Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking: At least 1 man dead after stabbing rampage in Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Can a solicitor do that? Or are you making stuff up?

Remember When Larry Goodmans brother in law punched Desmond O Malley on a plane in Holland? His son had his father checked into a mental health facility to prevent Dessy taking him to court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just because this murderer is being held in the Central Mental Hospital proves nothing - in fact he's probably in there under the advice of his solicitor/lawyer. Checking into a mental institution is a time honoured way of avoiding the rigours of the law in Ireland.

Crap.
    You cannot just choose to check in to the CMH.
    In fact it quite difficult to be admitted and require 2 Clinicians to assess your mental health.
    The fact that the medical staff there do not believe he is fit to attend court now and is unlikely to be fit for some time is a medical judgement by them an has nothing to do with his lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Can a solicitor do that? Or are you making stuff up?

He's making it up,
    Just to suit his agenda,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Just because this murderer is being held in the Central Mental Hospital proves nothing - in fact he's probably in there under the advice of his solicitor/lawyer. Checking into a mental institution is a time honoured way of avoiding the rigours of the law in Ireland.

So a solicitor approaches two psychiatrists and asks them to falsify their psychiatric reports on his client. Or a young man with no education in mental health manages to deceive two psychiatrists during two seperate forensic assessments. Yeah, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

So a solicitor approaches two psychiatrists and asks them to falsify their psychiatric reports on his client. Or a young man with no education in mental health manages to deceive two psychiatrists during two seperate forensic assessments. Yeah, no.

What about if they couldnt make a diagnoses either way? Would they commit him as a precaution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Rory28 wrote: »
    What about if they couldnt make a diagnoses either way? Would they commit him as a precaution?

They would make assessments and possible subsequent diagnoses based on his behaviour and the reasons for his committal. If they found him to be sane and functioning then he would have been returned to Garda custody.

They would make assessments and possible subsequent diagnoses based on his behaviour and the reasons for his committal. If they found him to be sane and functioning then he would have been returned to Garda custody.

Its possible they are doing the subsequent diagnoses now. I guess time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He was sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What you should do is rock up to the CMH on Monday and ask to “check in”.
    Let us know how you get on.

Agree

But you surprised how many will think this is Mental Health issues though.

You agree that it’s just a question of the accused asking to be brought to CMH by AGS and the CMH admitting him.
    No questions asked.
    That’s amazing.
    It’s a wonder all accused don’t demand that.

• Advertisement

Remember When Larry Goodmans brother in law punched Desmond O Malley on a plane in Holland? His son had his father checked into a mental health facility to prevent Dessy taking him to court?

But did they check him into CMH or just an expensive private clinic where you can get in if you can pay?

There doesn’t have to be a “diagnoses” to recommend that someone is not fit to present themselves to a court.
    It may be months or years before there is a diagnoses.
    They don’t stamp “insane” on your forehead and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Man you have a lot to learn... I'd start with perhaps talking to some Irish protestants the majority of which didn't lord over anyone.... In fact we thought you a lot

Obviously not spelling ;)

I still stand by my point.
    Protestants in the 19th century had a lot more advantages going for them in comparison to Catholics.
    One big one was not being turfed out on the road to starve.
    Also wasn't it nice of some protestants to offer food, granted one had to convert to get it. ;)

And that is not even going back to the Penal laws which were only really overturned in 1829.
    The Act of union was meant to grant Catholic emancipation as power was removed from the Irish protestants ascendancy and transferred to London.
    The British government had agreed to it, but the king disagreed and it didn't happen.

Perhaps you can remind us all how non church of Ireland folk had to subsidise that church through tithes ?

Now it does have to be said that not all protestants were ar**holes and some genuinely tried to help the native Catholics, but they still enjoyed huge advantages over those same catholics just because they were protestant.

Presbyterians were seen as just a few steps above the old catholics and makes one wonder how they became so vehemently anti separationist.
    Was it fact they became wealthy and less radical or was it because the Irish freedom movement became so dominated by catholics as the 19th century proceeded ?

But isn't it enlightening how some protestants today still view the catholics of yesteryear as "scum and criminals" to quote yourself. :rolleyes:
    I work in science and I have never encountered anyone with the blinkered up the r hate the Brits attitude you have. In fact I mean no insult here but people with your views are usually bottom feeders. So well done in getting three degrees and not learning anything.

