Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

C4 coverage is the best, hands down. Even with Steve and his cringey presenting it's still the best.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The C4 coverage will be badly missed and its sad that its ending. I would love to be able to watch next season live on C4 as it sounds like it could be really exciting year but instead I will just watch the highlights after it has been recorded so I can skip the adds.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I much prefer Sky to C4. I can't stand Jones, Wolf, Coulthard or Chandhook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

GarIT wrote: »

I could take or leave Wolf, but I think Coulthard is as good as his sky counterpart and Jones and Chandok are vastly superior. I thought Steve Jones was terrible when he started but he really grew into the role. I could see how maybe you could dislike his personality, but at least he has one. Lazenby seems like he'd be more suited to being an accountant, or bank manager perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Bring back the likes of Jim Rosenthal, Mark Blundell, Tony Jardine & Louise Goodman, Simon Taylor is a good commentator also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

GarIT wrote: »

Jones is an oddball but he isn't afraid to slag himself and generally is far better then that guy on Sky. He has a bit of personality about him which works.

Wolff just rambles on for ages and doesn't make any point. Think she is afraid to offer an opinion because of her Surname.

Coulthard is very good. Him and Webber are a good double act.

Chandhok and Lee McKenzie are excellent. Proper insight and the interviews they do are generally very good.

Only part of sky coverage I like is the notebook. It's a little bit different and you get a bit of insight into what goes on after a Qualy and the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One key name you are all missed in comparison is Ben Edwards.
    Between him and David Croft, there is no comparison. Ben has been involved in F1 commentary since the mid 90s with Eurosport and is a Motorsports commentator through and through. (Crofty does darts, Darts I ask you) we can compare the pre and post race coverage all we want but when it comes down to the event itself, the lead commentator is the crucial role and Ben can't be touched.

flazio wrote: »
    Between him and David Croft, there is no comparison. Ben has been involved in F1 commentary since the mid 90s with Eurosport and is a Motorsports commentator through and through. (Crofty does darts, Darts I ask you) we can compare the pre and post race coverage all we want but when it comes down to the event itself, the lead commentator is the crucial role and Ben can't be touched.

Was Ben Edwards ever approached by Sky prior to preparing for 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

flazio wrote: »

Ben > Croft
    Brundle > DC
    Ben+DC > Croft+Brundle
    Eddie > Whoever at Sky. Like when he jumped across the Ferrari? barrier to catch the boss, cannot remember the specific occurrence

Was not that but he was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Eddie is so bad he's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

The main weak link on Sky is obviously David Croft's commentary, mind you for me no F1 commentary team will ever come within a country mile of Murray Walker/James Hunt, anyone else is just different levels of inferiority.

+1 for Ted's notebook. I think we have to accept that the spectacle of the racing in F1 is often not that great and a nerdy interest in the technical/engineering side is needed to love the sport, and Ted covers that side of it pretty well.

My main issue with C4 is the lack of HD coverage. Maybe I'm missing something but on Sky+HD there is no C4 HD channel. More4 & E4 are in HD, and the C4 catchup service, but not C4 itself. Hopefully when SkyQ gets the HDR upgrade next year Sky will broadcast F1 and other live sports in HDR, might be worth the upgrade then.

Seb still shows allegiance to RedBull

I've never seen anyone as far up their own hole as DC, and I've never seen anyone that desperately wants to be one of the british boys as much as Chandhok.

Brundle is the best of the lot IMO. Rosberg is excellent. Webber is very good. EJ has his days. I wouldn't like to see much of Ted during a race but he really is a star for pre and post race content.

I used to hate Di Resta he was a whiny child as a driver but he's grown on me a bit as a commentator.

I'm excited to see Sky getting Button next year.

OSI wrote: »
    I've just never seen someone so utterly devoid of charisma and entertainment get such a prominent role as Simon Lazenby. He must have some serious dirt on someone high up.

Prior to him joining Sky I never heard of him. What did he do previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Albon confirmed at TR.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

OSI wrote: »
    I've just never seen someone so utterly devoid of charisma and entertainment get such a prominent role as Simon Lazenby. He must have some serious dirt on someone high up.

Prior to him joining Sky I never heard of him. What did he do previously?

He was on Sky's rugby coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Gintonious wrote: »
    Albon confirmed at TR.
    skipper_G wrote: »
    I've been having a good think, and there's also an outside bet. Alex Albon is a former Red Bull junior driver, currently 3rd in F2. Previously he's done well in both Formula Renault & GP3 and all he needs for a super licence is a top 5 finish in the F2 championship

I do believe my outside bet was a winner, shame I didn't put any cash on it :D

Albon kyvat is definitely the weakest driver line-up next year on the grid.
    Formula 2 should be interesting with the top 3 moving to F1 and Schumacher and ticktum moving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Two day post season testing begins today.

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Two day post season testing begins today.

Will RedBull test with the Honda engine already?

Harika wrote: »
    Will RedBull test with the Honda engine already?

Be interesting to see will Renault allow it, after all, Red Bull have blocked Ricciardo testing the Renault on contractual grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,401 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Despite no confirmation still Stroll is now in a Force India.

DtBEYglVAAAzVbg?format=jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Formula 3 European champion Mick Schumacher will graduate to Formula 2 next year with Prema Racing.

The 19-year-old took eight wins and a further six podiums on his way to his first major title this season in European F3 with Prema Racing's sister outfit Prema Powerteam.

A Schumacher at racing weekends with F1 again...warms my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

Just wondering if anyone has asked virgin if they will have the sky f1 channel next year? If you don't have Skype it's looks like your screwed, now tv only does full package as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

LeClerc in the Ferrari tomorrow, should be fun!

Goose81 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has asked virgin if they will have the sky f1 channel next year? If you don't have Skype it's looks like your screwed, now tv only does full package as well

No they won't.

I haven't paid to watch a race since 2014 but watch them online in full HD every weekend without issue.

• Advertisement

I hope Leclerc and Gasly are on the same compound today.

Advertisement