Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrities who put on a fake their accent 24/7

Options
  • 27-12-2017 2:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

Russel Brand & David Norris are the two who come to mind. Maybe they've faked their accents for so long, that they actually sound that way now.

I'm not quite sure what Russell Brand does, but I think it's that he exaggerates the accent, and raises the pitch of his voice. He does it in such a way, as if to give the impression that he's making a unique point about something... he always thinks he has an angle!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

John barrowman.....Scottish or U.S. ....grew up in Scotland so accent is fake. Comes out with some BS that he auto reverts to Scottish accent when talking to his family...he just uses whichever will be of more benefit to him at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don’t think D Norris’s accent is fake but Clare Daly went to a boarding school but gets clean away with her mock “howaya” tripe.
    Graham Norton’s accent is totally unrealistic too.
    Bono’s midatlantic twang is like everything else about U2, totally fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Kenneth Branagh, born and bred in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Ffs. Winner here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Saoirse Ronan also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lewis Hamilton
    Andrew "Beef" Johnston

Both true blue American's.....from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

tupenny wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan also

Sairse Ronan talks like a bogger. I can't fathom why people think she would fake that kind of an accent.

I know people who went on a J1 to the states and came back sounding like the kardashians.

I'm taking the Noel Gallagher stance on Bono

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

pierce brosnan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

graeme mc dowell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

dok_golf wrote: »
    graeme mc dowell

Not fake. He went to university in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,248 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just about every actor ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

368100 wrote: »
    John barrowman.....Scottish or U.S. ....grew up in Scotland so accent is fake. Comes out with some BS that he auto reverts to Scottish accent when talking to his family...he just uses whichever will be of more benefit to him at any time

He lived in Scotland until he was eight and then his family moved The States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Danny Dyer

Arghus wrote: »
    He lived in Scotland until he was eight and then his family moved The States.

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd say some celebrities are encouraged to exaggerate their accents so they can be more appealing when on screen. On the other hand, maybe it's an acting thing. If you've trained as an actor and did voice lessons or theatre work then the actors are probably just used to talking in a certain style and they just adopted it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

splinter65 wrote:
    I don’t think D Norris’s accent is fake but Clare Daly went to a boarding school but gets clean away with her mock “howaya†tripe. Graham Norton’s accent is totally unrealistic too. Bono’s midatlantic twang is like everything else about U2, totally fake.

Bang on about David Norris and Clare Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So?

You can hardly say he grew up in Scotland, when most of his formative years were spent somewhere else. I know people who lived in England until they were twelve or thirteen, but who speak now as adults with an Irish accent.

Arghus wrote: »
    You can hardly say he grew up in Scotland, when most of his formative years were spent somewhere else. I know people who lived in England until they were twelve or thirteen, but who speak now as adults with an Irish accent.

And as an opposite I know people who lived in England until 8 or 9 who moved here and still have an English accent.

Topic is fake accents....have you ever heard him switch from one to the other as easily as clicking his fIngers?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/audio/2008/jul/14/john.barrowman.alice.wignall

He basically admits the US accent is fake in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Born yes...bred no...moved to England at the age of 8 or 9

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Nadine Coyle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I grew up in westmeath. I sound nothing like a local. It's not put on, it's just my accent. It's quite possible that people like Graham Norton are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Sairse Ronan talks like a bogger. I can't fathom why people think she would fake that kind of an accent.

I know people who went on a J1 to the states and came back sounding like the kardashians.

I'm taking the Noel Gallagher stance on Bono

Her accent is north side dub.

So?

So then his accent changed.

David Norris speaks like an upper class Irish Protestant. Norton’s accent is Irish Protestant too. Saoirse Ronan is a dub accent. Branagh went to school in England from age 9 and received RP training. RP is the name of the elite English accent.

And as an opposite I know people who lived in England until 8 or 9 who moved here and still have an English accent.

Topic is fake accents....have you ever heard him switch from one to the other as easily as clicking his fIngers?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/audio/2008/jul/14/john.barrowman.alice.wignall

The English accent is harder to shake. In general if you move as a child you will change your accent.

Barrow man isn’t faking either accent. His natural accent is the American accent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Nah, I moved to Ireland from England in 1993 and I have no trace of an English accent.

Accents are really weird how they work. One of my parents lived in England until she was about 8 and the rest in Scotland until her 20's and then moved to Ireland. She sounds really really English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Saoirse Ronan’s accent switches between bogger and northsider according to phase of the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

When you move to another country and they don’t understand you, do you expect them to change?

Not saying it excuses everyone but I think it’s very understandable that someone moving from Scotland or Ireland to America will have to adapt in order to be understood.

Saoirse Ronan’s accent switches between bogger and northsider according to phase of the moon.

Why would somebody fake that. Wonder if she grew up in co Carlow and Howth or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

So then his accent changed.

David Norris speaks like an upper class Irish Protestant. Norton’s accent is Irish Protestant too. Saoirse Ronan is a dub accent. Branagh went to school in England from age 9 and received RP training. RP is the name of the elite English accent.

Is the Irish Protestant accent uniform throughout Ireland? Does an Irish Protestant in Cork have the same one as those in Mayo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

When you move to another country and they don’t understand you, do you expect them to change?

Not saying it excuses everyone but I think it’s very understandable that someone moving from Scotland or Ireland to America will have to adapt in order to be understood.

A million times this.
    Try asking for a mountain dew in a shop in the states and see how long it takes you to change your accent.

Advertisement