Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Sirotkin currently topping the Sky Driver of the Year vote is pretty hilarious. Wonder if he'll get a call from Putin when he wins!

From Russia with Love ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sirotkin currently topping the Sky Driver of the Year vote is pretty hilarious. Wonder if he'll get a call from Putin when he wins!
    Link
    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11541938/f1-2018-who-is-the-best-driver-of-the-season

I'm in two satirical humour groups on facebook and we all voted him up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    From Russia with Love ;)
    Good evening Mr Bond :D

Sirotkin currently topping the Sky Driver of the Year vote is pretty hilarious. Wonder https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=108665468if he'll get a call from Putin when he wins!

Looks like he'll be confirmed as being without a drive this weekend. Kubica is coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Looks like he'll be confirmed as being without a drive this weekend. Kubica is coming back.

I'm not so sure that it's a done deal, this is form Kubica 3 days ago.

Will I drive for Williams next year? I hope. There are only two teams which haven't yet announced their line-up for the next season: Toro Rosso and Williams. But I will definitely not drive for Toro Rosso. It is still not clear what about driving for Williams. It's a very tense period, a lot of things are happening. It's not like I or other people are having fun and they don't want to announce what has been decided, waiting who knows what for.

. . .

Everybody needs to make their own decisions. I said openly that I'm approaching the time of my decisions, that I have a deadline. I have made my decision but I will not say it so I don't pressure anything. I think we should very quickly learn what is going to happen to me. At the moment not everything depends on me but I can also say that not everything depends on Williams.

Apparently they are negotiating how many FP1's Mazepin gets. And there is a rumour that they have asked Sirotkin's sponsors for more money if he wants to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

Do Williams not need results more than they need money at this stage? I mean, money will keep them floating, but not indefinitely while they're at the back of the grid. They need to move forward, and paid drivers aren't going to make that happen. I feel they should just suck up some losses, get Kubica in the car, and try get some damn points. Then, in a season or two, they can start to pull in some sponsors and get money flowing back in. Unless things are just dire there, and they're on the verge of bankruptcy, it's crazy not to put Kubica in the car.

Inviere wrote: »
    Do Williams not need results more than they need money at this stage? I mean, money will keep them floating, but not indefinitely while they're at the back of the grid. They need to move forward, and paid drivers aren't going to make that happen. I feel they should just suck up some losses, get Kubica in the car, and try get some damn points. Then, in a season or two, they can start to pull in some sponsors and get money flowing back in. Unless things are just dire there, and they're on the verge of bankruptcy, it's crazy not to put Kubica in the car.

Kubica in his own right will probably attract more sponsors if he does well considering what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kubica is supposed to be announced Thursday at Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

Kubica in his own right will probably attract more sponsors if he does well considering what happened to him.

Exactly. It's nuts putting sub par paid drivers in those cars which clearly need development.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Might be of interest to others here - documentary on BBC1 now about Billy Monger.
    Wow, the strength of mind to have come so far so quickly since his crash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

ZiabR wrote: »
    Anyone heading over to Abu Dhabi for the final race of the season and Alonso's last?

I know there will always be a black flag against him from the past but I still think he is one of the best drivers we have ever seen.

I’m going! My first ever Grand Prix and can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

weekaizer wrote: »
    I’m going! My first ever Grand Prix and can’t wait.
    You lucky Bas....!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Robert Kubica to be confirmed at Williams tomorrow according to Autosport (confirming previous reports from Germany and Joe SawArds blog)

OSI wrote: »
    I really don't care how he even does at this stage. I'll just be glad I won't have to see every F1 discussion descend into a bunch of rabid Kubica fans insisting Kubica is the next Jesus and Claire Williams is Pontius Pilate.

Admit it, you’ll have a look to see how he’s doing at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Dsh0uuHWkAA4NP9.jpg

McLaren to run a special livery on Alonsos car for his last race. Nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Mark Webber already congratulating RK on the 2019 ride on Instagram.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I think this is another step backwards for Williams with RK this team along with McLaren are finished. Clueless leadership in both teams and stinking of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I think this is another step backwards for Williams with RK this team along with McLaren are finished. Clueless leadership in both teams and stinking of desperation.

He claimed he was faster than Stroll and Sirotkin in testing so if that's true I can't see how they could have made a better decision. Who would you take? Ocon for £23m less than Kubica's sponsors are paying?

GarIT wrote: »
    He claimed he was faster than Stroll and Sirotkin in testing so if that's true I can't see how they could have made a better decision. Who would you take? Ocon for £23m less than Kubica's sponsors are paying?

Ocon all day long over RK. He is a driver in the running for a 2020 Mercedes drive so will give it everything. Also, a deal could be done with engines.

Ocon all day long over RK. He is a driver in the running for a 2020 Mercedes drive so will give it everything. Also, a deal could be done with engines.

Williams are already getting all off Russell's engines for free for giving him the first seat.

Williams need actual money. Unless you expect Mercedes to start full on pay all off their staff.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Williams are already getting all off Russell's engines for free for giving him the first seat.

Williams need actual money. Unless you expect Mercedes to start full on pay all off their staff.

For Mercedes it is small money. Don’t get me wrong its not happening but I still think Ocon would be better then RK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Toto was quoted as saying he wouldn't put Ocon against Russell for a season as it is a no win for Ocon.
    If he beats Russell- ya he is supposed to.
    If he doesn't, he is finished.

Will be interesting between kubica and Russell though.

For Mercedes it is small money. Don’t get me wrong its not happening but I still think Ocon would be better then RK.

I think what Mercedes are really afraid of is Russell upstaging Ocon if they were in the same team and both vying for a Mercedes seat in 2020, at least this way we will never know and it will be assumed Ocon is the better fit for the works team.

Iirc I think Williams were also reluctant to take two Mercedes drivers especially when Ocon would only be a one year deal.

If Toto was as desperate for Ocon to be on the grid as he makes out he could just drop Bottas and give Ocon his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Iirc I think Williams were also reluctant to take two Mercedes drivers especially when Ocon would only be a one year deal.

If Toto was as desperate for Ocon to be on the grid as he makes out he could just drop Bottas and give Ocon his seat.

Bottas has contract and he might want to avoid a Sauber.

Harika wrote: »
    Bottas has contract and he might want to avoid a Sauber.

Drivers get dropped.

Sauber have their 3 drivers for 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

It's official, what a difference a year makes for Williams' driver lineup

https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1065532044137107456

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Drivers get dropped.

Sauber have their 3 drivers for 2019?

He's referring to this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/10/giedo-van-der-garde-wins-sauber-court-case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

mickdw wrote: »
    Toto was quoted as saying he wouldn't put Ocon against Russell for a season as it is a no win for Ocon.
    If he beats Russell- ya he is supposed to.
    If he doesn't, he is finished.

Will be interesting between kubica and Russell though.

Similar situation for Kubica though. Not much glory in beating a rookie, and if he gets beaten he looks bad. Either way it'll be hard to judge his comeback as we don't know if Russell is the next Schumacher or the next Wehrlein.

• Advertisement

Similar situation for Kubica though. Not much glory in beating a rookie, and if he gets beaten he looks bad. Either way it'll be hard to judge his comeback as we don't know if Russell is the next Schumacher or the next Wehrlein.

And if next year Williams is still a motorised shopping trolley they'll both look bad.

Apparently it was actually Sirotkins team who pulled him from Williams citing their poor performances. They want Sirotkin elsewhere.

Advertisement