Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Not to bring this to a bitchy place, because her weight is her business, but I don't think she is maintaining her weight. I'm pretty sure she's put weight on over the past few months. She's definitely nowhere near the size she was a few years back when she was eating steak and brocoli for breakfast and telling everyone how great it was and how sutsainable

She's addressed this briefly in her stories, but typically says something along the lines of how sometimes you need to eat food that nourishes the mind, not only the body. Fine in principle - but your mind isnt going to feel too fantastic attached to a sluggish body being asked to process far too much rich food.

I could afford her lifestyle, but I wouldn't want to. I know I'd be 2 stone heavier at a minimum, and I also think my money could be better spent, like on holidays and designer handbags and changing my car every 3 years. Its all about priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

SozBbz wrote: »
    I could afford her lifestyle, but I wouldn't want to. I know I'd be 2 stone heavier at a minimum, and I also think my money could be better spent, like on holidays and designer handbags and changing my car every 3 years. Its all about priorities.

Hehehe no offense but that is such an Irish tiger statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

You're kidding - Patreon only? I mean, the spending diaries probably do get a lot of traffic but only because people are fascinated by how other people manage their money (I devour those 'how I spend it' stories in the broadsheets). I just can't see anybody paying to read 'ordered in from Boojum'.

I do think there's a lot to be learned by people being more transparent about money, seeing how other people manage at the end of the month, before payday. Look at Jack Monroe - not only is she a great cook but she is obviously also a fantastic manager of resources.
    Reading RMC's spending diaries, I was really tempted to give her my recipe for broccoli pasta but I couldn't think of a way of framing it without it sounding patronising or hopelessly deluded about my own skills as a manager of resources.

I’d like your recipe! 🙂

meeeeh wrote: »
    Hehehe no offense but that is such an Irish tiger statement.

Oh I know it is - like who am i to say that the way I spend my money is better, its arguably all wasteful, but at least I have something to show for my spending, plus I'm not trying to charge people $1 per month to hear all about it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod: Not aimed at any poster in particular but just a gentle reminder about this part of the charter:

Personal abuse towards those in the social media/blogging industry will not be tolerated. Although they have put themselves in the public eye, criticisms should be directed towards their skills and the content they present, rather than their personal appearance. Such criticisms should be made in a civil way and personal abuse will not be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Faces by Grace has had a complaint upheld against her by the ASAI. She didn't #sp her recent work with Boots. Boots have said they provided a briefing document which included the detail for the promotion, a request for the inclusion of #sp or #ad on posts and a link to the ASAI guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Is it enough for them to write ad but not use the hashtag? I’ve seen it a good bit lately,writing as (ad) or AD?
    I would have thought the hashtag was so it would show up in a search.

Call me a cynic but would this whole patreon malarkey be due to the fact that she isn’t getting as many clicks to this diary as she had hoped? Y’know, create a bit of talk about it, it’s all publicity afterall.

Btw, I’ve never looked at a spending diary as it doesn’t appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Call me a cynic but would this whole patreon malarkey be due to the fact that she isn’t getting as many clicks to this diary as she had hoped? Y’know, create a bit of talk about it, it’s all publicity afterall.

Btw, I’ve never looked at a spending diary as it doesn’t appeal to me.
    I would have thought it was the opposite. I'd imagine her spending diary (and it's discussion here) has driven more traffic to her site, even just for a nose to see what she's spending. So what better way to capitalise on it's popularity than putting it behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I would have thought it was the opposite. I'd imagine her spending diary (and it's discussion here) has driven more traffic to her site, even just for a nose to see what she's spending. So what better way to capitalise on it's popularity than putting it behind a paywall.

I can see why she did it. People that don't like her really hate the spending diary, so why not make it available to just actual fans/supporters.

They're the ones paying her so at least her transparency is with them.

I don't read her spending diaries though, I've had the same dinner three nights in a row (a vegan one as well) in order to save money.

I'd be MUCH more interested in a thrifty spend diary, I know how to spend, it's saving that's the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I can't see what's going to be any different in the 'exclusive' patreon spending diary. They're all the exact same and completely predictable at this stage. Every month is pretty much 500 on food and that's about the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

How much is she charging for the access? Currently my subscriptions to Irish Times and The Times come to about 10 Euro each per month (something like that) for access to all their content. To pay for one nonsense blog full of made up spending to include pay links to restaurants, delivery services or clothing seems seriously poor value to me whatever the price is. who would pay for that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Has she many paying on Patreon now? Her link seems broken. Is the 'friend' in the diary her partner or just random friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

pc7 wrote: »
    Has she many paying on Patreon now? Her link seems broken. Is the 'friend' in the diary her partner or just random friends?

It's her dogs new daddy ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ah right, at least she's keeping him private, diary makes more sense now.

meeeeh wrote: »
    How much is she charging for the access? Currently my subscriptions to Irish Times and The Times come to about 10 Euro each per month (something like that) for access to all their content. To pay for one nonsense blog full of made up spending to include pay links to restaurants, delivery services or clothing seems seriously poor value to me whatever the price is. who would pay for that?

AFAIK Patreon works from $1 per month, but if you wanted to increase that amount, you can.

I totally agree. The only thing I pay a subscription for over and above the norm (ie, phone, tv) is my iCloud subscription which coincidentally is also $1 per month. This allows me to back up my phone which I couldn't do without. The alternative is replacing a very old laptop for a few hundred €€€ just so I have somewhere local to back it up but I've no other use for a personal laptop these days, and also iCloud is more secure.

RMC in comparison, seems like bad value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Out of curiosity I took at look at the spending diaries referred to here. The mind boggles. I cannot believe one individual can spend so much money on food, seemingly partly funded through anonymous donations (which i’m sure are declared to Revenue....)

Between me and my other half we have a household income of over €150k pa and i know we are very lucky. Yet we go food shopping every weekend, plan out our weekly meals which I cook when I get home. We probably get a takeaway or go out to eat once a week. I’m clearly not living life to the fullest or these bloggers are magicing cash out of thin air!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

Oh she's actually unreal. She's just been on now posting that she has a book club but you must be a patreon in order to join and patreons only will be granted access to her exclusive spending diary!

Ridiculous. I haven't watched her in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's her dogs new daddy

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Does anyone else think it's really bizarre that a blogger wouldn't make it known that they're working with Boots? What I mean is, if I was a relative nobody like Faces by Grace, I'd be delighted to publicise a partnership like that. Boots are a huge brand and, they may now think twice about partnering with her again. I just think it would really show people how well she's doing and how successful she's becoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

erica74 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's really bizarre that a blogger wouldn't make it known that they're working with Boots? What I mean is, if I was a relative nobody like Faces by Grace, I'd be delighted to publicise a partnership like that. Boots are a huge brand and, they may now think twice about partnering with her again. I just think it would really show people how well she's doing and how successful she's becoming.

In this case I do think it was an oversight. I think she had 7 snaps in a row and 6 of them were #ad. However grace is known for not declaring partnerships in general and has been warned by the ASAI previously.

I just think there’s so much gray area there. If they are given. Product for free then they don’t have to declare it and here is where I’ve a real issue with grace. Most bloggers let you know if it was gifted, even in a roundabout way. But grace seems to try and make it out that she bought it herself. I honestly don’t believe she buys anything herself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I wouldn't have called FBG a relative nobody, I don't follow her but she seems to have a large following.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ahayes84 wrote: »
    In this case I do think it was an oversight. I think she had 7 snaps in a row and 6 of them were #ad. However grace is known for not declaring partnerships in general and has been warned by the ASAI previously.
    But there shouldn't have been an oversight. She is, for want of a better word, a "professional blogger". Declarations of #ad or #sp shouldn't really be something she should be "forgetting" with her apparent experience in the area. Furthermore the fact that she has been brought to attention for this before, the fact that there is much discussion and focus on ad declarations in the blogging and influencing industry and also the fact that she was getting to work with such a big and well known company she should have been double checking and triple checking that all was in order.

From reading the publication by the ASAI it leads people to believe that with much guidance and hand holding, she still can't do her job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    But there shouldn't have been an oversight. She is, for want of a better word, a "professional blogger". Declarations of #ad or #sp shouldn't really be something she should be "forgetting" with her apparent experience in the area. Furthermore the fact that she has been brought to attention for this before, the fact that there is much discussion and focus on ad declarations in the blogging and influencing industry and also the fact that she was getting to work with such a big and well known company she should have been double checking and triple checking that all was in order.

From reading the publication by the ASAI it leads people to believe that with much guidance and hand holding, she still can't do her job properly.

Oh i agree with you i was just responing to the poster who thought bloggers would want to be associated with a brand like boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I say Boots are kicking themselves for picking her. I remember seeing their sponsored ad on FB with FBG and pretty much most of the comments were asking about her brand loyalty for Meaghers.

Between this and Rob Kenny, I bet they'll do more research on bloggers before sponsoring one again.

No not at all - how it works is this. Bloggers all know that if something is labeled #SP or similar that people tend to click through = lower engagement score. The reason they leave it out is in the hope that people engage at the same rate as free content. They can then take these statistics to show their "reach" which is how bloggers get selected for future campaigns.

Its all about the impressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Can some one clarify, if a blogger/ influencer recieves a gift, are they supposed to have #gift . I have been following Lisa lust list on Instagram, and to me it looks like she's getting lots of freebies but not a #gift in sight. The ood brand ambassador maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Birdsong wrote: »
    Can some one clarify, if a blogger/ influencer recieves a gift, are they supposed to have #gift . I have been following Lisa lust list on Instagram, and to me it looks like she's getting lots of freebies but not a #gift in sight. The ood brand ambassador maybe.

My understanding is that if it’s unsolicited press release mail or gift they don’t have to. But they also don’t have to show it. I think the #’s only come into play if the blogger/influencer is receiving some form of payment in return for specific content being created for the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I would have thought that if it is a gift from a company, then it would be considered a form of payment and therefore should have #ad at the very least.

No mention of #gift here
    https://www.asai.ie/press-releases/advertising-standards-authority-for-ireland-calls-on-bloggers-and-influencers-to-fully-declare-marketing-communications/

But it is mentioned here http://www.mcsaatchipr.com/influencer_marketing_regulations/
    The ASA consider influencer content advertising if it fits a two part test:

Payment or payment in kind (for example, gifting or a reciprocal arrangement) is received by the influencer
    The brand has control of the message

The ad disclosure must be clearly visible; for example, not hidden in truncated text on an Instagram post. You should not label an advertisement with #sp or #spon as people don’t understand that label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would have thought that if it is a gift from a company, then it would be considered a form of payment and therefore should have #ad at the very least.

No mention of #gift here
    https://www.asai.ie/press-releases/a...ommunications/

But it is mentioned here http://www.mcsaatchipr.com/influence...g_regulations/

Quote:
    The ASA consider influencer content advertising if it fits a two part test:

Payment or payment in kind (for example, gifting or a reciprocal arrangement) is received by the influencer
    The brand has control of the message

The ad disclosure must be clearly visible; for example, not hidden in truncated text on an Instagram post. You should not label an advertisement with #sp or #spon as people don’t understand that label.

That just mentions where gifts are received as part of a reciprocal arrangement and the brand has control of the message. If they are received through PR send outs, then the brand doesn't have control of the message so I wouldn't think that they have to # them at all. They could #gift to be fully upfront about it if it isn't obvious.

Advertisement