Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrities who put on a fake their accent 24/7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

tupenny wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan also

She actually doesn’t. There was an audio clip of her on Graham Norton a few weeks back from when she won a competition on Gerry Ryan’s radio show when she was like 8 and she sounded exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Pat Kenny though nice to listen to completely learnt his accent. He was an inner city kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

She actually doesn’t. There was an audio clip of her on Graham Norton a few weeks back from when she won a competition on Gerry Ryan’s radio show when she was like 8 and she sounded exactly the same.

She's from Carlow but doesn't really have a heavy, flat "Carla" accent. Incidentally, she was criticised in some media about her Scottish accent in the Mary Queen of Scots film, because Mary had been raised and schooled in France and was known (from written records of the time) to speak with a pronounced French accent. Ye can't win!

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I heard him admitting on his show that he was told to lose the strong Cork accent and got elocution classes in order to lose it.

He's dead right. Quite a few Irish TV people have had elocution and speech lessons to get rid of heavy local accents, that would be unintelligible to the greater mass of the audience.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    She's from Carlow but doesn't really have a heavy, flat "Carla" accent.

Probably because her parents are as Dub as Dubs can be. Her mam is from Cabra and her dad is from Crumlin. She actually grew up in Dublin and only went to school in Carlow briefly.

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Bang on about David Norris and Clare Daly.

Clare Daly was a shop steward for loaders and cleaners in Dublin Airport, so any posh accent would have been knocked out of her fast, so her accent is accurate. She was a tough player as a union rep, which is why she's the way she is in the Dail. You don't have to like her, but if she's fighting your corner, she'll give it her all. If more TDs had a bit of spine like her, we'd have a better classo fpolitical representation.

Probably because her parents are as Dub as Dubs can be. Her mam is from Cabra and her dad is from Crumlin. She actually grew up in Dublin and only went to school in Carlow briefly.

Good friends of mine are friends of theirs and have told me that Saoirse is completely down to earth and the real deal and has long been kept normal by her parents, who are not "luvvies".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

People come to live in Ireland and take the edge off their native accent with a bit of brogue and we say fair play to them.

Irish people go abroad and pick up a bit of the local accent and phraseology and we say who do they think they are.

Go figure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

She has a very strong Dublin accent though, despite never having lived there. She sounds more like someone who grew up in a working class area of Dublin, than someone who grew up in a rural area with parents originally from Dublin.

It is definitely exagerrated. I really like her acting but can't stand listening to get on talk shows. Accent very fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Colin Farrell. Trys to sound like he grew up in tough working class area 8n Dublin. He is from Castleknock:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭NSAman

Twink!!!!!

Zip up yer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

On the Graham Norton show recently they played a clip of saoirse talking on the radio when she was a little child (she'd won a competition) and her accent was exactly the same as it is now!

Awww I'm like Irrrrriiiiiiissssssssh. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Stovepipe wrote: »
    You don't have to like her, but if she's fighting your corner, she'll give it her all. If more TDs had a bit of spine like her, we'd have a better classo fpolitical representation.

The Haely-Raes seem to give it their all fighting Kerry's corner. Not sure how many would describe them as a better class of political representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yeah she sounds really North inner city Dubliner here

I know, and in Atonement she sounds British!
    She’s fierce confused god love her.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I know, and in Atonement she sounds British!
    She’s fierce confused god love her.

:rolleyes:

Actress in adopting an accent for a film role shocker.

Actress in adopting an accent for a film role shocker.

I was joking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

People think I am American when they hear me, Spanish when they see me.

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Aidan Gillen. The only Irishman who can't do an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Aidan Gillen. The only man who can't do an accent.

He cant even do the same accent in consecutive sentences. I'm pretty sure i've heard him change accent mid sentence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Aidan Gillen. The only Irishman who can't do an Irish accent.

Don't forget Pierce Brosnan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

appledrop wrote: »
    It is definitely exagerrated. I really like her acting but can't stand listening to get on talk shows. Accent very fake.

Why the Fcuk does anybody think she would put on that accent? Do you think that over in the US, or the U.K., a strong Dublin accent is necessary for success?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

fryup wrote: »
    Gordon Ramsey,

comes from rough Glasgow and speaks posh southern english??? whats that about?

He was raised in Stratford upon avon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Arthur giujoun or whatever his name is

He left Armenia 30 years ago

He couldn't possibly still have an accent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hilary Clinton comes to mind here.

During the campaign for the 1992 US Presidential election when Bill Clinton was then Governor of Arkansas, she had this inflected southern drawl if you look at old news footage from that era, despite coming from a well-to-do middle class Chicago background.

Funnily enough, she seemed to lose it very quickly after becoming First Lady during Bill’s first term as President.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jasysis, lads, this thread is 7 years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I took a stroll down memory lane.

Lot of posters no longer with us.

Danny Dyer still a diamond geezer though 🙂

Her accent while on the campaign trail in the South during the 2008 primary was something else. Cartoonish stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Andrew Doyle. From Derry yet speaks with an English home counties accent.

Advertisement