Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Mentioned cutting about 40lbs for one of the DC fights, which probably isn't that off considering how much he used to cut for the lower weight classes. Even only cutting 25-30lbs he's a natural HW, and a decent few of the current ones are well below the limit. Stipe is only around the 230 mark.

He'd fit in at HW without looking undersized really, that was the point I was doing a bad job of making.

Francis is definitely one of the bigger lads, the height helps as well. I still think Rumble would hit as hard, or very nearly at least.

Its about body type though,
    For example DC weighed in at 236 and Stipe 230 for there fight ,but DC makes LHW I don't think Stipe could ,

Rumbles is pumped up with muscle to make 230, Dc is pumped up with fat to make 236 , Stipe is just naturally 230 hes lean and there isn't much fat or muscle he could loss ,

Any way I agree Rumble hits very hard I just think Francis hits harder and probably more importantly being bigger man naturally may be able to take a bigger shot than Rumble can ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Do we think Cejudo has retired for real? Was listening to Schuab saying how Dana won't care because he isn't a huge draw and neither is the BW division.

It may not have been a bad move by Cejudo the BW division is arguably the most interesting and exciting division atm and there is some huge fights to be made.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Do we think Cejudo has retired for real? Was listening to Schuab saying how Dana won't care because he isn't a huge draw and neither is the BW division.

It may not have been a bad move by Cejudo the BW division is arguably the most interesting and exciting division atm and there is some huge fights to be made.

Wasn't he complaining only recently about not getting a pay rise ?
    I don't get where he goes from there if he does quit , I think its part of the drama with him and Dana ,
    Sure he was calling out Conor not to long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

One thing that always sticks out in my mind about Anthony Johnson. Before he left the UFC first time around, his last win was his head-kick v Charlie Brenneman.

In Johnson's first fight back, he beat Phil Davis at Light Heavy while, on the same card, Brenneman fought Danny Castillo...... at Lightweight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Rumble kept trying to kill himself to make WW, headcase.

He's much bigger now though since he retired :pac: he would struggle to make LHW I'd say, he said he's coming back so we might get him v Francis at some stage.

• Advertisement

Wasn't he complaining only recently about not getting a pay rise ?
    I don't get where he goes from there if he does quit , I think its part of the drama with him and Dana ,
    Sure he was calling out Conor not to long ago

Yes no doubt it's just a ploy for more money but it's not a bad move when next in line is Yan and Sterling who are much less of a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Yes no doubt it's just a ploy for more money but it's not a bad move when next in line is Yan and Sterling who are much less of a draw.

Probably wants a big payday against a returning Dillashaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

He'll never get the kind of money he thinks he deserves so I doubt we'll see him again or rather Dana won't give him that big payday he wants as he's not a bit enough draw

not sure the casual fan will be overly keen on cejudo v anyone
    would love to have seen the match up with Aldo

I guess cejudo could not have done anymore to promote himself and the division but those divisions may never be a big draw with the fighters
    there right now

I don't know why but I never got overly excited about a cejudo fight like i did about other match ups like tj v cody cody v dom dom v tj but I guess there
    was a lot of bad blood there too

mailburner wrote: »
    He'll never get the kind of money he thinks he deserves so I doubt we'll see him again or rather Dana won't give him that big payday he wants as he's not a bit enough draw

not sure the casual fan will be overly keen on cejudo v anyone
    would love to have seen the match up with Aldo

I guess cejudo could not have done anymore to promote himself and the division but those divisions may never be a big draw with the fighters
    there right now

I don't know why but I never got overly excited about a cejudo fight like i did about other match ups like tj v cody cody v dom dom v tj but I guess there
    was a lot of bad blood there too

True but it's now or never to go looking for the pay day. Some huge fights there for him would love to see him against Aldo aswell. There's the tj rematch, cody and that's even before the top 5 in the division and upcomers like o'malley.

True but it's now or never to go looking for the pay day. Some huge fights there for him would love to see him against Aldo aswell. There's the tj rematch, cody and that's even before the top 5 in the division and upcomers like o'malley.

The tj fight at bantam the only money fight for him maybe a year from now, no doubt they put tj to the top of the queue should it happen

not sure Cody will ever compete for a belt again sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

The tj fight at bantam the only money fight for him maybe a year from now, no doubt they put tj to the top of the queue should it happen

not sure Cody will ever compete for a belt again sadly

Wouldn't agree with that last bit. Yes he's lost 3 in a row. But he's only 28. Was knocking people out for fun before that. Beat Cruz. I think if he put 3 good wins together in a shallow division he could get a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Looks like he did fight at HW at least once back in 2013.
    He cut around 40lbs to make LHW, so he would be around the norm for some of the current HW's. Obviously now he'd probably have to cut down to 265, given how huge he was last time I seen a picture of him.
    He fought at HW in 2013, not the UFC. Was in WSOF vrs Arlovski. But he was 230 then, prob at his biggest (when fighting).
    He wasn’t cutting 40 ins to LHW. I’d say he was 225/230 like the rest of the big LHWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mentioned cutting about 40lbs for one of the DC fights, which probably isn't that off considering how much he used to cut for the lower weight classes. Even only cutting 25-30lbs he's a natural HW, and a decent few of the current ones are well below the limit. Stipe is only around the 230 mark..
    He claimed he used to cut 40lbs “sometimes” for WW. This was years later, so I think it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

That fight was DC’s towel gate. There was a big deal about DC being 235 in the octagon, doubt Rumble was 10lbs heavier.

Here he is 250 talking about a move to HW. (He kept growing to 285 after this)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/916397594879733762/photo/1

Wouldn't agree with that last bit. Yes he's lost 3 in a row. But he's only 28. Was knocking people out for fun before that. Beat Cruz. I think if he put 3 good wins together in a shallow division he could get a shot.

possibly not the same fighter since the tj defeats, thought Cody would have taken care of munhoz.
    He'll need to return better than ever.

He really has to beat Assuncao next

possibly not the same fighter since the tj defeats, thought Cody would have taken care of munhoz.

Honestly don't think Cody has lost anything since the Cruz fight when he looked great. It seems to be when he gets clipped once all composure and gameplan goes out the window and he goes into self destruct mode.

Honestly don't think Cody has lost anything since the Cruz fight when he looked great. It seems to be when he gets clipped once all composure and gameplan goes out the window and he goes into self destruct mode.

I'd say his style in the gym has cost him , his chin is gone
    Reminds me of Chuck at the end he does great and you think oh hes back then once he gets hit its over ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Yeah it's possible, I think he needs to change a big aspect of his game. but if he goes out and wins his next fight he could tear up the division. Not a fan of him but he has some crazy power in his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think Cody has such an exciting style and has potential star power (despite being two cents short of a tuppence) that he is only a couple of wins away form being thrown back into the mix.

The UFC are showing that they are interested in fights that sell and not necessarily who "deserves" what.

I live watching Cody fight. He's a wild man!

I think he needs to change a big aspect of his game. but if he goes out and wins his next fight he could tear up the division..

This will make or break him, hoping he comes back with a different more patient gameplan.

He finished almost everyone up till tj but clearly this isn't going
    to be the way forward for him, too many dangerous guys in the division.

I said at the time that had it been anyone other than tj I thought he'd have probably won
    I think a lot of that was mental so I didn't expect to see him lose
    to munhoz

In the past 2/3 years the division is suddenly full of killers
    I'd be amazed if one fighter managed to defend that belt numerous times although right now I think Yan looks nailed on to be champ.

• Advertisement

Yan will defend the belt for a while when he gets it imo.

Woodley v Gilbert Burns finally sorted for May 30th. No venue yet. Hope Druinho smokes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

ASOT wrote: »
    Woodley v Gilbert Burns finally sorted for May 30th. No venue yet. Hope Druinho smokes him.

On a good run and certainly has the grappling credentials.

Will be interesting to see how Woodley looks after the Usman defeat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

On a good run and certainly has the grappling credentials.

Will be interesting to see how Woodley looks after the Usman defeat too.

Woodley loses and retires I think. Pity we never got him against colby last year, would have been a huge fight

US2 wrote: »
    Woodley loses and retires I think. Pity we never got him against colby last year, would have been a huge fight

we'll never get to see colby gloat about that win thankfully

I think he might smoke him myself

I think he might smoke him myself

I agree Woodley by ko

Gonna go with Burns by arm bar myself.

Havnt seen it mentioned but joe Rogan signed a deal with Spotify for $100m for the rights to JRE.

Some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I think Woodley won't get submitted. Too strong, balck belt bjj, great wrestling, short and stocky will add to the difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gonna go with Burns by arm bar myself.

Havnt seen it mentioned but joe Rogan signed a deal with Spotify for $100m for the rights to JRE.

Some cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement