Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrities who put on a fake their accent 24/7

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

One of my faves is Sam Neill, born in Tyrone, lived there until he was 7...but cannot do an Irish accent to save his life!.
    It's all about the environment you grow up in, not the geographical location itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Joe Duffy. Hasn't lived anywhere near Ballyfermot for over 30 years. The accent could just be part of his ordinary Joe image. Just saying that daily exposure to RTE luvvies and long term residence in Clontarf could have had some effect in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

Maura derrane has lost her lovely innismore brogue. Daithi o Shea is still representing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Some girl I knew in school claimed she was born and raised in Kerry, then moved to Dublin when she was 14, so spent her whole life in Ireland, yet spoke with a broad American accent like one of the Kardashians and always said she didn't know where it came from, used to drive me insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

When you move to another country and they don’t understand you, do you expect them to change?

Not saying it excuses everyone but I think it’s very understandable that someone moving from Scotland or Ireland to America will have to adapt in order to be understood.

It depends though on how strong your original accent is. Scots and Irish tend to be hard to shake but what happens is you'd have to slow down and pronounce words better and naturally gravitate towards the local accent by accident or habit.

Germans and Dutch ten to always pick up the local accent I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

razorblunt wrote: »
    It depends though on how strong your original accent is. Scots and Irish tend to be hard to shake but what happens is you'd have to slow down and pronounce words better and naturally gravitate towards the local accent by accident or habit.

Plenty fake accents in Ireland that most only picked up in secondary school.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Shane McGowans missus Victoria Mary Clarke. She was born in West Cork and speaks with with what sounds like a middle class English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Shane McGowans missus Victoria Mary Clarke. She was born in West Cork and speaks with with what sounds like a middle class English accent.
    Lots of that carry on in West Cork, tis a strange place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Ugh, my sister moved to NZ a few years ago and now has the worst accent known to humankind. It's barely even an Irish accent anymore, she draws out her words and does the raised pitch thing at the end of every sentence as if she's constantly asking a question, as is typical of Australia and NZ. Sounds disgusting.

True, my Dutch housemate has lived here for a few years and every second word out of her mouth has an Irish twang to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Some girl I knew in school claimed she was born and raised in Kerry, then moved to Dublin when she was 14, so spent her whole life in Ireland, yet spoke with a broad American accent like one of the Kardashians and always said she didn't know where it came from, used to drive me insane.

This may seem daft but maybe she is on the Autism spectrum. Speaking in an accent like that for no apparent reason is one of the known effects of Autism. I know someone who speaks in a strong American accent, never been to America, never met an American and is from a place where the local accent is pretty obvious to anyone outside of the area. When she was diagnosed it was mentioned as being one part of the Autism. She cannot for love nor money put on an Irish accent its American all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The Healy-Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Can't believe nobody has mentioned yer wan Miriam O ' Callaghan yet, possibly the most put on accent on television. Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

longshanks wrote: »
    Lots of that carry on in West Cork, tis a strange place.

I've a bunch of cousins in West Cork and can vouch. Very odd !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Who decides if their accents are fake or not? How do we know they aren't just talking the way that comes naturally to them?

A lot of the names I've seen mentioned so far seem to be people who were born in one place but have spent a considerable amount of time in another place with a vastly different accent and have caught it. So what? Is there any clear evidence that these people are faking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Danny Dyer

Diamond geezer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I wouldn't say any of the people are actually faking a bloody accent it's just how they ended up speaking. Graham Norton for example just has a posh countryside D4 living in London for years I don't want to sound too Irish accent. I had a number of jobs abroad where I dealt with customers on the phone an awful lot and it's easier sometimes to just speak clearer and try not to pronounce words in my native North Dub accent too heavily as sometimes they don't know what you're saying. If I had kept working abroad for years and years I'd prob have a different accent as to how it is now.
    Also Irish people who went into acting are always going to have fecked up accents from pretending to be other people etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Kenneth Branagh apparently acquired Received Pronunciation to avoid bullying at school, when he moved to England in his youth. I'd imagine his training at RADA & involvement with RSC also had quite an influence on how he sounds today. It's unlikely you could have played Hamlet in an RSC production sounding like Frank Carson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Donna Air - Wy aya man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Can't believe nobody has mentioned yer wan Miriam O ' Callaghan yet, possibly the most put on accent on television. Hilarious.

It's not put on.

She attended Alexandra College (as did Rachel Allen) & it's alumni carry with them this bizarre bastardisation of the southside accent, that allows you to pinpoint the secondary school they attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ligerdub wrote: »

Donna Air - Wy aya man!

I had no idea who she was so I googled her. On her wikipedia page it says
    Air once famously asked Irish band The Corrs, which consists of four siblings, where they had met.

George Hook. So unnatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

John Bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I always wondered if you served Larry Gogan or the late Tony Fenton at a late night service station, would they suddenly drop the accent and sound more like... 'howya bud, gives us 20 blue and a package eh crisps'.

I'm of the firm belief that Imelda May adds a little VAT to her Dublin accent. She's spent the last 20 years living in London, yet sounds like she worked her whole life on Moore Street.

Saoirse Ronan's accent is messed up but I think that's partly due to having lived in several countries in her relatively short life so far. Her father has a strong Dublin accent too which gives her that northside twang.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stephen hawking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Danny Dyer
    elperello wrote: »
    Diamond geezer.

You spelt wan*er wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A lot of people who end up with an American twang get accused of putting it on in other to appeal to an audience or deny where they are really from. Conor McGregor for example.

The fact is that if you go to the US and talk in your own accent you simply won't be understood. McGregor slows his accent down and over pronounces certain things because he would need subtitles otherwise.

I've been to the US and Canada a few times and my best friend lives in Canada. He obviously has developed a strong Canadian accent over the years and yet when he comes home he slips back into his own accent within a few days.

Even if he's on the phone to my his wife or friends will comment that they can't understand what he's saying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Conor McGregor I cant stand it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

brilou23 wrote: »
    Conor McGregor I cant stand it

See the post before yours.

He's not putting on an accent. He's slowing his own down to be understood.

The international language of louder and slower.

And I think he's a dick by the way, before anyone accuses me of being a fan boy.

Advertisement