Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Later on, in High Rank you will have choices of each Armour set.
    Simply put, one version will have 2 perks or a 2 stack of 1 perk, the other will have 1 perk and a Jewel slot.
    You can put most jewels into most slots if you earn one you want, so you could specify your perks that way while still wearing full sets.

I 100% would not be too bothered with specc'ing up to that degree at low rank.
    Lumu coil + Legania helm + craft a Divine Blessing Tier 1 charm for Divine blessing tier 3 would be my advice, it makes you have to worry a bit less about your defence value.
    For context, you will probably finish low rank at about 180 defence. I'm at 415+ in High Rank now, it jumps quiet a bit during the early High Rank grind
    It all becomes useless after you fight Zorah Magdaros the 2nd time and a High Rank great Jagras set will outdo the "best" low Rank armour in terms of defence by about 1.5x
    There's a monster in Rotten vale that has a 2x tier set bonus, 1 tier for wearing 2 parts, and another level for wearing 4.

Investigations are just like that sometimes, a bit of RNG involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Okay, one more question. :D

Whats general idea with armour? I like having full sets of one armour, because the looks can really drive me ocd nuts. Never was a fan of power ranger sets, but am I right to say that MHW really encourages doing mix sets?

I like legiona set for evade window and divine blessing, but I use full rathian set and focuse on poison lance and poison+ damage right now. I know its only low rank and I shouldn't be bothered too much, but as I said, I am taking my time with game and enjoying it, while learning new changes.

Is there a way to get some more specific investigations? I captured two legianas in one expedition and collected any tracks I could find, but I got "kill 10 small pricks" instead.

I reached rotten valley just now and its very damn creepy. The monsters that greated me were waaaay more easier then what met me in reef. Love the design of Radobaan, but really easy as lance user, Legiana was more of threat by a lot! Then again, I got to the stage where I make even knickers out of poor legiana :pac:

Even if you have a mix match of armour just go to the pigmentation screen and make it all the one colour or set it up as you choose. I have a mix match of a couple of sets and when you make it all the one colour you would not know.

Also dont worry to much about the defense rating of the armour its the perks that are far more important, as you can upgrade any set of armour to max (obviously it will cost you more spheres then if you got a higher set)

The really late end game stuff is good but its ALL minus dragon stats which is a pain in the hoop as all you do is fight DRAGONS, you have to use charms or decorations to nullify that which could be used for better things like handicraft or affinty etc.

Val Hazaak 3 piece is very good as it heals you constantly even without the augmentation of health on kill. If you struggling with getting killed the DAMASCUS set is really strong but defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Even if you have a mix match of armour just go to the pigmentation screen and make it all the one colour or set it up as you choose. I have a mix match of a couple of sets and when you make it all the one colour you would not know.

Also dont worry to much about the defense rating of the armour its the perks that are far more important, as you can upgrade any set of armour to max (obviously it will cost you more spheres then if you got a higher set)

The really late end game stuff is good but its ALL minus dragon stats which is a pain in the hoop as all you do is fight DRAGONS, you have to use charms or decorations to nullify that which could be used for better things like handicraft or affinty etc.

Val Hazaak 3 piece is very good as it heals you constantly even without the augmentation of health on kill. If you struggling with getting killed the DAMASCUS set is really strong but defensive.

Thanks. I am not that new to this rodeo and I learned in mh4 to not put faith in to defence. Its more efficient to learn how not to get hit instead and increase you damage output. Late game monster can pretty much pretty much one shot you no matter what defence you rocking.
    I am lancer anyway, so guard or evade window will be my bedrock to stay alive.

Jewel spots still a thing so, it puts my doubts to rest so. Still possibility to tweek gear. I will focus on upgrading my weapons to have all elemental options.

I will focus on upgrading my weapons to have all elemental options.

In order of usability (just elemental damage alone) I'd proritise:
    -Thunder
    -Fire + Dragon (tie)
    -Water
    -Ice

Ice seems nigh on useless. Those that are 3x Star weak to Ice are usually 2x weak to something else.
    My Legania long sword gets very little use (but tbf, it has no jewel slots so thats a contributing factor)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

In order of usability (just elemental damage alone) I'd proritise:
    -Thunder
    -Fire + Dragon (tie)
    -Water
    -Ice

Ice seems nigh on useless. Those that are 3x Star weak to Ice are usually 2x weak to something else.
    My Legania long sword gets very little use (but tbf, it has no jewel slots so thats a contributing factor)

Don't discount non elemental weapons though. Some of the best weapons in the game are non elemental Diablos weapons (mainly bow, hammer and charge blade), because they have the highest raw damage and you can couple them with a non-elemental-boost jewel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

What's up with unlocking an element? Does the weapon just straight up get that buff? Or do you lose out on some raw damage or anything?

Rob2D wrote: »
    What's up with unlocking an element? Does the weapon just straight up get that buff? Or do you lose out on some raw damage or anything?

Unlocking an element is different in World than before. Before once you got the skill to awaken a hidden element, that was it. Now however it's slightly different because there are 3 tiers to the skill. With one point in the skill, you unlock 33% of a weapon's hidden element. With two points, you unlock 66% and with thee points, you unlock 100%.

So say for example you have a weapon and it has 300 elemental damage. One point will give the weapon 100 elemental damage, two points 200 and three points will fully unlock all 300.

It has no effect on raw damage. The skill required btw is called "FreeElem/AmmoUp". The ammo up part is for bowguns, it increases the loading capacity.

Guys, in lw rank big chunks of map not open?

In one mission stumbled on Odogaran, kicked the bejaysus out of it and it just went in to some greyed out area. There was red cross on the minimap to the entrance to that are where he fecked off. Was really annoyed.

Met Diablos for the first time during expedition last night. Still a bastard and still dead, again. :D

Odogaron is one of the few monsters that "fast travels" around the map using points you can't follow him through. If you bring up the map manually and you have tracked him sufficiently, you can manually put your scoutflies waypoint on him again.

You know once you have a monster adequately researched, you can see in the mini-map when they are capable once they have a Skull flashing next to them.
    But even if you have researched a monster to level 6 (max) you still have to grab at least one footprint to gain this info every fight. Took us ages to realise that. So always grab at least one footprint each quest

Odogaron is one of the few monsters that "fast travels" around the map using points you can't follow him through. If you bring up the map manually and you have tracked him sufficiently, you can manually put your scoutflies waypoint on him again.

You know once you have a monster adequately researched, you can see in the mini-map when they are capable once they have a Skull flashing next to them.
    But even if you have researched a monster to level 6 (max) you still have to grab at least one footprint to gain this info every fight. Took us ages to realise that. So always grab at least one footprint each quest

So I was still able to reach him? He was in greyed out area. The entrance to area was blocked off and had a red cross on entrance. Or was he in some elevated area then? Coral reef and Rotten vale has only few areas highlighted for me even if I go to expedition.

That research you get on monsters, does it degrade over time? I could swear its going down over time.

• Advertisement

Yup. It's good practice to always collect footprints anyway cos it can unlock more investigations, this is especially important for tempered tracks.

That being said, I must have at least 20 investigations unlocked now from just Deviljho tracks and not one of those investigations has been a Deviljho one! Goddamn Pickle trolling me :mad:

So I was still able to reach him? He was in greyed out area. The entrance to area was blocked off and had a red cross on entrance. Or was he in some elevated area then? Coral reef and Rotten vale has only few areas highlighted for me even if I go to expedition.

That research you get on monsters, does it degrade over time? I could swear its going down over time.

I think they do kind of limit things map wise a bit until you hit High Rank, I remember finding something similar in my early visits to the vale, but not sure if it was more a thing of I hadn't found a secret side passage to get into that area from another side. Sometimes monsters break parts of the walls down to barging through, but usually you can squeez through those areas anyway

All that matters is the getting them up a full rank, partial ranks don't matter.
    Normally, 3 fights = 2 rank ups.

If I was you, I'd just bee-line finishing the assignments at this stage tbh, you can't have more than ~5 missions / 3 hours left.

Reminder guys 'n' gals, weekly bounties reset tonight at midnight. So you've just over 4 hours left to complete this week's if you haven't already! Gotta get them golden tickets folks! Sadly for those of you not high enough, ye won't be able to avail of some of the higher end bounties just yet, so get grinding!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've just started out, and the Barroth is proving harder than I expected... Which is embarrassing!

Star Lord wrote: »
    I've just started out, and the Barroth is proving harder than I expected... Which is embarrassing!

Yeah you're right, it is...

Lol just kidding. Funnily enough it was Barroth that caused my very first cart in World.

It would be embarrassing if it was Great Jagras you were struggling with :p

Bounty reset in T-minus 15 guys 'n' gals! I have to go out gathering coral bones for a while. Ugh. NOPE, released at 1am.. Sigh.

This week's bounties:
    1. Hunt 3 Bird Wyverns
    2. Clear 5 Quests in the Rotten Vale
    3. Hunt 4 B-52 Attack Bombers (aka Bazelguese)

If you have a B-52 investigation in the Rotten Vale, you can kill 2 Pukei-Pukeis with 1 stone (Get it? Pukei-Pukei? Cos it's a bird wyvern? And that old saying "kill 2 birds with 1 stone"?...... I'll shut up now)

jaxxx wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, it is...

Lol just kidding. Funnily enough it was Barroth that caused my very first cart in World.

