Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like the teachers aren't so lazy...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm just back from India.
    Schools there are 830-5pm 6 days a week from junior infants.
    Colleges are 7 days a week with a friend's son telling me he gets home at 9pm every evening.
    They have 1 months summer holidays and national festivals.

At 10 years old kids were speaking 3 languages in a school my friend runs.
    The kids were polite and disciplined.
    When visitors enter the class, they stand up. Something we did here once upon a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Colleges are 7 days a week with a friend's son telling me he gets home at 9pm every evening.

When visitors enter the class, they stand up. Something we did here once upon a time.

when we were relatively poor and submissive to any authority?
    children don't need that to be respectful

children's span of attention, quality of work, ability to complete tasks to a satisfactory degree has deteriorated in the last few years (especially in the senior classrooms) - smartphones and tablets are to blame imho

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

At 10 years old kids were speaking 3 languages in a school my friend runs. The kids were polite and disciplined. When visitors enter the class, they stand up. Something we did here once upon a time.

Sounds a bit like authoritarianism to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My kids have all loved their time in National school, they look forward to going and are happy and doing quite well academically. That's good enough for me to know what a great job the staff are doing at my children's schools.

It's a shame now one is in secondary school, the learning seems to have turned into a memory test for facts and figures rather than any actual development of knowledge. (don't think this is the teachers fault, it's the system)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

It's a shame now one is in secondary school, the learning seems to have turned into a memory test for facts and figures rather than any actual development of knowledge. (don't think this is the teachers fault, it's the system)

I'm delighted that your kids are enjoying some elements of our educational system, as education should be fun, it should be a happy place, but as you also explained, and I completely agree, its mainly a systemic failure. Sadly we have a system that fails many very badly, particularly those that have memory issues, amongst other issues, and is a wide scale memory test actually education?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Which is why the Indian education system produces graduates who struggle to think for themselves.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

But the vast majority of children don't react to school the way your nephew has. So really, using him as a benchmark to which to compare your home schooled children isn't really logical.

My nephews and niece are all very bright, read constantly, have a great vocabulary and excellent writing skills - and they all go to the local national school. They also enjoy taking part in school plays and concerts and all the other stuff that goes with school life. In their case, they are definitely better off going to school, than being home schooled.

Do you seriously think this is a good thing? When do these children get time to play, to do family stuff, etc.

And what kind of lives do college students have? No time presumably to develop outside interests and become well rounded people.

Life isn't all about exam results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Noveight wrote: »
    Kids doing well? Parents contribute a lot at home.

Kids doing poorly? Focking useless teachers in our schools.

just gonna quote this to give it a bump, don't think it got nearly enough praise.

Life isn't all about exam results.

Maybe this should be explained to many of our politicians and policymakers!

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe this should be explained to many of our politicians and policymakers!

I totally agree. This attitude has also led to a ridiculous situation where every school leaver is expected to aspire to a third level education and more and more mickey mouse courses are being set up to meet this aspiration.

I totally agree. This attitude has also led to a ridiculous situation where every school leaver is expected to aspire to a third level education and more and more mickey mouse courses are being set up to meet this aspiration.

Richard Bruton and Fine Gael
    treats education like a job creation factory

Even though I'm all for education and equal access for all to it, our educational system is now seen as a business, education is down the list of priorities within the system. It has become a scam

nice_guy80 wrote:
    Richard Bruton and Fine Gael treats education like a job creation factory

Whereby, one size fits all, as we 're all the same, us humans!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Richard Bruton and Fine Gael
    treats education like a job creation factory
    Well only those who have some other source of income can treat education as anything else. While there is more to education significant part is making kids employable. Only wealthy or those who want to spend the life on the dole can attain education just for the sake of education.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well only those who have some other source of income can treat education as anything else. While there is more to education significant part is making kids employable. Only wealthy or those who want to spend the life on the dole can attain education just for the sake of education.

employable?
    what does that mean exactly?

education isn't about being trained to do a job for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Yes, but you seemed to be saying that home schooling is automatically superior to sending children to Dept of Education schools, using your children and their cousin as an example.
    I was pointing out that you can't just use your family to make that point. There are many children who benefit from going to ordinary schools.

employable?
    what does that mean exactly?

education isn't about being trained to do a job for life

No but it is about being trained to use your skills in the jobs and areas you are interested in. Are you going to tell me you can work as micro biologist with a degree in sociology?

does it work at all, for anyone?

• Advertisement

No but it is about being trained to use your skills in the jobs and areas you are interested in. Are you going to tell me you can work as micro biologist with a degree in sociology?

It's also, or should also, be about teaching children to think for themselves, to question things, to communicate well with others, to work as a team and to develop the many other skills that are important in life both in and out of the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think teachers do an excellent job. One of my kids is now in college and doing great, the other is in primary and doing well. Both have special needs, both really struggled in the early years but luckily had schools and teachers who supported them. Also have to mention the fantastic SNAs they've had. There are always bad people in jobs, there are crap people in my profession, I don't deserve to have my hard work slagged off because of them.

what does that have to do with literacy in primary school?

that inspection report shows that 84% of English lessons and 85% of maths lessons were satisfactory
    that's pretty high

It's also, or should also, be about teaching children to think for themselves, to question things, to communicate well with others, to work as a team and to develop the many other skills that are important in life both in and out of the workplace.

And that's why I said that there is more to education in previous post. One of the things being functional reading skills. But to ignore employment aspect is a luxury very few have.

what does that have to do with literacy in primary school?

that inspection report shows that 84% of English lessons and 85% of maths lessons were satisfactory
    that's pretty high

Nothing.

So you claim Burton thinks primary school is just about employment skills? Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/1205/925015-literacy-reading-study/

3rd in the World in Literacy. Nice early xmas present for Irish primary school teachers.

I await the congratulations from all those who have disparaged teachers on the AH forum.

Well done to all the hard working teachers.

In what is the world's largest comparative study of reading achievement among primary school pupils, no other EU or OECD country has achieved a score higher than Ireland's, and just two countries, Singapore and the Russian Federation, emerge significantly ahead of us.

Oh really they came 3rd after the Russian Federation, Singapore, and Hong Kong ..:rolleyes:

Possibly because a lot of teachers are actually trying to get on with the actual business of teaching the children in their care, instead of ticking boxes, filling out 'lesson plan' forms and wasting time on a load of bureaucracy that's actually getting in the way of teaching.

• Advertisement

Well you can't have it every way. Either they get on with teaching the kids and ignore some of the new bureaucracy that's been landed on them and serves no real purpose; or they devote hours a day to box ticking exercises and have less time to genuinely prepare for lessons and teach the children.

No doubt, you'd be complaining whichever they do.

Complying with financial regulations is a totally different ball game.

Advertisement