Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favorite Marketing lies?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Septic Eddie - "You dump it, we pump it"

The guy that cleans our septic tank. Best company slogan ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Any and all aftershave and perfume ads.

How do we convey this product? Have Natalie Portman run through sheer satin curtains in Paris. For the lads, but Chris Hemsworth in a suit. Until you release smellovision - this is all futile.

That being said if they were true you'd have panties and boxers being dropped left right and center as a lad wearing Blue Chanel walks past. Try that one out ye pretentious fcks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Crea wrote: »
    Septic Eddie - "You dump it, we pump it"

The guy that cleans our septic tank. Best company slogan ever!

Where's the lie in that slogan though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Mcdonalds avert that goes on about not having chicken beaks etc. in their nuggets, I've seen the ad so many times that every time I see their McNuggets, I think 'chicken beak food'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Every woman in a panty liner or tampon ad is a mountain climbing, skydiving superhuman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In years of alcohol ads I've never seen anyone drunk or even slightly tipsy.

Or hungover or making any regretful decisions like going into, cueing, ordering and eating abrakabra!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I personally have a thing for any ad that claims to make your teeth whiter. Doesn't matter if it's the latest toothbrush technology with rubber parts that just clean the yellow off and you'll look like you've had veneers fitted or toothpaste or some other fancy stuff that you can buy off dodgy sellers on Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Electric cars : zero emissions!

Yeah, how was the electricity produced??

Also heard an ad on the radio for Firebird boilers.
    "complies with all existing and future regulations".
    Fair play!

Don't forget how the batteries are manufactured. Mined minerals, waste, recycling etc. But they are better than combustion engines imo, especially as we move towards renewable energy for electricity production.

Diamonds aren't valuable. The stock has merely been bought up.

Black Friday. You're getting rid of summer stock you couldn't get rid of in the past two sales.

Detox. Your liver does that.

There's lies put out there by consumers too, such as retailers having to sell you items that have been mispriced at the price indicated. I have had people try to pull that one on me. I've worked retail and I'm a trainee lawyer, you can't pull that one on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That there are no angry/sad/single/older people drinking [insert brand here] in a glitzy pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"New & Improved Recipe!" = "We found cheaper ingredients!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

"Sex sells"

The only thing sex sold me was my son, and i still feel ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Not sure if this is completely true but apparently cake mix sales skyrocketed when they changed the formula to require the addition of a fresh egg.

Prior to that it did not require an egg and its thought that the reason it increased sales was because at the time women wanted to feel like they were doing something to add to the cake or else it was too easy and they were happier that at least there were some fresh ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The Mcdonalds avert that goes on about not having chicken beaks etc. in their nuggets, I've seen the ad so many times that every time I see their McNuggets, I think 'chicken beak food'...

There is a very good book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, which you better not read. Focuses a lot on McD. One chapter is entitled 'There's **** in the meat'

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Not sure if this is completely true but apparently cake mix sales skyrocketed when they changed the formula to require the addition of a fresh egg.

Prior to that it did not require an egg and its thought that the reason it increased sales was because at the time women wanted to feel like they were doing something to add to the cake or else it was too easy and they were happier that at least there were some fresh ingredients.

I'd heard that before. Can't remember was it on a course or in a documentary or something. Just checked it on snopes there link when you mention it and sadly it's not true. A great story though.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I'd heard that before. Can't remember was it on a course or in a documentary or something. Just checked it on snopes there link when you mention it and sadly it's not true. A great story though.
    According to that link, it isn't as simple as just "adding a fresh egg", so it isn't entirely false either, more like being economical with the truth.

Something that most marketing agencies excels at!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every woman in a panty liner or tampon ad is a mountain climbing, skydiving superhuman.

And their periods are bright blue in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rebranding "second hand shops" as "vintage shops" and upping the price of old junk accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

We Care

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

There are 3.5 billion women in the world and each one is different so we created a whole 4 panty liners, for all of them. Cracks me up every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There are 3.5 billion women in the world and each one is different so we created a whole 4 panty liners, for all of them. Cracks me up every time.

:)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

More of a "line" than a '"lie" but: Terms and conditions apply.

Translation: "Forget everything we just told you."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

nintchdbpict000245081470-e1496343647398.jpg?strip=all&w=960

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There are 3.5 billion women in the world and no 2 are alike.

Never heard of twins then I take it?

100% natural, yummy. Arsenic is 100% natural.
    In fact, not to get too philosophical - everything is 100% natural. Go find something with a supernatural ingredient!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

*stands to attention*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Products that are crowdfunded are often promoted with a lot of marketing lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Uno duce, una voce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Electric cars : zero emissions!

Yeah, how was the electricity produced??

Actually...
    Energy efficient. EVs convert about 59%–62% of the electrical energy from the grid to power at the wheels. Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 17%–21% of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels.*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

made with 100% chicken breast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Our own govt and the marketing they do around transport is simply brilliantly researched and very effective.

From 2008 (the CO2 emissions based taxation) - Buy diesel... they're way cheaper to run...
    Until you factor in the additional purchase price and propensity to mug you when they go wrong (which they very often do)

...and they're great for the environment...
    Except they really suck for the environment on every front except CO2 let alone the unnecessarily short life cycle of cars in Ireland

... and you'll pay way less motor tax
    But as long as you don't really know how heavily taxed your motoring expenses are and you keep coming back for a new car - we'll give you a tax discount. There's a good lad/ lass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement