Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army coup to take place in Dublin today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Soldier with 32 years service here (and still serving) with a number of oversea's tours done.

Its warming to see the support here, its not something serving members see too often (neither from Joe Public or Leinster House).

That's it, thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Soldier with 32 years service here (and still serving) with a number of oversea's tours done.

Its warming to see the support here, its not something serving members see too often (neither from Joe Public or Leinster House).

That's it, thank you

thank you for your service.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Ditto.

Almost 18 years done and currently serving overseas. Another Christmas away but I love the job, its always come first ahead of everything else.

Ditto.

Almost 18 years done and currently overseas. Another Christmas away but I love the job, its always come first ahead of everything else.

Been there, done that and on duty tonight actually (another €20 in the bank lol).

Christmas oversea's is bitter sweet, hope you've a good one.

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Seriously, the Irish army couldn't fight their way out of an under 16 GAA disco.

No one told Paddy O'Connell and his men who fought off heavily armed renegades in Jadotville, the Congo back in 1960 despite being grossly outnumbered.

Just because we dont fight wars doesnt mean our men not well trained. Looks like they will have to join conflicts soon now that our politicians sold them out :mad:

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Ah yes, where the well trained modern European army surrendered to a group of poorly trained natives and a few mercenaries, where the co failed to push an early tactical advantage that would have broken the attack and instead allowed the enemy to regroup.

Not the best of examples

Complete ignorance. Where you there yourself? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I was reading the thread from the beginning and thinking there has been a real change over the last few decades in how we are viewed by the public. I think if you were to look through threads on boards when it began you'd see a marked difference.

PDF, or the Irish in general, don't go for the entire bigging up our own image bit but it's heartening to get a bit of common respect.At the end of anyone's day that respect did not come easily or cheap.

It also heartening to hear how many people have taken an interest in finding out about what the PDF do as opposed to listening to urban myths.

Happy Christmas to the lads overseas and slain abhaile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Nice bit of an aul coup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

thank you for your service.

Ah here, I'm one of the biggest supporters of the Defence Forces on boards, but fcuk off with this cringey American shyte.

If you want to support them, make some noise about the appalling pay and conditions in the DF at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Allinall wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be sorry you posted that.

No, I'd say he'll be delighted with whatever reaction he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Odhinn wrote:
    No, I'd say he'll be delighted with whatever reaction he gets.

Seems his nonsense was dealt with, rightly so.

Ah here, I'm one of the biggest supporters of the Defence Forces on boards, but fcuk off with this cringey American shyte.

it's not "american crap" to thank someone for their service, something i have done right from the very start since joining boards. if you have an issue with that, complain to the mods. maybe more people should learn to give a bit of respect for our public service workers, it would do them some good.
    If you want to support them, make some noise about the appalling pay and conditions in the DF at the moment.

how do you know that i'm not. are you making any noise on the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Couldn't agree more......hope as a country we're not going to go down the road of clapping in airports, hotel lobbies etc every time a member of the DF passes.

Agitate to ensure they get a decent wage (no one in the DF should ever have to rely on a SW payment), have decent and appropriate quarters, and decent kit, and make a generous donation to ONE every year if you to "honor service."

Jawgap wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more......hope as a country we're not going to go down the road of clapping in airports, hotel lobbies etc every time a member of the DF passes.

we aren't. so you have nothing to worry about.

Agitate to ensure they get a decent wage (no one in the DF should ever have to rely on a SW payment), have decent and appropriate quarters, and decent kit, and make a generous donation to ONE every year if you to "honor service."

Bit of an overreaction there lads tbh. No issue with anyone thanking the army for their service because there is a certain level of risk involved with their role. Yes, they might be peacekeeping but two soldiers were killed in the leb before.

Saluting and all is nonsense ill agree but a thank you is hardly cringey now. No harm. The poster is entitled to do what he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Bit of an overreaction there lads tbh. No issue with anyone thanking the army for their service because there is a certain level of risk involved with their role. Yes, they might be peacekeeping but two soldiers were killed in the leb before.

Saluting and all is nonsense ill agree but a thank you is hardly cringey now. No harm. The poster is entitled to do what he wants

Um, 47 Irish soldiers have been killed in Lebanon...

First time I was there we lost four. And that was in just one six month tour. There was a few Fijian and Nepalese peace keepers killed in action too, but they weren't in our area of operations. However they were UNIFIL and in the same region serving under the same UN flag as us.

Thankfully there's a generation of children in Lebanon now who have never known war, but back in the 80's when I was first there the war was every bit as bad as Syria and similar wars and we were piggy in the middle between the Israeli's, the South Lebanese Army (christians), Hezbollah and Amal ~ and we were attacked by them all regularly too.

It was a very nasty kip back then, but I loved it and couldn't wait to get back out when I came home.

Um, 47 Irish soldiers have been killed in Lebanon...

Sh1t!!!! :eek: Honestly hadnt realised it was that many.... :(

We're not going down that road, we're not Americans. That crap is designed to brainwash soldiers into believing they're doing a good thing, their country treats them like hero's with the clapping, free entry into theater shows etc ~ then its easier to return those same troops back out into the field to kill humans again.

'Thank you for your service' is nice, but a decent wage would be nicer :p

When you're paid an allowance of €20 for performing a 24 hour duty doesn't make you feel your service is appreciated. Security Duty Allowance is the same as over time paid to a civilian.

Anyway the exercise yesterday. People would be surprised by just how much training all branches of the defence forces in preparation for all eventualities.

We're a tiny DF, way under funded and punching way above our weight.

I've loved the life, and my family has had members in military service since my great grandfather served with the RDF in WWI.. I'm the last in the line, none of my children will serve. There's no one in my family following me into military service ~ they both got real job :p

That's a bit of tongue in cheek. I didn't encourage them to join. I've always had to work two jobs to make ends meet and I didn't want that for my kids. They're both very successful in their chosen careers thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Served there in the 70s, 80s and 90s.
    Everyone's target those times, from the IDF to the common criminal gunmen in the Tyre Pocket who ambushed us for fun.
    The French, Fijians and Nepalese were being killed daily by all sides, and we lost 48 good men through the years.
    The Lebanese were the only people who ever thanked us for our work, and being part-winners of the Nobel Peace Prize for peacekeeping went un-noticed at home. but hey...we expected no kudos from mother Ireland and weren't disappointed.

Oh yes, but we did get a reward.
    We got to clean the streets of filthy Dublin when the bin collectors 'took a break.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Served there in the 70s, 80s and 90s.
    Everyone's target those times, from the IDF to the common criminal gunmen in the Tyre Pocket who ambushed us for fun.
    The French, Fijians and Nepalese were being killed daily by all sides, and we lost 48 good men through the years.
    The Lebanese were the only people who ever thanked us for our work, and being part-winners of the Nobel Peace Prize for peacekeeping went un-noticed at home. but hey...we expected no kudos from mother Ireland and weren't disappointed.

Oh yes, but we did get a reward.
    We got to clean the streets of filthy Dublin when the bin collectors 'took a break.'
    Must have served with you Dan - I cleaned those streets ha ha

DanMurphy wrote: »
    The Lebanese were the only people who ever thanked us for our work

The Leb's are wonderful people. I've never met nicer, more friendly people anywhere.

I remember the first time sheltering in a bunker in Harris (Tech Town), the village was being shelled by the christians from Haddatha and Rasaf (Cuckoo's Nest).. I was only 20, never seen any kind of combat prior to this day ~ and Lebanon children looking for us to protect them, then playing charades with them.

Afterwards thinking 'damn these people see this daily, and still they're so fcuking friendly and inviting to armed troops!.

Mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

DanMurphy wrote:
    Served there in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Everyone's target those times, from the IDF to the common criminal gunmen in the Tyre Pocket who ambushed us for fun. The French, Fijians and Nepalese were being killed daily by all sides, and we lost 48 good men through the years. The Lebanese were the only people who ever thanked us for our work, and being part-winners of the Nobel Peace Prize for peacekeeping went un-noticed at home. but hey...we expected no kudos from mother Ireland and weren't disappointed.

My father served in the Leb in the late 70's, he lost some guys from his battalion still affects him as he sent them out. We also lost members of our extended family to the Leb. Everyone that wore the black and blue beret in my family done so with pride. Now a new generation of my family is overseas. Always wore my uniform with pride.
    Anyone that puts on the uniform has my respect as it took hard work to earn the right to wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Am i right to to say the the Irish army has lost the most soldiers in UNIFIL ? I think some were posting about 48 dead with France losing about 35 .

Am i right to to say the the Irish army has lost the most soldiers in UNIFIL ? I think some were posting about 48 dead with France losing about 35 .

I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if the French lost that many as they were in UNIFIL HQ, Naqoura and whilst technically inside the Israeli controlled security zone (we'd have called it 'the enclave') they weren't really involved in too much of what went on 'in the hills.

But I could be wrong too, but Naqoura was always known as a cushy number.

However the French (anytime I was out there) were a mobile reserve so went on patrol in the hills and could be called upon to re enforce a unit under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if the French lost that many as they were in UNIFIL HQ, Naqoura and whilst technically inside the Israeli controlled security zone (we'd have called it 'the enclave') they weren't really involved in too much of what went on 'in the hills.

However the French (anytime I was out there) were a mobile reserve so went on patrol in the hills and could be called upon to re enforce a unit under pressure.

I don't know how it's exactly worded but I think it's described as soldiers lost per capita head or something like that , with Ireland losing the most.

The Irish always got the going 'hotspots' in the early days of the Leb.
    The Israelis and Hadddad said more than once 'if they could break the Irish Battalion, they would break UNIFIL.'
    Hence the large amount of fatalities.
    They tried it on more than once at Naqoura, At Tiri, Bra'chit, et al and got a bloody nose every time.
    Serious gun-battles took place at each of these places, but never reported.
    But all that went un-noticed at home because all the RTE 'War Reporters' were busy 'reporting' from hotels in Cyprus or mere guess work from a studio in Donneybrook.
    Maj. Hadadd launched a propaganda campaign in 1979 (when he couldn't beat us on the ground) saying that the Irish were 'chasing Lebanese women and drunk all the time.'
    This shyte was actually believed at home, and withdrawal was actually discussed by our Government of the day until somebody with a brain intervened.

The French Engineer Coy were in Naqoura but their Bn was in the hills.
    I think four DSMs were won at Naqoura during the battle with the Militia in early 1979. I was there for that, and the one that followed it three weeks later.
    Cushy spot ? Not in '78 /79 it wasn't!

• Advertisement

I don't know how it's exactly worded but I think it's described as soldiers lost per capita head or something like that , with Ireland losing the most.

Honestly I'm not sure, its not something I've ever thought about. There are various memorials to those lost dotted around south Lebanon, and a bigger one dedicated to all those lost in UNIFIL HQ.

I can post up some photos to Irish soldiers killed if you wish (can't we post photos in AH now?, I'll try it).

I edited this a little to put his memorial stone on the photo. Pte McNeela was KIA exactly one month after this photo was taken. Killed by a .50 cal fired from a christian position over Haddatha village.

435568.jpg

More stones in Haddatha (these memorial stones are home in Ireland now)

435569.jpg

More stones to the fallen

435570.jpg

And to the three lads murdered by another Irish soldier on Tibnin Bridge.

435571.jpg

Advertisement