where are you following the Uk bloggers, I would be interested in following this?

If you follow Lydia e Millen she spoke about it recently and had a meeting with the ASA. Apparently it’s constantly evolving so their advice is never up to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

meeeeh wrote: »
    I didn't comment yesterday but I might just well. I clicked on one of the Reddit links that were posted and first thing I came across was how a friend of friend who works in some hotel said what a bitch SoSueme is and some other comments from hairdresser of a hairdresser or something. I didn't read on so maybe the rest of the thread was all butterflies and roses but that bit was just nasty gossip. And no I'm not fan of Suzanne Jackson, her style is awful in my opinion, I read it in a link that was supposed to prove how nice and supportive people on Reddit are. Well if that's when they are nice I'd hate to be around when they are not.

If you clicked a link and got straight in then you're in the public group, anyone can join and its just full of trolls. It's not the private reddit group emmser was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

RMC spending diary up. Okay, maybe I'm jealous or sarky, but I wish I could afford to fritter away €500 every week on basically nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

RMC spending diary up. Okay, maybe I'm jealous or sarky, but I wish I could afford to fritter away €500 on week on basically nothing.

She is saying she wont engage with any men via DM unless they donate via patron!
    Someone has to pay for that lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Is the Fit Fam Failures insta page gone too? Was it connected with BU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Went a few days after BU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There was no indication that it was connected, but it did disappear right after BU did (sorry, after a post saying they couldn’t be scared off that easily...). Either the owner got freaked out that they’d be identified, or it may have been linked to BU somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Faith wrote: »
    There was no indication that it was connected, but it did disappear right after BU did (sorry, after a post saying they couldn’t be scared off that easily...). Either the owner got freaked out that they’d be identified, or it may have been linked to BU somehow.

I don't think they were linked but probably kept in touch and then got freaked about BU, the papers did report on the death threats etc.

Pure speculation!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

She is saying she wont engage with any men via DM unless they donate via patron!
    Someone has to pay for that lifestyle.

She is actually just responding to men who slide into her DMs, with unsolicited messages, with a link to donate. She doesn't have to respond to anyone at all and they often send nasty messages so she may as well experiment a bit or have a laugh out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

So she'll talk if you pay her........uuummm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Carriexx wrote: »
    So she'll talk if you pay her........uuummm

Oldest profession sure

Did anyone watch RMC's Instagram stories this morning? Basically she got up really early so she could be in work early and then discovered that "Two Pups" doesn't open until 8am so was forced to get a coffee elsewhere which apparently just wasn't the same. She had to wait for "Two Pups" to open so that she could get her coffee and granola and didn't get into work any earlier anyway!

Am I the only one thinking WTAF here? No wonder most of her spending diary is made up of food! I can honestly say I don't know one single person who has breakfast out pretty much every single morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Did anyone watch RMC's Instagram stories this morning? Basically she got up really early so she could be in work early and then discovered that "Two Pups" doesn't open until 8am so was forced to get a coffee elsewhere which apparently just wasn't the same. She had to wait for "Two Pups" to open so that she could get her coffee and granola and didn't get into work any earlier anyway!

Am I the only one thinking WTAF here? No wonder most of her spending diary is made up of food! I can honestly say I don't know one single person who has breakfast out pretty much every single morning.

I eat breakfast in work - brown bread and eggs for a euro - not expensive.

I don't understand how anyone can afford the artisan porridges every day - it's actual madness.

I'm actually a fan of people donating and giving to patreon, for projects they support. I just couldn't support a blog about over priced coffee!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Seen this in the YLYL thread, very apt for some of the filters and photoshopping we see

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres a full page article about RMC in the current edition of the Phoenix. Says she told the journalist her standard rate for an Instagram post is 500 euro and that she once made 3,000 euro for a single gig. Goes on to say that she has positioned her personal brand to be a straight talker and an influencer for people who dont trust or even hate other influencers.

Article also states that the Advertising Standards Authority have seen complaints about bloggers rise ten fold in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theres a full page article about RMC in the current edition of the Phoenix. Says she told the journalist her standard rate for an Instagram post is 500 euro and that she once made 3,000 euro for a single gig. Goes on to say that she has positioned her personal brand to be a straight talker and an influencer for people who dont trust or even hate other influencers.

Article also states that the Advertising Standards Authority have seen complaints about bloggers rise ten fold in the last year.

And they will continue to do nothing about it..

Oh she's actually unreal. She's just been on now posting that she has a book club but you must be a patreon in order to join and patreons only will be granted access to her exclusive spending diary!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Oh she's actually unreal. She's just been on now posting that she has a book club but you must be a patreon in order to join and patreons only will be granted access to her exclusive spending diary!

Called it a while ago, throw **** at the wall and put the most popular **** behind a payway... savvy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Rmc is such a conundrum. I find so many insta ppl so unlikeable. But I really wanna like her. She has done my head in in the past with her propensity to join every victim hood that exists at the time but I've stuck with her this long. I think she's probably a lovely sincere person .... A good and loyal friend I'd imagine....but my god she's making it hard of late. How can u possibly order food in / eat food out that often. And then have the nerve to ask ppl to pay for watching u order it!!! Buy a flippin loaf of bread once in a while and make toast. Nobody cares if u eat out /smoke/get a taxi .... but asking ppl to pay for it is no better than what the fake / photoshopping/ non declaring bloggers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

RMC has now stated that some of her spending diaries going forward are going to be for patreons only.

I will still not be signing up.

I actually don't get the point of these anymore, the first few were interesting, and the idea of keeping a diary so that you're conscious of what your outgoings are and to perhaps make changes, but its so past that now.

Its the same every week, there is no conscious spending going on whatsoever, and no changes being made. Whats the point now?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

SozBbz wrote: »
    RMC has now stated that some of her spending diaries going forward are going to be for patreons only.

I actually don't get the point of these anymore, the first few were interesting, and the idea of keeping a diary so that you're conscious of what your outgoings are and to perhaps make changes, but its so past that now.

Its the same every week, there is no conscious spending going on whatsoever, and no changes being made. Whats the point now?

Me either. One of the blogs i follow does a weekly spending diary that i love. However that woman is a Boss. she has a really good job and her diary often talks in general about her work life and the struggles she faces some times.

It's also really interesting seeing her philosophy on money, for example preferring to live in a 2 bed apartment with her partner and child that they paid for in cash rather than in a huge house with a mortgage. However shes far from a skinflint and spends lots of money on whats important to her (food and fashion!)

That is a diary that i learn something from compared to rosemary's which i could probably write for her at this stage so i while i wold happily pay for the other blogers spending diaries i won't be supporting rosemarys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

SozBbz wrote: »

You're kidding - Patreon only? I mean, the spending diaries probably do get a lot of traffic but only because people are fascinated by how other people manage their money (I devour those 'how I spend it' stories in the broadsheets). I just can't see anybody paying to read 'ordered in from Boojum'.

I do think there's a lot to be learned by people being more transparent about money, seeing how other people manage at the end of the month, before payday. Look at Jack Monroe - not only is she a great cook but she is obviously also a fantastic manager of resources.
    Reading RMC's spending diaries, I was really tempted to give her my recipe for broccoli pasta but I couldn't think of a way of framing it without it sounding patronising or hopelessly deluded about my own skills as a manager of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yep, one in every four will be patreon only.

I just don't get it.

As you say, they're absolute clickbait, but beyond that...... not so sure what she's bringing to the party.

She's actually non stop eating at the same places, namely 2 Pups, The Fumbally, Boojum, Boco and Bombay Pantry. Now I like all these places, but like....not every day.

I love having breakfast out at the weekend, but probably only one morning. During the week I have porridge/overnight oats, not only for my bank balance and my waistline, but also who has time for all this faffing about before work! I'd rather stay in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'd love to know how she maintains her weight while eating out at least twice a day, every day, if not more.

I would eat the way she does while I'm on holiday once a year and usually gain at least 5-7lb over the course of a week or two, purely from not cooking myself and eating indulgently.

I would be the size of a small house if I ate out as much as she does. It isn't even about financials, because even if I could afford to live the way she does, I'd feel ill and sluggish from all the heavy meals. It just all sounds so unhealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sore head. Drunk post deleted. Ouch. * :(

Advertisement