Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goals for 2018?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

A few targets to chase throughout the year

Distance|Current PB|Target
    Marathon| 3:17:29|3:14:00
    Half|1:30:00|1:32:02
    10 Miles|69:10|68:00
    10k|41:18|41:00
    5 Miles|33:07|32:45
    5K|19:50|19:30

I managed 1550 miles last year so any increase on that will do..

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

My 2018 goals are:
    1. Sub 48min 10k
    2. Sub 1hr45mins half marathon
    3. Sub 4hr marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

quick feet wrote: »
    A few targets to chase throughout the year

Marathon| 3:17:29|3:14:00
    Half|1:30:00|1:32:02
    10 Miles|69:10|68:00
    10k|41:18|41:00
    5 Miles|33:07|32:45
    5K|19:50|19:30

I managed 1550 miles last year so any increase on that will do..

Why target a 1.32 Half when the PB is 1.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

Marathon| 3:16:56|3:09:59
    Half|1:26:46|1:24:59
    10 Miles|68:45|66:00
    10k|39:35|38:00
    5K|18:46|18:00

All PB’s came last year, 10 mile and marathon should of been faster.
    Marathon will be the main target in either May or October, I better decide which soon

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

OOnegative wrote: »
    Why target a 1.32 Half when the PB is 1.30?
    Apolagies; it's a typo should of read 1:32- 1:30 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sutrra

Limerick, Belfast and Dublin Marathons. 100 Miles of Istria (green route), Mourne Way Marathon, Kerry Ultralite, and at the end of the year hopefully break the 11.05 time from last year Raw Ultra WW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

skyblue46 wrote: »
    1. Sub 20 5k even if I have to wait until Jingle Bells
    2. Hopefully get through S&C in one piece, stay injury free and notice the benefits
    3. 1.35 for a half
    4. 1:09:59 for 10 miles
    5. Keep enjoying running as much as I have been.

Happy Christmas to all, hope ye have a ball :)

One done and one fail so far! S&C bit the dust! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

4Ad wrote: »
    Signed up for my first Marathon in March..
    Finish it in a respectable time.

Done..Delighted witn my time...
    What next ?
    Hills and off road I'm thinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

sutrra wrote: »
    Limerick, Belfast and Dublin Marathons. 100 Miles of Istria (green route), Mourne Way Marathon, Kerry Ultralite, and at the end of the year hopefully break the 11.05 time from last year Raw Ultra WW.

Taking it easy, yeah :)

That's a great looking collection. I'll be very interested to hear how you find Istria. It looks like its a spectacular location. Do report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sutrra

Enduro wrote: »
    Taking it easy, yeah :)

That's a great looking collection. I'll be very interested to hear how you find Istria. It looks like its a spectacular location. Do report back!
    Istria is a place where i was born and raised, so will be really pround to do that race. So the race report will be with a big disclaimer because of that 🙂.But will try to do my best !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Itziger wrote: »
    Going to keep it simple I think. (Note last two words)

HM - Plan on having a go at this PB in March. 1.22.04 on this very course in 2015.
    Marathon - Will have a go at 2.55

The rest... we'll see.

One down, one to go. A big and lovely surprise on Sunday in Diekirch. 1.21.05 now confirmed.

Surprise because the weather, you can imagine, was very cold and quite windy. This forecast had got me down in the days previous to the race and my mind wasn't in a good place. However, on the day the training stood to me. And here is a great lesson for me and maybe others. You'll never have heard it before. It's a running revolution.......... Trust the Training. Seriously though. I'd done some tough sessions and I should have been positive but I let something outside my control get to me. Not during the race, mind. Once we kicked off the old race feel came back and I said, fcuk that and your 'plan' to run this as a marathon pace training session. Shame I couldn't catch the fella in front of me in the last km. I'd a got the 1.20.xx. Next year maybe, or the year after when I hit the 55 category. Eyes on the prize, baby, eyes on the prize.

Now for Marathon training.

One down, one to go. A big and lovely surprise on Sunday in Diekirch. 1.21.05 now confirmed.

Surprise because the weather, you can imagine, was very cold and quite windy. This forecast had got me down in the days previous to the race and my mind wasn't in a good place. However, on the day the training stood to me. And here is a great lesson for me and maybe others. You'll never have heard it before. It's a running revolution.......... Trust the Training. Seriously though. I'd done some tough sessions and I should have been positive but I let something outside my control get to me. Not during the race, mind. Once we kicked off the old race feel came back and I said, fcuk that and your 'plan' to run this as a marathon pace training session. Shame I couldn't catch the fella in front of me in the last km. I'd a got the 1.20.xx. Next year maybe, or the year after when I hit the 55 category. Eyes on the prize, baby, eyes on the prize.

Good man, you are making a mockery of us young lads!!

Good man, you are making a mockery of us young lads!!

Maybe your hydration plan is off pre-race, young fella. On the Friday I had a few (4) bottles of Battin (local lager) and I was very good on Sat. just had two cans of Guinness draught watching the rugger buggers.

To be fair, I had done a min-taper for this and I had done some nice sessions. What I've found in my most recent pb's (Marthon 2017 and last Sunday's Half) is that identifying workouts in training that bring you to where you want to be in fitness and sharpness is key. I've mentioned something about this in the sub 3 thread I think. Find a few workouts that are tough but that deep down you know are working. That will vary from runner to runner, depending on your strengths and weaknesses. So, for the Half I take a couple of Garmin Advanced sessions and one kinda homemade one and I build them into a vague plan. I find I need about 6 to 8 weeks of decent training to do a good Half. I'm currently running 6 or 7 days a week but besides the workouts all the rest is easy stuff. I can't really be bothered with hill reps and that - I just don't know if they ever did anything for me. Maybe I wasn't doing 'em right.

Consistent training is a must, as we know. I find I can operate at about 90+% of pb level just off of decent honest training with no fancy stuff. But for the PB you obviously need to up the ante. Don't complicate it. If you're already fit and in ok shape, as almost all here are, then you need to find a plan to get you the extra few % points. If you're super ambitious and aiming for a sub 2.30 marathon say, then that's a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Giving us old fogeys some hope!

After 3 years on the comeback trail I ran my best marathon (3:27) in Cork last year, aged 50. Thanks to your example I can believe it's not all downhill from here, so looking forward to improving further in the next few years. Current plan is to take this year out of marathon training, enjoy some long slow ultras and resume a plan aiming for a 3:10-3:15 marathon in spring 2019.

I could do with following your plan, but I suspect it involves lots of miles in relatively benign Spanish winters - as opposed to dragging my ass out on dark,dreary Irish winter mornings. Still, getting out the door is the hardest part :-)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Giving us old fogeys some hope!

After 3 years on the comeback trail I ran my best marathon (3:27) in Cork last year, aged 50. Thanks to your example I can believe it's not all downhill from here, so looking forward to improving further in the next few years. Current plan is to take this year out of marathon training, enjoy some long slow ultras and resume a plan aiming for a 3:10-3:15 marathon in spring 2019.

I could do with following your plan, but I suspect it involves lots of miles in relatively benign Spanish winters - as opposed to dragging my ass out on dark,dreary Irish winter mornings. Still, getting out the door is the hardest part :-)

You must know me from years ago man!!!! I lived in Spain from 1990 to '99. Been in Luxoland since 2001. Benign, me arse. Windchill on Sunday was about -8 or lower. My teeth were hurting me on Monday and Tuesday this week!!

I would absolutely love to feel that some people here take a little inspiration from my performances. That's the biggest compliment anyone can receive. Thanks... and go for it!!!!! Fancy an auld trail in Lux or Germany? A running mate sent me a link to a cool looking one in mid late August near Hahn (the famous Ryanair airport) or I might, big might, try the 75k yoke that nearly killed me last September again this year.

You must know me from years ago man!!!! I lived in Spain from 1990 to '99. Been in Luxoland since 2001. Benign, me arse. Windchill on Sunday was about -8 or lower. My teeth were hurting me on Monday and Tuesday this week!!

I would absolutely love to feel that some people here take a little inspiration from my performances. That's the biggest compliment anyone can receive. Thanks... and go for it!!!!! Fancy an auld trail in Lux or Germany? A running mate sent me a link to a cool looking one in mid late August near Hahn (the famous Ryanair airport) or I might, big might, try the 75k yoke that nearly killed me last September again this year.

What marathon are you targeting?

What marathon are you targeting?

Stockholm, June 2nd. If I avoid injury in my upcoming visit to Alpine slopes. Second in my life........

Might do Autumn one as well. Haven't decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

You must know me from years ago man!!!! I lived in Spain from 1990 to '99. Been in Luxoland since 2001. Benign, me arse.

My bad! Knew you were somewhere in dem foreign parts.
    Yea, winter in the Benelux area would be no picnic either.

Deliberately don't have much on my racing schedule, 100k on 1st April which I'm not exactly ready for, but I will tough it out because its paid for, and then Belfast 24hr in June. Would love to do some of the continental ultras, but time and funds won't allow this year.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Realize I missed this last year. Gonna try and approach this as a performance review and something specific enough that it is measurable

Mileage - 3000 (This year to date - 3055)
    Simple fact that this is a target is with a new baby come April maintaining mileage will be sign that I have managed it well

Tracking as 17 miles ahead of target

Performance
    - PB's - 10k, HM, Marathon - (current PBs: 34.10/1.16.01/2.43.01)
    Bronze - 1% improvement,
    Silver - 2% improvement,
    Gold - 5% improvement

Silver Target for HM with 1.14.48 PB

Competition
    - 2 Championships gold medals (Dublin/Leinster/All Ireland) - (Currently 1 from 2017)
    - Top 10 Dublin Intermediate XC (Best previous performances - 11th, 13th)

1 team gold Achieved so far

Coaching
    - 24 PB's achieved (from 11 athletes)
    Currently 15

- 3 >5% improvement PB's (largest in 2017 - 17.5%/10 min over 10k)

Currently 1 7% improvement and a 3% as next best

- 2 CountyProvincial/National Championship medals ( 2 achieved in 2017)

1 National medal

- 1 Outright Podium Finish (1 Race win in 2017)

Quarterly update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Quarterly update

Do "soft" races count as podiums?????? ;) Also, who's the 7%?! Curiosity getting the better of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just realised i never posted any goals, so a bit late but here they are :cool:

PBs (correct as of Dec 31st 2017)
    5k: Current 24:36, goal 23:59
    10k: Current 52:12, goal 50:xx
    10m: Current 1:30:50, goal 1:29:xx
    HM: Current 2:09:25, goal 1:59:59
    Marathon, Current 4:37:06, goal - no plans to run another in 2018 (famous last words :P)

And of course all the other less quantifiable but equally as important goals such as keeping the enjoyment factor.

1 out of the 4 was achieved in the first quarter - 10m 1:26:11. I didn't race any of the other distances. DCM may also now be back on the cards :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Think I'd really like to try to break 21 minutes for 5K, I've done 21'09 and 21'08...Might try to break it down to miles and even quarter miles in training and try to do those faster :) Have a quarter mile, half mile and mile distance from home measured :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Get back running within a reasonable timeframe after the newbie makes their appearance in mid-February

Get running with the double buggy when #2 is big enough - we have one of these just waiting for a smaller copilot.

More Parkrun tourism - I'm on 23 different events at the moment, would like to get up to around 35-40.

Do a 10k in the summer and possibly a 10 miler (finally get around to doing the Cabbage Patch 10 in Twickenham!) or half late in 2018

Baby arrived on 1st February and I started running again in mid-March, I've done 3 parkruns since then.

Not one of them was my home one - they were Mile End, Pymmes and Valentines so 2 out of 3 were new to me. I'm on 26 different events now but have been meaning to get back to Highbury Fields soon.

I'm doing some very slow run-walk with the double buggy, little copilot is well wedged in with the Out n About newborn support and a thick seat liner.

I've entered the Cabbage Patch 10, that's October 14th. Will hopefully be able to give it a good go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Since I was in a car accident last year my left knee hasn't been right.
    At its worst I couldn't run more than three quarters of a mile without agony in it.
    With a lot of physio over the last couple of months and strength training it seems to be finally getting a bit better (up to 1.75 miles now, may even go for 2 this weekend!).
    If I can do a 10k and maybe even a half this year I'd be over the moon.
    My wife is doing the womens mini marathon for the first time and its pure torture watching her training.

My names Supercell and I'm a recovering runaholic :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

1. Sub 20 5k even if I have to wait until Jingle Bells
    2. Hopefully get through S&C in one piece, stay injury free and notice the benefits
    3. 1.35 for a half
    4. 1:09:59 for 10 miles
    5. Keep enjoying running as much as I have been.

Happy Christmas to all, hope ye have a ball :)

1, 3 and 5 done. 2 is just not my thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

1, 3 and 5 done. 2 is just not my thing!

Fantastic progress. Starting from similar place, it took me six years to achieve what you have done in one!

1. 1.25 Half marathon at CPC Loop Den Haag in March.
    2. Stay injury free once more.
    3. Improve 5k/10k PB's.
    4. And for the season that's in it, a surprise please.

1. 1.26.11 in the CPC in March, the 1.25 was there only for cramping in last 3k, still very happy with the time I ran.
    2. So far so good, few niggles but don’t we all.
    3. Improved 10k to 38.46, haven’t raced a 5k yet.
    4. Still waiting on the surprise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Duanington wrote: »
    5k ( ugh)....f*ck it, sub 17.10

5 miles - sub 29

10k - 35.x

10 mile - race one, don't particularly like the distance though...and it doesn't like me

1/2 - sub 1.20 ( first half of the year hopefully

mara - sub 2.50

Basically to do what I should have done this year :(

Oh, eat more red meat :o

First 2 ticked off, onto the 10k\10mile\half now ( although might not get to race both 10mile and half)

Duanington wrote: »
    First 2 ticked off, onto the 10k\10mile\half now ( although might not get to race both 10mile and half)

What about the red meat bit D?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

noelearly wrote: »
    2017 exceeded my expectations almost perfect until i twinged my glutimis maximus in my final race on new years eve.

So here goes.
    5k : sub 17 pb (17.37) so ambitious enough
    5m : sub 30 on (30.37)
    10k hate it so staying clear I think
    10m: sub 64 Mallow Sub 60 John Buckley
    Half: sub 1 20 Clonmel or Charleville
    Marathon. Sub 3 Cork Sub 2.50 Frankfurt

Main targets John Buckley and Frankfurt so looking to peak in September/October.

Well so far I got sub 64 in Mallow and 30.07 for 5 mile. Next Cork Marahon in 17 days, but I'm not counting.

Advertisement