Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 employ me

Is there only 1 assessment centre location? Do they seriously expect everyone to go to Dublin??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cedric87 wrote:
    Anyone know if the call takers are provided with a uniform ?

No uniform. Currently working in GISC in Castlebar and it's casual wear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sonas93 wrote: »
    I read somewhere previously that training takes a month full time mon-fri, I am not sure if its paid.

Training is for 4 weeks, first two weeks is in a training room getting used to the PULSE system.

Next 2 weeks you're out on the floor taking calls but supervised.

After that you join one of the teams and go on shift cycle. Work is monitored and all your incidents are checked by your supervisors for the next six months.

Training is paid at base salary rate (no shift allowances etc) That comes when you go on cycle.

Note: All above info is regarding Castlebar centre.

Anyone has any questions as such about stuff I'll try to answer, been there since September myself. Shift work is tough but you do get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 colfah

How many staff are they looking for I castle bar

colfah wrote: »
    How many staff are they looking for I castle bar

Not certain tbh. Between 3/4 staff have come in through transfers etc each month since last June. My group was the largest intake with about 8 people.

Previously there was a shortage and it was tough to get time off. Transferring out was near impossible but it's all changed now. I'd say the intention is to have the panel there for 2 years anyways so they can replace retirements/transfers and get staff up to acceptable levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

basic salary is around 500 a week is that correct ? trying to see if i can afford to leave my job for this. what are the shift starting times ? is there an allowance for Sundays and bank holidays. beside the 25% shift is there any other allowance. thanks in advance

Cedric87 wrote: »
    basic salary is around 500 a week is that correct ? trying to see if i can afford to leave my job for this. what are the shift starting times ? is there an allowance for Sundays and bank holidays. beside the 25% shift is there any other allowance. thanks in advance

Basic salary is the CO base rate, plus if already in Civil Service any increments accrued. When you start on shift, you get the 25% shift allowance.

Double time is paid for Sundays and Public Holidays.

The core roster operate on a 6 day, 10hr cycle.

You would do two morning starts - 8am-6pm.
    Then two afternoon starts - 2pm-12 midnight.
    And finally the overnights which start at 10pm - 8am.
    Off for 4 days then and back on for the cycle to start again.

On Sundays you only work 8 hrs which the shifts are: 8-4, 4-10, 12-8.

AL is 22 days per year plus the public holidays which you can take at any stage.

thank you so ill carry over my increments from my current job that's excellent. thank you for your information

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

When I applied the shift cycle was 4 days on with a 7am start and 4 days off. 4 nights on and 4 nights off.Did I dream that?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeanoG14

I think the Core Roster for Castlebar is different to the rest of the country. I'm open to correction on this, but I recall reading something on it in the familiarisation booklet.

• Advertisement

OK that explains it so

New competition up on Public Jobs for control room operator with AGS. 4 x 12 hour shifts on & 4 days off, with 25% shift allowance + Sunday & bank holiday allowances when rostered. Standard civil service starting scale of €438 gross p/w. Positions in:

Ah ok, I was referring to Core Roster.

What they're advertising there is available in Castlebar as well, and shifts as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bettyblaa

I got mid 70s in Waterford. Is there any idea how many will be taking on? Not sure if its worth day off work with short notice for stage 2 if there isn't a real chance of getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Necrominus wrote: »
    Basic salary is the CO base rate, plus if already in Civil Service any increments accrued. When you start on shift, you get the 25% shift allowance.

Double time is paid for Sundays and Public Holidays.

The core roster operate on a 6 day, 10hr cycle.

You would do two morning starts - 8am-6pm.
    Then two afternoon starts - 2pm-12 midnight.
    And finally the overnights which start at 10pm - 8am.
    Off for 4 days then and back on for the cycle to start again.

On Sundays you only work 8 hrs which the shifts are: 8-4, 4-10, 12-8.

AL is 22 days per year plus the public holidays which you can take at any stage.

Is that only the public holidays you worked which you can take at a later stage? Or also those that fall on your days off?

sonas93 wrote:
    Is that only the public holidays you worked which you can take at a later stage? Or also those that fall on your days off?

Nope. Entitled to both

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sweetcake

If there are 170 called to stage 2 does your oom in stage 1 get disregarded going forward or does it get added to stage 2 results for a final panel number? Im confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

After stage 2 your OOM will change and thats what they base hiring decisions on.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone would have a copy of the information booklet for the competition, have been called to stage 2 and just wanted to have a look over it??

is this the correct basic pay scale ?

Clerical Officer
    22,879 – 24,375 – 24,756 – 25,498 – 26,592 – 27,684 – 28,777 – 29,869 – 30,931 – 31,995 – 32,743 – 33,795 – 34,840 – 36,471 – 37,753¹ – 38,341²

• Registered Users Posts: 36 A91

Hi, does anybody know if an interview will take place the same day as assessments?

• Advertisement

interviews will be after stage 2 results are sent out, you'll get an invite to stage 3 interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mmullen1983

just scraped through for stage two!Anybody got any advice to move up the oom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oliolioli

Does anybody else find the verbal reasoning frustrating? I've done the practice 10 times and the best I've got is 4/6. Usually get 2 or 3/6. I wish there was somewhere they'd tell you why you got what you got!

Oliolioli wrote: »
    Does anybody else find the verbal reasoning frustrating? I've done the practice 10 times and the best I've got is 4/6. Usually get 2 or 3/6. I wish there was somewhere they'd tell you why you got what you got!

Very frustrating. There are some questions that in my opinion need explanation as to why you chose the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AGS2017

Passed all three tests and selected Dublin as my location. Any guesses as to likelihood of more people being called for Dublin?
    170 people appear to be called forward for Dublin, but I’m in 250’s plus.
    Surprised by how few are being called forward for Dublin, when 200 plus are being called forward in Galway. You’d think they’d need more as many in Dublin given population etc?
    Would I be as well off to forget about this campaign given my placing of 250 in Dublin? How many jobs are going in Dublin?
    Necrominus – You mention about people transferring out, do you mean people took the jobs and transferred to similar grades elsewhere in the civil or public service?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

I’m currently high on the oom for galway and Castlebar, am based in Mayo and recently found full time employment.
    I think it’s a complete joke that I would need to take a full day off, about 8 hours travelling, the cost etc ...
    All to do 17min of tests!!! Not sure if it’s worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mmullen1983

piobhan wrote: »
    I’m currently high on the oom for galway and Castlebar, am based in Mayo and recently found full time employment.
    I think it’s a complete joke that I would need to take a full day off, about 8 hours travelling, the cost etc ...
    All to do 17min of tests!!! Not sure if it’s worth it
    And back up for interviews if sucessful after stage 2.Its a long spin... but "if your not in it you cant win it ". I didnt place high... just scraped through but i might be lucky enough to get through to stage 3!

AGS2017 wrote: »
    Necrominus – You mention about people transferring out, do you mean people took the jobs and transferred to similar grades elsewhere in the civil or public service?

Yep, transfer to different departments etc. that might be closer to home - or simply because they've been here for so long and fancy a change from shift work :)

I myself have put in for a transfer back to my home county but will have to serve another 18 months before I'm eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ted2015

Necrominus wrote: »
    Training is for 4 weeks, first two weeks is in a training room getting used to the PULSE system.

Next 2 weeks you're out on the floor taking calls but supervised.

After that you join one of the teams and go on shift cycle. Work is monitored and all your incidents are checked by your supervisors for the next six months.

Training is paid at base salary rate (no shift allowances etc) That comes when you go on cycle.

Note: All above info is regarding Castlebar centre.

Anyone has any questions as such about stuff I'll try to answer, been there since September myself. Shift work is tough but you do get used to it.

Just wondering would you have any idea how long the recruitment process may take after you finish stage 2 to actually beginning the position? thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement

Ted2015 wrote: »
    Just wondering would you have any idea how long the recruitment process may take after you finish stage 2 to actually beginning the position? thanks in advance :)

I don't sadly. I was part of the 2016 CO competition. Started September 2017 so it does take a while.

Now in saying that I could have started in June but I had holidays organised.

Did my stage 2 in November 2016, had the interview in February 2017. Got offered the position in April and then had to undergo garda vetting which takes a little longer for these positions.

Going off that about 6 months... BUT, that was CO and this is a more specified competition so could be quicker. Depends on your order of merit position really.

Hope that helps :)

Advertisement