Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas cross city line

Options
  • 08-12-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭

Cycled into town this evening to see what all the fuss is about the Luas tracks around Dame Street.

First impression is that they are certainly challenging for anyone not used to tram tracks. I cycled up O Connell Street towards Parnell Street and I found turning right off Parnell Street onto Parnell Square West the most challenging as you have to cope with the traffic, the tram tracks and the cobbles!

It was also a new experience turning left at the bottom of Dawson Street and heading down to Dame street! That's been a one way Street in the opposite direction for as long as I can remember!

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for people to get used to the new Street layout.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

At least 1 incident in the first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

07Lapierre wrote: »
    turning right off Parnell Street onto Parnell Square West the most challenging

Fúckin lethal.

Props to the coach driver who gave me rakes of space on college green today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You would think they know by now how slippy cobbles can be – yet the obsession continues!

“They look so nice, and give a olde world asthethic to modern infastructure”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I found turning right off Parnell Street onto Parnell Square West the most challenging as you have to cope with the traffic, the tram tracks and the cobbles!

I have the Strava KOM along Parnell Square West, so with the track and cobbles there now, I don't think it will ever be beaten :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the topic of the DCC meeting on monday.
    Luas Cross City and Cycling
    Monday, December 11, 2017
    8pm, Central Hotel, Exchequer Street

The Luas Cross City is a boon for Dublin city, but what does it mean for people who cycle along or across this route? Cycling and on-street tram tracks is a safety issue all over the world. In general, cyclists learn fast, and realise that they must take greater care around the tracks, and ideally cross them at as close to a right angle as possible, while at the same time be aware of surrounding traffic.

Dublin Cycling Campaign have received numerous stories and reports of cycling crashes / incidents over the past months, some of them quite serious. Our December public meeting will discuss the impact for cyclists and whether changes are needed to make the route safer for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DCC are going to have to put rubber in the tracks. But it will take a number of bad injuries and maybe even worse before they actually realise it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

btw, DCC in my post meant dublin cycling campaign; i assume you're referring to dublin city council?
    i'm not sure how easy it is to retrofit the tracks with that rubber, but i doubt it would be DCC's responsibility, they don't operate the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Muahahaha wrote: »
    DCC are going to have to put rubber in the tracks. But it will take a number of bad injuries and maybe even worse before they actually realise it.

That stuff was tested and found to not last very long. Would need regular replacing and Transdev will in their arse pay to do it every fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Makes more sense for cyclists step up and improve their roadcraft, like they do in other cities with tram systems.

Nothing like going on your ear to improve your muscle memory.

i've no muscles in my ear.

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Makes more sense for cyclists step up and improve their roadcraft, like they do in other cities with tram systems.

No, makes sense to have planned it far better from the outset, but you know this.

It's a great success, but it's also a massively mismanaged project in many respects from inception to present day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Like in Manchester and Edinburgh where cyclists have been killed after falling on tram tracks? Do you really think they would still be alive if they had perfected the bunny-hop?

Cycling in cities should be safe for everyone, not just a small minority who think roadcraft will save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Makes you wonder how there are so many car crashes nowadays.....you'd think everyone would have learned to drive by now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ED E wrote: »
    Fúckin lethal.

Props to the coach driver who gave me rakes of space on college green today.

I think the safest way to cycle from College Green to Parnell Square is to cycle right smack in the middle of the lane. When you need to cross the tracks, slow down (and make sure the cars behind you have slowed), then make the turn at as near to 90 degrees as possible.

Makes you wonder how there are so many car crashes nowadays.....you'd think everyone would have learned to drive by now :rolleyes:
    well, the crashes would help people be better drivers.

All the mindless hysteria on the internet wont change the fact that Dublin city centre is safe to cycle in ( if you're a competent, responsible, civic minded cyclist ) and the Luas extension is great addition to all walks of life here.

You can whinge all you like but those are the facts.

As I live off Parnell Square, I pass that junction at least once a day, in all weathers. Taking the lane early and crossing at a good angle and keeping left on the square works best for all conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Never had any issues with the tracks myself. Agree that the city center is perfectly safe to cycle in, albeit painfully slow at times owing to the volume of slow moving cars.

It doesn't mean that's it's not poorly laid out.

It's not hysteria or whinging. Many flaws were pointed out very early and either dismissed or ignored entirely.

There'll be far more who don't live right beside it, who are perhaps more casual cyclists who will be injured as a result of poor design that forces you to cross at an angle that you just shouldn't.

Ive never had an issue with them either, I just don't think its right to dismiss genuine concerns so flippantly because you're okay with it

As I live off Parnell Square, I pass that junction at least once a day, in all weathers. Taking the lane early and crossing at a good angle and keeping left on the square works best for all conditions.
    you're a confident, experienced cyclist and you're able to deal with it; and that's great. but it's not that sort of cyclist who'll generally have trouble with it. it's the occasional dublin-bike using, or what have you, sort of cyclist, who'll more likely come a cropper - and it should have been part of the design brief to deal with that factor - and not simply stick up lazy 'cyclists dismount' signs which is an institutional way of doing a pontius pilate on the issue.

you're a confident, experienced cyclist and you're able to deal with it; and that's great. but it's not that sort of cyclist who'll generally have trouble with it. it's the occasional dublin-bike using, or what have you, sort of cyclist, who'll more likely come a cropper - and it should have been part of the design brief to deal with that factor - and not simply stick up lazy 'cyclists dismount' signs which is an institutional way of doing a pontius pilate on the issue.

Spare me the melodrama Magicbastarder

As the MD of Transdev said this week, in his experience, all tram projects he has worked on throughout the world, cyclists don't have a problem and soon adapt.

Whats so different about Dublin? Not much as it turns out.

You can google his remarks in the Irish Times.

• Advertisement

As the MD of Transdev said this week, in his experience, all tram projects he has worked on throughout the world, cyclists don't have a problem and soon adapt.

That's not what he said though,

What he said was cyclists were not discussed in most cities... That's very different.

And as has been pointed out, it's a lie. Edinburgh and Manchester have had issues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,602 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He lied.
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/12/08/luas-company-comments-on-cycling-false-and-dismissive-says-campaigners/

i live on the projected path of metro north. i'll check back in here when it's completed and i will have some empirical data to report on how i have fared with light rail lines. that said, by then my bike will probably be artificially intelligent and i will have been asleep on it when the lines were traversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Or at least was misinformed. Even Amsterdam deals with cycling injuries caused by tram tracks according to something I read this morning.

When laying the revised track layout at Middle Abbey /O’Connell St, they didn’t even bother to put the tarmac level /seamless with the concete the track is encased in. Instead it’s lower/bumpy which just makes it a little bit harder on cyclists. How difficult is it to get it flush?

i guess others got there before me, but citing the person with possibly the most interest in downplaying the concerns, is not a way of convincing me there are none.

i guess others got there before me, but citing the person with possibly the most interest in downplaying the concerns, is not a way of convincing me there are none.

It’s like comical Ali in BaghdadGulf War II!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

How right you are...In the article Mr Transdev also said that he regards taxis as Public Tansport.

Well,he would, wouldn't he as according to this link https://www.transdev.com/en/Business/transport-demand

"With a solid presence on the taxi market in the United States, Transdev is the biggest operator in Baltimore, Denver, Pittsburg, and Kansas City. In Europe, its Dutch subsidiary Connexion Taxi is the leader in the Netherlands, with 30% of the market. Transdev is also a partner of taxi companies in Sweden and France".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,602 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or at least was misinformed.

If you put yourself out there as an industry expert, you would be expected to have the relevant information to hand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

well, the crashes would help people be better drivers.

That is like saying that it would be drier if it rained less.

Advertisement