Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrities who put on a fake their accent 24/7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Twink - she imitates human speech, but in truth her normal vocalisations are the screeches and howls of the Harridan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan's accent is messed up but I think that's partly due to having lived in several countries in her relatively short life so far. Her father has a strong Dublin accent too which gives her that northside twang.
    Her mother is the northsider, father is the southsider, but both with fine Dublin accents. That's the base of her accent which does vary due to moving around and role requirements. She really isn't the type to put on accents despite what some reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

DrPhilG wrote: »
    See the post before yours.

He's not putting on an accent. He's slowing his own down to be understood.

The international language of louder and slower.

And I think he's a dick by the way, before anyone accuses me of being a fan boy.

It's not just for the Yanks, it's just when he's "on" in general. This is not his real accent at all when speaking to Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late;

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Borat. I'll bet he's not even from Kazakhstan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭elperello

dinorebel wrote: »
    You spelt wan*er wrong.

You say that again and I'll punch you up the fhroath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't think David norris accent is fake. I know 4 or 5 people personally who speak like that too for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No one has mentioned the originator of the fake accent yet! The one and only "mockney" Mick Jagger.
    Mick was a clever boy in swinging sixties London when his phony east London accent worked wonders getting posh birds like Marianne Faithful into the sack.
    It also impressed gullible upper class twits such as Princess Margaret who knew no better. He was years ahead of other "mockneys" such as Lily Allen, working class hero and son of a diplomat Joe Strummer and Blur to name a few.

So called plastic accents (plastic as in malleable) are generally an unconscious thing, linked to accommodation and/or convergence. The more accents you're exposed to growing up, the more easily it happens.

Convergence happens when we're in the company of people or individuals we want to get along with, and whom we like or admire. We adopt not only speech patterns and sounds but also physical mannerisms and minor affectations in a mirroring process that we're generally unaware of.

Accommodation happens when someone with a strong accent finds themselves changing how they speak consciously, so that they are more easily and better understood. Over time, it becomes habit and you 'pick up' an accent.

Neither are negative things, and the tendency to both converge and accommodate are linked with empathy, the more in tune you are with the people you spend time with, the more likely you are to pick up their accent or aspects of it.

Of the examples given in the OP, I'd be interested in how an accent is ascertained to be fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

dinorebel wrote: »
    John Bishop

Not a bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Not fake. He went to university in the US.

Fake American accent or not, he’s still a tosser

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Grayson wrote: »
    I had no idea who she was so I googled her. On her wikipedia page it says

Donna Air-head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The Healy-Raes.
    You think the Healy Rae's put on their accents, come out of the fcuking fog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

velo.2010 wrote: »

I'm of the firm belief that Imelda May adds a little VAT to her Dublin accent. She's spent the last 20 years living in London, yet sounds like she worked her whole life on Moore Street.

Imelda May was born and bred in the Liberties, she sounds like anyone from around there would. iirc her real name is Imelda Clabby but Clabby doesnt sell records so she changed it.

When you move to another country and they don’t understand you, do you expect them to change?

Not saying it excuses everyone but I think it’s very understandable that someone moving from Scotland or Ireland to America will have to adapt in order to be understood.
    I know a few Polish that have strong Cork accents, stronger than most people from Cork that have adopted that annoying false accent ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Yer wan Nadine Coyne who after a few years in the States couldn't pronounce Naas.

KellyXX wrote: »
    A million times this.
    Try asking for a mountain dew in a shop in the states and see how long it takes you to change your accent.
    Very quick :) I know an Irish woman trying to communicate with a few Polish and she spoke slow and loud in English thinking they might understand :D I wouldn't mind but I had plenty conversations with the same men in English :D

KellyXX wrote: »
    A million times this.
    Try asking for a mountain dew in a shop in the states and see how long it takes you to change your accent.
    Just talk slow and loud like a Texan :)

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I love the Scottish accent, I assume there's more than one as Billy Connolly talks too fast and sounds like double Dutch but I had two Scottish salesmen calling to me and I could understand them no bother, I could stay talking to them all day long. One fella told me ye call children berns if my memory is correct :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I love the Scottish accent, I assume there's more than one as Billy Connolly talks too fast and sounds like double Dutch but I had two Scottish salesmen calling to me and I could understand them no bother, I could stay talking to them all day long. One fella told me ye call children berns if my memory is correct :)

yep, bairns or waynes... both words commonly used in Donegal

Waynes = wee ones (way uns)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Candie wrote: »
    So called plastic accents (plastic as in malleable) are generally an unconscious thing, linked to accommodation and/or convergence. The more accents you're exposed to growing up, the more easily it happens.

Convergence happens when we're in the company of people or individuals we want to get along with, and whom we like or admire. We adopt not only speech patterns and sounds but also physical mannerisms and minor affectations in a mirroring process that we're generally unaware of.

Accommodation happens when someone with a strong accent finds themselves changing how they speak consciously, so that they are more easily and better understood. Over time, it becomes habit and you 'pick up' an accent.

Neither are negative things, and the tendency to both converge and accommodate are linked with empathy, the more in tune you are with the people you spend time with, the more likely you are to pick up their accent or aspects of it.

Of the examples given in the OP, I'd be interested in how an accent is ascertained to be fake.

I've found quite the opposite in my experience. I notice my own accent a lot more in foreign places. I definitely don't conform to the local's way of speaking anyway. I dunno if it just sounds stronger among their speech or if I'm enunciating subconsciously as a territory thing. It's all fascinating,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I think Christian Bale has been working for so long he doesn't know what accent he truly has anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

elperello wrote: »
    Diamond geezer.

A geezer is a water spout that comes out of the ground. Danny is a geeZAH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

tricky D wrote: »
    Her mother is the northsider, father is the southsider, but both with fine Dublin accents. That's the base of her accent which does vary due to moving around and role requirements. She really isn't the type to put on accents despite what some reckon.

She has a very strong Dublin accent though, despite never having lived there. She sounds more like someone who grew up in a working class area of Dublin, than someone who grew up in a rural area with parents originally from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t think D Norris’s accent is fake but Clare Daly went to a boarding school but gets clean away with her mock “howaya” tripe.
    Graham Norton’s accent is totally unrealistic too.
    Bono’s midatlantic twang is like everything else about U2, totally fake.

Graham Norton still speaks the exact same way he did long before he became famous, that just his voice, nothing put on about it.

Clare Daly has the most nauseating horrible vomit inducing voice/accent ever but I guess with a face like hers it would be hard to have a nice voice/accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

valoren wrote: »
    I think Christian Bale has been working for so long he doesn't know what accent he truly has anymore.
    Yeah I saw this interview yesterday and he sounds quasi-Australian   https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/christian-bale-talks-hostiles-and-his-new-look/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Russell Brand sounds like a regular Essex bloke save for the extensive vocabulary.

ziggy wrote: »

You're both wrong, it's wains. And I'm not even from Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No one has mentioned the originator of the fake accent yet! The one and only "mockney" Mick Jagger.
    Mick was a clever boy in swinging sixties London when his phony east London accent worked wonders getting posh birds like Marianne Faithful into the sack.
    It also impressed gullible upper class twits such as Princess Margaret who knew no better. He was years ahead of other "mockneys" such as Lily Allen, working class hero and son of a diplomat Joe Strummer and Blur to name a few.

The really early footage of Mick and the boys is illuminating.

No one has mentioned Gillian Anderson and her voices ;) (which one is the fake - one, both or neither?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Sairse Ronan talks like a bogger. I can't fathom why people think she would fake that kind of an accent.

I know people who went on a J1 to the states and came back sounding like the kardashians.

I'm taking the Noel Gallagher stance on Bono

She is a bogger
    But she hams it up. Diddly ei dee Im so sweet diddums type crap

Over rated actress too Brooklyn was over acted balls.

Advertisement