Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

54&56 wrote:
    Apologies if this is a silly question but I just don't see where that option is within the Plex Server settings menu on the Shield.

AFAIK, you can't do it directly on the shield. You need to access it via a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    AFAIK, you can't do it directly on the shield. You need to access it via a PC

Thanks, you're spot on. That was doing my head in.

Found the NAS by logging into Plex on my browser and navigating to Settings -> Manage -> Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I got one of these and my heart was broke with it constantly disconnecting itself from the shield, requiring a repair everytime.

Good little remote to be fair , and maybe I just got unlucky with mine.

Mine is the same, have to repair it otherwise it doesn't pick it up as connected. Good remote all the same but bit disappointed.

Edit - just saw the comment about the privacy setting, will test it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

I got one of these and my heart was broke with it constantly disconnecting itself from the shield, requiring a repair everytime.

Good little remote to be fair , and maybe I just got unlucky with mine.
    n1ck wrote: »
    Mine is the same, have to repair it otherwise it doesn't pick it up as connected. Good remote all the same but bit disappointed.

Edit - just saw the comment about the privacy setting, will test it tomorrow.

Yeah - you switch off Bluetooth LE Privacy and reboot the shield and it shouldn’t disconnect after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mr.S wrote: »
    Problem is back for me. Plex seems to have been sorted but issue is still there on Emby :(

Mine is flawless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

stimpson wrote:
    Get the Bluetooth one. There is a video about setting it up with the Shield here

stimpson wrote:
    The trick is to switch off Bluetooth LE Privacy and reboot the shield.

I got the remote and set it up all fine and worked well.
    But I need to delete it and pair it again the following day every time sometimes twice a day depending on usage.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

Hi,

Looking for some help - getting a bit frustrated!

Been happily using the the 2017 Shield tv (16 gb) for about 18 months - love it, no issues at all. Until this week.

I have one of the recommended Sandisk USB thumb drives (can't remember the exact model) and have that drive set up as adaptive storage.

I'm now getting a fairly frequent pop-up telling me that shield storage is too low. When I go to Storage and Reset in settings, I see that most of the available 12 gb of internal storage is used, but that the thumb drive has 121 gb free.

I'm running Plex media server on the Shield which I know used to be an issue in the past - Plex didn't use expanded storage, but I understand that has been resolved now.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can overcome this? Is there a way to move things manually from the internal storage to the thumb drive?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Have you tried this: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4663/~/use-external-storage-for-plex-media-server-app-data

I've personally not tried this but it seems like that even after adding adoptive storage that a Plex migration still needs to be carried out? And you're sure the external USB has been adopted, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Taxedalot wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some help - getting a bit frustrated!

Been happily using the the 2017 Shield tv (16 gb) for about 18 months - love it, no issues at all. Until this week.

I have one of the recommended Sandisk USB thumb drives (can't remember the exact model) and have that drive set up as adaptive storage.

I'm now getting a fairly frequent pop-up telling me that shield storage is too low. When I go to Storage and Reset in settings, I see that most of the available 12 GB of internal storage is used, but that the thumb drive has 121 GB free.

I'm running Plex media server on the Shield which I know used to be an issue in the past - Plex didn't use expanded storage, but I understand that has been resolved now.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can overcome this? Is there a way to move things manually from the internal storage to the thumb drive?

Thanks,

You need to adopt it as Internal storage within the shield settings(although you say you have it done,maybe format the drive and try again) and make sure you use a good quality drive with USB 3.
    Also to adopt as internal storage it needs to connect to port 1 on the Shield.
    There are links below covering all aspects of it including the recommenced drives to be used

General Overview and questions;

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100425/shield-tv/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-shield-galaxy-everything-you-need-to-know-/

Hard drives etc.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-external-drives-nvidia-shield-tv

General Q&A Forum

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

If using a small thumb drive i would advise on an extension cable to prevent direct contact with the shield as they are known to overheat(happened me) I current use a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive with 128GB of storage adopted as internal storage.

For Plex you need to go into the Plex settings and migrate the data to the adopted Drive also.See below

https://support.plex.tv/articles/220391808-media-storage-options-for-nvidia-shield/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1054328/shield-tv/plex-media-server-app-data-can-now-use-external-usb-storage/1/

Happy reading.

You need to adopt it as Internal storage within the shield settings(although you say you have it done,maybe format the drive and try again) and make sure you use a good quality drive with USB 3.
    Also to adopt as internal storage it needs to connect to port 1 on the Shield.
    There are links below covering all aspects of it including the recommenced drives to be used

General Overview and questions;

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100425/shield-tv/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-shield-galaxy-everything-you-need-to-know-/

Hard drives etc.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-external-drives-nvidia-shield-tv

General Q&A Forum

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

If using a small thumb drive i would advise on an extension cable to prevent direct contact with the shield as they are known to overheat(happened me) I current use a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive with 128GB of storage adopted as internal storage.

For Plex you need to go into the Plex settings and migrate the data to the adopted Drive also.See below

https://support.plex.tv/articles/220391808-media-storage-options-for-nvidia-shield/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1054328/shield-tv/plex-media-server-app-data-can-now-use-external-usb-storage/1/

Happy reading.

Thanks,

Have it as adopted storage already and it does show under the "device storage" section.

Maybe I'll try the extension cable in case it's overheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I've a problem that just popped up today. Whenever using Kodi the screen keeps scrolling, or the video keeps fast forwarding, as if the right joystick is being pushed or stuck. For the moment it just appears to be with kodi, not Amazon Video/Netflix/Youtube/Games. I'm waiting (for twenty minutes) with the online chat, but any ideas what might be happening? I have the system about seven months with no issues.

I've a problem that just popped up today. Whenever using Kodi the screen keeps scrolling, or the video keeps fast forwarding, as if the right joystick is being pushed or stuck. For the moment it just appears to be with kodi, not Amazon Video/Netflix/Youtube/Games. I'm waiting (for twenty minutes) with the online chat, but any ideas what might be happening? I have the system about seven months with no issues.

I've had the exact same issue at times, putting the controller on charge stopped it for me. I have a harmony remote which is mostly what used for Kodi but the 2 game controllers are always lying around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I've had the exact same issue at times, putting the controller on charge stopped it for me. I have a harmony remote which is mostly what used for Kodi but the 2 game controllers are always lying around

I just got off with customer support. You need to remove the device as a paired device, go to settings/apps/bluetooth and clear all data (Have a keyboard or other remote to hand, I forgot about this and it caused some momentary problems!). Reset the shield, then reconnect the controller. I think an update shafted me, but so far this seems to have fixed the issue.

Have you tried this: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4663/~/use-external-storage-for-plex-media-server-app-data

I've personally not tried this but it seems like that even after adding adoptive storage that a Plex migration still needs to be carried out? And you're sure the external USB has been adopted, yeah?

Thanks - this was the issue!!

Taxedalot wrote: »
    Thanks,

Have it as adopted storage already and it does show under the "device storage" section.

Maybe I'll try the extension cable in case it's overheating.

Thanks - Plex was the issue, fixed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've posted about this before and while I do have workarounds, it is really bugging me as to the cause.

Running 3 Shields, 1 of which will not load the UK player apps no matter what I try.
    Other 2 Shields running on the same Google account, and with the same settings load the BBC/ITV app in the menu on startUp.

The 3rd, loads no "localised" apps at all.
    I can get it to load US apps, if I change region but selecting UK just brings Amazon Prime.

If I use FX explorer, I can navigate to the BBC/ITV app and reenable them via their app manager tool and they are then usable via the home screen but lost on reboot.

I'm thinking I may be able edit the package name and somehow get around the Shield localisation tool disabling the apps.

Any one encountered similar? Or have alternate work around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Anyway to watch enigma 2 recordings on my shield?

keano25 wrote: »
    Anyway to watch enigma 2 recordings on my shield?

Yes
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.tv.player

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You can also enable the Vu+ tuner plugin in Kodi if you use that.
    Or if you use emby or Plex there are other steps to add your E2 tuners and make Live TV and recordings available.

If you don't use any of those, as THHB has said, dreamplayer from the store will cover all those bases too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Junior watching old cartoons on YouTube app on Shield. However I can't stretch it to fill up the screen and they are very boxy . Also tried you tube vanced and same issue. Tried to open link using vlc and typed in url but couldn't get it to open. Is there anyway to stretch stream to fill screen on either you tube app or any other way?

Junior not bothered but just wondering if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads, signed up for the LOI trial streaming service starting tomorrow evening. Was sure it would work via the loala1 android app and now they have informed me it wont be the case. I will have to watch it via a browser........
    Any advice on which browser is best for streaming on the box???

Lads, signed up for the LOI trial streaming service starting tomorrow evening. Was sure it would work via the loala1 android app and now they have informed me it wont be the case. I will have to watch it via a browser........
    Any advice on which browser is best for streaming on the box???

Try Puffin, it's built from the ground up for android Tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Just discovered that the Shield doesn't seem to support logging into YouTube with a different account. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I'm leaning towards creating a whole dummy account for the Shield. Other option is a different version of YouTube (Smart or Vanced). Anybody have thoughts on pros and cons or alternative solutions?

Edit: Might have found an answer to my own question. Will test it out later:
    Just go to accounts in the shield settings and add the Google account you want to log into. Then sign out of your YouTube and sign back in and it will give you the option to choose the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone got a simple walkthrough for setting up getflix on the shield? This is my first foray into this area and no idea what im at on the shield.

Ive tried their android set up from the site but when I add the dns servers in the ethernet settings it then says ethernet isnt connected and I've no internet.

Also, I think I asked this a few months back but my controller battery will drain in a few hours even without use, I assume its fupped rather than a setting issue?

EDIT. Meant to say, I'm on virgin media with the hub 3.0 . I believe I cant do anything on the router itself with regard the DNS? So has to be done on Shield itself ?

Had to do a factory reset last night pain in the A

Need to reset it up later and need to google settings

Any tips especially as I am using Harmony Elite and also Denon receiver so want audio to go through the amp

Have set up developer mode so can get unknown sources and have loaded TV launcher, Puffin and Aptoide

Just looking for settings for Audio etc.

Probably somewhere in this thread:o

Found link below but any other tips

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1100425/shield-tv/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-shield-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-/

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

^ Not able to advise, unfortunately, but your predicament got me thinking - is there a backup / restore function accessible on the Shield?

Have to do a factory reset again as apps keep cashing and not sure if it's USB slim line hub I have attached. All the apps saved on that and when I disconnected it I downloaded stbemu from play store. However would not open. Then I downloaded puffin and tried to download aptoide and file linked. When I went to settings files it said can't load content at the moment. Re connected usb hub and can see apps there but again stbemu crashes and I can see files from settings - files.

So I'm going to do another factory reset but make sure to disconnect USB first then try to download stbemu from play store see if same issues.

Then connect USB. However i have to format it first, think shield prompts this.

Anything else I should do?

Update from Shield Customer support

Could be clash of app that is 32 bit v 64 bit I never knew this existed on Android thought it was only windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

I've noticed lately that the sound on my Shield has suddenly got very low, possibly due to a Firmware update? Anyone else having a similar experience?

Looks like my USB plugged into shield via hub is Fubar as a lot of my apps cashing.

Looking at getting ssd drive on prime day any recommendations for any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I got this one. If you’re traveling the airport price is close
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C5BG857/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement