Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

What are you keeping on the SSD? If it's just to extend apps and plex cache etc. on the shield anything over 240gb is probably overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

BandMember wrote: »
    I've noticed lately that the sound on my Shield has suddenly got very low, possibly due to a Firmware update? Anyone else having a similar experience?
    Make sure you didn't accidentally turn down the on-board sound on the shield through the controller stick or something. It's happened to me more times than I'd care to admit :o

What are you keeping on the SSD? If it's just to extend apps and plex cache etc. on the shield anything over 240gb is probably overkill.

Yeah looking at the 500 or 250 as keep apps and some games on it and in the future more games so dont want to do the overkill.

What about an enclosure for this would the below do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Enclosure-External-Tool-free-FE2001/dp/B00DW374W4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'm sure there may be an answer further back on the thread but can anyone recommend a remote for the older model shield?

I seem to remember the Amazon fire remote being recommended and I might invest in one if it works well. As they are discounted at the moment with prime day

• Advertisement

Okay got a Samsung t5 ssd in the prime sales and expect it to be here before the weekend. I have to do a factory reset and update any apps on the shield.
    Now here are the questions . After updating will I attach the hub directly into shield or via a USB hub? Also do I have to format it and set it as internal drive? If I do this is it possible to use ssd on pc. So I can use it for other things other than the shield?

Answers on a postcard please 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Okay got a Samsung t5 ssd in the prime sales and expect it to be here before the weekend. I have to do a factory reset and update any apps on the shield.
    Now here are the questions . After updating will I attach the hub directly into shield or via a USB hub? Also do I have to format it and set it as internal drive? If I do this is it possible to use ssd on pc. So I can use it for other things other than the shield?

Answers on a postcard please 😊

No real need to format it, adopting it as internal the Shield will format it and it will not be usable on other devices. You can however share the drive from the Shield on your network.

I'm pretty sure the overheating usb issue is just with usb3 thumb drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone know if the rumours of a 2019 shield were true or not?
    Been waiting for an official announcement, but nothing yet!
    Did it turn out to be the switch lite? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

xckjoo wrote: »
    Make sure you didn't accidentally turn down the on-board sound on the shield through the controller stick or something. It's happened to me more times than I'd care to admit :o

Both controllers are still in the box as I use the tv remote to operate the Shield. It's an odd one. The sound was grand, same as on the television, but now it's really low while the television has remained at the same level (Android TV so change between the Shield and the television). I'm stumped! :confused:

No real need to format it, adopting it as internal the Shield will format it and it will not be usable on other devices. You can however share the drive from the Shield on your network.

I'm pretty sure the overheating usb issue is just with usb3 thumb drives.

Cheers

Can you set it up as external and load it up with apps and games to use on the shield and then eject it each time?

Take it that the USB thumb drive that I have is no longer useful or can I use this for back ups for PC, pictures etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Cheers

Can you set it up as external and load it up with apps and games to use on the shield and then eject it each time?

Take it that the USB thumb drive that I have is no longer useful or can I use this for back ups for PC, pictures etc

You can set it up as a normal external hard drive but it wont then work for apps etc. as they will only work on a drive formatted as internal.

Also to format anything as an internal drive it needs to connect to Port 1 on the shield

I have 3 drives connected up-A USB 3.1 128GB Thumb drive formatted as internal and having been caught with the overheating issue its connected using a 3.0 USB extension cable and have had no heating issued in the year its been set up this way.I then have 2 further hard drives (2TB & 3TB) connected via a powered USB Hub to Port 2 on the shield.

All 3 drives are mapped to my PC so i can drag and drop files as i need-Just remember also that when you even connect up hard drives as external drives the Shield will create an Nvidia Shield folder on the hard drive and this is the only folder that will be usable(Write capability) on that hard drive.I then have this Nvidia Shield folder sub divided into TV Shows,Movies,Music etc.and sub divided again for each TV show etc.

You can set it up as a normal external hard drive but it wont then work for apps etc. as they will only work on a drive formatted as internal.

Also to format anything as an internal drive it needs to connect to Port 1 on the shield

I have 3 drives connected up-A USB 3.1 128GB Thumb drive formatted as internal and having been caught with the overheating issue its connected using a 3.0 USB extension cable and have had no heating issued in the year its been set up this way.I then have 2 further hard drives (2TB & 3TB) connected via a powered USB Hub to Port 2 on the shield.

All 3 drives are mapped to my PC so i can drag and drop files as i need-Just remember also that when you even connect up hard drives as external drives the Shield will create an Nvidia Shield folder on the hard drive and this is the only folder that will be usable(Write capability) on that hard drive.I then have this Nvidia Shield folder sub divided into TV Shows,Movies,Music etc.and sub divided again for each TV show etc.

Cheers might just leave it as internal and anything I want I can sideload. Might look at mapping it to Laptop but thats for another day

Right it's wrecking my head 😠😠

I got a Samsung t5 for nvidia shield. Did a factory reset and upgraded everything. Then I connected t5 directly to the shield and formatted it. Under device storage it has internal shared storage and under this is Samsung USB drive.
    I downloaded stbemu from play store and it is on the Samsung USB drive but everytime I open the app it crashes. No option to use unknown sources for this app under security and restrictions and I have given it permission.
    I removed and reinstalled and same issue. Previously I downloaded few apps and some one not open either?

This is the exact same thing that is happening when I had usb key so bought Samsung t5 to fix this??

Also I can't add another Google account to shield?

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

More than likely 🙄🙄

Have a problem with the t5 samsung ssd.Connected to usb & drive showing now as corrupt. Its under removable storage and I can't format it. Saying that it is safely ejected. I know I did something wrong. Any ideas how to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Any ideas how to fix it

Have you tried to format it on your PC?

I think my 4TB external HDD is NTFS, but I've seen mention of exFAT recommended

EDIT: it is not adoptable though (Micro SD card is adoptable on mine), so the above might not be relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Have a problem with the t5 samsung ssd.Connected to usb & drive showing now as corrupt. Its under removable storage and I can't format it. Saying that it is safely ejected. I know I did something wrong. Any ideas how to fix it

Your best bet and as already mentioned by moonboy, would be to format(ex-fat) the drive via PC. Then add it again as internal storage.
    Setup Steps:
    1. Insert the external storage. If you don't see a pop up, go to Settings > Storage & reset and select the external drive from the list.

2. Select 'Set up as internal storage' to format the storage device. Warning: This will erase any current data on the external drive.

3. Select 'Move now' to complete the set up. This step is mandatory in order to set the new storage as internal storage. It will move data files from internal storage to your new storage device.

Managed to format it via disk management on laptop.

Reset shield loaded up few apps and working ok. Then connected ssb to usb port directly and picked it up and got it set up as internal and transferred apps over. Powered off overnight so hopefully still working.

Have to add ps3 joystick as an accessory so hopefully I can plug this into the other USB and get it set up that way

Cheers for the replies ðŸ‘

I have 2x Shield gaming controllers that I charge along with multiple other devices phones etc on a sitting room dresser. I have multiple usb cables for charging at that location so I'm looking for a stand to tidy the controllers up. I've looked and not found any for the Shield but plenty for PS4 and Xbox. Has anyone out there got one they are using with a Shield controller, I don't want to buy and then realise the Shield controller doesn't sit right in it.

I've just started using my shield for plex purposes and I'm getting a lot of files that won't play due to codec issues.

If I run the plex client on a different android box or the aging samsung smart-tv they all seem to play fine. Its only the shield that has the issue.

Has anyone run into something similar? I'm running the plex server from the shield and pointing to a network location. Any answers I cam across just suggested transcoding the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Are you running the latest version of Plex Server?

I've been using mine for a while as a server and haven't run into any files it couldn't play. Files are playing from my NAS.

• Advertisement

Are you running the latest version of Plex Server?

I've been using mine for a while as a server and haven't run into any files it couldn't play. Files are playing from my NAS.

I just checked the web client and it tells me the version is : Version 1.14.1.5488

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That's not current, mine is running 1.16.3.1402. See if the Play Store has any updates.

Installing Shield experience upgrade 8.0 just available there now

Installing Shield experience upgrade 8.0 just available there now

Same here 940.80mb

Shield remote app also updated

Notice any improvement?

Same here 940.80mb

Shield remote app also updated

Notice any improvement?

Not installed, still downloading, their servers must be being hammered

Installed there now. Not noticing any huge layout changes other than the menu is slightly more compact. There is a bit of a change to audio settings, you can manually set which formats your audio device reports as supporting, I've not taken mine off auto but it's handy to know I can tweak it if I have any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mines is hanging on the upgrade, hope it's not fecked. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

Installed there now. Not noticing any huge layout changes other than the menu is slightly more compact. There is a bit of a change to audio settings, you can manually set which formats your audio device reports as supporting, I've not taken mine off auto but it's handy to know I can tweak it if I have any issues

Will this affect any configuration of apps etc? I've a fairly intricate RetroArch install, various emulators configured, a Kodi library etc...not sure whether to hit the button on an upgrade if it means spending a weekend reconfiguring everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mines is hanging on the upgrade, hope it's not fecked. :mad:

Scratch that, it's sorted.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Will this affect any configuration of apps etc? I've a fairly intricate RetroArch install, various emulators configured, a Kodi library etc...not sure whether to hit the button on an upgrade if it means spending a weekend reconfiguring everything...

It shouldn't although as per any system update one in a thousand will have issues that will require a factory reset to fix

Advertisement