Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army coup to take place in Dublin today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Ah yes, where the well trained modern European army surrendered to a group of poorly trained natives and a few mercenaries, where the co failed to push an early tactical advantage that would have broken the attack and instead allowed the enemy to regroup.

Not the best of examples

The Irish army, the Rangers in particular are well regarded worldwide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you know how many international military competitions they win? Nope, you don't.

The Rangers were the first non US team to win the international sniper competition a couple of years ago for example.

Competitions, I feel safer already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you expect them to go out and shoot real people as part of their training?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Apparently they are in Dublin today so you can go up to them and have a chat about your concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dumber, you feel dumber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Don't these urban drills always coincide with a terrorist atrocity?

They were the first troops on the ground in Chad.
    Those who knock them should try it and see how long they last.

And they're in many other countries on missions of peace, such as the Lebanon. People knock our army quite a lot, without remembering that parts of it are considered among the most elite in the world.

Jawgap wrote: »

Yeah that rescue operation went smooth and by the book unlike the usually botched, over the top, gung-ho fuckups by the Americans that frequently end up with half the hostages dead and the Americans needing rescuing themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So long as our future dictator loves his super cool camo socks, I'm all for it.

Jawgap wrote: »

So in other words the only ones to score gold in that exercise (which I'm sure is in the Brecon Beacons where the SAS train) were the Gurkhas and the Irish.

Maybe you'd want to reassess your judgement there, judeboy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Id be proud of our army if they allowed injured enemy combatants be removed from the field rather than letting them bleed out under a hot tropical sun.

From the film, and listening to an ex soldier that was there on local radio, they did initially allow them to do so, but the enemy dropped snipers in the cover whilst doing it and were caught and opened fire on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Ah yes, where the well trained modern European army surrendered to a group of poorly trained natives and a few mercenaries, where the co failed to push an early tactical advantage that would have broken the attack and instead allowed the enemy to regroup.

You should teach your mad Call of Duty skills and strategies to officer cadets at the Curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I suspect judeboy would **** himself rotten if he was ever called up to do what our army does.
    Seriously piss poor attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Bet this "operation" involves the lads storming into the new victoria secrets store on grafton street and going straight for the fancy knicker department to rescue father ted

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

All I know is if I was there I would have got to that top building and 360 no scoped their leader. Game over sit back and watch the kill cam. bound to get me a cool camo in a supply drop no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My stomach started to turn reading some of the blathering shoite on here from ill informed, no good, tree hugging peaceniks...
    ..... Then i remembered that I was in after hours, the Mos Eisley of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Not the best of examples

5000 vs 158 (with 500 attempting support).
    300+ dead vs 3 dead.

Not a bad turnout when they were outnumbered 30-1 in the main battle.

They only surrendered because they ran out of ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Id be proud of our army if they allowed injured enemy combatants be removed from the field rather than letting them bleed out under a hot tropical sun.

Huh?

Stop the war lads, the enemy want to take out a few of their injured men.

"Are you all done lads? Give us a thumbs up"

Right boys...back to slaughtering them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Our veterens and heroes from Jadotville are very old now. But I have no doubt any one of them, with one arm tied behind their back, would kick seven shades of shlt out of the nobody, keyboard **** stain trying to disparage them on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There won't be a chicken fillet roll to be had in the town....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 BIGDAWWG01

Seriously, the Irish army couldn't fight their way out of an under 16 GAA disco.

Mate, why don't you go train with them or go on tour abroad and see how you last.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BIGDAWWG01

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Our veterens and heroes from Jadotville are very old now. But I have no doubt any one of them, with one arm tied behind their back, would kick seven shades of shlt out of the nobody, keyboard **** stain trying to disparage them on here.

Agreed. All a bunch of spas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

mfceiling wrote: »
    Huh?

Stop the war lads, the enemy want to take out a few of their injured men.

"Are you all done lads? Give us a thumbs up"

Right boys...back to slaughtering them again.

You can do both.
    Slaughter them and act per Geneva convention where its a war crime to knowingly fire on a medic. Nothing wrong with shooting a combatant, there is however in shooting those afforded protection.

Their failure to behave accordingly is a reflection on them, not a slur on the Irish who discharged their duty with honour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Little Leo must be in a panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Well let's put it this way......

......the ARW and various other DF teams regularly go up against the best the British, the US and the French have to offer in comps and perform at or above the level of those teams. Which kind of served as a proxy for how well trained they are and how effective they are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Exercises make for a better army
    Many exercises make for a great army.
    Too bad we don't have more of them.

The defense forces here do a great job given there resources by the government.

Oh and just for balance the Irish troops who rescued the Filipino troops in Lebanon had to be rescued themselves by Israeli troops.
    Tis a mad world indeed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

...__... wrote: »
    Exercises make for a better army
    Many exercises make for a great army.
    Too bad we don't have more of them.

The defense forces here do a great job given there resources by the government.

Oh and just for balance the Irish troops who rescued the Filipino troops in Lebanon had to be rescued themselves by Israeli troops.
    Tis a mad world indeed

Israel didnt rescue the Irish, they had assured a fire support plan and air support FROM the Israelis if they needed it. Israel supported the mission from that perspective and rightly so, the Air corps does not deploy combat aircraft overseas (because we havent got any - unless you count lightly armed helis and trainer aircraft) and the army doesnt deploy large calibre guns to that particular location on UN duty, but irish ammunition was used and Irish soldiers put their lives on the line to rescue their UN comrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Probably the Phoenix park.

Aras, US ambassadors gaff, space to land, Garda building next door, relatively straightforward for traffic restrictions. McKee barracks a stones throw away.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Not the best of examples

Modern army at the time wtf.most of there weapons where from ww2.they were out numbered and also fighting against many highly trained ex french and Belgian soldiers go read a book my friend and learn something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

greencap wrote: »
    Probably the Phoenix park.

Aras, US ambassadors gaff, space to land, Garda building next door, relatively straightforward for traffic restrictions. McKee barracks a stones throw away.

Not a very realistic location, imo. I'd say it will be in a populated area.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement