Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview frequencies reshuffle (700 MHz clearence)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Anyone received info/data from the

Saorview Advisory

channel?

Only noticed this today and don't recall seeing it mentioned here.

Saorview-Advisory.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Anyone received info/data from the

Saorview Advisory

channel?

Only noticed this today and don't recall seeing it mentioned here.

Saorview Advisory channels
    LCN 17 (Mux 2)
    LCN 18 (Mux 1)
    From late November, Saorview will be broadcasting a message on channels 17 and 18 which will only be viewable if you are in an area affected by the change and are still receiving Saorview on the old frequencies. The old frequencies will be switched off on 4 March 2020, so you will have until then to retune your Saorview TV or box.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

joeysoap wrote: »
    Does aerial change C/D to B or K require a new aerial?

It depends on the new channels, reception conditions, aerial characteristics. Kippure seems to be the biggest change, going from the 50s to the 30s.

I have a group C/D aerial, & my transmitter is going from high 50s to low 40s, & I have a better signal on the new channels.

I think aerials in general tend to do better when the out-of-group channels are at the lower end.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I find it strange how they renamed the RTE channels to RTOne. RT2. RTOne +1. and RT2 +1. Why drop the E and why change 1 to One?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Some TV's can't handle fadas. My old Samsung would never display them as RTÉ One and RTÉ2 because it didn't like them and just removed them altogether instead of replacing them with a normal E, but other TV's display them properly.

I find it more odd RTÉ call the main channel ONE on screen but One on EPG's and have their second channel as 2 on screen and on EPG's. Why not have '1' or 'TWO' to create some uniformity?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    I find it strange how they renamed the RTE channels to RTOne. RT2. RTOne +1. and RT2 +1. Why drop the E and why change 1 to One?

Not sure who you mean by 'they'.
    Not RTÉ it seems .... maybe the Sky (if using that) software does not like É?

RT-x.png
    guardians of the galaxy 2 plot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Probably be after midnight for Divis anyway. For the digital switchover it was just before 1am when it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Probably be after midnight for Divis anyway. For the digital switchover it was just before 1am when it changed.

I was under the impression that it would be mid morning but I may be completely wrong on this. You're absoluyely right about ASO/DSO but remember this time it's not anything near as major as ASO/DSO and there have been a number of frequency/channel changes since DSO.

I was under the impression that it would be mid morning but I may be completely wrong on this. You're absoluyely right about ASO/DSO but remember this time it's not anything near as major as ASO/DSO and there have been a number of frequency/channel changes since DSO.

I think we both might be right!

https://twitter.com/BBCOneNI/status/1168784688464441344

Not sure who you mean by 'they'.
    Not RTÉ it seems .... maybe the Sky (if using that) software does not like É?
    Im not too well up on these matters but "they" would be Saorview i assumed. What I posted above is what Im seeing both on the EPG and on the individual channel descriptions. Im using an ordinary rooftop aerial connected directly to a LG telly

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Im not too well up on these matters but "they" would be Saorview i assumed. What I posted above is what Im seeing both on the EPG and on the individual channel descriptions. Im using an ordinary rooftop aerial connected directly to a LG telly

In that case it is a TV problem, as previously posted
    PFMC84 wrote:
    Some TV's can't handle fadas. My old Samsung would never display them as RTÉ One and RTÉ2 because it didn't like them and just removed them altogether instead of replacing them with a normal E, but other TV's display them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Getting a bit obsessed with the up and coming channel changes. Let your televisions or settop boxes do the work .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Uk channels gone at midnight

That was fast. All my Freeview channels have just went walkies :)

Divis has just gone down I think. Loss of all channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Fast alright. All freeview gone in a flash. Tried rescan, no joy

Tried the Samsung on Saorview, same, all UK gone , except the Irish and the full stop is still on the Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Truskmore has now powered up E42 & E45.

Brougher Mt. seems to have most muxes back up on new frequencies (where required) except the NI Mux on E30 & COM5 on E24.

Edit: All up now @ Brougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Good morning when you rescan should the new mux frequency replace the previous one automatically when you / I’m on spur hill with channel change to 39
    Tk u

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Still no 30 from Divis (or is 3 rock cancelling it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Actually, 30 appears to be on, but getting no lock due to Three Rock underneath. This is going to be an issue even in parts of NI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have lost Com 8 (60) from Divis altogether. Others coming through OK but I think Com 7 (51) is reduced in signal quality.

Can an aerial for Divis and Clermont be diplexed so all 8 MUX's from Divis and the new Clermont MUX's in the 40's (and 30's in the future) can all be received or does diplexing them mean the two higher Divis ones on 51/60 get blocked out? Not sure what settings diplexers have so that might sound like a silly question!

Just wondering if it is possible or if with a potential new aerial situation I'll just have to put up with losing out on COM7 and COM8 and the extra channels and HD channels they bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

PFMC84 wrote: »
    Can an aerial for Divis and Clermont be diplexed so all 8 MUX's from Divis and the new Clermont MUX's in the 40's (and 30's in the future) can all be received or does diplexing them mean the two higher Divis ones on 51/60 get blocked out?

As things stand, to get all the channels, you could split the signal from the Divis aerial, assuming it can receive the higher channels. (If not you could change it or add another.) One of these feeds could then be connected to the 'high' leg of a 2nd suitable diplexer, with the combined feed from the original diplexer sent to the 'low' side.

At the moment, my Divis aerial is Group W and my Clermont aerial is CD and are diplexed together. I was thinking I would be better getting the Divis aerial changed to a Group T aerial and the Clermont one to a Group K aerial. I assume with the wideband one for Divis I might need filters added to block the 4G/5G signals if I kept it as is?

The coverage map now showing the new Drogheda and Wicklow sites as live - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Actually, 30 appears to be on, but getting no lock due to Three Rock underneath. This is going to be an issue even in parts of NI

You would wonder why then that the mux on Divis on 29 moved to 30 knowing there might be an issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

The Cush wrote: »
    The coverage map now showing the new Drogheda and Wicklow sites as live - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

i pressed on the link but how do we know if the site is live so we can rescan

kooga wrote: »
    i pressed on the link but how do we know if the site is live so we can rescan
    The map markers for the 2 sites have gone from blue (planned) to green (live). Why not do a retune to know for sure?

Checking 42 and 45 but getting no signal from Clermont. Not getting a signal for 51 or 60 from Divis either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Brian_Lo

According to https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/09/northern-ireland-undergoes-biggest-tv.html -- may be afternoon before anyone in Drogheda (or anywhere else) getting Freeview Lite from Kilkeel will be able to get channles after a retune

-- its says "there will be a period of time during the early hours of Wednesday when Freeview channels will be off-air. From breakfast time onwards, viewers will be invited to retune to restore any missing channels. But viewers who can only receive a small number of channels via Freeview because they receive their TV signal from a relay, may need to wait until the afternoon to retune."

---- bet ya some conspiracy theorists thought sudden switching off of Freeview was an escalation to the Boris Coup :)

Advertisement