Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

We'll have to disagree on that so but to me it's certainly not balanced. Anything positive about bloggers is downvoted. There may have been the odd positive comment but overall it is negative. I'm not in the "real" private group but can only imagine what's posted there.

Are we not on topic discussing cyber bullying accusations in the title above? To me most of what is posted on Reddit about bloggers is a form of bullying.
    wyrn wrote: »

Please stop tarring all of us on the different Reddit groups as being bitchy. Sure there was some bitchy comments like you'd see on any social media account, but overall it's well balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

We'll have to disagree on that so but to me it's certainly not balanced. Anything positive about bloggers is downvoted. There may have been the odd positive comment but overall it is negative. I'm not in the "real" private group but can only imagine what's posted there.

Are we not on topic discussing cyber bullying accusations in the title above? To me most of what is posted on Reddit about bloggers is a form of bullying.
    None of this makes any sense whatsoever. First off there's no "real" private group. There was the original one and then two that others from the public threads set up. There's different mods for these groups and different regulars. So to say that 1 group from your POV acts in a certain way, then the other group (that you allude to not being a member of) must be worse. Please stop tarring all of us with the same brush. Do you think the same about the boards private groups? For the record I'm not and never have been invited into a boards private group.

I know I've said it twice now, but I'm actually going to stop replying. I've done all I can to be open and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

wyrn wrote: »
    What's going on with her legs? https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmxs0YAhNNe/
    If you're wondering why her right leg looks thinner than the left it's cause it's partially blocked by a grey bag.

TheChizler wrote: »
    If you're wondering why her right leg looks thinner than the left it's cause it's partially blocked by a grey bag.
    Thank you! I knew it had to be something because I couldn't imagine anyone being that bad at Facetune. I just couldn't see the grey bag (or is it a case?) until you pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

You’re making things up to suit your own agenda. I’m in this “real” private group as you call it. Positive comments about bloggers are not downvotes. It’s actually very rare that any comments have a net negative downvote in the group. Of course there are not-so-favourable comments about bloggers as well, but overall there’s a generally positive vibe. The most downvoted comments are generally ones that are unnecessarily bitchy against bloggers, like comments about their weight or appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well spotted. I couldn't see that at all, I thought it was the side of the lift. It looks like a suitcase to me? Why is she bringing a suitcase to the gym? Or do I need to book an eye test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

GingerLily wrote: »
    They're not all her, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something was going on!

These conspiracy theories are getting ridiculous now. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

But that is the side of the lift? I can't see any bag there at all as there is a line running up the middle of the grey area which exactly lines up with the line on the side of the lift above her shoulder? I think her leg is just further back from her left one so it looks smaller but there's also a bit of facetune being used (she's no stranger to it in fairness)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

But that is the side of the lift? I can't see any bag there at all as there is a line running up the middle of the grey area which exactly lines up with the line on the side of the lift above her shoulder? I think her leg is just further back from her left one so it looks smaller but there's also a bit of facetune being used (she's no stranger to it in fairness)

Yeah, that's 100% the side of the lift. I think the bit of a blur that is being called a bag may either be a result of editing, or something to do with the shadows in the lift.

459198.png

SusieBlue wrote: »
    These conspiracy theories are getting ridiculous now. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really don't think that's fair. It's pretty well established that RT is no stranger to having more than one account in a place, or pretending to be someone else. It's not impossible that she has other accounts on boards, and could well be posting in this thread. As I said before, moderators have tools to check but if you know how the checks work, it's easy to get around them. They're also not infallible. I just checked myself and there's almost no link between me and my husband, despite us both being long-term boards users who are online daily and use the same Wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Faith wrote: »
    I really don't think that's fair. It's pretty well established that RT is no stranger to having more than one account in a place, or pretending to be someone else. It's not impossible that she has other accounts on boards, and could well be posting in this thread. As I said before, moderators have tools to check but if you know how the checks work, it's easy to get around them. They're also not infallible. I just checked myself and there's almost no link between me and my husband, despite us both being long-term boards users who are online daily and use the same Wifi.

It just comes across as really passive aggressive.
    You should surely be able to hold an opinion and defend someone without being accused of actually being that person using another account.

I have defended her in the past, I am not her, nor is there "something going on" to say I did that.

I'm similar to Meeeeh in that I don't follow any bloggers but am intrigued about the whole phenomenon and also interested in the possible negative impact it will have on the confidence of impressionable people. In fact I wonder at the self-esteem level of anyone who posts endless images of themselves.

The image that Wryn just posted of Joanne Larby confuses the hell out of me though. Isn't she quite a curvy lady? If so what is the point of the extreme photoshopping? She will be seen in public as her actual self. I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I don't get the thought process involved in being relentlessly called out on your photoshopped posts publicly, and then continuing to relentlessly photoshop your posts?

It's like this weird level of self-confidence and "fcuk everyone, I'll do what I want" that probably is admirable in a way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That picture is just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The image that Wryn just posted of Joanne Larby confuses the hell out of me though. Isn't she quite a curvy lady? If so what is the point of the extreme photoshopping? She will be seen in public as her actual self. I just don't get it.

