Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer brought a digger onto my land

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If the OP won't go to a solicitor all advice here is wasted.

My feelings are that the OP will let him have the field to avoid a confrontation.

OP - Go to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Of course I'm going to go back to my solicitor. I have a path worn to her door about this and other matters. There's no harm hearing what people here have to say though. My solicitor isn't from a farming background either, she is often as baffled as I am by his carry-on.

I really don't think I'd get a tractor and a plough into the field, even if I wanted to. The part where he did the damage with the digger is just heaps of rocks and clay and some of the rest of it is so swampy you can't cross it in wellies. It really is a worthless little few sods.

I sent an email to an Taisce. It would be great if they got back to me with a bit of support. It's in a Special Protection Area so they might get behind it. The more replies I read here the less I feel inclined to lease the field to him.

I don't want people here to think I'm a helpless damsel, I'm notoriously cantankerous myself. Just ask the kids I teach! However it's nice to get moral support and helpful suggestions.

After 2 years I'd expect a solicitor to have it sorted to be honest. Or at least be well on the way to having it sorted.

Toying with the idea of leasing it to him for a tenner doesn't sound like it's sorted.

BattleCorp wrote: »

My feelings are that the OP will let him have the field to avoid a confrontation.

Eh... NEVER!

I'll let him use it (because I can't currently stop him), maybe I'll let him lease it in the future, but I absolutely will never let him have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

That's an idea. I could lay my cards on the table, tell them what I'm trying to do but I'm encountering difficulties and I need a bit of support. I would have no problem handing it over to them for the very long term, in fact. I'll try An Taisce and Biodiversity Ireland and see if they have any interest.
    Nobody else would possibly be interested in using the land. It's surrounded on all sides by my neighbour's land, it wouldn't be worth anybody's time.

Don't underestimate the potential - only you're still thinking inside the box! I'm well removed from Irish agri-politics, but I doubt An Taisce or the like would be bothered with a bit of land like that. You need to get on to some young environmentalist group, get them to help you set up a GoFundMe page, get some (amateur) wildlife photographers out to take good pictures of the fauna&flora, create a personality for the plot, maybe set up a Twitter profile (a bit like the Irish Border), offer to "walk the bounds" with significant donors, cups of tea for the lesser mortals, run a "bring your own sapling" hedge-planting weekend.

There's plenty you could do for next to nothing that would demonstrate your determination to defend your field without ever having to get nasty about it.

You could even invite yer man to join in the plant-a-sapling weekend, or at least clear the ditch for you, one last time ... :pac:

• Advertisement

After 2 years I'd expect a solicitor to have it sorted to be honest. Or at least be well on the way to having it sorted.

Toying with the idea of leasing it to him for a tenner doesn't sound like it's any way nearly sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Eh... NEVER!

I'll let him use it (because I can't currently stop him), maybe I'll let him lease it in the future, but I absolutely will never let him have it.

You currently can stop him.
    You tell him to stay the fcuk off your land.
    End of.
    Don't be afraid to confront. He's not afraid to take ya for a mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

How much land is involved,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The bit the OP mentioned about the land being surrounded by this neighbour's land is very pertinent.

I've often seen this scenario where the bully really wants to drive you out, as your like an alien presence in what he half considers to be his.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Stick up a for sale sign.
    Generate a bit a gossip if nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Get a better solicitor who is from the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You could, if the travelers ever call to your house, or am opportunity for coversion ever arises with them, drop it in with them something along the lines of the neighbor is tight af, doesn't spend a penny and doesn't trust banks. And that he has a lovely chainsaw and generator cos he did work for you last year etc.
    Then you could hope that they would at some stage pay him a late night visit looking for the mattress full of cash.

Mod
    Encouraging a burglary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

^^^^ Absolute genius right there....

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

You could, if the travelers ever call to your house, or am opportunity for coversion ever arises with them, drop it in with them something along the lines of the neighbor is tight af, doesn't spend a penny and doesn't trust banks����. And that he has a lovely chainsaw and generator cos he did work for you last year etc.
    Then you could hope that they would at some stage pay him a late night visit looking for the mattress full of cash.

What would that solve?

I'm pretty sure the OP just want's him to leave her and her land alone but doesn't want any harm to come of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A little late night visit from a certain community fond of cash, copper and power tools might degrade the neighbour's ability to interfere with OPs property.

And karma.

Mod
    Bad idea

A little late night visit from a certain community fond of cash, copper and power tools might degrade the neighbour's ability to interfere with OPs property.

And karma.

Very clever move to bring them on to yourself then, they won't be long spotting how vulnerable this lady is and she could be getting visits too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

It's the farmer's responsibility to erect a livestock proof fence around his property, rather than your responsibility to put up a fence to keep them out. Start playing hardball, and take him to court for damages each time he or his cattle damage your property.

This thread is becoming a little annoying. The OP wants to play softly, softly with this bully despite almost 100% agreement from posters that this needs a tough approach with gardai and a solicitor for every illegal deed done on her land. Looking up land folios and grant claims are side issues.

I'm out of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

seagull wrote: »
    It's the farmer's responsibility to erect a livestock proof fence around his property, rather than your responsibility to put up a fence to keep them out. Start playing hardball, and take him to court for damages each time he or his cattle damage your property.

That's not how it works. Op maybe be equally or wholly responsible for fencing. Depends on the deeds.

Op: bad idea to lease it to him, worse that you are thinking of doing it for a nominal fee. Sack your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

This tale could make a great drama. You could call it .. I dunno .. "The Field". It would need some tragedy, more rivalry and tension and of course a love interest.
    Maybe a wealthy returned emigrant who'd like to buy the field and set up a nature reserve confronts the neighbour in the village square.
    Then the OP realises her secret desire for the neighbour ... maybe that's not quite realistic. The farmer realises dairy is unstainable.

Let me give it more thought ...

[Edit] The solicitor is in cahoots with ( in debt to) the farmer and deliberately gives bad advice to the OP who is only saved from acting on at the last minute by ...

• Advertisement

This tale could make a great drama. You could call it .. I dunno .. "The Field". It would need some tragedy, more rivalry and tension and of course a love interest.
    Maybe a wealthy returned emigrant who'd like to buy the field and set up a nature reserve confronts the neighbour in the village square.
    Then the OP realises her secret desire for the neighbour ... maybe that's not quite realistic. The farmer realises dairy is unstainable.

Let me give it more thought ...

I'm not a wealthy returned emigrant but I'm a blow-in who doesn't go to mass, will that do?

Really though, I don't know why people feel I have an obligation to create conflict and drama to keep the thread interesting. I have explained why I won't be resorting to drastic solutions, that doesn't mean I'm going to let the thing slide altogether. It's very easy to suggest grand gestures that would bring matters to a head when you don't have to live with the consequences.

I'm grateful for a lot of the input here. Definitely clarified my thinking and gave me confidence that I'm not the crackpot in this situation.

I hear back from An Taisce today, by the way. Mildly encouraging, but nothing to get excited about.

[Edit] The solicitor is in cahoots with ( in debt to) the farmer and deliberately gives bad advice to the OP who is only saved from acting on at the last minute by ...

...the intervention of the sexy wealthy bachelor in the manor house on the hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'm not a wealthy returned emigrant but I'm a blow-in who doesn't go to mass, will that do?

Really though, I don't know why people feel I have an obligation to create conflict and drama to keep the thread interesting. I have explained why I won't be resorting to drastic solutions, that doesn't mean I'm going to let the thing slide altogether. It's very easy to suggest grand gestures that would bring matters to a head when you don't have to live with the consequences.

I'm grateful for a lot of the input here. Definitely clarified my thinking and gave me confidence that I'm not the crackpot in this situation.

I hear back from An Taisce today, by the way. Mildly encouraging, but nothing to get excited about.

You need to be careful, giving him access to the land is a very very bad idea. You should strongly consider getting a solicitor who has experience of this sort of thing. I know you don't want to escalate things but it appears as far as the farmer is concerned the battle has already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I didn't, I don't, honest. Just having a humorous flight of fancy - or trying to. You're the one on the spot. Decision is yours ultimately.
    People get invested in their advice. For me it's a revealing situation about country life.

I wasn't casting you as the returned emigrant. You'd be the tragic victim probably. Sorry, but not a dry eye in the house - guaranteed.

I didn't, I don't, honest. Just having a humorous flight of fancy - or trying to. You're the one on the spot. Decision is yours ultimately.
    People get invested in their advice. For me it's a revealing situation about country life.

I wasn't casting you as the returned emigrant. You'd be the tragic victim probably. Sorry, but not a dry eye in the house - guaranteed.

I didn't mean you! I mean those who are annoyed that I'm not escalating things to an all-out death-or-glory siege.

Finish your screenplay and get back to me. We might get this done in time for the oscars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Eh... NEVER!

If you're solicitor hasn't sorted it in 2 years , you need a new solicitor who knows what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,262 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's a possibility that your beehive might be facilitating the farmers grant payments.
    I see a lot of farmers having to establish bee hives in corners of fields. He could be laughing his hole off and including your bee activity as part of his farm plan for his payments.
    You need to get him out. Full stop. You are not winning by photographing the beehive every so often. If you continue this, you will find yourself in court in a number of years trying to defend his application for ownership and he will produce a farm plan from his agricultural consultant showing this field included in his lands and the beehive incorporated also.
    Your argument that the bees are your work could then be null and void.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 rusticalo

an all-out death-or-glory siege.

Ah give over with the dramatics. It just means politely standing up for your rights. You OWN the field for fecks sake.

I wrote a long post explaining details about this situation but I'm actually not going to keep defending myself.

If you're taking my moderate approach to all this so personally that it's annoying you then maybe it's time to call it a night.

Thanks to everybody who offered advice, support and expertise. I really do appreciate it.

Mods, you can close this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

How did you come to own?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement