Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

rache611 wrote: »
    I just got my offer for Dublin! Finally!

Excellent, best wishes with the new start. When you starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rache611

paulbolg wrote: »
    Excellent, best wishes with the new start. When you starting?

Thank you! 2nd of November. Can't believe it. It's been such a long road! XD

rache611 wrote: »
    Thank you! 2nd of November. Can't believe it. It's been such a long road! XD

Brilliant, best wishes with the new start and we will see you next month

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Hi there! Could anyone tell me the difference between control room call taker and a dispatcher?
    I was recently on a interview panel for dispatch but was taken off last minute. Now I see expression of interest are invited for Control room call taker. Just wondering if I should go for it or not?

Hi there! Could anyone tell me the difference between control room call taker and a dispatcher?
    I was recently on a interview panel for dispatch but was taken off last minute. Now I see expression of interest are invited for Control room call taker. Just wondering if I should go for it or not?

Hi,

Everyone who starts there starts off as a calltaker and then you could be eligable to apply for a dispatchers position. The calltakers role is to take the calls, input the relevant details of the incident and categorise them and the priority. It is then the dispatchers job to get units to scene. It takes time to get used to the system, the surroundings, the areas covered. Absolutly go for it if thats what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Hi,

Everyone who starts there starts off as a calltaker and then you could be eligable to apply for a dispatchers position. The calltakers role is to take the calls, input the relevant details of the incident and categorise them and the priority. It is then the dispatchers job to get units to scene. It takes time to get used to the system, the surroundings, the areas covered. Absolutly go for it if thats what you want.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realise that there was a difference in the roles. I imagined that the one person dealt with the call/situation untill it was cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Interesting they are now looking internally to help fill these roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

Interesting they are now looking internally to help fill these roles.

They looked to fill the dispatcher positions internally back in July (this was a garda role) not sure if there was much interest. It does carry €2000 allowance. It's not much use to anyone trying to get off shift work.

The clerical roles are transfers also, again location and shift work will be the issue for a fair few people.

Go for it, the experience with the interview will be beneficial if nothing else and if you get it you can decide then if you want it.
    Once there with 2 yrs service you can apply for the dispatcher role.

You must have 2 yrs service now if you qualify for the clerical role transfer ?

Madelyn wrote: »
    They looked to fill the dispatcher positions internally back in July (this was a garda role) not sure if there was much interest. It does carry €2000 allowance. It's not much use to anyone trying to get off shift work.

The clerical roles are transfers also, again location and shift work will be the issue for a fair few people.

This was general call taker. Went out to all the COs this morning so I'm told.

• Advertisement

This was general call taker. Went out to all the COs this morning so I'm told.

It is for 999 calls in control room.

Anyone here in cork control room?

Anyone here in cork control room?

Youd hope they wouldn't be on boards while they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kojakmul

Hi there, thinking of applying, weighing out options at the minute and wondering what people think of the job? What does the wage work out at with the shift allowance included etc? Just working it out as I have a mortgage and travel expenses to take into consideration. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bubbles223

Hi

For the garda control room operator jobs.

Do you wear a uniform or get a badge or how does it work?

Would this help with going for the garda in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Bubbles223 wrote: »
    Hi

Why would you want a badge?

Witcher wrote: »
    Why would you want a badge?

Just wondering because it garda job.

I am curious how it works is all.

Or do u get a swipe card or can wear basic clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Bubbles223 wrote: »
    Hi

Only someone in the job will be able to tell you for sure..

However! I have two friends who work with the National Ambulance Service (employed by the HSE) both as call takers and both of them were given a N.A.S badge when they started and they also wear a N.A.S uniform. This role may be similar in that regard, although I couldn't tell you for sure..

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realise that there was a difference in the roles. I imagined that the one person dealt with the call/situation untill it was cleared.

Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

It's a smart casual dress code and you don't get a garda badge as you are a civilian member of staff, not a garda. You will recieve an ID card stating the same.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be surprised if a uniform is introduced eventually. No badge though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dalmighty

Hi does anyone have any insight into job/wage scales etc!? Finding it difficult to find info

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

Dalmighty wrote: »
    Hi does anyone have any insight into job/wage scales etc!? Finding it difficult to find info

It's Clerical officer salary scale, with 25% shift allowance, and extra payments if you work sundays or bank holidays.

facade wrote: »
    It's Clerical officer salary scale, with 25% shift allowance, and extra payments if you work sundays or bank holidays.

Is there not even extra payment for working nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

job seeker wrote: »
    Is there not even extra payment for working nights?

Yes, that is what the 25% shift allowance is for

facade wrote: »
    Yes, that is what the 25% shift allowance is for

Okay, I assumed that was for working Sundays and bank holidays only. Thanks for the clarity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

Looking for some information about this position, if anyone currently working in it would PM me I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sheepgobaa

No uniform, clothing is smart casual, no badge either! :) Shift allowance is as explained above, regular of 25% and then extra allowances for Sunday and Bank Holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TP2021

Has any one completed the interview yet for gisc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mrscoco30

TP2021 wrote: »
    Has any one completed the interview yet for gisc?

There is a newer thread for the current competition...Not sure how to share link sorry!

Advertisement