The thing is a lot of very educated people can be actual idiots when it comes to common sense, total knobends and often very dangerous people.
    Some very well educated people were leading Nazis.
    Hell the Einsatzgruppen were nearly all led by guys with doctorates of one form or another.
    Look through the list of Wannsee Conference attendees and see how many had doctorates and university education.

Nowadays the highly educated appear to be drawn to the polar opposite political opinion, which is leading us merrily down the road to societal destruction.
    Grayson wrote: »
    Especially not being able to critically assess a subject and blindly accepting any auld right wing drivel.

What about blindly accepting any auld left wing drivel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I work in science and I have never encountered anyone with the blinkered up the r hate the Brits attitude you have. In fact I mean no insult here but people with your views are usually bottom feeders. So well done in getting three degrees and not learning anything.
    WOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!! Where did you get that up the RA vibe from? Or that Brit hating? You certainly read that completely wrong ...... polar opposite in fact. I love British culture, many of my friends are British, plus as for the "up the RA", I am ex FCA (years not there for the boots) and I wouldnt be caught dead with them who are pro-immigration.
    I don't work in science, so obviously I'm not half as intelligent as Ash.
    Even so, I would never lead up to a calculated insult with "In fact I mean no insult here".
    "In fact" that is just lying.

Nor would I regard it as very "scientific" to make up random conclusions about somebody, without having any evidence to support them whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Small amount? We have taken in 70k muslims. What country has taken in muslims and integrated them correctly. When you integrate, you enter you take on the same religion, customs and traditions. This has not worked out well in Lebanon, Syria, France, Germany Britian, Sweden, etc etc and now Ireland.

Do not confuse the two different administrations in America. The previous one started these conflicts. Very easily Russia could sort this conflict out, but the result would be very bloody and the infrastructure would be beyond the stone age when Vladimir would be finished.

Take on same religion? Is everyone in ireland catholic? or can they pick and choose between atheist protestant or catholic because those 3 are okay? Just be anything but muslim

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

recedite wrote: »
    I don't work in science, so obviously I'm not half as intelligent as Ash.
    Even so, I would never lead up to a calculated insult with "In fact I mean no insult here".
    "In fact" that is just lying.

Nor would I regard it as very "scientific" to make up random conclusions about somebody, without having any evidence to support them whatsoever.

that's great.

that's great.

To be fair you stepped around a direct insult. You shouldn't call people bottom feeders. It's bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jmayo wrote: »
    What about blindly accepting any auld left wing drivel ?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who do that. I don't. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone as evidence driven as me.
    hell, the only reason I went back to university was to study philosophy and maths so that I'd be better at critical thinking.

It's the reason why i keep getting annoyed at people misusing inductive reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

splinter65 wrote: »
    You agree that it’s just a question of the accused asking to be brought to CMH by AGS and the CMH admitting him.
    No questions asked.
    That’s amazing.
    It’s a wonder all accused don’t demand that.

Not really

many do

Not really

many do

You just can't stand the fact hes probably mad, can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Odhinn wrote: »
    You just can't stand the fact hes probably mad, can you?

You're right

No I don't like the fact that he got mad and killed a young man.

was I meant be delighted?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irishvoice/ireland-and-its-muslim-population-in-a-post-charlie-hebdo-attack-world

49.5k...... that was a few years ago. Then you have to take into account the numbers who have "dissappeared" like in Germany and cannot be accounted for

Any tin foil hats for sale?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Any tin foil hats for sale?

You realise that an invisible muslim jihadi could be right behind you at this exact moment in time?

lol

not first time you taken post totally out of context.

next time you reply to a post of mine fast, read it first

What does your post mean then?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You realise that an invisible muslim jihadi could be right behind you at this exact moment in time?

He's behind me? What is this a panto?

Terry Pratchet

He's behind me? What is this a panto?

More of a jihanto.

More of a jihanto.

Modern day Reds under the bed?

Terry Pratchet

Yep - Scimitars under the setee.

They dont need to be under your bed anymore. They are in your webcam :eek:

• Advertisement

They dont need to be under your bed anymore. They are in your webcam :eek:

God love them if they're in mine....