Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favorite Marketing lies?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Football on television. It is remarkable how a sport where the majority of the games are bad to watch can get so many viewers.

Tribal loyalty towards specific clubs is quite a remarkable too, not just the super clubs but the mediocre too. There are so many misery clubs that get huge attendances despite the fact that the customers know nothing good will come of the season

That's not something that's exclusive to football, you can argue that about any team sport. By it's very definition, only one team can ever win the league/cup/whatever. A few others may have good seasons and pick up a minor trophy or come close, however the vast majority will simply be making up the numbers. Similarly other sports also attract the tribal loyalty you mention, and if the smaller teams in any of those sports didn't have such a following there would be no teams in existence for the bigger teams to compete against.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Coors with all their Rocky mountain guff and at the bottom of the screen 'brewed in the UK'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thread here might help.

"Shatterproof" on every ruler I had in primary school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Industry Leadership Conferences
    Investment Strategy Conferences
    Meet the industry leaders and leave your money here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Auctioneers.
    About 3 yrs ago a local man decided to sell around 20 acres of farmland. It was facing north with a steep slope from top to bottom and was only ever suitable for grazing.
    When the land went on the market the auctioneer had a YouTube clip done up on his website. It started as a Google Earth shot zooming in on the townlands until the field in question was in full view. There were a few pics then of the surrounding area and of the land for sale. Nothing to indicate the slope of the field though or it's aspect.
    Then came the BS. Pictures of a crop of ripe corn being harvested by huge combines on fields as flat as a table and as far as the eye could see. Not a building or tree to be seen for miles. Obviously clips taken in the States. There wouldn't be machinery that big in this country and it would be a miracle if there was one working in the field that was for sale.
    If anyone watched the video they would think it was a fine bit of ground. Hop in the car to see it in the flesh and you'd get some drop. False advertising at it's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

This one was kinda genius. The marketing gurus for the film Legend spun a two-star review from The Guardian to look much better.

COaZeleUkAAxbYO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Fuel stats from car manufacturers...

Average 64mpg with a shed load of small text with "various factors and variables"

In reality the engine will do 64mpg just with no doors or passengers or in most cases just the engine itself bolted to a bench. While you blame your driving getting 50mpg.

And the "all new car" bollox. Im most its juat a new body and the engine itself can be traced back to the 70s/80s with just mods over the years.

At leasts one particular manufacture goes with the all improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Estate agents.....

Bijou property - a tiny shoe box

Great potential - it is falling down

Beautifully appointed - it's a nice house in a crap area

Only forty minutes drive from Dublin - it's in Ballinasloe and I drive a rocket car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    But you have no commas around

I'm obviously not being 100% scientifically correct. It's forever within any of our lifetimes. That diamond isn't going anywhere while any of us are shitting and weeing and strolling around the planet. Now of course, if you are so inclined - and clearly you are - you can argue that the world will not always be here. But we'll all be carbon in some other form by that point. The main point of my post is that people triumphantly bring up this De Boers tale like nobody has ever heard it before when feckin' everyone has by this point. It's 2004's interesting fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

maudgonner wrote: »
    This one was kinda genius. The marketing gurus for the film Legend spun a two-star review from The Guardian to look much better.

Speaking of film reviews, back when lads' mags were still around you could always trust them to give a 4-/5-star rating to some mediocre comedy/action film, and towards the end they'd slap them on the latest FPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I'm obviously not being 100% scientifically correct. It's forever within any of our lifetimes. That diamond isn't going anywhere while any of us are shitting and weeing and strolling around the planet. Now of course, if you are so inclined - and clearly you are - you can argue that the world will not always be here. But we'll all be carbon in some other form by that point. The main point of my post is that people triumphantly bring up this De Boers tale like nobody has ever heard it before when feckin' everyone has at this point.

That's right you are wrong about it lasting for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    That's right you are wrong about it lasting for ever.

I also said "not really a lie" - this all indicates that I'm playing fast and loose with the parameters. Don't be so Aspergy. Interpret the tone.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I also said "not really a lie" - this all indicates that I'm playing fast and loose with the parameters. Don't be so Aspergy. Interpret the tone.

I dont think you understand the word forever. Im just trying to teach you. Forever means without end. It goes on for ever ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In years of alcohol ads I've never seen anyone drunk or even slightly tipsy.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The context is that Diamond is the hardest, toughest material on earth and with a lot of help from DeBeers the common myth was promulgated that they are in fact indestructable and ever lasting. If they were indeed indestructable and our universe was infinite as some theorise, then they would be ever lasting. It is not confirmed how long the universe will last but we can determine the life of the sun from observing evidence of other stars. And since we also know that a diamond is not indestructible but cannot survive temperatures above ~8500°C which will be surpassed as the dying sun wxpands to obliterate the earth

So in the context of diamonds the implication is that they will last forever, and in light of our understanding of the life cycle of the earth we can take that idea to be incorrect.

Your comment that neither life nor love are eternal is unconfirmed and is an ecumenical matter.

And only ten year old girls say forever meaning a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Blast Processing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Coors with all their Rocky mountain guff and at the bottom of the screen 'brewed in the UK'

There are some rocks near Slough!

You're just repeating your previous ignorant comment. It doesn't make it any less wrong.

• Advertisement

"Your claiming now" I don't see a claim in the post you quote
    It's yourself that was divining the marketeers intention.
    Is the love a metaphor for the diamond or is the diamond a metaphor for love? Where's your evidence?

Well the circular argument about "forever" is going on for, well, forever!

"Lifetime Guarantee", often seen on products, then they say that the product has a design life of 3 years!
    Usually on something that could be made to last at least 6 - 10 years with a minor change that costs virtually nothing extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Fox News - fair and balanced"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Probably the most used word in advertising, the ultimate irony:

FREE!

Back when having hazard lights on a car were a new thing (early 1980s), they used to be an optional extra that probably costed about £50 or so.
    Car makers used to fit the switch to all the cars leaving the factory, but if you bought the car but didn't pay the extra for the switch, the dealer just pushed the switch down into the dashboard and fitted a blanking plate!

The practice of charging extra to leave the switch on the dash was soon abandoned when buyers got wise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

CUCINA wrote: »
    Probably the most used word in advertising, the ultimate irony:

FREE!

I agree. On occasions when I have seen e.g. "10 toffees plus 2 free" I have told the shopkeeper that I just want the two free ones. I wonder what would happen if I took the free portion without asking. Would his honour convict or would I get off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

"[Brand/Model] SMARTPHONE now available, covered in [Very Special Material] with all the bells and whistles you wouldn't think of. The price is just a snip!
    From being just another boring fella/chungwan, just using [Brand/Model] smartphone will turn you into a Wonderful Content Creator in all sorts of media .....in no length at all"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭RoboRat

All the forms of greenwashing that exist.

Advertisement