Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Coming from Dillon Danis lol, is that cnut still living in McGregor's septic tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jon Jones wants big Fran at heavyweight next

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I wouldn't mind seeing that one even though I think Jones will shut francis down like he did with someone like tex

I think it would take someone like stipe or reyes to beat jones

I always regret never seeing rumble v jones and hope maybe at some stage to see rumble v ngannou

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That'll be an incredibly boring fight, no way Jones will want to stand in case he gets decapitated.
    He'll take big Fran to the ground and wrestle**** him to a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He survived Stipe for 5 rounds, and how he is lighter with a much better gas tank and a lot of takedown defence.

I think Jones would get his head taken off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

JJayoo wrote: »
    He survived Stipe for 5 rounds, and how he is lighter with a much better gas tank and a lot of takedown defence.

I think Jones would get his head taken off

What makes you say this? Since the Stipe fight he's had the Lewis non-event, and four absolute murders that didn't tell us anything about him that we didn't already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

derfderf wrote: »
    What makes you say this? Since the Stipe fight he's had the Lewis non-event, and four absolute murders that didn't tell us anything about him that we didn't already know.

He's technically brutal. Has no tank. Would be very interested to see how he'd do against Jones though. Probably one of the only potentially exciting Jones match ups tbf

Still Ill wrote: »
    He's technically brutal. Has no tank. Would be very interested to see how he'd do against Jones though. Probably one of the only potentially exciting Jones match ups tbf

Oh i agree, I'd love to see Jon move up. And Francis is on a roll. I'm just not seeing anything different from before he ran in to Stipe. Mostly because the fights haven't lasted long enough.

He does look trimmer, and maybe his tank has improved, but i doubt it's improved that much from the Stipe fight. He was gone after one round then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Oh i agree, I'd love to see Jon move up. And Francis is on a roll. I'm just not seeing anything different from before he ran in to Stipe. Mostly because the fights haven't lasted long enough.

He does look trimmer, and maybe his tank has improved, but i doubt it's improved that much from the Stipe fight. He was gone after one round then.

The Stipe was fight was over 2 years ago id say he has improved no question,

I also think in that fight he wasn't mentally ready, He didn't know what to do and panicked once he didn't get Stipe out of there,
    You could see it in the next fight with the Black beast he wasn't mentally ready for the big stage,

Also Jon last few fights he is no longer looks like he did in the past don't get me wrong he is still world class but the gap is narrowing ,
    I reckon hes got touched more in the last 3 fights than the rest of his previous fights together,
    Again its not a knock on Jon but he was so far ahead of the rest it was impossible to see him losing but now I fell he is coming into sight of the chasing group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Again its not a knock on Jon but he was so far ahead of the rest it was impossible to see him losing but now I fell he is coming into sight of the chasing group

That’s because drug testing has come on in leaps and bounds.

I also think in that fight he wasn't mentally ready, He didn't know what to do and panicked once he didn't get Stipe out of there,
    You could see it in the next fight with the Black beast he wasn't mentally ready for the big stage,

Also Jon last few fights he is no longer looks like he did in the past don't get me wrong he is still world class but the gap is narrowing ,
    I reckon hes got touched more in the last 3 fights than the rest of his previous fights together,

Honestly, with Jon it looks like boredom and complacency. Maybe he'll pay for it, maybe he won't. It reminds of GSP not trying to finish late in his career. Taking them down and grinding them down was all that was needed.

A move to HW might help shake it off. Or maybe it is USADA making him look normal. I honestly don't think the the likes of Reyes, Santos, and Smith, are near the quality of some of the fighters he's beaten. Jon's still quite young, and hasn't taken that much damage in his career.

Honestly, with Jon it looks like boredom and complacency. Maybe he'll pay for it, maybe he won't. It reminds of GSP not trying to finish late in his career. Taking them down and grinding them down was all that was needed.

A move to HW might help shake it off. Or maybe it is USADA making him look normal. I honestly don't think the the likes of Reyes, Santos, and Smith, are near the quality of some of the fighters he's beaten. Jon's still quite young, and hasn't taken that much damage in his career.

I think they are as good or better,

In the past you had him fight ex UFC champs and there was ex pride champs and legends

Now as Jon has been champ for so long there is no Ex champions to fight ,there is no other organisation with the recognition of Pride to come over from , So guys don't have the hype of the past but they are no doubt as good or better as fighters ,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Now as Jon has been champ for so long there is no Ex champions to fight ,there is no other organisation with the recognition of Pride to come over from , So guys don't have the hype of the past but they are no doubt as good or better as fighters ,

The only former champ left is Shogon. And I don't think he has much left in him tbh.

I don't believe he thought he could lose to anyone by the time he got to Stipe and if there's a rematch I believe Stipe may well do the same to him.
    He still may only need to connect once with stipe who probably won't want that fight again.
    He'd lost all belief by the time he got to lewis which must be the worst hw fight in history.
    I wonder if he's improved at all?
    The problem is outside of stipe and dc the divsion is weak as p1ss and harris and volkov are the only once in the top ten he hasn't fought (9+10)

I don't know if he has improved, beating guys like rosen, jds, velasq was past it as was jds, rosen is simply average and blayes got caught again though right now is probably the best fighter he's beaten in recent years.

I'd like to see someone else take francis at least into the 3rd round to know if he can actually perform well later on

It might sound crazy and it probably will never happen but I would love to see ben rothwell take him on simply because he is as tough as they come and might be tough enough to get the past the first and hasn't been ko'd since 2009.

mailburner wrote: »
    I don't believe he thought he could lose to anyone by the time he got to Stipe and if there's a rematch I believe Stipe may well do the same to him.
    He still may only need to connect once with stipe who probably won't want that fight again.
    He'd lost all belief by the time he got to lewis which must be the worst hw fight in history.
    I wonder if he's improved at all?
    The problem is outside of stipe and dc the divsion is weak as p1ss and harris and volkov are the only once in the top ten he hasn't fought (9+10)

I don't know if he has improved, beating guys like rosen, jds, velasq was past it as was jds, rosen is simply average and blayes got caught again though right now is probably the best fighter he's beaten in recent years.

I'd like to see someone else take francis at least into the 3rd round to know if he can actually perform well later on

It might sound crazy and it probably will never happen but I would love to see ben rothwell take him on simply because he is as tough as they come and might be tough enough to get the past the first and hasn't been ko'd since 2009.

Curtis Blaydes and Rozenstruck are both very good heavy weights ,
    its just Francis demolished them both ,
    Curtis is a very good wrestler and Francis finished him quicker the second time,
    Personally I think Francis beats Stipe next time round ,

I'd love to see Francis v DC

Curtis Blaydes and Rozenstruck are both very good heavy weights ,
    its just Francis demolished them both ,
    Curtis is a very good wrestler and Francis finished him quicker the second time,
    Personally I think Francis beats Stipe next time round ,

I'd love to see Francis v DC
    I'd have DC for that one.
    He survived Rumble's bombs, I reckon he'd manage Ngannou as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Peter Carroll got the bullet from MMA Fighting. Enjoyed his articles for the most part, will probably mean less eu stuff covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »
    Peter Carroll got the bullet from MMA Fighting. Enjoyed his articles for the most part, will probably mean less eu stuff covered.

Yeah it's a pity, he always took care of the EU side of things, hopefully he gets an offer elsewhere, get him into espn ta ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

ASOT wrote: »

Hopefully he'll be picked up by someone else. MMAFighting has gone to absolute ****e though, I wouldn't be surprised if it completely went soon enough

• Advertisement

I think they are as good or better,

In the past you had him fight ex UFC champs and there was ex pride champs and legends

I can't say i agree. Look at Smith. Killing it at light HW, and just got a horrendous beatdown by a 40 year old Glover.
    Reyes arguably lost to Oezdemir, and he was smashed by DC. And lost to Smith.
    I think they all get smashed by DC, Rumble, and a Gus that wants to fight.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'd have DC for that one.
    He survived Rumble's bombs, I reckon he'd manage Ngannou as well.

I agree

I mean when rumble connected with dc and sent him flying across the ring I wondered was it possible to hit a guy harder than that and not knock him out.
    He for me was the most exciting hw I've ever watched, never in a bad fight and as far as I can remember I've never seen him wobbled by anyone

most will probably say ngannou hits harder but not by much surely and he certainly doesn't have rumbles hand speed

how I wish rumble was still around, hopefully he'll be back this year sometime.
    He retired too soon but as long as dc was on top he was always going to be playing second fiddle...v stipe well omg just the thought of it

mailburner wrote: »
    I agree

I mean when rumble connected with dc and sent him flying across the ring I wondered was it possible to hit a guy harder than that and not knock him out.
    He for me was the most exciting hw I've ever watched, never in a bad fight and as far as I can remember I've never seen him wobbled by anyone

most will probably say ngannou hits harder but not by much surely and he certainly doesn't have rumbles hand speed

how I wish rumble was still around, hopefully he'll be back this year sometime.
    He retired too soon but as long as dc was on top he was always going to be playing second fiddle...v stipe well omg just the thought of it

I think your underselling Francis here Arloski last 3 rounds with Rumble and had been ko'd plenty of times prior ,

I think Francis hits a lot harder to be fair to Rumble Francis is a much bigger man naturally ,

I think your underselling Francis here Arloski last 3 rounds with Rumble and had been ko'd plenty of times prior ,

I think Francis hits a lot harder to be fair to Rumble Francis is a much bigger man naturally ,
    He's not that much bigger, Rumble should have always been a heavyweight with what he used to cut.
    Besides, size doesn't always mean more power. I'd say both are roughly the same power wise.

There was talk of Rumble coming back at heavyweight if he could get down to the 265 limit (and get rid of all the steroids out of him from bodybuilding), that'd be a fight to see. Be like something out of Pacific Rim or Godzilla.

He's not that much bigger, Rumble should have always been a heavyweight with what he used to cut.
    Besides, size doesn't always mean more power. I'd say both are roughly the same power wise.

There was talk of Rumble coming back at heavyweight if he could get down to the 265 limit (and get rid of all the steroids out of him from bodybuilding), that'd be a fight to see. Be like something out of Pacific Rim or Godzilla.

Rumble fought at heavy weight at 230lbs 6foot 1
    Francis weighs in around 250-255 and is 6foot 5

Francis is a much bigger man naturally,

I agree size doesn't mean always mean power but Francis is all power and his size 100% helps ,

Rumble hit hard as hell but Francis is a different level in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rumble was never HW sized when fighting MMA.
    LHW for sure, even when he was trying to be a MW, but never HW imo.

when I think of rumble ngannou I think of nunes cyborg

whether it would play out in a similiar fashion we may never know

Mellor wrote: »
    Rumble was never HW sized when fighting MMA.
    LHW for sure, even when he was trying to be a MW, but never HW imo.
    Looks like he did fight at HW at least once back in 2013.
    He cut around 40lbs to make LHW, so he would be around the norm for some of the current HW's. Obviously now he'd probably have to cut down to 265, given how huge he was last time I seen a picture of him.

Looks like he did fight at HW at least once back in 2013.
    He cut around 40lbs to make LHW, so he would be around the norm for some of the current HW's. Obviously now he'd probably have to cut down to 265, given how huge he was last time I seen a picture of him.

He weighed 230 in his heavy weight fight so cut 25lbs to light heavy which is probably what a lot of LHW do anyway ,

Francis is an absolute monster in compared to other heavy weights,

• Advertisement

He weighed 230 in his heavy weight fight so cut 25lbs to light heavy which is probably what a lot of LHW do anyway ,

Francis is an absolute monster in compared to other heavy weights,
    Mentioned cutting about 40lbs for one of the DC fights, which probably isn't that off considering how much he used to cut for the lower weight classes. Even only cutting 25-30lbs he's a natural HW, and a decent few of the current ones are well below the limit. Stipe is only around the 230 mark.

He'd fit in at HW without looking undersized really, that was the point I was doing a bad job of making.

Francis is definitely one of the bigger lads, the height helps as well. I still think Rumble would hit as hard, or very nearly at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement