Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2018?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Thinking newry lad. It's my local run but support not great. What about you?

Looks like Limerick again squinn,I've signed up for Manchester on April 8th,but only back running this week,was out for nearly a month,dought I'd be in p.b,shape that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Similar for me I was injured for 5 months all told. Back since about Halloween but it's gradual. My plan is to try to get there by raising miles 50-60 per week. Newry is a decent course with a flat second half but in a wilderness!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sleep more
    Eat less
    Stick to the 80-10-10 rule

Results will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Enduro wrote: »
    This thread got me thinking...

Hey Enduro - not trying to hijack the thread too much, but what does your training look like in general / this year? I'm familiar enough with your race reports, but I have no idea what happens in between :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Going to keep it simple I think. (Note last two words)

HM - Plan on having a go at this PB in March. 1.22.04 on this very course in 2015.
    Marathon - Will have a go at 2.55

The rest... we'll see.

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Going to keep it simple I think. (Note last two words)

HM - Plan on having a go at this PB in March. 1.22.04 on this very course in 2015.
    Marathon - Will have a go at 2.55

The rest... we'll see.
    Where are you having your attempts?

Middle of March in a town called Diekirch (Luxembourg). Flat but can be windy as it's all along a river. If not windy, I'll give it a lash.

Marathon, Stockholm, June 2nd. Might have another go in Autumn.

I was looking at your times, so similar to mine!

Middle of March in a town called Diekirch (Luxembourg). Flat but can be windy as it's all along a river. If not windy, I'll give it a lash.

I know pal, mine are just a bit slower!!! Never did a run away from home but would love to try it out.
    I'll be out for a tune up half in feb and then pb attempt in Omagh in march I think it is. Full will be newry end of May

I know pal, mine are just a bit slower!!! Never did a run away from home but would love to try it out.
    I'll be out for a tune up half in feb and then pb attempt in Omagh in march I think it is. Full will be newry end of May

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Track
    1. Run 400, 800, 1500. Sub-2:30 for the 800, others for the experience.
    2. Participate in at least one of the provincial or national masters meets.
    3. Take part in indoor meet.

XC
    3. Dont get lapped in Dublin Masters.
    4. Run at least two other events (say this every year and fail).

Road
    5. Run two sub-20 5ks without pacer assistance. ;)
    6. 69:xx for the 10 mile.
    7. Run a good NYC marathon. Within 3 mins of PB.
    8. HM PB and beat clubmate in Charleville smackdown. (On paper, right now, last part seems non-contest, but he may well have something up his sleeve.)

Life
    9. Be more constructive, positive, helpful.

If I can achieve the last one, I’ll be happy enough. ;) All the best to everyone in 2018. May it be a vintage year of boardsmanship.

• Advertisement

18:30 for a short measured 5k today. First place with a flu and over indulgence. I'll take that think it's a decent sign of things to come in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Top 10 on Carrauntoohil
    Top 10 Irish Championships
    Sub 18 5km

What Irish champs can you come 10th in without having broken 18 mins for 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

18:30 for a short measured 5k today. First place with a flu and over indulgence. I'll take that think it's a decent sign of things to come in 2018

You don’t have flu. If you have flu you have a very high temperature, the shivers, are sweating the bed every night, haven’t the energy to stand up, and feel like you are going to die. I had the flu last Christmas and the whole holiday period was a write off. I couldn’t train for almost 2 weeks.

You had a dose, not the flu.

pconn062 wrote: »

Beer Mile.

Chivito550 wrote: »

You don’t have flu. If you have flu you have a very high temperature, the shivers, are sweating the bed every night, haven’t the energy to stand up, and feel like you are going to die. I had the flu last Christmas and the whole holiday period was a write off. I couldn’t train for almost 2 weeks.

Thanks for the diagnosis doc.

You’re very welcome.

Hate the way people say they have flu when they have a cold. If you have flu you can barely get out of bed to take a dump, let alone run 5k in under 19 minutes.

You’re very welcome.

Hate the way people say they have flu when they have a cold. If you have flu you can barely get out of bed to take a dump, let alone run 5k in under 19 minutes.
    Seems like a trivial thing to get annoyed about. You are right, it's a bit of a chest cold leaving me low in energy And finding it hard to sleep. If I were concentrating more when posting I'd have said cold but I said flu. Anyhow with an ailment it was a decent 4.5k run

Seems like a trivial thing to get annoyed about. You are right, it's a bit of a chest cold leaving me low in energy And finding it hard to sleep. If I were concentrating more when posting I'd have said cold but I said flu. Anyhow with an ailment it was a decent 4.5k run

Yeh it is trivial, until you get the flu for real, and when you say to people you had the flu over Christmas they think you had man flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ultrababy

The Irish 24hour Championships.

Top 10 on Carrauntoohil
    Top 10 Irish Championships
    ...Carrauntoohil...Irish Championships...

IMRA. Was 11th on Carrauntoohil last year, don't do a huge amount on roads...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I've been thinking about these goals a fair bit over the past few days, so here they are:

1. Continue to run more consistently than this year. This year I was a consistent runner in that I ran all throughout the year, except when I was ill. But I wasn't consistent in the mileage or the type of running I was doing, nor the amounts of days I was doing week-to-week.

2. 25:XX 5k - not sure if I have this in me or not, but it's definitely a goal of mine. i have a PB of 26:45 but that was 2016 and I've not gotten under 28mins this year.

3. 56:XX 10k - my current PB is 57:39, so 55mins might be a bit of a stretch.

4. Run 50 parkruns. This Saturday will be my 20th, so if I can squeeze in a NYD double I'll be off to a good start on that one

5. Volunteer at parkrun 40 times. This Saturday will be 20 times so another 20 over the next year is definitely doable.

6. Complete at least 2 half marathons. Beating my time of 2.5hrs from August is also a goal, but I really don't see how I could be any worse than that (famous last words maybe, heh)

7. To have a better winter next year than I did this year. I don't know what happened this winter. I was going really well until about mid-Nov and then I went into total hibernation mode, eating less, sleeping more, staying indoors.

And obv, no injuries please! :)

Best of luck with for 2018 all!

Man flu, it's called. A classic case. ;)

There may be other examples, but you can be top 3 or 4 or 5 in masters championships events (track) without ever having had an 18 or even a 19 min 5k. The point being (I suppose) that an 18 min 5k doesn't necessarily mean anything special, depending on who did it, and when.

Having said that, it is certainly a very significant achievement, that only a tiny minority of runners ever achieve, and all the more valuable for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Murph_D wrote: »
    There may be other examples, but you can be top 3 or 4 or 5 in masters championships events (track) without ever having had an 18 or even a 19 min 5k. The point being (I suppose) that an 18 min 5k doesn't necessarily mean anything special, depending on who did it, and when.

Having said that, it is certainly a very significant achievement, that only a tiny minority of runners ever achieve, and all the more valuable for that.

Agree with most of that, I was just curious when someone casually throws in top 10 at National champs and sub 18 5k in the same post it got me thinking. When I think National champs I automatically think senior, cross country, track, etc.

Murph_D wrote: »

Jaysus, Murph, I dunno. How significant can it be if a fella like me can do it at the age of 50? I shared PConn's surprise at the two appearing in the same target list tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Jaysus, Murph, I dunno. How significant can it be if a fella like me can do it at the age of 50?

It's as significant as a a personal goal can be. How significant is a sub-3 marathon if a 73 year old can do it? A sub-4 mile when 40+ year olds do it. It's a personal goal in trying to improve oneself and it's a significant goal to motivate the person trying to achieve it which is the point of this thread.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Jaysus, Murph, I dunno. How significant can it be if a fella like me can do it at the age of 50?

It's as significant as a a personal goal can be. How significant is a sub-3 marathon if a 73 year old can do it? A sub-4 mile when 40+ year olds do it. It's a personal goal in trying to improve oneself and it's a significant goal to motivate the person trying to achieve it which is the point of this thread.
    But Murph didn't say it was a personal goal. I understand the idea of goals being specific to individuals, I don't think that sub 18 is a "very significant achievement" though, just as I don't think that sub 3 is a v.s.a. either in general terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

But Murph didn't say it was a personal goal. I understand the idea of goals being specific to individuals, I don't think that sub 18 is a "very significant achievement" though, just as I don't think that sub 3 is a v.s.a. either in general terms.

Yeah I get you, probably depends on where you are looking from as well I suppose. There's probably guys out there that look at making an Olympic team or final as not a significant achievement but to others, it's a huge deal. Not comparing that to a sub-18 before I get called out on it;) but just musing.

Going to bow out that before I completely derail this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

It's each to there own, I'd consider a sub 3 marathon a big achievement for myself cause to call a spade a spade I'm just a middle of the road runner but to others a sub 3 is the norm and could be achieved any day of the week. You harped on about your sub 3 in Cork plenty when it happened........

• Advertisement

Replied but it was lost in the webnet. Back to thread relevancy.

Advertisement