Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer brought a digger onto my land

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

your too soft.
    turf them out

I see exactly what you mean, but I have no immediate need to do anything with that field and so I can afford to be reasonable.
    I'm not going anywhere and they're not going anywhere. It's worth being accommodating and pleasant if we have to pass each other on the road a few times a day.
    Also I'm hoping they'll pick up on the gently implied threat that if they don't do things my way I'll have no choice but to go back to the dept with my information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

send them a lease. either they sign up to a proper least at proper rates or get out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I had to go back and read the thread.

Sorry to hear that after nearly two years you have not sorted this out.

You are dealing with a blackguard.
    Get a fencing contractor in and fence your land properly.
    Put a lock on your gate.
    Have no truck with this man or any of his family.

Be prepared to go to law to protect your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I'm curious whether you got to talk to the Gardaí. Also, did you talk to a solicitor.

I get the sense that rather than confrontation you would prefer smart moves. It's certainly true that some people feed on conflict and if your neighbour is like that, then smart short-circuiting might be a better approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Have you tried punching a hole through the back of his head?

Mod
    Such advice not condoned here. Pls stay off this thread

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    I'm curious whether you got to talk to the Gardaí. Also, did you talk to a solicitor.

I get the sense that rather than confrontation you would prefer smart moves. It's certainly true that some people feed on conflict and if your neighbour is like that, then smart short-circuiting might be a better approach.

I talked to a guard who said he would have the traditional 'quiet chat' with my neighbour. I have no way of knowing if this happened, but things went quiet for a while so I like to think he got a talking-to.

I have no interest in getting into any shouting matches with this ape. If I lease him the land for a very low price he can tell himself that he has got a bargain and that he has put one over on me. I'll get the lease signed, proving for once and for all that he acknowledges that I own the field, and that's all I want. I plan on donating the proceeds annually to the ISPCA anyway. When I tell him I've done that his ulcer will explode.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Have you tried punching a hole through the back of his head?

Ah now. He's a simple farmer, just trying to make an honest living on the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd be really petty about something like this. Find another farmer who the first guy hates and rent/sell the land to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If you try to rent it to him he will just laugh at you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

plow it

• Advertisement

Ginger83 wrote: »
    If you try to rent it to him he will just laugh at you

Except that I now have proof that he has been claiming farm payments on land he has no business with. He can laugh if he wants but the dept of ag won't find it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The department won't get involved in the issue of his grant claim.
    He will reasonably claim that he has to date been in possession of the field and is only aware that you are claiming ownership as of this week. He will state that he is therefore beginning a claim for adverse possession.
    Probably stop his grants for a while but not a clear cut as you think.
    You seriously need to exclude him from the lands. No silly leases, no continuing with him roaming freely over it. Get him locked out and immediately report to gardai if he goes back in.
    Issue notice to cease claiming on your lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Seriously.
    Stop messing about and get this guy off your land.
    If anything should happen to you he is the kind of person who would come to your funeral while plotting to rob your successors.
    Safeguard your property without further delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

You come across as a genuine, honest person but unfortunately some people see can that as a sign of weakness and take advantage.
    I think you need to go back to the gardai.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hello there

You need to contact a solicitor.

Only a solicitor can access the Courts to have an injunction taken restraining him from entering your land which is what is required.

Claiming payments for your land is fraud- again a solicitor can assist.

If you are allowing his animals on your land then he could have claim for adverse possession- this must be stopped immediately. Again a solicitor will be able to assist.

A lot of information on this thread is incorrect. Go to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

*Proposed conditions:
    The lease is on a yearly basis, my beehive remains where it is, I have continued access to the hive and the field, no heavy machinery is to be brought into the field and no alterations made to drainage, hedges etc without consultation.

This man is already taking liberties when he has no rights to your land and you think you can control/influence his behaviour by giving him legal rights to access with a lease.
    This is not a logical conclusion based on his past behaviour.
    Your subtle plan will be interpreted as weakness and likely to encourage more trangressions. What then? You'll be the one with the ulcer dealing with the consequences.
    And how much time and solicitor fees will be involved with the lease? For €10 a year rent?

This man needs to be kept at arms length. Not engaged with in agreements, whether informal or legal.
    Other posters have already advised padlocks, fences, legal notices. I agree with them.
    Put the fraudulant Ag payment aside and deal with that as a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

plow it

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

OP, if you give them an inch, they will take a mile...they already have... You are not being reasonable. You are failing to defend yourself and your property. They will exploit you MORE due to this.

If you can get planning permission for, and have the spare money for, some fuck off massive/thick steel pole fencing, driven deep - then do that. Fuck him. Get onto a solicitor straight away, and discuss getting the Guards involved, with your solicitor. Explore all legal options.

Failing that, you will want to consider leaving - no matter what you do, they are going to be stress and trouble for you. There is no dealing with such people in a nice/pleasant way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Personally I don't see why anyone would continue to contribute thoughts, consideration and sincere advice into this thread when you randomly disappear without a trace for 1 year and 9 months and only come back when its suits you?

Let me be clear, it is most definitely my opinion that these threads should run both ways and I think you've been quite selfish, thoughtless and rude in your approach.

Obviously if you felt it best to be a little more discrete then people would have understood this and you could have posted as such in a brief explanatory message - This would have been courtesy and basic good manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Personally I don't see why anyone would continue to contribute thoughts, consideration and sincere advice into this thread when you randomly disappear without a trace for 1 year and 9 months and only come back when its suits you?

Let me be clear, it is most definitely my opinion that these threads should run both ways and I think you've been quite selfish, thoughtless and rude in your approach.

Obviously if you felt it best to be a little more discrete then people would have understood this and you could have posted as such in a brief explanatory message - This would have been courtesy and basic good manners.

Are you the other farmer Joe?
    Nobody is expected to update threads in any matter of time. People have lives outside of Boards and obviously post as and when they wish. Your reply actually comes across as rude and entitled of a reply. The OP can post when and how often they like. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Are you the other farmer Joe?
    Nobody is expected to update threads in any matter of time. People have lives outside of Boards and obviously post as and when they wish. Your reply actually comes across as rude and entitled of a reply. The OP can post when and how often they like. :rolleyes:

I understand your reply 100% and anticipated such responses - Also I did consider the angles around entitlement from both perspectives and what the OPs situation entails.

I just happen to think its rude to come to a community asking for help and advice and then feck off for 21 months without an acknowledgement, thanks or any second thought to all of the people who offered up their thoughts, advice and consideration in good faith.

For me it was a matter of etiquette, consideration and basic good manners.

I completely understand that people will see that differently...that's fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I understand your reply 100% and anticipated such responses - Also I did consider the angles around entitlement from both perspectives and what the OPs situation entails.

I just happen to think its rude to come to a community asking for help and advice and then feck off for 21 months without an acknowledgement, thanks or any second thought to all of the people who offered up their thoughts, advice and consideration in good faith.

I completely understand that people will see that differently...that's fine with me.

She came back when she had an update, what are you on about? Did you expect her to drop in every few days for a year to report no change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

As someone said, plow it. I’d plant wild flower cover on it and feed your bees.

And I’d also be contacting a solicitor to keep them out.

If you rented it for a tenner and they started storing silage there what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

Take no money for it.

There is no way you can have enough exclusions in the lease. Wouldn’t be worth the heart ache of the few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Are you mad? That is a terrible idea. That will be seen as you rolling over and basically giving him the land for a mere tenner a year. Nuts.

Rest assured, once he is in on the land with some legitimate basis in the form of a lease, your are goosed. You will never get him out.

Do not, under any circumstances, let the land or enter into any form of agreement with him or anyone connected to him.

Play hard ball. Pester your gardai, every time he is seen on the land call the gardai and insist he is trespassing and request them to remove him and prosecute. Put up a remote camera if needs be to alert you to his presence on the land.

Do not give in to any soft soaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

You haven't offered any of the above.

Why are you outraged on behalf of complete strangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Don't feed the troll!

KOR101 wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll!

Thats rich given that I was just voicing an opinion respectfully and without name-calling anyone..... But there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thats rich given that I was just voicing an opinion respectfully and without name-calling anyone..... But there you go.

You called the OP selfish, thoughtless and rude, purely for not coming back to a thread within a time frame you deem acceptable.

• Advertisement

Update:
    Nothing to report.

Am I doing this right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement