Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer brought a digger onto my land

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Update:
    Nothing to report.

Am I doing this right?

Now make sure you update us every single day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Aside from the side issues here of who said what to which poster....
    Be careful which advice you take notice of on here, cos not all of it is right...
    I get that you want a quiet life... And I get that offering a lease does offer some legal protection,to adverse possession...
    I just can't see it ending well, this is probably what this bollix lives for... Oh I have a lease so I'll spread slurry next to your house, oh I've a lease so I knock your ditches, cut down your trees, make the place unpleasant for you... If the lease ends then good, if not sure its like free land,
    The nominal rent might be payed the once, but you'd likely never see it again, (Shure it's only a tenner), but if you don't collect then he's back on his way to acquiring it...

Lease it for a nominal sum, sure, just not to him... Anyone else but this guy.... And in the meantime take the gates off...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭893bet

I talked to a guard who said he would have the traditional 'quiet chat' with my neighbour. I have no way of knowing if this happened, but things went quiet for a while so I like to think he got a talking-to.

I have no interest in getting into any shouting matches with this ape. If I lease him the land for a very low price he can tell himself that he has got a bargain and that he has put one over on me. I'll get the lease signed, proving for once and for all that he acknowledges that I own the field, and that's all I want. I plan on donating the proceeds annually to the ISPCA anyway. When I tell him I've done that his ulcer will explode.

There is a million ways you can prove you own it with out leasing it. You don’t need him to acknowledge any of them. Adverse possession is very difficult to attain. Simply by talking to the guard about it (assuming he entered it into the system) would reset the “clock” for anyone to claim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Jokes aside, I do appreciate the input I have received on this and other threads.
    I am well outside my area of expertise here, I repeatedly met dead ends when dealing with dept of ag staff to try to chase down information about my own land. Defeated, I would lose interest for a while until yer man did something to get me riled up again. That's why this saga has stretched out over a number of years. I have plenty of other things to occupy my mind, I don't spend my days fuming across a hedge at my neighbour.

I understand why so many people are suggesting drastic action but I am consciously playing it safe.
    I don't have the sort of cash required to fence off the field at the moment. I just don't. I have no way of keeping his stock out of the field. If I could show you the layout you'd understand. I have no immediate need for the field either, so I don't care if it's grazed. The beehive is staking my claim for now, and he'd be a foolish man to attempt to disturb those particular bees. Every time I go down there I take pictures, hopefully resetting the clock on an adverse possession claim.

I don't need income from the field and I don't need (or want) to sell it. I need a formal agreement that acknowledges that I own the field so he stops his stupid ploy of pretending he believes he has a right to it. If he thinks he has tricked me into leasing it for a low price I will consider that a victory of sorts as long as he signs the lease.

I don't know if I mentioned this before on this thread but I planted hundreds of trees, (alder, hazel, willow and mountain ash) in that field one Easter. On my own with a spade, following advice from an EPA official. Not one of those trees remains. Not one. Some were crushed by the digger and all the rest appear to have been torn up by hand or damaged by cattle. I could lose my mind over the injustice of this or I could continue to enjoy the biodiversity that is still there and try to come up with another plan. The trees were free, I enjoyed the few days work of planting them, I have lost nothing really. I can't finance grand dramatic gestures, so I need to hold my ground and force him to accept that I'm not going to hand the field over to him. He's apoplectic over it, I am calm and bemused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

He's apoplectic over it, I am calm and bemused.
    Really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately these things often end only when someone goes too far.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately these things often end only when someone goes too far.

You might be right but I won't be the one to take things too far.

I should probably add that what we're talking about here is less than a hectare and a half of the most miserable, tussocky, swampy scrub land you can imagine.

It's teeming with wildlife though, frogs and dragonflies and bats and hares and anything else you care to name. No hedgehogs as far as I can tell.

Could anybody offer an estimate of the going rate to lease poor quality land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I talked to a guard who said he would have the traditional 'quiet chat' with my neighbour. I have no way of knowing if this happened, but things went quiet for a while so I like to think he got a talking-to.

I have no interest in getting into any shouting matches with this ape. If I lease him the land for a very low price he can tell himself that he has got a bargain and that he has put one over on me. I'll get the lease signed, proving for once and for all that he acknowledges that I own the field, and that's all I want. I plan on donating the proceeds annually to the ISPCA anyway. When I tell him I've done that his ulcer will explode.

But he has got a bargain. A tenner a year.. I feel really sorry for you as you seem like a lovely lady. However you are being bullied. It's likely that if a big, thick individual, who he knew, would offer resistance, owned this land he'd behave himself. Gardai, solicitors are the only way to sort this. I'm born and bred in the hills and have seen this type of individual so many times.

I don't mean to sound harsh as you are obviously a very good person and need support.

plow it

No the lady should do what ever she intended doing with her land.

Bullies have to be confronted eventually in a strong manner.

OP do you feel isolated, threatened in any way? Has this fella a lot of relatives, standing in the community like 'great GAA man, community man'? Not belittling GAA, but some of these 'local legends' are main men in the community and it may make it feel harder to take them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'd agree, get it ploughed. A contractor will do it and it won't cost the earth.
    Ploughed land won't be any good to him and he'll have no cattle on it.

I've 4 acres and not a farmer but thankfully have some good neighbours who want to rent my land at a fair price and will look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Why would he rent what his cattle can graze on for free

• Advertisement

I'd agree, get it ploughed. A contractor will do it and it won't cost the earth.
    Ploughed land won't be any good to him and he'll have no cattle on it.

I've 4 acres and not a farmer but thankfully have some good neighbours who want to rent my land at a fair price and will look after it.

I understand the logic behind this suggestion but for a number of reasons it's not an option. Mainly because of the wildlife that's down there, but also because of finances and logistics. Also because it is an escalation in hostilities.

Also because it is an escalation in hostilities.

Appeasement never ends well with bullies. Be it on an international scale or a field. It's all very fine saying you are content but you wouldn't have opened the thread unless you felt wronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If your interest in the land is more ecological than financial, would you consider leasing it for the same notional (even peppercorn) rent to a like-minded association, or a school, or some other non-profit organisation? With/without the condition that they put up a decent fence at their own expense. Outsource your irritation to a wider group - more people aware of exactly where the boundary is, and to take offence at wilful destruction if the same continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^ I was just thinking similar. Biodiversity Ireland etc? If you can explain to them about the wildlife & you only want it for bees, they may express some interest.
    I've no idea if they would or not but it's another direction to think about.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Even in the interim, you should put up an electric fence to stop his cattle coming in and damaging the habitat. They wont knock the fence!

If your interest in the land is more ecological than financial, would you consider leasing it for the same notional (even peppercorn) rent to a like-minded association, or a school, or some other non-profit organisation? With/without the condition that they put up a decent fence at their own expense. Outsource your irritation to a wider group - more people aware of exactly where the boundary is, and to take offence at wilful destruction if the same continues.

That's an idea. I could lay my cards on the table, tell them what I'm trying to do but I'm encountering difficulties and I need a bit of support. I would have no problem handing it over to them for the very long term, in fact. I'll try An Taisce and Biodiversity Ireland and see if they have any interest.
    Nobody else would possibly be interested in using the land. It's surrounded on all sides by my neighbour's land, it wouldn't be worth anybody's time.

If it gets ploughed he will be back in it the following year.

Nobody else would possibly be interested in using the land. It's surrounded on all sides by my neighbour's land, it wouldn't be worth anybody's time.

That’s the key. He is a bully.

How did it come to your ownership? Or rather was it ever in his family ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Left of field option for ya:

If you live near any sound members of the travelling community you could set the land to them for a nominal fee for grazing for their horses.

I'd bet your neighbour wouldn't have the stones to act the c#nt with the land then.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

If you live near any sound members of the travelling community you could set the land to them for a nominal fee for grazing for their horses.

I'd bet your neighbour wouldn't have the stones to act the c#nt with the land then.

You do realise the land is also right next to OP's house???

• Advertisement

You do realise the land is also right next to OP's house???

There's cattle grazing it at present. Horses ain't going to be much different.

But I will admit the above suggestion was meant in a more tongue in cheek manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Start a goFundMe page for the fence. You might get enough for a few tank traps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I don't think the way to put out the fire is to load it with gasoline somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

There's cattle grazing it at present. Horses ain't going to be much different.

But I will admit the above suggestion was meant in a more tongue in cheek manner.

It's not the horses I'd be worried about.

Anyway OP fair play to you for standing up to him, land ownership can often be the cause of conflict in a way that can seem bizarre to non-farmers.

For what it's worth, there's no way I'd be doing any deal with him whatsoever that would mean he has use of your land - it's less involvement you wan't with him, not more!

Panthro wrote: »
    I don't think the way to put out the fire is to load it with gasoline somehow.

Operation Rolling Thunder FTW

893bet wrote: »
    If it gets ploughed he will be back in it the following year.

What makes you think that.?

Ploughing it establishes beyond question ownership and wildlife will come back in a couple of years.

The time for placating him is past.

Ploughing it establishes beyond question ownership and wildlife will come back in a couple of years.

What makes you think he wouldnt be back in a year.

He not under the illusion he owns. If he was it would be him trying to get the OP out. He is trying to stake a claim and scare the Op off.

He not under the illusion he owns. If he was it would be him trying to get the OP out. He is trying to stake a claim and scare the Op off.
    I'm sorry, but you made the statement. It's up to you to back it up.

It would take a few years for vegetation to take hold again
    No good for grazing for a long time.

• Advertisement

Have you even read the thread? It’s not a nice green pasture field. It’s scrub basically as it stands and he is already “grazing” it.

Plough it and it will be full of various vegetation in a year and he will be there.
    Plough it and maybe he will stick a ring feeder in it and start outwintering cattle in it...who knows what he is capable of doing.

Ploughing it will not make him understand he doesn’t own it based on his actions to date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement