Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like the teachers aren't so lazy...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/1205/925015-literacy-reading-study/

3rd in the World in Literacy. Nice early xmas present for Irish primary school teachers.

I await the congratulations from all those who have disparaged teachers on the AH forum.

Well done to all the hard working teachers.

In what is the world's largest comparative study of reading achievement among primary school pupils, no other EU or OECD country has achieved a score higher than Ireland's, and just two countries, Singapore and the Russian Federation, emerge significantly ahead of us.

Paging maryishere...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think literacy teaching in Ireland is probably fairly good (unlike languages for example) but I wonder if the gap narrows in later years. Kids in countries like Finland don't start learning to read till they are 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Deise Vu wrote: »
    That old chestnut. I asked my teacher brother-in-law at the weekend was it unusual that my son had already finished his Christmas Exams. I was surprised considering that holiday mode will now inevitably kick in and they seem barely back in school after the mid-term. His answer was straight to the point: "You hardly expect teachers to correct papers during the holidays do you?".

I suppose he is right, I do have very low expectations of teachers.

In my local town the secondary schools run the 3rd/6th year Christmas exams at the end of November. This allow the students to have more of a break until there pre exams and it allows them to work on the areas they need to over Christmas because they get the results before Christmas.
    All other exams in the school happen in the week before Christmas and most teachers correct them over Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Like a lot of (very) concerned parents I effectively do home school my kids. After I have done one of my 232 days 8-10 hours work. I do the maths, science, and business studies stuff, my wife does the rest. Unfortunately I have to work to eat or I would certainly be able to do a better job than 90% of the jobsworths who call themselves teachers but prefer to moan about the curriculum, the Department, the school board, the pupils and those pesky parents.

If 90% of the teachers in your children's schools are that bad then I feel very sorry for you but that's not the norm in this country and maybe you need to look at yourself and what you expect from the teachers and at what level you think your kids are at or should be at? Maybe your expectations are to high or maybe the kids are late bloomers. I went to a school where I can honestly say I had one "bad teacher" and even he was just an arse hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I completely agree
    parents are key
    its a co-operative effort

but so many parents don't bother.
    If they did we could be first in literacy for 10 year olds! Finally Ireland winning something!
    We could finally stick it to Putin and co. And those damn Singaporeans. (also, both those countries exclude children with learning difficulties from all testing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I completely agree
    parents are key
    its a co-operative effort

but so many parents don't bother.
    If they did we could be first in literacy for 10 year olds! Finally Ireland winning something!
    We could finally stick it to Putin and co. And those damn Singaporeans. (also, both those countries exclude children with learning difficulties from all testing)

Totally agree, this is not all down to us being super parents.

Secondly, I would not believe a test result from Mother Russia even if it was overseen by the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

T
    Secondly, I would not believe a test result from Mother Russia even if it was overseen by the UN.

In Soviet Russia, book reads you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Ireland has a large immigrant population. If we were suffering and down the lists you would blame the teaching of Irish.
    We do home-school our kids, and they're far ahead of children in both public and private schools. They're especially ahead of their cousins in primary school in Ireland.

We will take your word for it, I’m sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think literacy teaching in Ireland is probably fairly good (unlike languages for example) but I wonder if the gap narrows in later years. Kids in countries like Finland don't start learning to read till they are 7.

Children in Finland start school at an older age than here and they are in classes which average 17 pupils the whole way up the school.

I would love a class of 17 children. How much work would you get done with them and how much 1-1 attention would each child get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Any child receiving one on one teaching will always do a lot better than the average child.

Your situation obviously differs from the vast majority of people, being in the position to home school your children, Add the fact that not everyone has to aptitude to teach as well.

If teaching is so easy, why don't more people take it up. It's a career, and not an easy one at that.

Teaching is a necessity for our children not a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Its not something to be proud of.
    A teacher has a job to do. Some dont do it very well. Some skate by abd the short school year takes care of many noticing.
    Why such a big deal on reading? By the time they enter secondary, how good are kids at reading novels, maths, music, science whatever?

No, im not impressed with the statistic nor the quality of irish teachers.

A teacher has a job to do. Some dont do it very well. Some skate by abd the short school year takes care of many noticing.
    Why such a big deal on reading? By the time they enter secondary, how good are kids at reading novels, maths, music, science whatever?

reading is the foundation of everything
    even the ancient Sumerians understood this when they came up with the cuneiform alphabet in 4000BC

of course home schooled kids can be more advanced. its almost 1-to-1.
    most parents don't have that luxury

Honestly, it isn't that difficult, especially at a young age. Talking to your children, explaining things to them, showing them how to do things, taking time and patience with them -- these are things that almost any parent can do.

Unfortunately, too many parents leave education to the "experts" in government-run schools, which almost always guarantees mediocre outcomes.[/quote]
    teachers are merely in "loco parentis"
    parents should be the main educators
    unfortunately sometimes "the experts" have to make up the for parental deficiencies.
    like teaching a child how to put on a coat. or 25 children.

Honestly, it isn't that difficult, especially at a young age. Talking to your children, explaining things to them, showing them how to do things, taking time and patience with them -- these are things that almost any parent can do.

Unfortunately, too many parents leave education to the "experts" in government-run schools, which almost always guarantees mediocre outcomes.[/quote]
    teachers are merely in "loco parentis"
    parents should be the main educators
    unfortunately sometimes "the experts" have to make up the for parental deficiencies.
    like teaching a child how to put on a coat. or 25 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Most parents don't really have any other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

435360.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What a mean spirited reply, it is something to be proud of. It is a big deal because reading is the foundation of so much of other areas of education. We have excellent primary education in Ireland and a very good secondary education systme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Kids doing well? Parents contribute a lot at home.

Kids doing poorly? Focking useless teachers in our schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

reading is the foundation of everything
    even the ancient Sumerians understood this when they came up with the cuneiform alphabet in 4000BC

of course home schooled kids can be more advanced. its almost 1-to-1.
    most parents don't have that luxury

whats a bc do you mean bce ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

whas i candt beilie d that is tru

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chrongen wrote: »
    All of them. You HAVE to be able to speak Irish to do the Inter Cert (and that's at age 15) and while few will be fluent and a certain percentage will probably fail lower level Irish the majority will have a functioning verbal grasp of the language.

wow shut down the internet

Empirically though, it isn’t. Is it. Hence the thread.

I have no idea how you are testing those child geniuses of yours against Irish 8 year olds but maybe you should actually get them formally tested rather than assume the best.

Of course that statistic can’t stand in isolation. What’s the functional illiteracy of the normal 15 year old worldwide. I know that Irish 15 year olds do better than most in the PISA results.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd be embarrassed if my kids couldn't read or write before they start school.
    And I'm embarrassed for you. Children need lots and lots of pre-reading work before they begin formal reading. And "writing" taught before school is often with the incorrect grip and with letter malformation. Let the children be children before they begin formal schooling, they will be in that system long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A child can only work to their ability, Hot housing a child will work for a while but then as they get older, unless they have exceptional abilty, they don't keep the early "gains."

Advertisement