Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I had my last order for the year (and possibly for ever) delivered to PM on Thursday, which should be okay for the cut off time of the 28th, all going well. I wonder when they are back to work though

I don't know if they can offer a delivery forward service from within the UK without paying both UK VAT and Irish VAT.
    As far as I know you can only be exempt from UK VAT when the company is shipping to an address outside the UK.

The service will need some drastic changes if it's to be a service that is of some benefit to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

I'm in the same boat with a parcel from Japan, hoping that royal mail will contact me when delivery fails to the Newtownabbey depot to arrange an alternative

Same here, I have a parcel from Japan and seems stuck at Heathrow ATM. Hope RM can contact me for an alternative.

Same here, I have a parcel from Japan and seems stuck at Heathrow ATM. Hope RM can contact me for an alternative.

Have you got a Royal mail tracking number? If you check the tracking on the royal mail site there may be an option to redirect after it has failed to be received at the original address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I wonder will the Parcel Motel sites just become UPS lockers with the forwarding service scrapped?

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I wonder will the Parcel Motel sites just become UPS lockers with the forwarding service scrapped?

The lockers were removed in my area a few years ago and replaced with washing machines that are very popular and constantly in use.

If the garage is not making enough money from parcel motel they will want something else in their place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You’ve always had the virtual Dublin address. The northern one was default though and this is primarily the reason everyone used parcel motel, to avail of Uk shipping prices. Now that the north is gone the only reason to use parcel motel is to avail of the lockers. I’m personally done with them and will have deliveries sent to my home instead.

The Dublin address seems to have changed. It was always North City Business Park but per their recent emails it's now UPS Customer Centre, Mygan Park.

46 Long wrote: »
    The Dublin address seems to have changed. It was always North City Business Park but per their recent emails it's now UPS Customer Centre, Mygan Park.

About 2km apart so I hope shipments go to the new address if someone used the old one by mistake.

Most the drivers should know the new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

They probably don't expect the volumes to justify running a dedicated Parcel Motel depot like they do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

harmless wrote: »
    The lockers were removed in my area a few years ago and replaced with washing machines that are very popular and constantly in use.

If the garage is not making enough money from parcel motel they will want something else in their place.

I think the only benefits of the motel the the garage is to increase footfall to the shop.

JG009 wrote: »
    I think the only benefits of the motel the the garage is to increase footfall to the shop.

I'm not sure but you could be right. Collection has been in store since the lockers were removed. Another petrol station in my town does pickup and collection for DPD.

I had assumed the shop got a very small cut of the profits from each parcel but perhaps they do it for the footfall alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Looking for advice here. I shipped an iPhone 11 from UK to Parcel Motel, they emailed me a photo of the box in the Dublin Depot and that was the last I heard from them. After weeks of trying to contact them they eventually replied on 23rd December to say it was missing.

It was my sons christmas present so at that stage it was to late to get a replacement in time.

They said their terms of business state they are only liable up to €100 so I am going to be €500 out of pocket.

MOD-Snip. Don’t make unproven allegations. You don’t know what happened to it. but do I have any leg to stand on in terms of getting them to compensate me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Wineman wrote: »
    Looking for advice here. I shipped an iPhone 11 from UK to Parcel Motel, they emailed me a photo of the box in the Dublin Depot and that was the last I heard from them. After weeks of trying to contact them they eventually replied on 23rd December to say it was missing.

It was my sons christmas present so at that stage it was to late to get a replacement in time.

They said their terms of business state they are only liable up to €100 so I am going to be €500 out of pocket.

MOD-Snip. Don’t make unproven allegations. You don’t know what happened to it. but do I have any leg to stand on in terms of getting them to compensate me?

You will have to simply contact the seller and explain it never got to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They will have a signature that it was delivered. Insurance is available, OP should have taken it. It’s an expensive lesson to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I disagree. One of the things about PM is that you have a NI address. If it was successfully delivered to that, then the sellers job is done. You may be in trouble here. I hope I am wrong, but if the seller can show it arrived at the destination, i.e. Newtonabbey, then it is your problem, not theirs.

I raised a dispute on Paypal (which I paid through) but at the end of the day the seller delivered it safely to the address I provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Screams Nightline are being absorbed into UPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

harmless wrote: »
    I'm not sure but you could be right. Collection has been in store since the lockers were removed. Another petrol station in my town does pickup and collection for DPD.

I had assumed the shop got a very small cut of the profits from each parcel but perhaps they do it for the footfall alone.

The garages get rent for the units from PM but it's not a significant sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Akesh wrote: »
    The garages get rent for the units from PM but it's not a significant sum.

The argument being its about the footfall and thus purchases made there.

PM sent a few surveys to try and back this up. Honestly I might use the shop next to my two once in 15 packages if that.

whiterebel wrote: »
    They will have a signature that it was delivered. Insurance is available, OP should have taken it. It’s an expensive lesson to learn.

Had no idea this option was available, otherwise I would have taken it. It would help if they had a prompt for you to take insurance by asking the value of the item being shipped.

I raised a dispute on Paypal (which I paid through) but at the end of the day the seller delivered it safely to the address I provided.

I dont mean to sound heartless, but the seller did nothing wrong here. You asked them to post to an address in the north. They did, it arrived. Paypal should not and hopefully will not do a chargeback.

That is taking the proverbial. I would go to the PM depot in Dublin and raise the roof.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The argument being its about the footfall and thus purchases made there.

PM sent a few surveys to try and back this up. Honestly I might use the shop next to my two once in 15 packages if that.

Sure, they wouldn't be there if there wasn't some argument for additional footfall.

I don't think that argument really holds up. At least not in my experience and I know some garages aren't happy with customers collecting and disposing of the boxes/wrapping in their bins.

The rent was less than €2k per annum but that was over 3 years ago.

Does anyone think the small claims court might be an option or do the have me with their 'Terms of Business'?

Or the Gardai? Mod - If you want to make allegations, do it to PM or the Garda I, not here. Last warning.

Does anyone think the small claims court might be an option or do the have me with their 'Terms of Business'?

Or the Gardai? MOD - <snip>

Possibly, but if the terms and conditions specifically say limited liability to a value of 100 euro, and you agreed to it by signing up, it still may be dismissed. I'd go down to the depot and have a go at a manager. I am sure someone else did this and they suddenly found a missing package.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Small claims court is for the service provided, for €4.50 or whatever the charge was. It could have been badly packed, badly labelled or gone out by mistake to a wrong locker or wrong address. You will need to hound PM about it, and complete the find my parcel link. There are probably still thousands of packages still in the warehouse since before Christmas.

Or the Gardai? MOD - <snip>

The Gardaí would entertain pursuing it bit it would be very far down on their list.
    Small claims could hide behind the 100 max liability.

I wonder if you went all 'Joe duffy' with it, anfd posted the picture and experience on their Facebook page etc in the hopes of getting them to cough up to avoid the bad publicity.
    Then again, if they are being absorbed by ups, and loads of them are losing their jobs, I doubt they'd care.

Have you lodged a complaint with them yet?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Small claims court is for the service provided, for €4.50 or whatever the charge was. It could have been badly packed, badly labelled or gone out by mistake to a wrong locker or wrong address. You will need to hound PM about it, and complete the find my parcel link. There are probably still thousands of packages still in the warehouse since before Christmas.

The risk of loss is part of the terms and conditions.

If the item really is completely lost their terms and conditions means you are insured up to a value of €100.

For anymore comeback you would have to prove it was a result of theft or gross negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Learn from mistake and next time buy extended liability. I had a 800 euro phone go missing with them 2 years ago. Same happened it was delivered and picture taken and added to my account and nothing after. I was 700 out of pocket.

You have absolutely nothing to stand on here and their terms are clear in regards to amount covered. You will get no where apart from wasting your own time trying anything. I dont think Gardaí will do anything either in this regard. Not worth their time and too hard to trace due to volume of the parcels.

Second I see you raised a dispute against seller on Paypal. Why do that? The item was clearly delivered to Parcel Motel and was even added to your account with a picture so why blame the seller. You would rather see someone else take the loss instead of you although they are zero fault. Karma always comes back.

Learn from it and take the hit. Next time when ordered expensive item buy extra liability.

The only thing you could do is see if the seller has record of IMEI and could get it blocked by Apple. You wont get the phone back but it will be disabled so cannot be used by someone else so will be useless to them as well.

dan786 wrote: »

Second I see you raised a dispute against seller on Paypal. Why do that? The item was clearly delivered to Parcel Motel and was even added to your account with a picture so why blame the seller. You would rather see someone else take the loss instead of you although they are zero fault. Karma always comes back.

I believe this will work out OK for the seller as they will have a tracking number and proof that it arrived at the address provider by the buyer.

dan786 wrote: »

The only thing you could do is see if the seller has record of IMEI and could get it blocked by Apple. You wont get the phone back but it will be disabled so cannot be used by someone else so will be useless to them as well.

And check the second hand sites for people selling one.

• Advertisement

I always found the insurance for delivery nothing but a scam. You're paying PM to take the delivery. If they lose the parcel they should pay for it.

Advertisement