Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

theteal wrote: »
    Just dumb. I remember just after his first UFC fight, I think he was on the phone on the MMA hour while he was apparently standing outside the courthouse where he was waiting to hear the outcome of his burglary trial. Nice bloke.

Mike Perry is da man !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Autecher wrote: »
    The rumour now is that UFC refused to give Brock a high flat fee for the fight because the ppv's are online only now which would likely lower the money he gets from ppv points. They wouldn't give in so he walked away.
    It could affect their buy rate. That remains to be seen.
    But wouldn't be hard to counter that by adjusting his rate per buy.
    Especially igf they are now getting a bigger slice of the total

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The UFC have just signed Iranian Amir Aliakbari, has a lovely roid filled past and was banned for life from wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So ****ing fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's just like watching MVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Whelo79 wrote: »

It's just like watching MVP.

I remember watching Raymond Daniels at the Irish open probably 15 years ago or more, fighting points kickboxing. His speed and timing was ridiculous, just landing with techniques no one else would be able to land on a punch bag, let alone a moving opponent.

Amazing to see he's taken that style into full contact kickboxing and now making a cameo in mma at this point in his career. I'd imagine his ground game is still nonexistent, but Jesus, he's still spectacular to see in full flight in his late 30's.

Spectacular skills to pull off those movements fluidly.
    But he's handed a human punchbag for the sake of showing those skills. I'd like to see the version of his fighting against an equally skilled opponent.
    MVP all over again.

Mellor wrote: »
    Spectacular skills to pull off those movements fluidly.
    But he's handed a human punchbag for the sake of showing those skills. I'd like to see the version of his fighting against an equally skilled opponent.
    MVP all over again.

Ah he was lay on for 15 minutes by a no-name opponent (who had some wrestling) when he gave mma a bash first time round in his athletic prime ten years ago.

Its definitely not the most effective pure fighting style for mma, but its bloody great to watch when it comes off!

Can't believe he's 39?

• Advertisement

Cormier v Stipe 2 confirmed. UFC 241

Fall_Guy wrote:
    Ah he was lay on for 15 minutes by a no-name opponent (who had some wrestling) when he gave mma a bash first time round in his athletic prime ten years ago.
    I meant the bloke above in Belator. Just there to be styled on. You'd think even a decent amateur would have googled him and developed a takedown gameplan

I meant the bloke above in Belator. Just there to be styled on. You'd think even a decent amateur would have googled him and developed a takedown gameplan

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

A poor opponent in fairness and alot of the flashy spinning **** mightn't work on a higher level but take nothing away from Ray, the speed in which he closes distance and gets safe again is ridiculous. Those side kicks looked vicious too

Fall_Guy wrote:

Yeah I agree regarding the above opponent, it was really just two kickboxers fighting mma rules. But I've no problem with match ups like that being made in the case of someone like Daniels, at his age he's hardly being groomed as a potential title challenger. Would rather favourable style match ups that allow him showcase his skills than see him be grounded for 15 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I just happened to see the TV listing for that card while flicking channels last night, I caught it just Daniels walk to the cage was starting, even that was impressive.

Also the Carvalho guy from SBG put in a quality performance.

There was a familiar Irish bloke (probably former RTE) hosting the TV coverage with Paul Daley, cannot think of his name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »
    Cormier v Stipe 2 confirmed. UFC 241

Shamelessly stolen from FB :pac:

479563.jpg

Rumbles been arrested for domestic violence.

Ben Askern was ragdolled in that wrestling match it seems?

Ben Askern was ragdolled in that wrestling match it seems?

Yeah battered, I don't think anyone was expecting him to win though Burroughs is leagues ahead of him in pure wrestling.

Here it is here if you want to watch it.

Nobody thought Askren had a chance.

10 years ago when he was solely practicing wrestling and on the Olympic team he'd have had a better chance to be competitive and make a match of it, but this was a 35 year old who hasn't had a freestyle match in years in competition with one of the best active wrestlers on earth. There's nobody in MMA in this weightclass that Boroughs wouldn't beat on his worst day in a freestyle wrestling match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Was just coming on to ask if anybody has video. Cheers lads

Romero v Costa verbally agreed for 241 as per Helwani.

I don't think Askren had a chance 10 years ago either. His style worked well in folkstyle, but he never hit the same highs in freestyle.
    Burroughs on the other hand, excelled in both and is one of the best American freestyle wrestlers of all time.

Romero v Costa verbally agreed for 241 as per Helwani.

Yoel stirring the pot already

https://twitter.com/YoelRomeroMMA/status/1125866898988646400?s=19

UFC 236 done less than 100k buys, changing to ESPN+ could end up being an absolute disaster.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/5/7/18535598/ufc-236-ppv-numbers-report-low-buyrate-sub-100k-espn-ordering-problems-mma-news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

UFC 236 done less than 100k buys, changing to ESPN+ could end up being an absolute disaster.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/5/7/18535598/ufc-236-ppv-numbers-report-low-buyrate-sub-100k-espn-ordering-problems-mma-news
    According to this they are now making more money consistently instead of relying on ppv money to come in.

"The organization signed a pair of deals with ESPN that changed the UFC’s entire business model. Instead of being the pay-per-view-reliant organization that it’s been for its entire existence, the UFC can now count on hundreds of millions per year in guaranteed money from its television partner, including a lucrative licensing fee to exclusively broadcast the promotion’s pay-per-view cards to homes around the U.S. This essentially means that the UFC can already begin counting PPV revenue before selling a single one. Which essentially means that superstars like Lesnar do not have the same leverage they once held."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/5/7/18529919/with-brock-lesnars-retirement-aftershocks-from-ufc-espn-deal-begin-to-rattle

They basically went from a ppv system that one off boxing events are built on to the same sort of deal the NFL or Premier league has where they get a massive amount of money per year instead of relying on PPV sales.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They basically went from a ppv system that one off boxing events are built on to the same sort of deal the NFL or Premier league has where they get a massive amount of money per year instead of relying on PPV sales.

If people don't buy the PPVs from ESPN then they won't get the same deal come contract renewal time so it's still in their long term interest for PPVs to sell well.

Autecher wrote: »
    According to this they are now making more money consistently instead of relying on ppv money to come in.

"The organization signed a pair of deals with ESPN that changed the UFC’s entire business model. Instead of being the pay-per-view-reliant organization that it’s been for its entire existence, the UFC can now count on hundreds of millions per year in guaranteed money from its television partner, including a lucrative licensing fee to exclusively broadcast the promotion’s pay-per-view cards to homes around the U.S. This essentially means that the UFC can already begin counting PPV revenue before selling a single one. Which essentially means that superstars like Lesnar do not have the same leverage they once held."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/5/7/18529919/with-brock-lesnars-retirement-aftershocks-from-ufc-espn-deal-begin-to-rattle

Ah I had assumed it was just that they were getting most of the ppv money with the new deal, game changer for them so with the guaranteed money.

• Advertisement

The whole PPV system should be scrapped for a subscription service. Can't understand how anyone could pay 60bucks for a PPV with all the streams available

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement