Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrities who put on a fake their accent 24/7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

368100 wrote: »
    John barrowman.....Scottish or U.S. ....grew up in Scotland so accent is fake. Comes out with some BS that he auto reverts to Scottish accent when talking to his family...he just uses whichever will be of more benefit to him at any time
    What exactly is the problem with that? Sounds sensible if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How about Madge and her English accent

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

I remember seeing Patrick Collison co founder of Stripe, born and bred in Limerick on the news, with the twangiest American accent

https://youtu.be/3QtOxvpdUMs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Probably the greatest fake accent from possibly the biggest twat alive...what's not to love!?

Joey Barton speaks English with a French accent – video https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2012/nov/26/joey-barton-english-french-accent-video?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

She is a bogger
    But she hams it up. Diddly ei dee Im so sweet diddums type crap

Over rated actress too Brooklyn was over acted balls.

"Ireland is the old sow that eats her farrow." - James Joyce.

What's all this fuss in Ireland about how people speak? I believe it is the product of a traditionally monolingual inward looking society. FFS how can you hear what they are saying if you are so hung up on how they say it. If you don't understand what they are saying just tell them so.
    Most people's accents change when their environment changes. For some it takes three weeks, for others thirty years. An old friend of mine spent years in Latin America, then came home, and asking my kids their ages said "how many years have you?" But it was ok. We understood what he wanted to say. I suspect that most people bitching about how people talk speak no more than half a language at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

She is a bogger
    But she hams it up. Diddly ei dee Im so sweet diddums type crap

Over rated actress too Brooklyn was over acted balls.

In fairness to Saoirse Ronan she seems to be overrated by an awful lot of people and there's a fierce whiff of begrudgery off your post. Lighten up - it's Christmas.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I know a few Polish that have strong Cork accents, stronger than most people from Cork that have adopted that annoying false accent ;)

Jaypers wait till they go back to Poland! Every vodka swilling Karol will be totally turned off by what they will perceive to be a "put on" Cork accent! :rolleyes:

Clare Daly has the most nauseating horrible vomit inducing voice/accent ever but I guess with a face like hers it would be hard to have a nice voice/accent.

I am far from being an unqualified admirer of Claire Daly, but I base that on what she says and does, not how she looks. You, on the other hand, make it seem as if you get your political education from glossy celebrity magazines or trashy tabloids or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

feargale wrote: »
    I am far from being an unqualified admirer of Claire Daly, but I base that on what she says and does, not how she looks. You, on the other hand, make it seem as if you get your political education from glossy celebrity magazines or trashy tabloids or worse.

I know this slightly off-topic, but Clare Daly, whatever her other many fine qualities may be,and however dulcet her tones, is NOT a celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Joe prim wrote: »
    feargale wrote: »

I know this slightly off-topic, but Clare Daly, whatever her other many fine qualities may be,and however dulcet her tones, is NOT a celebrity.

She'd dearly love to be I'm sure. Woman of the People and all that crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Loddie Royne

• Registered Users Posts: 20,624 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Joe prim wrote: »

She is a Superstar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In fairness to Saoirse Ronan she seems to be overrated by an awful lot of people and there's a fierce whiff of begrudgery off your post. Lighten up - it's Christmas.

She does put in on with a trowel, as the poster pointed out it's to give off an air of cute hibernian whimsicality, but only succeeds in being a bit grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Craig Ferguson. Horrible accent and unfunny cúnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Encouraged

Jacob Rees-Mogg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I lived in Spain for years ,
    I came home and my accent sounded like whoever I was talking to was a dummy, Because I had to speak very slowly to explain myself in Spain , it soon wore off,

Then I moved to the state's Midwest, When i came home i sounded some what American as loads of words i used where the American version's like, Highway, garbage, sidewalk , trainers (runners) ,Pullover (jumper), one i got most abuse over was Pacifier ( soother)
    Simply because i couldn't use the Irish word as it wasn't worth the hassle always explaining myself and i only ever used the words in America so i said them the American way ,

This also wore off after a few months of being home ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Encouraged wrote: »
    Jacob Rees-Mogg

I think that you will find that is his normal accent - he is an old Etonian after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not fake. He went to university in the US.

Some people attended university in Limerick.

Accept it - it's fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

tupenny wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan also

She's one of the most false people I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Graham McDowell and Rory McIlroy.

• Advertisement

On the Graham Norton show recently they played a clip of saoirse talking on the radio when she was a little child (she'd won a competition) and her accent was exactly the same as it is now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Gabriel Byrne has, for many years now, been speaking in fake broad Dublinese belying his middle class background. You would swear he was born and reared in Upper Sherriff Street. A fine actor, no doubt, but a bit of a charlatan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

George Hook. So unnatural.

I heard him admitting on his show that he was told to lose the strong Cork accent and got elocution classes in order to lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I presume anybody in show biz has to have a more neutral accent. People who move to Dublin from other counties end up having a more neutral accent. I have an uncle in London, who had to work on his pronunciation in order to be understood, now his accent is neutral enough for an English person to understand. As people have mentioned, if you move country and even county in some cases your accent has to change, in order for people to understand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Gordon Ramsey,

comes from rough Glasgow and speaks posh southern english??? whats that about?

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

If you're on a night out and hear some Irish wan talking with some put-on American / mid-Atlantic accent, it's always a good chat up line to ask "So, what part of America are you from?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is that dick bag Des Bishop still around? I know he's a yank but he certainly played it up. After being in Ireland for many years he was still getting his 'comedy' out of the differences. He was always sh*te, or sh*t depending...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

fryup wrote: »
    Gordon Ramsey,

Some scots decended from those who sold out their own people speak with an English accent. I met a lad from Edinburgh spoke like Prince Charles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

One of my faves is Sam Neill, born in Tyrone, lived there until he was 7...but cannot do an Irish accent to save his life!.
    It's all about the environment you grow up in, not the geographical location itself.

I thought his Ulster accent in Peaky Blinders was dead on ;)
    fryup wrote: »
    Gordon Ramsey,

He left Scotland at age 5 and moved around England constantly as his drunk of a father beat the entire family and they got evicted from council to council

Spent far more of his life in England than he ever did in Scotland

Advertisement