Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

GarIT wrote: »
    No they won't.

I haven't paid to watch a race since 2014 but watch them online in full HD every weekend without issue.

I have been too used to watching on satellite (C4/eir) that whenever I use online content, I find the 30-40 delay doesn't sync with the F1 app info. But now that all the important app info information is already on screen, I'm sure this slight delay will not impact on my viewing experience.

FWIW, NowTV isn't eactly now, its more like Now+40secs :D but i won't be using that one.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Leclerc has beaten Vettels fastest time already at halfway through the second day and tops the charts.

Gasly is 1.5 seconds behind Leclerc in 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was leclerc on the same tyres as vettel and same sort of weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Charles-Leclerc-Ferrari-F1-Test-Abu-Dhabi-28-November-2018-fotoshowBig-4f3cef98-1214253.jpg

mickdw wrote: »
    Was leclerc on the same tyres as vettel and same sort of weather?

Wasn't released at time of posting which was only midway through. As rubber was being put down times should have naturally improved.

Edit final times. Gasly never closed in on Leclerc. It was the same compound.

DtGUmhnWkAA1jLL?format=jpg

Edit 2:

The Honda engine seems to hold its own now. Gelael and Kvyat both went for 150 Laps without issue afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

pjohnson wrote: »
    Wasn't released at time of posting which was only midway through. As rubber was being put down times should have naturally improved.

Edit final times. Gasly never closed in on Leclerc. It was the same compound.

DtGUmhnWkAA1jLL?format=jpg

Edit 2:

The Honda engine seems to hold its own now. Gelael and Kvyat both went for 150 Laps without issue afaik.

2.4 sec deficit how much of that can be clawed back by red Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Impressive from leClerc.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Russell putting down an early marker against Kubica too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Faugheen wrote: »

According to Autosport, Kubica wasn't setting representative times. He didn't even match his time from the previous day.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into LeClerc beating Vettel. The track can easily account for a few tenths given it was on different days. Winter testing will give a slightly better view, but Melbourne Qualifying is when we'll really find out who's quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Also, I wouldn't read too much into LeClerc beating Vettel. The track can easily account for a few tenths given it was on different days. Winter testing will give a slightly better view, but Melbourne Qualifying is when we'll really find out who's quickest.

I agree,
    This testing should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Nobody knows what fuel loads etc. that drivers/teams were using among other aspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Faugheen wrote: »

I'd said this a while back and I hope I'm proved wrong but Kubica returning is not going to be a fairytale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd said this a while back and I hope I'm proved wrong but Kubica returning is not going to be a fairytale.

Depends on definition of fairy-tale. Race wins, not likely.
    Some decent points scores on some of the slower tracks, Still possible.
    F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing technology, so that the cream of the driving talent can show us what they can do, if that means being adaptable to disabilities then that puts the sport into a higher plinth of achievement. Just look at how much support Billy Monger is getting.

flazio wrote: »
    F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing technology, so that the cream of the driving talent can show us what they can do, if that means being adaptable to disabilities then that puts the sport into a higher plinth of achievement. Just look at how much support Billy Monger is getting.

Billy Mongers injuries are different and from a racing standpoint easier to overcome that Kubica's.

It also needs to be said that Kubica is the second oldest driver on the grid after Kimi who seems to be just staying on for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Even if it isn’t a fairytale it still shows that someone with a permanent disability can compete equally amongst those who don’t have a disability,

He’ll fare ok until the likes of Monaco, only then will it become clear just how big the limitations are.

flazio wrote: »

Also look at how Alex Zanardi is getting on.
    Billy Mongers injuries are different and from a racing standpoint easier to overcome that Kubica's.

It also needs to be said that Kubica is the second oldest driver on the grid after Kimi who seems to be just staying on for the craic

Where in the hell did you get that notion from?
    I know I am a Kimi fan, but to say a driver who came 3rd in the wdc is a fairly harsh statement.

vectra wrote: »

Where in the hell did you get that notion from?
    I know I am a Kimi fan, but to say a driver who came 3rd in the wdc is a fairly harsh statement.

Because he's gone to far inferior car that will have little to no chance of scoring a podium finish in 2019 so he's not doing it for glory so it's either money or craic he's doing it for. I've much respect for a driver who goes out just for the love it btw, like I said about Schumacher a few weeks back, he returned to Merc just to race and I have much respect for that.

Because he's gone to far inferior car that will have little to no chance of scoring a podium finish in 2019 so he's not doing it for glory so it's either money or craic he's doing it for. I've much respect for a driver who goes out just for the love it btw, like I said about Schumacher a few weeks back, he returned to Merc just to race and I have much respect for that.

My initial reading and understanding of Kimi's move was to help to develop the team further up the ranks.
    He still enjoys racing,plus the reigns are now let loose.
    Who would have thought he would have done so well in 2012 when he was free to race?
    He has been handcuffed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

My initial reading and understanding of Kimi's move was to help to develop the team further up the ranks.
    He still enjoys racing,plus the reigns are now let loose.
    Who would have thought he would have done so well in 2012 when he was free to race?
    He has been handcuffed since.

Explain.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Explain.

If this needs to be explained to you, then you are watching the wrong sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If this needs to be explained to you, then you are watching the wrong sport.

Haha, good man.

You have nothing so, nothing new there. :rolleyes:

Oh dear are some people still trying to pedal the Old Man Kimi thing :pac:

Gintonious wrote: »
    Haha, good man.

* EDIT *
    You know what,
    I did put and answer here but decided I wouldn't waste my time replying to someone trying to be a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Stroll finally announced by Racing Point
    https://twitter.com/ForceIndiaF1/status/1068506521443725317

skipper_G wrote: »
    Stroll finally announced by Racing Point
    https://twitter.com/ForceIndiaF1/status/1068506521443725317

That boy is tainted by arrogance & money. Very hard to like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

That boy is tainted by arrogance & money. Very hard to like him.

Don’t like the guy at all, hope Perez smashes him next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Inviere wrote: »
    Don’t like the guy at all, hope Perez smashes him next season.

I'm glad to see him go up against an established driver again. Perez is no slouch, so if Stroll manages to match or beat him then I'll have to eat my words. Can't see it happening though.

I'm glad to see him go up against an established driver again. Perez is no slouch, so if Stroll manages to match or beat him then I'll have to eat my words. Can't see it happening though.

Perez will destroy him.

I can see it leading to a lesser version of the Alonso/Hamilton 2007 spat. Stroll being destroyed in a team that is effectively his via his father, daddy won't want little Stroll shown up by Perez. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried to find a way to get Perez out hence he was talking to other teams, Daddy was trying to get Kubica in as the second driver initially until he realised Perez was going nowhere.

If it doesn't get as bad as Alonso/Hamilton then it won't be a million miles from Alonso/Vandoorne.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Williams have got a new Sponsor and also that there was a mock up of how the rich energy Haas car livery will look. I would say Haas are in for a shock sometime in the first half of next season when they realise they have been conned bu a conman. How they have not seen it yet is beyond me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    there was a mock up of how the rich energy Haas car livery will look.

https://twitter.com/rich_energy/status/1068100695935631371

Advertisement