This. All day, this.

I can't get my head around that at all. At the risk of over repating myself, Does she not see the faces of people who see her in real life for the first time.

14 year old girl on Insta: MUF? - Follow.
    Day 1. She looks a little like weird, but I like her style.
    Day 2. I still think she looks weird, but better tell her how fab she looks.
    Day 3. I better tell her she still looks fab.
    Day 4. I'll change the word fab to great, and add 'hun'.
    Day 5. I just passed who I think might be/must be Joanne Larby a.k.a MUF... :eek::eek::eek::eek: WTF?
    Day 6. Message all my friends "has anyone actually ever really seen MUF?"

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

I can truthfully discuss Reddit.

I was a member of the first private group and I came from here! I posted regularly and was ‘kicked out’ when people were sending screenshots to bloggers in an attempt to hurt them. This person was called ‘the mole’. Yes there were some ‘not so nice’ comments but I’ve seen similar here. When I was removed I came back here to try ‘re-ignite’ this forum. I spoke about it being a ‘clique’ and even after all that, was still welcomed back when they figured out I wasn’t ‘the mole’. So they aren’t the ‘mean bitchy girls’ I once wondered about too.

I rejoined under a different name. Every comment I posted on Reddit after ‘the mole’ incident, I always reminded myself there was a chance the ‘blogger’ being discussed might see it. Therefore, most of my comments were mild in comparison to what people write here even! Non the less, I received very few down votes and I had great laughs! The ‘private group/s’ have lots more on them than blogger stuff. There’s lots of support for pregnant women and women that are going through difficult times in their lives (cancer, separations etc.). I also loved the Netflix recommendations and even the book club!

I left the group as I was worried for RT and her health. There were comments about RT that I knew she had access to, that were nasty, more so than what was ever written about any blogger here or on Reddit. I felt uncomfortable, regardless of what she was or is guilty of.

I didn’t want to be a part of it for that reason only.

I’m over a month off it now and I miss the online friendships I formed. The majority of those there were just like me, loved beauty and clothes and liked following bloggers. They weren’t haters. I know this for a fact, if I ever mentioned anything negative about Pippa I was jumped on! I called her their ‘princess’ but that was only joking!

They really are a nice group of people, sure there’s an odd b!tch or two but I see they’re alive and kicking in here too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Suckit wrote: »
    This. All day, this.

I can't get my head around that at all. At the risk of over repating myself, Does she not see the faces of people who see her in real life for the first time.

14 year old girl on Insta: MUF? - Follow.
    Day 1. She looks a little like weird, but I like her style.
    Day 2. I still think she looks weird, but better tell her how fab she looks.
    Day 3. I better tell her she still looks fab.
    Day 4. I'll change the word fab to great, and add 'hun'.
    Day 5. I just passed who I think might be/must be Joanne Larby a.k.a MUF... :eek::eek::eek::eek: WTF?
    Day 6. Message all my friends "has anyone actually ever really seen MUF?"

My friend's met MUF in person. She said she looked like a completely different person than she does on her social media accounts.

Once people started figuring out the huge difference between MUF’s Instagram pictures and real life appearance, the wave of BU type accounts started. She fueled the majority of the content, to be fair.

For a while, it looked like she might have taken things on board and changed her approach, but no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

GingerLily wrote: »

Sure she is, if she was serious it'd be her "legal team" communicating with people about future legal action and not her writing poorly worded public messages.

• Advertisement

Once people started figuring out the huge difference between MUF’s Instagram pictures and real life appearance, the wave of BU type accounts started. She fueled the majority of the content, to be fair.

For a while, it looked like she might have taken things on board and changed her approach, but no longer.

It's a shame that she doesn't show how she really is. I struggle a bit with my body image and admire those who are proud of how they look be they curvy or thin. No photoshopping just real. MUF I think would be so much more popular if she could just be herself and no doubt she isn't the only blogger who gets carried away.

It's a shame that she doesn't show how she really is. I struggle a bit with my body image and admire those who are proud of how they look be they curvy or thin. No photoshopping just real. MUF I think would be so much more popular if she could just be herself and no doubt she isn't the only blogger who gets carried away.

I only started following her after everyone started talking about her here, but I think it’s awful that she’ll put up one supposedly “real” photo talking about body confidence, then follow it with a heavily photoshopped, poorly lit photo or video where she’s sucking her stomach in as her life depends on it with a caption like “tbt when I was skinny” or “I miss my flat tummy”. It just gives such a poor message to any followers who struggle with body image issues.

The sad thing is, (and as clichas it sounds) she looks lovely as she is. I'd kill to have her figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

As long as she doesn't tell people to be happy as/who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭margaretdublin

But isn't that how we should all behave when we write something about someone else? That regardless of their actions, you can still call them out without attacking them or calling them nasty names.

Emmser wrote: »

I rejoined under a different name. Every comment I posted on Reddit after ‘the mole’ incident, I always reminded myself there was a chance the ‘blogger’ being discussed might see it. Therefore, most of my comments were mild in comparison to what people write here even! !

But isn't that how we should all behave when we write something about someone else? That regardless of their actions, you can still call them out without attacking them or calling them nasty names.

My experience from the Reddit page is that bloggers take a tiny little section of a full conversation and post it on their page looking for sympathy and direct hate towards others involved in these discussions. I witnessed this happening so many times. Some people are crazy but truth be told, some bloggers are crazier!

We all know you can’t call a blogger out. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blogger take criticism well. That’s probably why they work so well by themselves, in a team environment you get used to criticism and develop as a result. In blogger land, any form of criticism is ‘h8’! You know they refer to anyone involved in ‘blogger forums’ on Reddit and boards as sad, lonely, blogger obsessed fools....I think you’re lovely Margaret, it’s just the bloggers who don’t.

My experience from the Reddit page is that bloggers take a tiny little section of a full conversation and post it on their page looking for sympathy and direct hate towards others involved in these discussions. I witnessed this happening so many times. Some people are crazy but truth be told, some bloggers are crazier!

We all know you can’t call a blogger out. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blogger take criticism well. That’s probably why they work so well by themselves, in a team environment you get used to criticism and develop as a result. In blogger land, any form of criticism is ‘h8’! You know they refer to anyone involved in Reddit and boards as sad lonely old fools....I think you’re lovely Margaret, it’s just the bloggers who don’t.

I didn't comment yesterday but I might just well. I clicked on one of the Reddit links that were posted and first thing I came across was how a friend of friend who works in some hotel said what a bitch SoSueme is and some other comments from hairdresser of a hairdresser or something. I didn't read on so maybe the rest of the thread was all butterflies and roses but that bit was just nasty gossip. And no I'm not fan of Suzanne Jackson, her style is awful in my opinion, I read it in a link that was supposed to prove how nice and supportive people on Reddit are. Well if that's when they are nice I'd hate to be around when they are not.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I didn't comment yesterday but I might just well. I clicked on one of the Reddit links that were posted and first thing I came across was how a friend of friend who works in some hotel said what a bitch SoSueme is and some other . I didn't read on so maybe the rest of the thread was all butterflies and roses but that bit was just nasty gossip. And no I'm not fan of Suzanne Jackson, her style is awful in my opinion, I read it in a link that was supposed to prove how nice and supportive people on Reddit are. Well if that's when they are nice I'd hate to be around when they are not.

Yes possibly gossip, but saying someone’s style is awful is hardly supportive either? See how things can be taken out of context? That’s what I mean when I say, I watched everything I said and I still do. If Suzanne Jackson logged on here today, she wouldn’t be happy you were defending some gossip queen against her, she’d be upset you didn’t like her style. She’d wonder why you felt the need to comment and she’d tell you to unfollow her instead of commenting about her on a forum. By contributing to this forum and discussing any bloggers, you are part of what they dislike. That’s what I hate, there’s literally nowhere to have a natter anymore. We are all tarnished as ‘h8trs’.

Yes possibly gossip, but saying someone’s style is awful is hardly supportive either? See how things can be taken out of context? That’s what I mean when I say, I watched everything I said and I still do. If Suzanne Jackson logged on here today, she wouldn’t be happy you were defending some gossip queen against her, she’d be upset you didn’t like her style. She’d wonder why you felt the need to comment and she’d tell you to unfollow her instead of commenting about her on a forum. By contributing to this forum and discussing any bloggers, you are part of what they dislike. That’s what I hate, there’s literally nowhere to have a natter anymore. We are all tarnished as ‘h8trs’.

I'm pretty happy with my comments. If someone sells make up or clothes I can decide if I like it or not, she sells certain look that's tacky and I have no problem commenting on that as I would have no problem commenting on new Balenciaga collection. But in practice it actually means I just won't pay any attention to SoSueMe products. However I do not peddle third hand gossip, not about Suzanne Jackson, not about Ramona Tracey or about anyone else. I have no problem with some blogger (or non blogger) being insulted by my comments as long as I can stand by them and they are not overly nasty.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with my comments. If someone sells make up or clothes I can decide if I like it or not, she sells certain look that's tacky and I have no problem commenting on that as I would have no problem commenting on new Balenciaga collection. But in practice it actually means I just won't pay any attention to SoSueMe products. However I do not peddle third hand gossip, not about Suzanne Jackson, not about Ramona Tracey or about anyone else. I have no problem with some blogger (or non blogger) being insulted by my comments as long as I can stand by them and they are not overly nasty.

That’s perfectly fair, but even your wording ‘tacky’ can be misconstrued. The ‘bloggers’ see boards and Reddit blogger forum contributors as, ‘sad, lonely, bitches’. And I don’t agree with this perception, that’s my point. I don’t think you’re a bitch and I don’t think I’m one and yet here we are!

Advertisement