Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

mkdon, Why are they moving out of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,760 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mkdon wrote: »

State street moving its operations to Drogeda

many companies moving out of Dublin not one way traffic

Opening an office in drogheda (a decade ago) isn’t moving operations they have a massive office in city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

also moved operations to Kilkenny and Naas ...the more mature MNCs are looking to move away from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

engiweirdo wrote: »
    15% unemployment in Waterford (ignore the schemes/Turas Nua figure massages) while FG ****e away about full employment. Ireland is as fcuked as ever for a lot of people and Dublin will be fcuked by trying to squeeze everything and everybody into it.

Why shouldn't the people of Waterford do something to make the place more attractive to business? You can't blame the government for everything... Large companies want presence in capital cities, that's a worldwide trend... What do people do in towns and cities in the rest of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

also moved operations to Kilkenny and Naas ...the more mature MNCs are looking to move away from Dublin

If you look at the list, it's not the more mature, it's the ones who are filled with comparitavely low paid staff.

• Advertisement

If you look at the list, it's not the more mature, it's the ones who are filled with comparitavely low paid staff.
    Isn't that the advantage of having a decentralised workforce? Why would they base themselves in secondary locations for the same cost as a capital city?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,760 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They opened regional offices bulk of the work force is in Dublin , the facts don't support your narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Isn't that the advantage of having a decentralised workforce? Why would they base themselves in secondary locations for the same cost as a capital city?

Yea I'm just saying that stellar jobs aren't heading to Waterford & Kilkenny etc. it's the ones they can't fill in Dublin as the salaries are too low compared to the cost of living.

Yea I'm just saying that stellar jobs aren't heading to Waterford & Kilkenny etc. it's the ones they can't fill in Dublin as the salaries are too low compared to the cost of living.
    I'm agreeing with you... Lower cost of living, lower salaries... It's a win win, they get employment and the companies fill jobs in a cost effective way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

agreed look at Northern Trust for instance... they have moved everything from Dublin to Limerick.. many MNCs have moved and will continue to move away from Dublin....

BNY in Kilkenny, Wexford .

State street moving its operations to Drogeda

many companies moving out of Dublin not one way traffic

You forgot to add that you are looking at the more tight fisted multinationals there. They wouldn't spend Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

15% unemployment in Waterford (ignore the schemes/Turas Nua figure massages) while FG ****e away about full employment. Ireland is as fcuked as ever for a lot of people and Dublin will be fcuked by trying to squeeze everything and everybody into it.

Why shouldn't the people of Waterford do something to make the place more attractive to business? You can't blame the government for everything... Large companies want presence in capital cities, that's a worldwide trend... What do people do in towns and cities in the rest of the world?
    Ah, I see. Its the people of Dublin who made the place so attractive for FDI and funnelled the vast majority of investment there so is it? Nothing to do with the government or IDA. By extension then it's our fault we don't get anything near the same investment or IDA attention. We should just suck it up and take the crumbs, it was our own doing anyway. Is that the gist of it?

It's funny... When you look at Brexit, and Goldman Sachs moving to molesworth street... The Ivy opening didn't happen now by accident, it was strategically put there to attract London business people, to offer them a slice of the life they are familiar with... Same goes for housing, shopping etc...

These are the influencers, the decision makers... They won't want to work or live in Waterford, they'll want some continuity of lifestyle... Same goes for Silicone Valley et all.

Ah, I see. Its the people of Dublin who made the place so attractive for FDI and funnelled the vast majority of investment there so is it? Nothing to do with the government or IDA. By extension then it's our fault we don't get anything near the same investment or IDA attention. We should just suck it up and take the crumbs, it was our own doing anyway. Is that the gist of it?
    Not what I said.

It's funny... When you look at Brexit, and Goldman Sachs moving to molesworth street... The Ivy opening didn't happen now by accident, it was strategically put there to attract London business people, to offer them a slice of the life they are familiar with... Same goes for housing, shopping etc...

These are the influencers, the decision makers... They won't want to work or live in Waterford, they'll want some continuity of lifestyle... Same goes for Silicone Valley et all.
    Which makes sense for finance, what difference does it make to manufacturing or similar. Why do the IDA default to Dublin sites every time for industries where location doesnt even make that much difference to client in spite of significant downsides in attracting workers?

And if it's a case of companies wanting to go where talent is why am I contacted multiple times a day about "fantastic" opportunities in Dublin? Surely if its overflowing with talent they neednt look toward uninterested outsiders?

Not what I said.
    It is though....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Which makes sense for finance, what difference does it make to manufacturing or similar. Why do the IDA default to Dublin sites every time for industries where location doesnt even make that much difference to client in spite of significant downsides in attracting workers?

And if it's a case of companies wanting to go where talent is why am I contacted multiple times a day about "fantastic" opportunities in Dublin? Surely if its overflowing with talent they neednt look toward uninterested outsiders?

Do the IDA offer Dublin sites first, or do companies say they want to be in the Dublin area?
    There are more highly trained people in Dublin than anywhere else. The recruiters trying to interest you in Dublin jobs could be offering the same jobs to a hundred people who are already in Dublin. Companies want to be able to choose from a deep pool of talent.

Galway is having massive success with its software and multimedia development. Limerick is rebuilding in a big way following the exit of Dell, the knock-on effect of the new movie studios has been huge for local business... Cork is a manufacturing and business center... We're only a small country, it would be difficult to get major industry into every city and village... The key is offering something of value....

RayCun wrote: »

Do the IDA offer Dublin sites first, or do companies say they want to be in the Dublin area?
    There are more highly trained people in Dublin than anywhere else. The recruiters trying to interest you in Dublin jobs could be offering the same jobs to a hundred people who are already in Dublin. Companies want to be able to choose from a deep pool of talent.

They probably are offering them to a hundred other people (if they can find them) I thought the bustling metropolis was supposed to cure their hiring problems though not cause them. But sure cram a few more in. Bus in more talent to pay €800 a month to share a bedroom out of your princely €30k salary in the hope of one day owning your own shoebox, maybe you could afford a child in your mid 40s. Keep the recovery going ya know.

And IDA visit numbers speak for themselves. The In Dublin Always only show companies regional sites as an afterthought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

There is no booming economy outside the greater Dublin area and Cork. The border region is -3100 jobs the past 12 months according to CSO figures this week and not a word about it. Brexit hasn't even kicked in and projections state rural and border areas will be hit much harder than Dublin.

It is GRIM times out there in rural Ireland. Can the last one out turn off the lights?

There is no booming economy outside the greater Dublin area and Cork. The border region is -3100 jobs the past 12 months according to CSO figures this week and not a word about it. Brexit hasn't even kicked in and projections state rural and border areas will be hit much harder than Dublin.

It is GRIM times out there in rural Ireland. Can the last one out turn off the lights?
    Jaysus, it's called rural Ireland for a reason. If it was full of multinationals it'd be referred to as urban Ireland. Give over your moaning. The housing issue isn't limited to Dublin, prices are increasing throughout the country, both urban and rural. Someone has the wealth to buy them.

• Advertisement

Galway is having massive success with its software and multimedia development. Limerick is rebuilding in a big way following the exit of Dell, the knock-on effect of the new movie studios has been huge for local business... Cork is a manufacturing and business center... We're only a small country, it would be difficult to get major industry into every city and village... The key is offering something of value....
    Indeed but I don't think Limerick is thriving as much as you state. What about the rest of the country, is it just to be vast swathes of economic and literal wasteland?

A lot of people don't live in commutable distance to Dublin, Galway or Cork.

........ The Ivy opening didn't happen now by accident, it was strategically put there to attract London business people, to offer them a slice of the life they are familiar with... Same goes for housing, shopping etc...

I think you are putting 2 & 2 together and getting minestrone soup.

Dublin can support the Ivy.....it's not really out of place.

Jaysus, it's called rural Ireland for a reason. If it was full of multinationals it'd be referred to as urban Ireland. Give over your moaning. The housing issue isn't limited to Dublin, prices are increasing throughout the country, both urban and rural. Someone has the wealth to buy them.
    By rural Ireland I mean outside the cities not just rural areas. Small town Ireland is even more grim than actual rural areas.

If you ventured outside the Pale once in a while you might know this.

Limerick is only barely ahead of Waterford and just as grim in parts. Galway has always been FF's pet project and is still feeling the effects. Dublin, Cork, Galways success all a result of government funding and efforts in their advancement completely disproportionate with their scale and at the cost of other locations.

Indeed but I don't think Limerick is thriving as much as you state. What about the rest of the country, is it just to be vast swathes of economic and literal wasteland?

A lot of people don't live in commutable distance to Dublin, Galway or Cork.
    I really don't get your point, are you saying that everyone in every part of the country should be entitled to work for Google, irrelevant of their location? Dublin, Cork, Galway is a very wide spread of industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

By rural Ireland I mean outside the cities not just rural areas. Small town Ireland is even more grim than actual rural areas.
    And what are they doing about this? Are they building greenways or are local politicians opposing them? Are they looking for fast broadband into the towns, or looking for billions to be spent bringing broadband to every boreen in the county? Are they investing in local enterprise, or sitting around moaning about why Google chooses Dublin city centre and not their local IDA warehouse?

if you ventured outside the Pale once in a while you might know this.
    Don't be so obnoxious

They might reckon you'd be interested in bettering yourself. If things are as bad as you make them out to be outside of Dublin etc you can't be enjoying it :pac:

Augeo wrote: »

They might reckon you'd be interested in bettering yourself. If things are as bad as you make them out to be outside of Dublin etc you can't be enjoying it :pac:
    The point is though it's not bettering yourself with the state of the property market in Dublin. I would be entering a significantly worsened situation.

I am currently unemployed in Waterford. I was contacted a few weeks ago by both internal and external recruiters for the same position at a large company in Dublin, all but begged me to interview for them, outlined salary, I said No, they upped it by €3k, I said Id think it over. now I have a young family so would need a 2 bed property minimum, did the maths based on what was available on daft in the area and take home after tax and not even allowing for having to stump up a serious deposit and uproot all our lives, Id be worse off on what was a very generous salary for a graduate in Dublin than unemployed in Waterford. Thats actually sick in fairness. Baffles me why any company could be bothered with the place.

• Advertisement

Limerick is only barely ahead of Waterford and just as grim in parts. Galway has always been FF's pet project and is still feeling the effects. Dublin, Cork, Galways success all a result of government funding and efforts in their advancement completely disproportionate with their scale and at the cost of other locations.
    Agree on Limerick it is grim. Today Fine Gael gave 1.6 million to Stillorgan library and 600k to some nonsense in Dundrum. Fine Gael are now a Dublin party and so are the others. The power keeps the D4 gravy train flowing.

There will be a Brexit/Trump type moment due to the neglect of Ireland outside the cities. I hear it every day from people, Peter Casey was the first sign of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement