Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Don't get the Rockhold at 205 idea at all. Last three losses for him have been to Romero, Bisping and Belfort with only Romero looking to continue his career without a big payday retirement. How much does he really cut to make 185? Throw him in against Gustafson on a Fight Night Main Event, who's lying and says they won't tune in?

He cuts a good bit. He has to diet year round to be able to make the weight. He might think the cut is affecting his ability to take shots. I think he sees 205 as a weak division outside the top 3 (Which it is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rockhold is a massive MW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Yancy Medeiros v Mike Perry at 226. Didn't see that one coming, should be an entertaining fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

cliggg wrote: »
    Yancy Medeiros v Mike Perry at 226. Didn't see that one coming, should be an entertaining fight.

Hope medeiros smashes him. Should be an entertaining fight anyways if nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I actually fancy Perry to knockout Yancy

• Advertisement

Yancy is game, he always brings it. Gonna be close I think

I thought Perry v Emil Meek was gonna be announced as they were back and forth on twitter but I suppose if Perry fought everyone he "fights" with on twitter he'd fight 10 times a year! It's at least 1 guaranteed violence fight on the card so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

looking at the 225 card and it looks to be stacking up well. i hope that rda shuts colby covington up that guy does my head in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    looking at the 225 card and it looks to be stacking up well. i hope that rda shuts colby covington up that guy does my head in
    Yeah that's a fight I'm looking forward to most in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Yeah that's a fight I'm looking forward to most in the next few months.

its definitely an interesting match. i would imagine colby is delighted it is not in Brazil anymore. i dont care what he says he must of been concerned going back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Perhaps not the wisest for Perry to be fighting again so soon, he's taken a lot of smacks lately. Seems unnecessary.

Perhaps not the wisest for Perry to be fighting again so soon, he's taken a lot of smacks lately. Seems unnecessary.
    True but unfortunately the same thing can be said about Yancy. They both fought in December and took a lot of damage, then they both fought in February and took a lot more damage so why not put them together 5 months later to damage each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

True but unfortunately the same thing can be said about Yancy. They both fought in December and took a lot of damage, then they both fought in February and took a lot more damage so why not put them together 5 months later to damage each other!

Edgar and barboza having a fairly Quick turnaround too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Edgar and barboza having a fairly Quick turnaround too?

Edgar definitely in way too fast. Barboza was dominated but not KOed so he's probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Edgar definitely in way too fast. Barboza was dominated but not KOed so he's probably fine.

Taking close to 80 significant strikes to the head can't be perfectly fine though.

Taking close to 80 significant strikes to the head can't be perfectly fine though.

Depends. I'd much prefer to take 50 of Khabib's shots (counted as significant strikes but certainly not concussive blows) than one like the shot Ortega landed on Edgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I would've thought Perry might have looked to tighten up his game. Maybe too much to expect him to be anything more than a brawler, he's more than good at it to be fair but it's a style that the elites can make accommodations for and exploit, not unlike Gaethje perhaps.

Seemed to have a bit of momentum going for a bit, thought the UFC would've sought to capitalise - seems that was the plan in Florida but of course went amiss. Perhaps they know people will tune in to watch him get smashed too. Cowboy will be game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Depends. I'd much prefer to take 50 of Khabib's shots (counted as significant strikes but certainly not concussive blows) than one like the shot Ortega landed on Edgar.

I’d take Ortega’s shot any day of the week over a Khabib beatdown. Repeated blows to the head is what leads to cumulative damage and possibly CTE in the long term. One lethal blow like Ortega’s will have your head all over the shop but at the least the beating was stopped quickly after that.

Khabibs shots look more cutting. He doesn’t get much distance on his ground strikes because he’s usually using one handed short punches while he controls your other wrist. As a result not much snap back on your head. I’d probably take that than getting my brain reset. Barboza didn’t seem concussed at all after their fight

Is not taking a knockout punch from Ortega & not taking 50 headshots from Khabib an option too? If so I choose that one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Lukker- wrote: »
    Khabibs shots look more cutting. He doesn’t get much distance on his ground strikes because he’s usually using one handed short punches while he controls your other wrist. As a result not much snap back on your head. I’d probably take that than getting my brain reset. Barboza didn’t seem concussed at all after their fight
    It's more the accumulated damage of being punched in the face for 15+ minutes while your soul is slowly sucked out of you versus one clean crack and it's over.

I'll take the one and done please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It's more the accumulated damage of being punched in the face for 15+ minutes while your soul is slowly sucked out of you versus one clean crack and it's over.

I'll take the one and done please

I'd prefer not to be concussed anyway. Maybe as a once off ya, but as a pro fighter I'd prefer to take weak shots than get KOd with one big one. Concussion is very serious, your brain literally gets rattled so hard your whole body shuts down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'd prefer not to be concussed anyway. Maybe as a once off ya, but as a pro fighter I'd prefer to take weak shots than get KOd with one big one. Concussion is very serious, your brain literally gets rattled so hard your whole body shuts down.
    That it does, but eating 50 soft shots will add up as well to most likely more damage than that one clean punch.

I would've thought Perry might have looked to tighten up his game. Maybe too much to expect him to be anything more than a brawler, he's more than good at it to be fair but it's a style that the elites can make accommodations for and exploit, not unlike Gaethje perhaps.

Seemed to have a bit of momentum going for a bit, thought the UFC would've sought to capitalise - seems that was the plan in Florida but of course went amiss. Perhaps they know people will tune in to watch him get smashed too. Cowboy will be game.
    I would hope so for his own sake, he fights similar to Chuck Lidell, with his "knockout" fist half raised all the time looking for the chance to throw it. An argument could be made that he was moved up the rankings too fast like many others but I think he has a good chance of a win in this one. He broke up with his girlfriend/trainer so maybe that will help him?

Perry got way too much attention. He was hardly that spectacular looking and was given a loft by the elbow on the ghost of Jake Ellenberger. He's nowhere near the upper end of the division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ricero wrote: »

Cody should shut the **** up. He lost, spectacularly. He's getting his rematch that he probably doesn't deserve. Just be quiet for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

he's genuinely a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Perry got way too much attention. He was hardly that spectacular looking and was given a loft by the elbow on the ghost of Jake Ellenberger. He's nowhere near the upper end of the division.

Perry put in some good performances and is an interesting character, I can see why the UFC wanted to push him but he needed more time before being put in with the likes of Jouban and Ponzinibbio. That being said he's always going to be top 15 at best unless he makes a miraculous improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

ricero wrote: »

Big cycling fan here as well as MMA. EPO and steroids would be greatly beneficial for MMA performances but two very different substances in terms of effects, price and difficulty to acquire.

Think it's just more media bull-manure since where these two not spotted enjoying a hug after they thought the cameras were off after some interview?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement