Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cody should shut the **** up. He lost, spectacularly. He's getting his rematch that he probably doesn't deserve. Just be quiet for once.

Bit harsh to say he lost spectacularly. TJ was saved by the bell in the first round in fairness.

I dont blame the ufc for booking the rematch so quick with Dom Cruz injured and Riviera booked up.

Really looking forward to the rematch, again it could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'm putting money on Cody catching TJ early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ricero wrote: »
    Bit harsh to say he lost spectacularly. TJ was saved by the bell in the first round in fairness.

I dont blame the ufc for booking the rematch so quick with Dom Cruz injured and Riviera booked up.

Really looking forward to the rematch, again it could go either way.

He absolutely sparked him and Garbrandt didn't know what had happened or where he was, how was it not spectacular? What happened in the first round has no relevance to whether the eventual finish was spectacular or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'm putting money on Cody catching TJ early on.

quite happy to take tj again myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gonna go for Full Camp™ Cody myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

He absolutely sparked him and Garbrandt didn't know what had happened or where he was, how was it not spectacular? What happened in the first round has no relevance to whether the eventual finish was spectacular or not.

I'd even argue that the first round made the eventual finish even more spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

im considering doing a mma class. have done 2 bjj classes and love it but thinking of adding a mma class. so it would be 2 bjj classes and an mma class each week.

whats a typical mma class like?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Varies considerably from gym to gym. In terms of both their "style" of teaching, as well as the current stage of the syllabus.

I've been in classes that were based on cage work specific to MMA.
    Others were grappling based, focusing on the differences between nogi and mma. (eg turtle is a relatively good position to get to in BJJ, it's terrible in mma).

Then there's MMA that has some sort of situational sparring - rolling with like strikes sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    im considering doing a mma class. have done 2 bjj classes and love it but thinking of adding a mma class. so it would be 2 bjj classes and an mma class each week.

It really depends. Beginners classes will focus on BJJ and really fundamental striking. It will also be drills focused on increasing your fitness, prob be split up into 20 minutes warm up, stretches. 10-15 mins watching technique and than another 20 mins doing it with a partner and swapping positions. After a few classes you'll prob do some light rolling at the end.

After a while the classes will become more regimented, with dedicated Muay Thai, BJJ, wrestling etc all on their own nights. Sparring class would be separate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How many months or years would it take doing bjj to be effective at neutralsing the average Joe if you were attacked on the street?

• Advertisement

How many months or years would it take doing bjj to be effective at neutralsing the average Joe if you were attacked on the street?

Cheers. I'll be coming looking for you in 3.7 ha

Cheers. I'll be coming looking for you in 3.7 ha

Turns out the "Hey trained martial artists, how do you restrain your primal urges to rip people apart on the street" poster wasn't as ridiculous as we all thought.

A few hundred hours of training.
    I know that's a vague timespan, but some people get better quicker than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Fight Night weigh ins happening at the moment. Magomed Bibulatov deemed unfit to compete so his fight with Ulka Sasaki is called off. Aspen Ladd missed weight at 137.8 pounds. Only Kevin Lee left to weigh in, everyone else made weight.

Kevin Lee makes 157. He had 3 minutes left to make the scale, took a very long time to come out and needed the towel. The fight Saturday will be catchweight. Surely he has to move up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

cliggg wrote: »
    Kevin Lee makes 157. He had 3 minutes left to make the scale, took a very long time to come out and needed the towel. The fight Saturday will be catchweight. Surely he has to move up now?
    why would he have to move up? this is the first time he has fully missed weight.

why would he have to move up? this is the first time he has fully missed weight.
    True but he has just barely made the weight the last few times, I know he had staph the last time but he looked like he was gonna pass out on the scale then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

why would he have to move up? this is the first time he has fully missed weight.
    True but he has just barely made the weight the last few times, I know he had staph the last time but he looked like he was gonna pass out on the scale then.
    Aye a lot of fighters get by barely making weight though; DC, Conor at FW etc. Khabib missed/failed to make weight twice but now he's 155 champ. Maybe Lee just needs to drop a bit of muscle or make some adjustments in the lead-up. Would only start worrying if he misses weight again next fight.

Aye a lot of fighters get by barely making weight though; DC, Conor at FW etc. Khabib missed/failed to make weight twice but now he's 155 champ. Maybe Lee just needs to drop a bit of muscle or make some adjustments in the lead-up. Would only start worrying if he misses weight again next fight.
    Conor and DC looked like death warmed over on the scales at times and both moved up in weight, and Khabib nearly had liver failure trying to make 155. I guess my point is I hope he moves up for his own sake. It must take some toll on the body to try to lose such a large amount of weight in such a short amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fight Night weigh ins happening at the moment. Magomed Bibulatov deemed unfit to compete so his fight with Ulka Sasaki is called off. Aspen Ladd missed weight at 137.8 pounds. Only Kevin Lee left to weigh in, everyone else made weight.

That's twice in five BW fights she has missed weight. She's young and hate the idea of her killing herself to make 135lbs. Good enough fighter for 145lbs.

Conor and DC looked like death warmed over on the scales at times and both moved up in weight, and Khabib nearly had liver failure trying to make 155. I guess my point is I hope he moves up for his own sake. It must take some toll on the body to try to lose such a large amount of weight in such a short amount of time.

Khabib has looked absolutely grand the last couple of times though.

Khabib has looked absolutely grand the last couple of times though.
    He has thankfully but the fact that he has been talking about welterweight since he won the belt (and before he won it too) says to me that the cuts are too much for him. He does weigh around 200 pounds normally.

He has thankfully but the fact that he has been talking about welterweight since he won the belt (and before he won it too) says to me that the cuts are too much for him. He does weigh around 200 pounds normally.

Has he really talked about moving up? Didn't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He's talked about going down to 145 too... On both fronts I'll believe it if/when I see it.

If they change ww to 165 and introduce a 175 diversion I'd say he'd go there otherwise he'll stay at 155 as long as he can make the weight.

From 2016 https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bloodyelbow.com/platform/amp/2016/2/8/10937472/ufc-khabib-nurmagomedov-talks-about-the-difficulties-of-making-weight-without-iv-mma
    And he challenged GSP after he won the belt which would be at 170. And I can't find the link but he also said he would defend the belt once then move up, something to do with his legacy multiple titles etc...

Lee missed by one on, that's nothing. More likely to be a case of trying todo just enough (and falling short) rather than unable to lose more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

two fights off now, the one above and sasaki out of his fight with a back injury

why would a fighter opt to pull out of a fight if their opponent weighed in 1.8 pounds over?
    would it not make more sense financially at the very least?

this is what I was thinking until I read more, can't really blame her given it would have been her last fight

However, Smith said she signed a contract with the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board (NJSACB) stating she would get her show purse of $31,000 whether or not she took the fight since she fulfilled her obligations.

If she was getting paid either way, Smith said it wouldn’t make much business sense to take the fight.

“I considered fighting Aspen anyway, purely out of pride,” Smith told MMA Fighting. “And another chance to showcase my skills in the Octagon. But if I had done that, it would have been purely pride. And I would have been fighting for free since I was already getting paid the money. Fighting for free out of pride is everything that I have been speaking out against. It’s not everything — there’s more to it. The manipulation of the fighters through pride was something that I felt pretty strongly about. So I’m not fighting her, because I don’t feel like I should fight for free.”

There’s another wrinkle to Smith’s rollercoaster Friday, too. This would have been the last fight on her UFC contract. Knowing that, Smith said she told the UFC she would take the fight with Ladd if the promotion extended her deal.

“I figured I had some leverage in the situation,” Smith said. “I told the UFC that I would be willing to take the fight as long as they extended my contract. They did not want to extend my contract. Instead, they said they would pay me my win bonus in addition to my show money and that would fulfill the fight on my contract and they would not be extending it.”

Smith, 35, she’ll walk away from New Jersey this weekend with the UFC having given her the show purse and win bonus — a total of $62,000 — and her walking papers. She said the UFC considers her contract to now be over and the promotion will not be bringing her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Holloway vs Ortega set for ufc 226 in july.

Also Ngannou vs Black beast also set for ufc 226. Shaping up to be a great card.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Holloway vs Ortega set for ufc 226 in july.

Also Ngannou vs Black beast also set for ufc 226. Shaping up to be a great card.

Yes! This is really why I love MMA so much. The fights you want to see are made, no bull.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement