Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favorite Marketing lies?

Options
  • 15-12-2017 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

I love these ones that crops up on car ads

"No Nct but will fly through"

I bet you 55 euro it won't you hoodwinker!

"First to see will buy"

"One careful lady owner"

Comments

Space saver spare tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I remember seeing a box of donuts advertised in the US as 0% trans fats. Not technically a lie, but the implication that they were a healthier choice made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Diamonds are Forever." DeBoers.

The greatest marketing campaign ever run.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

The five year extended warranty was €129 but I can give it to you today for €49.

OR

You can pay the direct debit in monthly installments. First payment today is usually €30 but I'll knock €15 off for you.

Both Currys.

Also the 0% finance and minimum monthly installments plan. Don't have time to explain now. Give it a Google.

I work in finance, it's amusing to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

"FIVE HITS IN A ROW" - FM104 DJ in between each of the five songs to say "FIVE HITS IN A ROW" over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Electric cars : zero emissions!

Yeah, how was the electricity produced??

Also heard an ad on the radio for Firebird boilers.
    "complies with all existing and future regulations".
    Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Drop in and speak to our friendly and knowledgeable staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Guinness calling themselves 'the black stuff' when the actual colour of the product is a deep dark red.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Red bull makes you fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All the car companies offering free Road Tax when we don't have a road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Miles Fuel. Up to 3% further.

Up to.

3 poxy percent!

WOW WHERE DO I SIGN!??

Stupidest marketing campaign of 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

PLL wrote: »
    The five year extended warranty was €129 but I can give it to you today for €49.

OR

You can pay the direct debit in monthly installments. First payment today is usually €30 but I'll knock €15 off for you.

Both Currys.

Also the 0% finance and minimum monthly installments plan. Don't have time to explain now. Give it a Google.

I work in finance, it's amusing to watch.
    then cancel the DD after a day, pay it in full and you've just made €15

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Non Iron, Easi Iron.

Stainless Steel

Scratch Resistant

The majority of customers agree this will 100% make you look and feel better*

*51% agreed according to our survey of 19 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

UNLIMITED FIBRE BROADBAND

1TB Fair usage policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

"The customer is always right". I hope whoever came up with that is burning in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Some chap tried to sue a dry cleaners for 67 million dollars for losing his trousers based on the Satisfaction Guaranteed sign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

In Ireland, ANY policy warranty for home use tech gear like PC's, printers, that states

'48 hour engineer callout'

especially this time if year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Red bull makes you fly.

I heard somewhere they were sued for saying it gives you wings so changed it to wiiiings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

BLU RAY DVD

yah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

''Your **** is our bread and Butter'' (sh1t)

Saw that on the back of a Drainage companies Van a few years ago on the M50.

more a logo but defo got my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I love these ones that crops up on car ads

"No Nct but will fly through"

I bet you 55 euro it won't you hoodwinker!

"First to see will buy"

"One careful lady owner"

The 14 year olds in the pictures for skin care products in the chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Strictly speaking a customer service lie, but always guaranteed to irritate me.

When on hold. "Your call is important to us. Please wait...."

Not bloody well important enough to employ sufficient numbers of staff to man the phones though eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

This isn't a piece of marketing as such, because you only noticed it after you'd already purchased the product, but seeing 'Believe' written on the inside of the Manchester United jersey's crest used to make me gag. And I'm a Man Utd fan!

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking a customer service lie, but always guaranteed to irritate me.

When on hold. "Your call is important to us. Please wait...."

Not bloody well important enough to employ sufficient numbers of staff to man the phones though eh!

There's a sign in Bank of Ireland on Arran Quay that's spluttering out something about 'valued customers' etc. I was there mid-week, in a queue, with no staff members present whatsoever. I had to help an old biddy use the ATM. I'm on my lunch-break and doing voluntary work for Bank of Ireland. Valued customers is right, they're lucky to bloody have us.

This isn't a piece of marketing as such, because you only noticed it after you'd already purchased the product, but seeing 'Believe' written on the inside of the Manchester United jersey's crest used to make me gag. And I'm a Man Utd fan!

I remember a head going onto me about I understood nothing about Leeds FC. What's it about then, sez I? "Respect, tradition" sez he. What does that mean, sez I and he hasn't a clue.

There's a sign in Bank of Ireland on Arran Quay that's spluttering out something about 'valued customers' etc. I was there mid-week, in a queue, with no staff members present whatsoever. I had to help an old biddy use the ATM. I'm on my lunch-break and doing voluntary work for Bank of Ireland. Valued customers is right, they're lucky to bloody have us.

I've used BOI services at three branches. They've a school of charm all their fecking own.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I remember a head going onto me about I understood nothing about Leeds FC. What's it about then, sez I? "Respect, tradition" sez he. What does that mean, sez I and he hasn't a clue.

Ah sure stop, come here, go 'way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sleepy wrote: »
    "Diamonds are Forever." DeBoers.

The greatest marketing campaign ever run.

Good footballers though

Advertisement