Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I fecking hate Bank holidays. Spent all 3 days in roasting hot kitchen slaving away. Finally a day off. Only managed to play once after work for a bit during all weekend.

So I hit Hr and went hunting. So far most of the monsters I kill easily. Apart from Belzesome****er. Blast damage he does can be a joke. One second you full hp, next second you carted. Still killed the bastard in expedition, but was carted a good few times.
    My next quest will be first 7 star story one. Thing is I am bombarded with optional quests and my ocd forces me to clean them up as much as I can. Unfortunately as soon as I do one quest I get 2 more. They are multiplying!!!

Made myself a mix set of Barroth, bone, zora for now. Its just 3 Guard, 3 defence, 3 attack 1 elemental unlock and some random bits. Not stacking defence it just comes as side effect. Primary is guard and anything damage related.
    Using Odo lance tier 5 and need 2 more claws+ to upgrade. Cant get investigation for bastard, so I kill him in any quest I find.
    Have to admit Odo full set looks really yummy. Though it looks like it is very good set for GS users. Dont know if I will get much out of it with lance.

Any good way to get decorations? Those are so damn rare and I always get bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Any good way to get decorations? Those are so damn rare and I always get bollox.

Tempered investigations when you finish High Rank.

I'd just be burning through all your Low Rank and High Rank Optional Quests if I was you while doing the relevant Assignments/Elder Dragons

Trying to farm decorations at the point you are at is pointless.
    The game will expect you to grind a lot at the Elder Dragon Weapons/Armour and especially Tempered stage, so don't try and make it more painful than it needs to be :)
    Enjoy the game while it's still fun and refreshing, it'll get repetitive later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Tempered investigations when you finish High Rank.

I'd just be burning through all your Low Rank and High Rank Optional Quests if I was you while doing the relevant Assignments/Elder Dragons

Trying to farm decorations at the point you are at is pointless.
    The game will expect you to grind a lot at the Elder Dragon Weapons/Armour and especially Tempered stage, so don't try and make it more painful than it needs to be :)
    Enjoy the game while it's still fun and refreshing, it'll get repetitive later.

I have no luck with decorations on average. Even hunting tempered elders, can never get warped feystones, ALWAYS worn... ugh.

That being said, I have managed to get a good few decent jewels but I would say a good 90% of the jewels I get are rubbish. Best jewels I've gotten off of the top of my head are 2 Destroyer, 2 Non-Elemental Boost, 1 Bow Charge Plus, 1 Minds Eye/Ballistics, 1 Weakness Exploit, 2 Focus, and a few others like adding poison/paralysis/etc functionality to bows (not that useful for overall damage), a couple of earplugs jewels (which is pretty damn awful in World compared to older games), etc. I would love a Handicraft jewel.

Seriously though, the amount of thunder/poison/ice/etc resistance jewels I get is insane! Just f*ck off already and give me decent jewels!!

Speaking of handicraft, if anyone was worried about Deviljho's weapons because of the 25% negative affinity, don't be. Even negative affinity isn't that bad a thing. The reason I'm bringing Jho weapons up is because they really shine when used with Handicraft +5. The increased damage with white sharpness pretty much nullifies the negative affinity, though if you can gem/augment for increased affinity, you'll increase the damage even still! Even for monsters that aren't weak to dragon, Jho's LS is pretty much my main go to LS now!

Quick video from Gaijin Hunter about decorations, it's worth checking out.

Don't forget as well, the Spring Blossom festival starts this Friday (dunno what time) which means most if not all previous event quests will be available. Which means.... I'M COMING FOR YOU TEMPERED DEVILJHO!!!! Plus the new week's bounties will reset near midnight, so get your golden ticket for that free gem/ruby!

So...... Monster Hunter broke my xbox one controller. :pac: My L1 button is shagged. Needless to say everyone knows what this bitton for and how much is it hammered during emergency.

Finally opened fifth zone and played with Uragaan. He bate the **** out of me and I dont have any othercweapon then Fire damage. Which is again, needless to say, is not the best choice in that area. :pac:

Lads, why event quests and weeklies important? I cant see any rewards listed for those event quests. What and where do you use golden tickets then?

So...... Monster Hunter broke my xbox one controller. :pac: My L1 button is shagged. Needless to say everyone knows what this bitton for and how much is it hammered during emergency.

Finally opened fifth zone and played with Uragaan. He bate the **** out of me and I dont have any othercweapon then Fire damage. Which is again, needless to say, is not the best choice in that area. :pac:

Lads, why event quests and weeklies important? I cant see any rewards listed for those event quests. What and where do you use golden tickets then?

Every week there are special bounties, or "Limited Bounties", available from the resource hub. 3 bounties increasing in difficulty. These are typically along the lines of 'complete X number of quests in X location' or 'hunt X amount of X monster' etc. You get special tickets by completing these bounties. These tickets can be used at the elder melder to trade for rare items. The gold ticket is gotten from completing all 3 of that week's bounties. Silver tickets can be traded for items like plates, whereas gold tickets can be traded for gems/rubies/etc. Can be used for ALL gems, except Deviljho's for some odd reason but they may fix that in the next patch. These bounties reset every Friday near midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Drop rates for decent jewels make the end-end-end game a grindy, unrewarding mess.
    Probably gonna put this down after a few evenings of the festival event, it's just not worth grinding for top-tier jewels or hero streamstones when the drop rates are so garbage.
    It's not worth banging my head against a wall to try spec up any further, it's just Resistance jewels over and over like jaxxx said.
    Will have gotten almost 200 hours out of it so can't really complain, just think the drop chances are f**king **** and thats disappointing for me personally as I wanted to feel it was worthwhile to keep playing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Especially in this game where build diversity isn't THAT important. Sure you can make crazy stuff, but at the end of the day as long as you know the enemy move set and your weapon you can just bumblef**k your way through the game wearing anything half decent really.

I haven't been on since Joe and I'll be quite happy just to hop back on every other month for new DLC's.

Drop rates for decent jewels make the end-end-end game a grindy, unrewarding mess.
    Probably gonna put this down after a few evenings of the festival event, it's just not worth grinding for top-tier jewels or hero streamstones when the drop rates are so garbage.
    It's not worth banging my head against a wall to try spec up any further, it's just Resistance jewels over and over like jaxxx said.
    Will have gotten almost 200 hours out of it so can't really complain, just think the drop chances are f**king **** and thats disappointing for me personally as I wanted to feel it was worthwhile to keep playing

I'[m sick and tired of getting the exact same sh?tty jewels over and over again! I nearly have 20 speed eating jewels now! Warped feystones are very rare and yet they most often give those exact same sh?tty jewels! And don't get me started on getting the augment stones from elder dragons... The one thing I don't like about the game.

Spring Blossom event is out now, and all previous events have returned up until the 19th I think.

I am still playing it. Having fun too.

Worked my arse off to try and get all main elemental weapons to level 6. I still miss ice one.

I heard a lot of horror stories about Nergigante, so was kind of ignoring it and building up my arsenal, armour and balls. :pac:
    So said **** it and went in for some mingle. I ome shotted it, but I did carted twice. Carted only, because I felt too confident and cocky at the end. Lance is very strong against it and if someone wants to learn lance I would recommend to learn on Nergigante.
    Then I went for an elder dragon that I hate with passion since I discovered series. Kushala Daora. Freaking hate that windy ****. Stagger everywhere. After fighting in one area, you can barely move. Fecking tornadoes everywhere!!!
    Anyway, one shotted the bastard too. Carted only once, even then mostly due to bull**** involving wind.
    Still have almost all rank 7 optional quests to do.

So lads, those two elder dragons have very sweet sets. Weapons too, specially Nergy. If I want to fight it again I just do same quest again? No way of getting investigation for it?

Another thing, is handicraft is capped now? I have +2 handicraft, but when I check nergy weapon it does not show handicraft bonus?

I am still playing it. Having fun too.

Worked my arse off to try and get all main elemental weapons to level 6. I still miss ice one.

I heard a lot of horror stories about Nergigante, so was kind of ignoring it and building up my arsenal, armour and balls. :pac:
    So said **** it and went in for some mingle. I ome shotted it, but I did carted twice. Carted only, because I felt too confident and cocky at the end. Lance is very strong against it and if someone wants to learn lance I would recommend to learn on Nergigante.
    Then I went for an elder dragon that I hate with passion since I discovered series. Kushala Daora. Freaking hate that windy ****. Stagger everywhere. After fighting in one area, you can barely move. Fecking tornadoes everywhere!!!
    Anyway, one shotted the bastard too. Carted only once, even then mostly due to bull**** involving wind.
    Still have almost all rank 7 optional quests to do.

So lads, those two elder dragons have very sweet sets. Weapons too, specially Nergy. If I want to fight it again I just do same quest again? No way of getting investigation for it?

Another thing, is handicraft is capped now? I have +2 handicraft, but when I check nergy weapon it does not show handicraft bonus?

Handicraft has no effect on any Nergigante weapons whatsoever, running its weapons with a Handicraft set is a waste. All other weapons utilise handicraft fine, Jho especially. Running Jho weapons with Handicraft+5 almost completely negates it's negative 25% affinity.

You will unlock elder dragon investigations for each one, except the final one which I won't spoil in case you're not there yet. Just give it time. Collect all of their tracks and sometimes breaking parts will unlock them.

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    Handicraft has no effect on any Nergigante weapons whatsoever, running its weapons with a Handicraft set is a waste. All other weapons utilise handicraft fine, Jho especially. Running Jho weapons with Handicraft+5 almost completely negates it's negative 25% affinity.

You will unlock elder dragon investigations for each one, except the final one which I won't spoil in case you're not there yet. Just give it time. Collect all of their tracks and sometimes breaking parts will unlock them.

Ah, that makes sense then. Cheers. I still want its weapon, specially to hunt elder dragons.
    Looks like I will repeat the quest for a few times, before I will get investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Finally toppled Anjanath, single cart this time because I was trying hammer for a change. Went back to my charge axe and took it down. Went through the following mission too, looking forward to seeing what's next!

Ah, that makes sense then. Cheers. I still want its weapon, specially to hunt elder dragons.
    Looks like I will repeat the quest for a few times, before I will get investigation.
    Another important point about unlocking investigations, investigations you unlock aren't necessarily of the monster you're fighting or the monsters own tracks. This is especially true for elder dragons. Collecting Nergigante tracks for example and you could unlock a Kushala investiagtion. It is the bloody bane of my existence in World, tempereds especially. The majority of elder dragon investigations I unlock are mainly Vaal/Kushala. Pain in the butt.

My current Achilles heel at the moment is that b*st*rd temepred Pickle... The only tempered monster in the game that has an increased health pool! Normal Jho takes me 5 minutes usually depending on how well I'm playing, that tempered b*st*rd takes 10+. But I usually ragequit if I cart even once...

Really enjoying the spring event these days. Except for that Ryu challenge, what a time sink.

Also, Joe's hunting horn is amazing. Like how did they even allow it? It's so powerful.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Really enjoying the spring event these days. Except for that Ryu challenge, what a time sink.

Also, Joe's hunting horn is amazing. Like how did they even allow it? It's so powerful.

Son of a *****, I completely forgot about doing today's bounties! Thanks for the reminder!!

Not getting much enjoyment out of the Spring decor at the Hub, cos I'm never there!

The HH is I think the one weapon I've never used in all my years playing it MH. Powerful is it? C'mon, it's the Pickle! Pickle weapons have to be the best :D (I still can not get over that small little joke they slipped in when you first face Jho! I laughed my head off)

Is event pretty much those event missions and thats it? Do those tickets cam be used for something else, then just that gear set for ypu and palico?
    So far, I kind of ignore all dailies and event.

I killed Nergigante 4 more times last night. Carted only once and called it bull**** like a true gamer. :) As lancer he is so damn easy. On the other hand if you leave yourself for opening or get to greedy that health bar is empty in less then a blink!
    Made myself nergy lance, which freed up my charm and head slot, because I dont need handicraft. Its a nice set vs dragons now. I presume it still stands raw damage > elemental damage? I use proper elemental for each monster, but nergy lance is 500 raw and closest I come to any element is 400.

I love my lance, but I feel that my gear selection is extremely limited. No matter what I need that 3 uraa set guard up bonus. I do use only guard 3. Really dont see need in 5.

Its a shame I have no useful decorations. Always sleep or paralysis defence...

I have noticed one thing too. Does increase health skill stacks with food buff now?!

Apparently one of my gems is really rare. Sharp 2. Protective polish or whatever.

Use it on my xeno longsword. Didn't realise it was so rare until someone said it on the reddit.

Apparently one of my gems is really rare. Sharp 2. Protective polish or whatever.

Use it on my xeno longsword. Didn't realise it was so rare until someone said it on the reddit.

You.... have a gem for protective polish..................?

[Jaxxx gears up to hunt down Rob2D and take that gem for himself]
    Is event pretty much those event missions and thats it? Do those tickets cam be used for something else, then just that gear set for ypu and palico?
    So far, I kind of ignore all dailies and event.

I killed Nergigante 4 more times last night. Carted only once and called it bull**** like a true gamer. As lancer he is so damn easy. On the other hand if you leave yourself for opening or get to greedy that health bar is empty in less then a blink!
    Made myself nergy lance, which freed up my charm and head slot, because I dont need handicraft. Its a nice set vs dragons now. I presume it still stands raw damage > elemental damage? I use proper elemental for each monster, but nergy lance is 500 raw and closest I come to any element is 400.

I love my lance, but I feel that my gear selection is extremely limited. No matter what I need that 3 uraa set guard up bonus. I do use only guard 3. Really dont see need in 5.

Its a shame I have no useful decorations. Always sleep or paralysis defence...

I have noticed one thing too. Does increase health skill stacks with food buff now?!

Depends on the weapon. A general rule of thumb is elemental is more important on faster weapons, raw more important on slower (generally GS and hammer).

I get p@ssed off with myself if a Nergigante hunt lasts more than 3/3.5 minutes. Honestly, for Nerigante I wouldn't worry too much about having Guard Up. Guard+3 is plenty, especially now with powerguard. Even without any Guard skill, powerguard easily makes sh@t of Nergigante's dive bomb. Attack, handicraft, critical eye, critical boost, etc would serve you much better. And weakness exploit of course. Weakness exploit is pretty much a must have skill no matter what weapon you use.

Event tickets usually are just for that armour/weapon only. One event to keep in mind though if you're far enough into the game is the dual tempered Legiana/P.Rathian quest. Gives way more XP to your hunter rank than any other quest. If you run it well, you can clear it easily enough in 5/6 minutes, depending on what skills and weapon you use. There are 2 useful quests as well for unlocking tempered investigations. One is in the Ancient Forest for tier 2 investigations (maybe tier 1 as well, I'm not sure) where you collect tempered tracks all over the map with the main mission being to deliver X amount of a specific mushroom. The second is in the Elder's Recess and unlocks tier 3 (elder dragon) tempered investigations. Same thing as before, collect tracks over the map and then deliver X amount of berryl to finish. Elder tracks do only appear in certain areas so check out a youtube video to see exactly where.

^ I've just done the Elder's Recess quest and got 4 investigations from it! I was amazed..... until I went and saw what those investigations were. All 4 were Vaal Hazak with only 2 purple rewards each... GARBAGE!!!!! :mad:

I discovered something just now during that quest that I completely didn't think of until now. Those of you new to the MH franchise won't really get what I'm on about but anyone who's played previous games will. And that is simply the inability to go off on mining expeditions anymore. Well you can still do them obviously, but the whole point of a mining expedition in past games was to mine decorations. Some of the best charms I ever got in past games was from mining, either through mining runs or just general mining in a normal quest. Now in World you can't. I used to love making a special gathering armour set and then heading out on a Harvest Tour to farm charms. I'm feeling somewhat, sombre, now that I've made that realisation :(

Well, Hunted dowm Teostra and Vaal.

Teostra managed to humiliate me like no one else. It killed me in about 10 seconds before even I managed to land a hit on our first date. Got really pissed off. Restarted quest and one shotted it. Not too hard, just need patients.

Vaal was weird. It wasn't hard, just very annoying. Most of my issues were with my over confidence. One shotted.

So got to last lad. One shotted him too. Carted once though. Really nasty when enraged. Cool monster. Wont spoil to others who are still starting out. I got here in 70h, still got majority of 7 star quests to complete. 118 hunts. Every single one with lance. No other weapon used. :D

Watching credits now. :pac:

• Advertisement

Well, Hunted dowm Teostra and Vaal.

Teostra managed to humiliate me like no one else. It killed me in about 10 seconds before even I managed to land a hit on our first date. Got really pissed off. Restarted quest and one shotted it. Not too hard, just need patients.

Vaal was weird. It wasn't hard, just very annoying. Most of my issues were with my over confidence. One shotted.

So got to last lad. One shotted him too. Carted once though. Really nasty when enraged. Cool monster. Wont spoil to others who are still starting out. I got here in 70h, still got majority of 7 star quests to complete. 118 hunts. Every single one with lance. No other weapon used. :D

Watching credits now. :pac:

Did you see the untold truth behind the Rotten Vale? It's not a part of the story, just in its design.

Did you see the untold truth behind the Rotten Vale? It's not a part of the story, just in its design.

Yeah that's pretty dope.

Had to google it and was really disappointed with myself that I didn't notice it! That is cool.

I think so far, MHW is my favourite Monster Hunter game, with MH4U very close second. The reason MHW is first, because I know it will be updated and expanded on. I just really hope capcom will keep updating this one or releasing expansions that we can buy, instead of releasing new updated versions as full games like they do with street fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Lads any chance of a hand here please. I’m nearly 40 hours into this and only level 11

I have Materials in my box when I go to sell but they don’t appear when I go to manage items.

It’s weird because there’s armpit spheres etc there that I could use to level up amongst other stuff.

In particular at the start I didn’t sell anything so just horded all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Lads any chance of a hand here please. I’m nearly 40 hours into this and only level 11

I have Materials in my box when I go to sell but they don’t appear when I go to manage items.

It’s weird because there’s armpit spheres etc there that I could use to level up amongst other stuff.

In particular at the start I didn’t sell anything so just horded all of this.

They don't appear because they are crafting only items used for the crafting of weapons and armour, and some items that are intended for you to sell (It will say so in brackets beside the item). The items in the last screenshot are consumables for use only when you are out in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

They don't appear because they are crafting only items used for the crafting of weapons and armour, and some items that are intended for you to sell (It will say so in brackets beside the item). The items in the last screenshot are consumables for use only when you are out in the field.

Thanks for that. Kind of makes a bit more sense alright. Will have another look later on when I get to play.

I feel like I’m only starting to get into the game tbh. I’d never played a MH game before so it’s all new.

Unofficial reports of a brand new map incoming. I'm guessing it's a tundra themed map, as that was something I was almost shocked was omitted from the game because there has been a tundra map in pretty much every game going as far back as I can remember. Sounds like it's a ways off yet.

Completed "The Sapphire Star's Guidance" this evening.

No carts so I was super happy with myself. It was fun walking around Astera with everyone wanting to talk to me and say how great I am :pac:

I guess I've finally finished the game now and can take a break until the next DLC!

Completed "The Sapphire Star's Guidance" this evening.

No carts so I was super happy with myself. It was fun walking around Astera with everyone wanting to talk to me and say how great I am :pac:

I guess I've finally finished the game now and can take a break until the next DLC!

If rumours are anything to go by, you won't have long to wait as it's supposedly dropping sometime soon after the Spring Blossom festival ends (19th). What it is is anyone's guess but
    Alatreon, Oroshi Kirin, Lunatra
    appeared on a leaked monster list a couple weeks back. So who knows.

I haven't been playing much for a week or so. Pretty much after I completed the Sapphire Star's Guidance, I did a few tempered Jhos but nothing else. Kinda just got bored of it.

I got the new GS just for the fun of it, even though I haven't touched GS since back in Tri. That's going back a long time. Also for the fun of it, I made a quick armour set (attack 7, weakness exploit 3, focus 3, non-elemental boost) and just tried it out on an Azure Rathalos. 6 minutes and that was with 1 cart and getting hit multiple times. First time I've used GS in a hunt since Tri and I kill Azure Rathalos in 6 minutes, without the use of might seeds/demondrugs/demon powder. Holy mother of Fatalis!! And the only real experience I've had with it in World thus far is trying out the new combos in the training area! If I keep at it, how long would a flawless hunt take, jesus! 3/4 minutes??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jaysus. I'm still playing this game. A testament to it's greatness to have a contrary curmudgeon like me still loving it.

Advertisement