Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like the teachers aren't so lazy...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

A child can only work to their ability, Hot housing a child will work for a while but then as they get older, unless they have exceptional abilty, they don't keep the early "gains."

It hardly need be said this poster's offspring are gifted. And beautiful. Like something from an Ian McEwan novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It's not. And I'm sure you're not a bit biased in making that declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Permabear seems to have a weird obsession with the Irish education systme despite appearing to have greatly benefited from it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Oh look another teacher thread in AH
    dfa.jpg

Is it poppy wearing season yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

mariaalice wrote: »
    Permabear seems to have a weird obsession with the Irish education systme despite appearing to have greatly benefited from it himself.

Self taught no doubt. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How is Russia so high up? I dont think they have much cash to pump into schools these days.

Thargor wrote: »
    How is Russia so high up? I dont think they have much cash to pump into schools these days.

some countries choose what schools are assessed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2017/01/04/are-the-pisa-education-results-rigged/#c0bc87e15614

Strange... It's so unlike Russia to cheat at anything though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats what I was thinking seeing as the story that immediately followed it on the News was them getting kicked out of the Winter Olympics but would they really be that blatant about it? Bump themselves up to 5th or 6th or whatever but second place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I like that AP test all the kids in US high schools do.
    They identify the most talented in the country and make sure they go
    to the best colleges. Scholarships and sorting out money, jobs, moves etc for family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

A child can only work to their ability, Hot housing a child will work for a while but then as they get older, unless they have exceptional abilty, they don't keep the early "gains."

not sure about that

i think they keep the gains in reading and arithmetic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

mikeysmith wrote: »
    not sure about that

i think they keep the gains in reading and arithmetic
    I can't agree, a child can reach the pinnacle of their ability and not keep the "gains"- eventually intellect levels out early achievement. I've seen children whose parents tell me are reading at a 1st class level before they start school. initially, they will appear to outstrip their peers, but level out later on. The exception is, of course, those children who are exceptionally able or gifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Everything else being equal, you'd kinda expect even an untrained parent to do a better job educating their own child than a teacher who has to split their time between 25 of them.

Education has a lot of inertia behind it coming from an era when we were getting children out of the fields and factories and trying to educate everyone.

School as it is was designed to do a decent job of getting nearly everyone up to a minimum standard.

It's no great shock that we've moved on in the past 100 years to a point where that same 1 size fits all approach is no longer satisfactory.

The tricky part is that there's so many interconnected parts to education now that any major changes are unlikely.
    There's the set up of society being built around a particular time of the day, there's all the infrastructure set up to facilitate education - buses, teachers, the 3rd level institutions that train them and so on - and even beyond the practical, there's the cultural entrenchment about education falling within a certain paradign that'll be hard to shift.

There's no particular reason that education needs to be 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, 9 months a year, in one place, with one organisation, following one form of curriculum, the core of which was developed for a society almost unrecognisable from ours today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

If they had 2 months off during the summer me might get up to 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I like most parents take a keen interest in my child's education, but the fact remains I simply don't the time my children need to be educated properly. I struggled in school myself and know for a fact I neither have the skills or expertise to educate my children in a proper manner.

Home schooling isn't gonna work for the vast majority of the population, most people don't have the time to to it because they work full time.

You obviously don't hold teachers in high esteem, where as I do. I realise that not all teachers are great at their job, but that's the same in any profession.

As I've said before, the majority of the people on boards owe their education to these "experts" as you put it. Your essentially saying anyone one who was educated in public schools in the country is mediocre, which covers most the people in this thread.

Most of us never had the opportunity to be home schooled or go to a private school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I can tell you feel strongly about home schooling. I feel just as strongly about kids building friendships witb other kids. There is this idea that high achievers are most successful, actually it's usually kids who are good at cooperation and team work and those that are able to absorb from different sources and use information.

You also seem preoccupied by comparing your kids to their older cousins and there is no need for that. I went to fairly demanding secondary school (different school sytem and I was far from top student) and suddenly you have kids who have been excellent in primary schools struggling because hard work wouldn't be enough. We had kids pleading for higher grades afraid of their parent's reaction, some under severe pressure and one committing suicide. There were kids who were reading and writting way before others and yet in high school they were far from exceptional. Kids who is high achieving at 4 is mostly just an ego boost for parents. It's important to encourage their creativity and challenge them but from my experience it makes no difference at 18 who was or who wasn't reading at 4.

Edit: I was replying to Permabear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And why do you think home schooling would make any difference if his parents already gave up?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not sure but I think you might be going down the home schooling route.
    Just out of interest what will you do if one of the kids totally rebels against maths/English/etc in a few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

If you don't mind me asking, why the animosity towards teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A lot of male teachers leave because of the way people view them. And other men are put off because of the way society view men who want to teach children.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink the water. There'd be 25 other kids in the class; why bother with the one that won't try.

IMO, the parents should have him tested for dyslexia, hearing, etc, but I'm guessing they gave up a long time ago.

IMO the unions are to blame for this, as the bad eggs seem to be unsackable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

His parents are at fault. Simple.

No school system can balance out poor parenting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The system would be more of a joke if time was wasted on someone who didn't want to be taught, at the expense of those that did.

• Advertisement

Source?

Advertisement