Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army coup to take place in Dublin today

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Seriously, the Irish army couldn't fight their way out of an under 16 GAA disco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Meh, Unless it's the Kite.
    EDIT:Probably a terrorism drill or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Seriously, the Irish army couldn't fight their way out of an under 16 GAA disco.

You could always see what happens but I suspect if they are able to deal with Liberian rebels they can deal with ordinary Irish trouble makers https://www.independent.ie/world-news/africa/crack-troops-rescue-hostages-from-gunmen-in-daring-raid-26019636.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

rossie1977 wrote: »
    You could always see what happens but I suspect if they are able to deal with Liberian rebels they can deal with ordinary Irish trouble makers https://www.independent.ie/world-news/africa/crack-troops-rescue-hostages-from-gunmen-in-daring-raid-26019636.html

Reminded me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Check out Siege of Jadotville.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They were the first troops on the ground in Chad.
    Those who knock them should try it and see how long they last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Check out Siege of Jadotville.

Ah yes, where the well trained modern European army surrendered to a group of poorly trained natives and a few mercenaries, where the co failed to push an early tactical advantage that would have broken the attack and instead allowed the enemy to regroup.

Not the best of examples

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But what is that that they “do” on a daily basis for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ah yes, where the well trained modern European army surrendered to a group of poorly trained natives and a few mercenaries, where the co failed to push an early tactical advantage that would have broken the attack and instead allowed the enemy to regroup.

Not the best of examples

You're well wide of the mark with that post, Napoleon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not the best of examples

I'm not going to judge the soldiers capabilities. I believe they would have been excellent.

However I also read they were hopelessly ill equipped in terms of weapons and what they had to work with.

Is that true (wouldn't surprise me in the slightest)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not the best of examples

Ah yes keyboard surfer gets all their licks from call of duty on the xbox

Your Face wrote: »

So the co didn't allow the attackers time to remove their wounded and dead during the early phases of the attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I'm not going to judge the soldiers capabilities. I believe they would have been excellent.

However I also read they were hopelessly ill equipped in terms of weapons and what they had to work with.

Is that true (wouldn't surprise me in the slightest)?

They ran out a of ammunition I think, they had no choice but surrender, or die of course.
    They were left out to die basically by the UN, Conor Cruise O'Brien had no small part to play in that, he didn't come out of that smelling of roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So the co didn't allow the attackers time to remove their wounded and dead during the early phases of the attack?

Were they appropriately equipped? Evidence suggests not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I don't know about that......it's the one you never hear that gets you ;)

Defence Forces win international sniper competition

https://www.facebook.com/DefenceForces/posts/10152735938946166

Crack troops rescue hostages from gunmen in daring raid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not the best of examples

No, a well trained, well led light infantry force dug an excellent defensive position and fought off and overwhelming large attacking force that had the benefit of air support......

......why 'push' out from a well prepared postion? That's giving up the most significant tactical advantage an isolated force has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

All I can think of is pigeons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Id be proud of our army if they allowed injured enemy combatants be removed from the field rather than letting them bleed out under a hot tropical sun.

• Advertisement

Id be proud of our army if they allowed injured enemy combatants be removed from the field rather than letting them bleed out under a hot tropical sun.

But giving time for the enemy to regroup is surely the first thing you don't do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

But giving time for the enemy to regroup is surely the first thing you don't do?

If on being asked for a ceasefire by your enemy to alow them removed their injured from the field, is it not the decent thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pretty sure they fought off an attack by isis somewhere out in Lebanon when isis were at their best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Somebody text arlene foster tell her it's the army heading for the border next after they take the capital :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Pretty sure they fought off an attack by isis somewhere out in Lebanon when isis were at their best

Was Syria dunno if it was Isis but here you go

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/heroic-irish-troops-rescue-filipino-4131748

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

As long as the local Army commanders make their way to funerals, sort out medical cards for people and ring into Liveline occasionally to respond to irate callers then I'm not sure I'm entirely bothered by this impending coup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you know how many international military competitions they win? Nope, you don't.

The Rangers were the first non US team to win the international sniper competition a couple of years ago for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Your Face wrote: »

You weren't great at Waterloo either...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not the best of examples

Sometimes I hate the internet as it gives ill informed people like this a platform to spout angry and unsubstantiated drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Edward M wrote: »
    Conor Cruise O'Brien had no small part to play in that, he didn't come out of that smelling of roses.

He was a geebag.

Advertisement