Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like the teachers aren't so lazy...

Options
  • 05-12-2017 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/1205/925015-literacy-reading-study/

3rd in the World in Literacy. Nice early xmas present for Irish primary school teachers.

I await the congratulations from all those who have disparaged teachers on the AH forum.

Well done to all the hard working teachers.

In what is the world's largest comparative study of reading achievement among primary school pupils, no other EU or OECD country has achieved a score higher than Ireland's, and just two countries, Singapore and the Russian Federation, emerge significantly ahead of us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

You'll be waiting a while, teachers do so much work its unreal. Pity people don't see that and just bash them for their holidays.

Makes you wonder why they have such a handy number and more people don't do it rather than give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I know.... All that work!!!! and in only 6 months a year???!!!!???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Read between the lines here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think the standard of primary teaching in Ireland is exceptionally good. I think it is more that secondary schools seem to attract more of the 'bad egg' teachers.

I also think women are way over represented in the teaching profession and that is the biggest problem it is currently facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    3rd in the World in Literacy.

Yeah, you might want to READ that again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I think the standard of primary teaching in Ireland is exceptionally good. I think it is more that secondary schools seem to attract more of the 'bad egg' teachers.

I also think women are way over represented in the teaching profession and that is the biggest problem it is currently facing.

Maybe it's because there are so many women in primary teaching explains why it's doing so well?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

However the data also reveals an strong cultural attachment here to reading, with Irish parents playing a key role in their children's impressive performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

3rd in the World

There is no " 3rd place" - only second loser

& "significantly"

Singapore and the Russian Federation, emerge significantly ahead of us.

gctest50 wrote: »

& "significantly"

Misread it all you like, Ireland came fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The phonics method of teaching kids the sounds of letters and letter combinations over words themselves is amazing at teaching young kids the skill of being able to make a great effort of pronouncing any word they've never seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

it's like saying well done to the postman for delivering the post.

how many will be able to speak Irish or French when they are 18? very few I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

how many will be able to speak Irish or French when they are 18? very few I say.

who said anything about Irish or French?
    are they teaching Irish in Singapore or Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They work hard and i wouldn't do their job

The holidays are an unbelievably handy number

Both these statements are true

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Third? Good effort but can do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

& "significantly"
    they have 3rd place in the World Cup.

I copied that section from the rte website.

Pupils need longer holidays too. They get very tired an unable to work in school

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

who said anything about Irish or French?
    are they teaching Irish in Singapore or Russia?

well no good in been great at 10 if come out crap at18.

not sure I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OK you calm down now, Ricky Bobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I wonder what the literacy rate is among the teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Third? Good effort but can do better.

57865b432abbd2322b58454b6d89e73d38ffb164f7d382f1aff00ffc402cc1cd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

All of them. You HAVE to be able to speak Irish to do the Inter Cert (and that's at age 15) and while few will be fluent and a certain percentage will probably fail lower level Irish the majority will have a functioning verbal grasp of the language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

well no good in been great at 10 if come out crap at18.

not sure I doubt it.

And what are your chances of being not crap at 18 if your were also crap at 10?

Great at 10 then I'd take 50/50 odds you'll be great at 18.

Crap at 10 then I'd bet the farm you're still going to suck at 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

i luv lituritzie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

they have 3rd place in the World Cup.

I copied that section from the rte website.

Pupils need longer holidays too. They get very tired an unable to work in school

That old chestnut. I asked my teacher brother-in-law at the weekend was it unusual that my son had already finished his Christmas Exams. I was surprised considering that holiday mode will now inevitably kick in and they seem barely back in school after the mid-term. His answer was straight to the point: "You hardly expect teachers to correct papers during the holidays do you?".

I suppose he is right, I do have very low expectations of teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its not just down to the schools, its also down to alot of the work parents but in with their kids at home. Its a joint effort.

Now if primary schools just had a clue about physical exercise it be great.

My daughter got a low grade for physical exercise, I asked the teacher is there something wrong here, as my daughter does hockey, swimming, gaa etc and loves sport.

Her answer was she just seems bored and not interested in jumping up and down on the spot:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Deise Vu wrote: »
    That old chestnut. I asked my teacher brother-in-law at the weekend was it unusual that my son had already finished his Christmas Exams. I was surprised considering that holiday mode will now inevitably kick in and they seem barely back in school after the mid-term. His answer was straight to the point: "You hardly expect teachers to correct papers during the holidays do you?".

I suppose he is right, I do have very low expectations of teachers.

if you have such low expectations of teachers why don't you home school your kids?

I mean I'm sure your kids are the most important thing to you so why wouldn't you put some effort into giving them a proper education if the one they get off current teachers isn't up to scratch?

or are you just lazy and would rather give out than take action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

SeanHarty wrote: »
    if you have such low expectations of teachers why don't you home school your kids?

I mean I'm sure your kids are the most important thing to you so why wouldn't you put some effort into giving them a proper education if the one they get off current teachers isn't up to scratch?

or are you just lazy and would rather give out than take action?

Like a lot of (very) concerned parents I effectively do home school my kids. After I have done one of my 232 days 8-10 hours work. I do the maths, science, and business studies stuff, my wife does the rest. Unfortunately I have to work to eat or I would certainly be able to do a better job than 90% of the jobsworths who call themselves teachers but prefer to moan about the curriculum, the Department, the school board, the pupils and those pesky parents.

I'd be embarrassed if my kids couldn't read or write before they start school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Like a lot of (very) concerned parents I effectively do home school my kids. After I have done one of my 232 days 8-10 hours work. I do the maths, science, and business studies stuff, my wife does the rest. Unfortunately I have to work to eat or I would certainly be able to do a better job than 90% of the jobsworths who call themselves teachers but prefer to moan about the curriculum, the Department, the school board, the pupils and those pesky parents.

What a ridiculous post.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

And their social skills?

Advertisement