Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you clear all the optional missions (the one with the stars) before you do the last story mission you will get a huge rank boost when you finish the story.

I did not do this and went from rank 15 to 41, where as my mate had them all done and ended up at rank 60.

Just a heads up for the new kids on the block.

Nice one,i guess its an evening of clearing queues..which is what i do in work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You get that experience/level up regardless. It's just "gated" behind certain missions, but it still counts long term.
    It's just a matter of if you'd rather do them before unlocking High Rank or after (post 2nd Zorah Magdoras fight)

That being said, Low Rank monster parts hold less value once you've unlocked High Rank.
    So if you intend to tick off all the boxes (like I do) by doing all the optional quests, it's more worthwhile doing the 1xStar -> 5xStar Optional quests before you finish the 2nd Zorah Magdoras fight

I actually think it's a great mechanic that they consider what you invested in the grind xp wise before you pass the specific leveling checkpoints.
    So you feel rewarded for your time while staying within the confines of the linear levelling system in the main campaign.
    Other games would just be like "tough s**t, you're rank 15 now, get to grinding". I was pleasantly surprised.

I believe the same thing happens at Rank 29 and you get prompted to fight 2x Tempered Monsters.
    I jumped straight from 15 -> 29, then 29 -> 41.

Overall the Optional missions are a nice break from the "Story" mode and a good way to refight the monsters for either parts or to learn their attack patterns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nergigante is kicking my ass.

Have tried him with hammer, longsword, and lance but still he wrecks me.

First major roadblock I’ve encountered so far.[/
    Are you using Kadachi Fang III?
    I find its best to just stay under his 4 legs and whack away at him tbh.
    Use the vitality mantle as get-out-of-jail panic button
    Aye using that lightning lance.

Will give the vitality mantle a go.

EDIT: And he’s down! Also went on to kill the rest of the elders, with no hassle.

Now I’m HL 29. Guess the tutorial is over and the game begins now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Still haven't been able to beat my Nergigante run of 3:53 :mad: Closest I've gotten was 4:12. Though my hammer has extra attack from an augmentation now which should help, plus hammer stun is getting buffed in the March 22nd update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Seriously though I hope whoever came up with idea of palico paddling in a little dinghy got a raise.

• Advertisement

Patch Notes vid. Good news for me and my collection of Longswords

Broke my Nergigante record not once, not twice, but three times today!

Old Record: 3:53
    Oldest New Record: 3:43
    Older New Record: 3 minutes dead
    Current Record: 2:47!!! -> and that's including chasing the b*st*rd back to its bed!

Feeling frickin' fantastic :D The hilarious thing is those new times were actually consecutive, directly after one another!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Free character edit token for anyone on Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Finally got the rocksteady mantle after trying for weeks, I have been getting terrible error codes no matter how many times I try to join any online sessions so I gave up to be honest. I did everything you are meant to do to trigger the mission ( slay 5 elder dragons after completing the kirin mission) but it never popped up.

Its a nice piece of kit to have, works very well with the infinity booster so you can stand still and go to town with the dual blades.

• Advertisement

Finally got the rocksteady mantle after trying for weeks, I have been getting terrible error codes no matter how many times I try to join any online sessions so I gave up to be honest. I did everything you are meant to do to trigger the mission ( slay 5 elder dragons after completing the kirin mission) but it never popped up.

Its a nice piece of kit to have, works very well with the infinity booster so you can stand still and go to town with the dual blades.

For rocksteady the elder hunts have to be tempered hunts and you have to hunt 3 unique tempered elders (i.e. can't repeat the same one three times). A lot of sites have stated that it's 5 elder hunts but that's incorrect, only 3 unique tempered so maybe that's why it took you a while to get it. And of course you already have one of them completed anyway with the tempered kirin so it's really only 2. Then you get the dual tempered odogaron/vaal hazak quest which unlocks the rocksteady. I can confirm it's only 3 because that's exactly what how I unlocked it.

Aside from certain tempered elder hunts, the game has really lost all challenge now. Did a triple Tier 2 tempered quest (think it was Diablos/Black Diablos/Pink Rathian) earlier and it took me 10 minutes. Even those tempered elder hunts take me less than 10 minutes at most. Really really hope they add G-rank.

I hear you, but I have got the trophies for killing 50 elder dragons and the challenge still did not drop. I certainly did not kill the same elder dragon 50 times lol. Then as soon as I respond to an SOS for the challenge it drops for me.

Still having terrible issues joining anything online, if I want to kill any elder tempered dragons I have to have the investigation myself of I am fooked.

Another terrible inconsistency I have found is the damage from tempered dragons, one shot kills are so hit and miss. I am not talking about the big moves all the dragons do....that is a given, but even when you are say underneath them and they just change direction I am getting instant death!!! Its not even a move the dragon does.....and I am at the very least 450-480 defense with all the bells and whistles on (armor skin etc)

I hear you, but I have got the trophies for killing 50 elder dragons and the challenge still did not drop. I certainly did not kill the same elder dragon 50 times lol. Then as soon as I respond to an SOS for the challenge it drops for me.

Still having terrible issues joining anything online, if I want to kill any elder tempered dragons I have to have the investigation myself of I am fooked.

Another terrible inconsistency I have found is the damage from tempered dragons, one shot kills are so hit and miss. I am not talking about the big moves all the dragons do....that is a given, but even when you are say underneath them and they just change direction I am getting instant death!!! Its not even a move the dragon does.....and I am at the very least 450-480 defense with all the bells and whistles on (armor skin etc)

Such is the joy of tempereds, even a rudimentary 'attack' can do more damage than their actual main attacks. Black Diablos (tempered) 'dig' attack hit me for 60% on a hunt today. 'Attack' where it just turned around, 90% damage. #MHThings

Word of warning to all ye blademaster cutting weapon mains: when playing multiplayer, leave the head for impact wielders (hunting horn/hammer)... because if you don't this will happen to you!! (skip to 2:33) {insert evil though justified laugh}

Great vid, but as a hunter that uses 3-4 different high rarity weapons a properly set up dual blade to the head is absolutely lethal.....so I dont know about giving way for a hammer attack (as good as it is).

Great vid, but as a hunter that uses 3-4 different high rarity weapons a properly set up dual blade to the head is absolutely lethal.....so I dont know about giving way for a hammer attack (as good as it is).

Dual blades can't KO monsters, hammers can. Get in the way of a hammer, or hunting horn for that matter, and you're gonna get thrown. Impact weapons deal more damage to the head than cutting weapons, as most monsters' heads are weaker to impact than cutting. It's essentially hunting etiquette when playing with others, cutters focus tail/wings/legs/etc, impact the head for the KO because heads take more damage in most cases from impact than cutting.

Tomorrow the Pickle is released!! If you thought Bazelguese was bad, wait till you come across the Pickle! I just hope they haven't nerfed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its my birthday today and I made myself a gift of MH. Finally I am back baby!!! I hope I am not too late to the party!
    Where is the nearest Jaggy?! I need that low rank attack+ set! :pac:

Its my birthday today and I made myself a gift of MH. Finally I am back baby!!! I hope I am not too late to the party!
    Where is the nearest Jaggy?! I need that low rank attack+ set! :pac:

No Great Jaggi I'm afraid :( But instead we have a monster almost as pathetic, Great Jagras!

Oh god now you've reminded me of how awesome Jaggi's armour set was! Stun resistance and attack up...

Dammit we need to start a campaign to bring back Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi!

You're not late to the party at all but... you have some work to do by tomorrow because tomorrow the Picklelord returns! :D

jaxxx wrote: »
    No Great Jaggi I'm afraid :( But instead we have a monster almost as pathetic, Great Jagras!

Oh god now you've reminded me of how awesome Jaggi's armour set was! Stun resistance and attack up...

Dammit we need to start a campaign to bring back Jaggi/Baggi/Wroggi!

You're not late to the party at all but... you have some work to do by tomorrow because tomorrow the Picklelord returns! :D

No Great Jaggy, but we got the pickle back... ffs... Do we have Seregios back?!

Only did very first quest and had to go pick up misses. Going for a few pints. Tonight I will sink my teeth in to MH again, misses was warned, she wont see me much for the foreseeable future. :pac:

Is it me, or light is very oversaturated on xbox one x? MH games come as a bright colourful games, not just blured by light. I tried beta on normal ps4 and I think it looked more bright then blinding.

No Great Jaggy, but we got the pickle back... ffs... Do we have Seregios back?!

Only did very first quest and had to go pick up misses. Going for a few pints. Tonight I will sink my teeth in to MH again, misses was warned, she wont see me much for the foreseeable future. :pac:

Is it me, or light is very oversaturated on xbox one x? MH games come as a bright colourful games, not just blured by light. I tried beta on normal ps4 and I think it looked more bright then blinding.

No Seregios sadly, or Zinogre, or any of the Fated Four... That's the one thing that disappointed me about World, the roster. But hopefully that will be added to in time. I'd like to see Duramboros return in addition to the above, as well as some leviathans. How I long to fight Lagiacrus again! Really want to see Barioth and Nargacuga return as well. Plus most if not all of their respective subspecies. Plus various elder dragons, although unofficial reports claim that
    Alatreon and Lunastra
    are supposedly set to make a return plus others, though there has been no official comment on their return as yet. Would really love Lao Shan Lung, Fatalis, Jhen/Dahren Mohran, Dire Miralis and Dalamadur to return as well, plus their subspecies. Though since there's no underwater fighting, some of those mentioned will be unlikely :( Then again I may be asking for a lot :D

Major Spoiler with regards to one of the above mentioned elders with regards to the game itself, BE WARNED. There is no official mention of this in the game through the story, but
    if you look at the shape of the Rotten Vale map, you may notice (if you played previous games) that there's a certain resemblance to an elder dragon not in the game that was previously mentioned.
    As I said, there's no mention of it in game, I didn't even notice it despite having hunted said elder in the past, it was only while browsing through youtube I discovered it.
    Took a look at it myself and my mind was blown!

I'm kinda glad Seregios wasn't added, as cool a monster as it was, I hated it! :D

I have to add actually, in the past I've never really been too invested in the previous games respective stories, but World's was pretty damn interesting! I usually don't care about being spoiled for games, films, etc, but I made a point to not be spoiled for World.

No Seregios sadly, or Zinogre, or any of the Fated Four... That's the one thing that disappointed me about World, the roster. But hopefully that will be added to in time. I'd like to see Duramboros return in addition to the above, as well as some leviathans. How I long to fight Lagiacrus again! Really want to see Barioth and Nargacuga return as well. Plus most if not all of their respective subspecies. Plus various elder dragons, although unofficial reports claim that
    Alatreon and Lunastra
    are supposedly set to make a return plus others, though there has been no official comment on their return as yet. Would really love Lao Shan Lung, Fatalis, Jhen/Dahren Mohran, Dire Miralis and Dalamadur to return as well, plus their subspecies. Though since there's no underwater fighting, some of those mentioned will be unlikely :( Then again I may be asking for a lot :D

Major Spoiler with regards to one of the above mentioned elders with regards to the game itself, BE WARNED. There is no official mention of this in the game through the story, but
    if you look at the shape of the Rotten Vale map, you may notice (if you played previous games) that there's a certain resemblance to an elder dragon not in the game that was previously mentioned.
    As I said, there's no mention of it in game, I didn't even notice it despite having hunted said elder in the past, it was only while browsing through youtube I discovered it.
    Took a look at it myself and my mind was blown!

I'm kinda glad Seregios wasn't added, as cool a monster as it was, I hated it! :D

I have to add actually, in the past I've never really been too invested in the previous games respective stories, but World's was pretty damn interesting! I usually don't care about being spoiled for games, films, etc, but I made a point to not be spoiled for World.

I like to think I am a big fan of Monster hunter series, but I only started playing it properly at MH4 times. In fairness, I bought 2 normal 3ds and wii u only for MH3, and then new 3ds and new 3ds xl only for MH4! Sank a bit of time in generations, but I really did not liked the whole
    Art styles mechanic. So yeah, MH4 and its Monsters are the most close to my heart.
    Seregios was one of those MONSTERS that wiped floors with me. I hated it and loved it. Then I really wanted a full seregios set with seregios lance built. So by the time I got my set, I was wiping floors with seregios face. :pac: Its my personal iconic Monster if that makes any sense.

Never liked elder dragon fights though, specially the very big ones, where mechanics completely change to normal MH formula. Hated Dalamadur a lot!

• Advertisement

I like to think I am a big fan of Monster hunter series, but I only started playing it properly at MH4 times. In fairness, I bought 2 normal 3ds and wii u only for MH3, and then new 3ds and new 3ds xl only for MH4! Sank a bit of time in generations, but I really did not liked the whole
    Art styles mechanic. So yeah, MH4 and its Monsters are the most close to my heart.
    Seregios was one of those MONSTERS that wiped floors with me. I hated it and loved it. Then I really wanted a full seregios set with seregios lance built. So by the time I got my set, I was wiping floors with seregios face. :pac: Its my personal iconic Monster if that makes any sense.

Never liked elder dragon fights though, specially the very big ones, where mechanics completely change to normal MH formula. Hated Dalamadur a lot!

Haha I did exactly the same, bought WiiU solely for 3U. Technically I've been playing MH since Freedom on the PSP. But I never really got too far with Freedom, or Freedom 2. In fact I was so bad at the game back then that I just could not ever get past Rathalos. He was my Achilles heel. I finally got back into the game with Tri on the Wii. It was only then that I went from complete noob to somewhat competent. Up until and even for most of the story in Tri, I only ever used GS. Then I started to branch out, using pretty much everything else. I quite literally 'got good', hehe.

Played the last few 3DS games as well though never really committed to grinding once I had killed pretty much everything, even then there were some elders I never faced. I was always kinda of put off cos I felt the controls on a hand held were just a lot more clunky than using a controller. And then when World came out, I was debating whether to hold out for the PC release but I caved and did exactly the same as I did with the WiiU and went out and bought a PS4 Pro. Hehe. Money well spent though.

I get what you're saying about certain elders alright. Some fights are very mundane, though I always enjoyed the Mohran hunts. Absolutely hated Ceadeus back in Tri and 3U. Well 3U wasn't as bad cos you could fight it online with others, but fighting it solo was just pure zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. That being said, it's armour set was frickin' amazing with handicraft and earplugs.

I do find though that World is just that little bit too easy. Anyone who has played MH in the past can straight away tell that it's been knocked down a few pegs so as to get more people into the franchise, which has actually worked to their favour since it has become Capcom's best selling game ever and it's only 3 months now, with the PC version releasing later in the year. That being said though, the mechanics in World has put it in a completely different league to pretty much every western release MH before it. And now the Pickle is being released and I think it's actually around midnight tonight as well (though not officially confirmed). I've seen Jho's armour set skills and it's slightly underwhelming, though it's armour set skill bonus has yet to be revealed so hopefully that will make up for it.

It'll certainly be an adjustment for you the way that skills, charms, etc work now. Certainly was for me! Though I do kind of miss the hard work you had to put in in previous titles to make a good armour set, tweaking armours and jewels to your own liking. You'll know what I'm on about once you progress through.

OMG I cannot wait to hunt tempered Picklejho... {insert squeel of excitement}

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Stopped played MHW about a month ago as the end game grind wasn't for me. I killed everything in the game and i was happy enough with that. Was tempted today to buy a WiiU online with 3Ultimate. Would it be jarring for me going back to an older game considering MHW was my first MH game?

I'm not a fan of staggered DLC releases. Not going to fire up the PS4 again tonight to fight Jho as i'd rather wait for everything to release and do all the content in one swoop. Or better yet wait for the PC release which considering Capcoms past PC ports will be the Ultimate version of MHW with all DLC included.

First release is now live: THE PICKLE HAS LANDED! Here's the change logs in case anyone wants to give it a read (straight copy and paste from offiical site)

WEAPON BALANCE UPDATES

Great Sword

Charged Slash II — Damage increased.
    Charged Slash III — Damage increased.
    Strong Charged Slash II — Damage increased.
    Strong Charged Slash III — Damage increased.

Long Sword

Foresight Slash — Time window to successfully trigger increased.
    Foresight Slash — Hitbox to successfully trigger increased.
    Foresight Slash — Damage hitbox increased.
    Foresight Slash — Increased the angle that the player can control the direction of the attack.
    Spirit Helm Breaker — (Bug Fix) After use, you should now properly be immune to knockbacks until you land on the ground.

Sword & Shield

Roundslash — Damage increased.
    Wedge beetles can now be used when using the slinger with your weapon drawn.

Dual Blades

Demon Gauge — Can now be increased by Demon Mode roundslashes and Demon Flurry Rush.
    Demon Mode — Fixed a bug where you could not cancel Demon Mode when transitioning from a Demon Dodge.

Hammer

Charge Tier 2 — Charged Upswing stun values increased.
    Charge Tier 2 — Charged Brutal Upswing stun values increased.
    Charge Tier 3 — Charged Big Bang stun values increased.

Hunting Horn

The Encore effect for the Self-Improvement melody now also increases your attack power (the effect is now "Attack Up + Deflected Attack Prevention").

Lance

Counter-thrust — Temporary knockback negation during a successful counter-thrust.

Gunlance

Shelling — Damage parameters increased when sharpness is yellow or worse.
    Sharpness loss alleviated for all Wyrmstake Cannon and Wyvern's Fire attacks.
    Wyrmstake Cannon — Damage increased.
    Wyvern's Fire — Damage increased.

Switch Axe

Zero Sum Discharge — Level 4 Earplugs effect during use.
    It is now possible to chain the beginning of Sword: Jumping Element Discharge into Zero Sum Discharge.
    Zero Sum Discharge Finisher — Damaged increased.
    Mounted Discharge Finisher — No longer causes sharpness loss.
    Zero Sum Discharge — (Bug Fix) After use, you should now properly be immune to knockbacks until you land on the ground.

Charge Blade

Impact Phials — Attack power bonuses from effects other than that of the Artillery skill (for the explosions) were decreased.
    Axe: Super Amped Element Discharge — Stun values decreased for Impact Phials.
    Phial stun values increased for all attacks other than Axe: Super Amped Element Discharge.
    Elemental values increased for Power Element Phials.
    Axe: Super Amped Element Discharge — Power Element Phial explosions spaced closer together to make them easier to hit.

Insect Glaive

Improved the effect of the attack power increase for red/white and red/white/orange extract hybrid effects.
    Extract effect times increased overall.
    Extract effect times no longer decrease while mounting a monster.

Bow

Dashing Shot — Fixed a bug where the Spread/Power Shots skill effect was applied twice.
    Dragon Piercer — Fixed a bug where you could shoot past the attack's angle limitations. Now shoots straight ahead of the player, regardless of the camera angle, when shot with the camera angle past the attack's angle limitations.

Light Bowgun and Heavy Bowgun

No adjustments were made.

GAME SYSTEM ADDITIONAL AND CHANGES

Optimized data processing to reduce loading times.
    Added the feature "Kick from Online Session" to the player list.
    Added "Return to Gathering Hub" (single player) and "Disband & Return to Gathering Hub" (multiplayer) to the options for "Select Return Destination" after a quest.
    Added the "Text Size" setting for changing subtitle text size, under Start Menu > Options Game Settings.
    In the "Online Session" menu, the name for the menu command "Squad Session Search" was changed to "Create/Search for a Squad Session" (the functionality is unchanged).
    Attacks from allies no longer interrupt you during the carving animation. Additionally, players are now immune to all hit reactions, including bombs, during carving animations after quest completion.
    Slightly reduced the amount that the Scoutfly Level (which is tied to monster research levels) gauge decreases after each quest.

Stopped played MHW about a month ago as the end game grind wasn't for me. I killed everything in the game and i was happy enough with that. Was tempted today to buy a WiiU online with 3Ultimate. Would it be jarring for me going back to an older game considering MHW was my first MH game?

I'm not a fan of staggered DLC releases. Not going to fire up the PS4 again tonight to fight Jho as i'd rather wait for everything to release and do all the content in one swoop. Or better yet wait for the PC release which considering Capcoms past PC ports will be the Ultimate version of MHW with all DLC included.

You're going to be waiting a while then. Staggered DLC releases is just the way MH games go. New quests, new monsters, along with new weapons/armours. Considering the success that World has had and it only released 3 months ago, I can easily see them adding DLC for 2 years if not more. They'd be fools not to capitalise on its success, like I said in an earlier post, in only 3 months this has become Capcom's best selling game ever.

So finally managed to play now. Did not do much of main quest as I was more exploring and checking out stuff. I just have a few little questions as there are some changes from original games.

Quest structure is completely changed? Urgent quests are same as before, you do them to progress. Then if you want to farm something you do investigations? How are the investigations rotated or added? Am I right to say that the ones you mark are locked in and you can keep doing them and the rest will change up?

What are research points used for? So far I cant see any use for it, though I am very early in a game.

So no more point stacking to get a skill? You just get a skill from a gear piece and some of skillscan be stacked up for higher versions? No more +7 attack charm farming? :pac:

How do you capture monsters? Is it still same process? Tire them down and then while they crawl throw pit trap etc?

So finally managed to play now. Did not do much of main quest as I was more exploring and checking out stuff. I just have a few little questions as there are some changes from original games.

Quest structure is completely changed? Urgent quests are same as before, you do them to progress. Then if you want to farm something you do investigations? How are the investigations rotated or added? Am I right to say that the ones you mark are locked in and you can keep doing them and the rest will change up?

What are research points used for? So far I cant see any use for it, though I am very early in a game.

So no more point stacking to get a skill? You just get a skill from a gear piece and some of skillscan be stacked up for higher versions? No more +7 attack charm farming? :pac:

How do you capture monsters? Is it still same process? Tire them down and then while they crawl throw pit trap etc?

Oh geez I was just about to go to bed. Sigh the things I do to help people, haha.

Urgent Quests: urgents are kinda the same except you can join them now online and it still counts as being completed, unlike in the past where you had to post the quest yourself. Which is a nice feature I must say. So not much has changed in the line of urgents.

Investigations and optional quests are separate from each other. Optional quests are always there, they're just your normal regular quests, they don't rotate or anything. Investigations are slightly different. There are various ways you unlock investigations: the most usual way is going out in the world and collectiing footprints and other tracks from monsters; breaking certain parts of monsters can also lead to investigations being unlocked. When you're out in the world, a small notification will pop up notifying you that you have unlocked an investigation. When you go back to Astera, you can register your investigations at the research centre so you can then do them.

Things to note about investigations:
    • Once you register an investigation, you can then do the quest by going to the quest board as usual and select an investigation quest under investigations.
    • There are usually special limits set on them. This can be things like 'you can only faint once/twice', 'max 2 players only', '15 minute quest time', etc. The special conditions will be highlighted on the quest page.
    • There is a maximum amount of times you can do a certain investigation before it disappears. This is displayed next to investigation quest list. Don't worry though, unlocking new investigations is easy so much so that you'll have to delete ones you don't want. The maximum number of unregistered investigations you can have is 250. Once that's full, I assume you cannot unlock more until you delete some - I am not at all confident on that.
    • You'll notice on the investigation quests that there are bronze, silver and gold boxes near the bottom. These are additional rewards you can get by completing the quest, which are quite good for getting rarer items. The higher the colour, the better the chance for rarer rewards. Tip: do not bother with investigations with bronze rewards. Not worth it at all. Stick to silver and gold. Just delete ones with bronze rewards.
    • Just to reiterate, investigations are unlocked only, there is no rotation. There are literally hundreds of different ones to unlock, ranging from single hunts to multi hunts. You'll learn more about them as you progress through the story.
    Ok investigations done (finally... what's next). Research points! They're used for farming and trading mostly. Won't be available early game, you unlock and upgrade them as you go on. You can also use them in the canteen but honestly it's a pure waste, just use money.

No more stacking to get a skill :pac: That's what I meant in an earlier post when I said you no longer have to put in hard work to mix armours and jewels to get the set you want. It's weird to start off with, but it is so much easier to mix sets up now.

Capturing is exactly the same, except tranq bombs are now called tranq pods :pac:

One nice addition now though is that the more your research level of a monster increases, the more you learn about it. You can 'unlock' details about what elements and ailments a monster is weak to, what parts you can get and their carve/reward chances, etc.Takes a wee while but now you no longer need to consult the online wiki to see how rare X gem is or what element Y is weakest to. Won't be available to you immediately, as I said you unlock more info about a monster the more you hunt them.

Mantles are new to the game. They are very end game items and are quite a pain to get (big huge rigmarole to unlock them) but they're very useful and quite op. But you won't need to worry about them for a while.

*NB*Probably the biggest advice I can give is to check out GaijinHunter and ArekkzGaming on Youtube. They have so many videos on how to unlock certain things, information on certain mechanics, information on best way to unlock investigations, etc etc etc. Seriously, they should almost be paid by Capcom because of how useful their videos are.

Think I've covered everything. Drop me a PM if there's anything you're unsure of. One thing I'll say is though, your handler does get very annoying very quickly! Haha. And you're stuck with her forever!!

Knew I forgot something... tempered monsters. Again, very end game. Tempereds don't have increased health when compared to their normal high rank counterparts, but they hit like a nuke. Regardless of armour resistance and defence, many attacks will one shot you. Tempereds can only be hunted through investigations (apart from 2 urgent quests). Hunting elders gets you unique items which are used for various things end game, I won't mention specifics in case you don't want to it spoiled.

Oh geez I was just about to go to bed. Sigh the things I do to help people, haha.

Urgent Quests: urgents are kinda the same except you can join them now online and it still counts as being completed, unlike in the past where you had to post the quest yourself. Which is a nice feature I must say. So not much has changed in the line of urgents.

Investigations and optional quests are separate from each other. Optional quests are always there, they're just your normal regular quests, they don't rotate or anything. Investigations are slightly different. There are various ways you unlock investigations: the most usual way is going out in the world and collectiing footprints and other tracks from monsters; breaking certain parts of monsters can also lead to investigations being unlocked. When you're out in the world, a small notification will pop up notifying you that you have unlocked an investigation. When you go back to Astera, you can register your investigations at the research centre so you can then do them.

Things to note about investigations:
    • Once you register an investigation, you can then do the quest by going to the quest board as usual and select an investigation quest under investigations.
    • There are usually special limits set on them. This can be things like 'you can only faint once/twice', 'max 2 players only', '15 minute quest time', etc. The special conditions will be highlighted on the quest page.
    • There is a maximum amount of times you can do a certain investigation before it disappears. This is displayed next to investigation quest list. Don't worry though, unlocking new investigations is easy so much so that you'll have to delete ones you don't want. The maximum number of unregistered investigations you can have is 250. Once that's full, I assume you cannot unlock more until you delete some - I am not at all confident on that.
    • You'll notice on the investigation quests that there are bronze, silver and gold boxes near the bottom. These are additional rewards you can get by completing the quest, which are quite good for getting rarer items. The higher the colour, the better the chance for rarer rewards. Tip: do not bother with investigations with bronze rewards. Not worth it at all. Stick to silver and gold. Just delete ones with bronze rewards.
    • Just to reiterate, investigations are unlocked only, there is no rotation. There are literally hundreds of different ones to unlock, ranging from single hunts to multi hunts. You'll learn more about them as you progress through the story.
    Ok investigations done (finally... what's next). Research points! They're used for farming and trading mostly. Won't be available early game, you unlock and upgrade them as you go on. You can also use them in the canteen but honestly it's a pure waste, just use money.

No more stacking to get a skill :pac: That's what I meant in an earlier post when I said you no longer have to put in hard work to mix armours and jewels to get the set you want. It's weird to start off with, but it is so much easier to mix sets up now.

Capturing is exactly the same, except tranq bombs are now called tranq pods :pac:

One nice addition now though is that the more your research level of a monster increases, the more you learn about it. You can 'unlock' details about what elements and ailments a monster is weak to, what parts you can get and their carve/reward chances, etc.Takes a wee while but now you no longer need to consult the online wiki to see how rare X gem is or what element Y is weakest to. Won't be available to you immediately, as I said you unlock more info about a monster the more you hunt them.

Mantles are new to the game. They are very end game items and are quite a pain to get (big huge rigmarole to unlock them) but they're very useful and quite op. But you won't need to worry about them for a while.

*NB*Probably the biggest advice I can give is to check out GaijinHunter and ArekkzGaming on Youtube. They have so many videos on how to unlock certain things, information on certain mechanics, information on best way to unlock investigations, etc etc etc. Seriously, they should almost be paid by Capcom because of how useful their videos are.

Think I've covered everything. Drop me a PM if there's anything you're unsure of. One thing I'll say is though, your handler does get very annoying very quickly! Haha. And you're stuck with her forever!!

Knew I forgot something... tempered monsters. Again, very end game. Tempereds don't have increased health when compared to their normal high rank counterparts, but they hit like a nuke. Regardless of armour resistance and defence, many attacks will one shot you. Tempereds can only be hunted through investigations (apart from 2 urgent quests). Hunting elders gets you unique items which are used for various things end game, I won't mention specifics in case you don't want to it spoiled.

Jaysus m8, you could have waited for the morning. I passed out after posting my questions. The only day I can actually sleep was today as I had no ratty to drop off to school and no work, then misses woke me up at 7:30 to take out bins... I hate my life.

Thanks to you, I am up to speed with new things in MHW. Cheers bud.

I always used gaijin hunter in MH4 times. His guides are very damn good, specially weapon tutorials.
    Damn, how I did not coped on that Research points is the secondary currency for the farming bit lol. Feel a bit embarrassed lol.
    The research on monsters bit is fantastic. You are spot on with it. You dont need go to wiki anymore to get your info. It's very cool how it looks and works.

So tempered monsters are the G rank stuff for now. As I said, I haven't seen much yet, but from what I see right now, capcom didn't just build a new MH game, but they built a MH platform. Wouldn't be surprised to see it supported for very long time and be like one of these new ubisoft "games as service" things. I like that.

What size is the update on PS4?
    And am I right in saying the weekly reset for Events and Limited Bounties is tomorrow?

Jaysus m8, you could have waited for the morning. I passed out after posting my questions. The only day I can actually sleep was today as I had no ratty to drop off to school and no work, then misses woke me up at 7:30 to take out bins... I hate my life.

Thanks to you, I am up to speed with new things in MHW. Cheers bud.

I always used gaijin hunter in MH4 times. His guides are very damn good, specially weapon tutorials.
    Damn, how I did not coped on that Research points is the secondary currency for the farming bit lol. Feel a bit embarrassed lol.
    The research on monsters bit is fantastic. You are spot on with it. You dont need go to wiki anymore to get your info. It's very cool how it looks and works.

So tempered monsters are the G rank stuff for now. As I said, I haven't seen much yet, but from what I see right now, capcom didn't just build a new MH game, but they built a MH platform. Wouldn't be surprised to see it supported for very long time and be like one of these new ubisoft "games as service" things. I like that.

No bother at all, I like being helpful, haha. Yeah tempereds are pretty much the substitute for g-rank for now. Though there is strong hopes that down the line they will add g-rank proper!

DEVILJHO! Ok first off... ITS ARMOUR IS PURE SH#TE!!!! I was expecting a set bonus from it, but there isn't one! Speed eating, handicraft and latent power, but handicraft is only a secondary skill -> the beta sets don't even have it! WTF were they thinking??? I remember back in Tri when the Pickle made its debut -> handicraft, attack up M right off that bat (plus some useless skill, may have been speed eating). SERIOUSLY disappointed. Ain't gonna bother forging a single piece! Its LS and hammer on the other hand are on my wishlist!

OH I NEVER MENTIONED THE WISHLIST! The wishlist is amazing!!!!!!!!!

On the plus side though, they actually snuck in a really funny joke in its mini story plot. I ain't going to spoil it but I almost wet myself laughing!
    What size is the update on PS4?
    And am I right in saying the weekly reset for Events and Limited Bounties is tomorrow?

About 600MB if I remember. Yeah the resets are usually Friday. What time though I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

The daily reset seems to be 7pm Irish time.
    My missus still needs to kill 3x Elder Dragons for her 3rd weekly so will see if she gets it done after work.
    Also, think I need to do this weeks Arena Weekly Event, pretty sure I did last weeks.
    It was tempered Uragaan and Bezelprick right?

Advertisement