It would be embarrassing if it was Great Jagras you were struggling with :p

Ha! Nope, my first triple cart... :o
    First cart was Pukei-Pukei, because I *thought* I'd taken my antidote after getting poisoned, but was paying too much attention to the monster, and didn't notice my health still slipping down...

Great Jagras was just a slightly irritable marshmallow! Same with everything up to the Barroth tbh!

First cart was Pukei-Pukei, because I *thought* I'd taken my antidote after getting poisoned, but was paying too much attention to the monster, and didn't notice my health still slipping down...

Great Jagras was just a slightly irritable marshmallow! Same with everything up to the Barroth tbh!

Nice to see one more hunter who is late to the party. :D

As much as I dont want to admit Baroth carted me once when I met him, he was my first. :pac: I kind of even felt dumb lol, how did that happened, to me?! To me?!??!?!?! But nah, I am not that good
    I almost got carted 3 times last night for the first time. Was my friend odogaran. Damn bastard got help from those little paralyzing yolks. In fact they did a number on all 3 of so there. So imagine pictire: me, palico, massive monster laying there in our drool while small dirty geckons punching me to my death. :pac:
    I was pissed. Came back kicked everyone's arse and captured big red arse too.

Took advice here and did a few more main quests and skiped for now optionals. Now we never play Monster hunter for story. Most of the time its not a story, but just an excuse to put fine leather on your arse and wave massive sticks at even bigger Lizards with attitude problems.
    In MHW story is pretty cool and makes sense so far. I really digging it.

Oh yeah, met my first Rathalos. I absolutely destroyed poor thing. Didn't even used any healing items outside what palico threw at me. Broke everything on poor things body and captured its arse. Felt a bit bad.... for a second. :D

Failef my first quest. Kirin can eat a bag of dicks.

Yup. Low Rank Kirin is one of the 1st real skill/gear checks

• Advertisement

Yup. Low Rank Kirin is one of the 1st real skill/gear checks

Wearing full rathian with -10 lightning res did not help. :pac:

Honestly, it's just one of those fights with a sh!t tonne of waiting around for him to stop doing annoying cr@p.
    I wouldn't be too fussed about fighting him if you still have Assigned quests to wrap up to get to high rank, you can come back a bit tankier later,

I take some pride in the fact that it took a tempered Deviljho to be the first to triple cart me! In fact it's the only one. Granted I have abandoned a few quests from the b*st*rd mentioned below after 2 carts, but technically it's never tripled me :p
    Wearing full rathian with -10 lightning res did not help. :pac:

Ouch :eek: Kirin is my kryptonite... I have always hated the b*st*rd! And yet visually it's a quite beautiful monster in its own right!

Another heads up guys. From April 6th to the 19th, the Spring Blossom festival begins (the Gathering Hub will look very pretty!) but the important thing is that ALL previous event quests will be available! So make use of it while you can!

Okay, I think officially I am in hr. Did the 6 star quest today.
    Got a quest for expedition after and so far all items in there give hr recourses. Still couldn't figure out what to do there as I couldn't trigger the quests. Instead collected bits and pieces. Got carted by Hr Diablos, so to take my revenge I captired Hr Barroth. Shut up, it makes sense for me. :D

Will try to go in there again and collect more stuff while trying to find the quest trigger.
    I got hr parts for Barroth, but still don't get an option to make the set. Can upgrade to level 5 weapons though. Start seeing jewel slots.

Mid way completing this week's bounties and got onto Bazelguese (4 hunts) or as I like to call him, 'Cancer Face' (cos I had it and so I can make jokes about it and... nvm). Anyway first two times I played like a noob. One hunt 12 minutes, the other 14. Next 8, which was a very very average time at best. At this point I'm just so full of rage towards that c*nt and myself for playing like an effing idiot. 4th and final hunt: 3:23. GET REKT YOU B*TCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moral of the story is: DON'T P*SS ME OFF!

That was one f**king big Kulu ah ku

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ysj6c2boC6GarFvMah34e6VviZeaoKB6QWovWLSGlsY/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true#

Handy for melding so you can see how many jewels you have that are excessive

It's funny, in any MH game in the past if you told me I could solo an Elder Dragon in less than 10 minutes I would have looked at you funny. Now I'm p*ssed off with myself when it takes more than 5 minutes (final Elder excluded of course but my best time with that one is 8 minutes, and the best pros I've seen take 6 minutes so I'll take that). 3 tempered Teostras today... 13 minutes, and 2 8 minutes runs. UGH!

Stumbled upon this by chance. Made me lol.

• Advertisement

My next stumbling block, the Anjanath. Had no problem with others between, and took down a Rathian that I stumbled across on an expedition, but Anjanath triple carted me, twice... Going to have to grind some better weapons or armour, or git good

Advertisement