Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Royal Rumble 2018 Thread *Spoilers***No Betting Talk*

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That was a great spot.
    I thought that Sasha was fantastic in the Rumble match.
    Alexa looks bored in the closing sequence. Just take a look at any of the photos where Ronda is pointing at the WM sign. Alexa is just staring off into space.

Alexa looked disinterested during the women's rumble anytime the camera went on her. Charlotte reacted to more.

Also Carmella really didn't want to get suplexed by Becky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Also

WWE use Reigns really well in general. In his own right he is a credible winner against anyone. Come an event like the rumble they can use him to give fans a great moment like Nak winning.

He also played a huge part in Finn's debut success, was a huge part of Braun getting over with the fans who have rejected similar monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DM_7 wrote: »
    Also

WWE use Reigns really well in general. In his own right he is a credible winner against anyone. Come an event like the rumble they can use him to give fans a great moment like Nak winning.

He also played a huge part in Finn's debut success, was a huge part of Braun getting over with the fans who have rejected similar monsters.

Spot on. The 99:1 booking job they do on him can be seriously grating most of the time, but when somebody gets the better of him like Strowman or Nak as you said, they’re made men. Even worked for Orton last year to a degree when he threw out Reigns to win the Rumble. He’s a solid worker at the end of the day too, can’t say I’m often disappointed with his matches. If they let him be himself on the mic, he could actually be accepted by more long-term wrestling fans.

Having said all that, I would absolutely love if these steroid allegations about him are proven during WrestleMania week, just to see Vince squirm. Nothing personal against Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Saw the gif where Lesnar legitimately whacked Strowman in the head with the fist, YIKES the literal skull rattling force.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I actually forgot Orton was in the Rumble last night till it was mentioned above :o

Such is my level of apathy for him.

• Advertisement

Great to see so many of the former womens wrestlers return and in good health, many who had families. Way too many of their male counterparts did not live good lives when they left wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder why no spots went to the Cruiserweight division? They're already viewed as being on the outside as it is, so this doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a very good show and an easy thumbs up event. It's a pity there was no stellar non Rumble match as this show could have gone down as one of the very best Rumbles ever, but I still think it will be remembered strongly nonetheless.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    However, I don't understand this tactic of having the winner do so little for most of the match. If Nakamura had performed as Balor did, eliminating people across the match, then the moment would've been even bigger. but they're fúcking obsessed with the swerve. They literally try to make you forget about someone, so that when the winner wins there's some surprise factor. it's stupid. just book the guy who wins it strongly.

I don't think it's a case of wanting a swerve but to try to give two guys a rub from the match as opposed to just one. Cole went out of his way to say that Balor had done a star-making performance. I actually like the way they do it. I thought Balor came out of the match a much bigger deal, and so does Nakamura obviously via the win. It's a bit like in the 2001 Rumble where the two guys who came out of it with the memorable performances were Austin and Kane, the former from the win itself and the latter by lasting so long and putting in a strong performance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You know, watching that Brock "receipt" on Brawn, throwing a full force punch to the side of Browns head in retaliation for a mistake....I actually feel that's a scumbag move of the highest order.

Yeah. Sucks that Brawn inadvertently hurt Brock. Trying to knock Brawn out in response, actively trying to hurt a guy like that, is so hugely unprofessional on Brock part that I'm shocked it's not garnered a more negative reaction...

Yeah it's a total scumbag move, it seems to get respect online because it's like a throwback to older days (why do people call it a receipt and not what it is, a cheapshot) but to me it just makes Lesnar look like a coward or a thug, especially since he pretty much ran away from the UFC because he doesn't like getting punched himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Yeah it's a total scumbag move, it seems to get respect online because it's like a throwback to older days (why do people call it a receipt and not what it is, a cheapshot) but to me it just makes Lesnar look like a coward or a thug, especially since he pretty much ran away from the UFC because he doesn't like getting punched himself.

I wouldn't say I respect it but I can understand it. If you've ever read Bret Hart's book he makes the point that being a good professional wrestler is all about not hurting your opponent but making it look as real as possible. Now obviously accidents can and will happen (such as Brock hurting Bob Holly for example) but usually from something a bit more complex than a basic strike that Braun should know how to protect his opponent from. Brock took a sloppy dangerous knee to the head from a guy who as likeable as he is, is still essentially learning how to wrestle and frequently makes mistakes and a bit lost.

I could understand why he would be pissed and in the heat of the moment made it his business to get a dig in to let him know he didn't appreciate it. Also for all we know Brock could have thought Braun did it on purpose (I don't think he did, but I could see how if Brock initially thought that) and felt he had to respond in kind to let him know he wasn't gonna put up with it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't think it is respect but people saying why he responded that way.

I don't think Brock should be responding that way with emotion, lack of control, but I can see how it happens in the moment. This is someone who trains as a fighter, he set up the head punch with a body shot as well. It was nasty all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Brock is a dick for retaliating, accidents happen, you move on from them you do not try to cause more suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Considering what Brock said afterwards it was obviously a thing of tough love to get him to learn quick what to do. Also remember this isn't the first time Brock has gotten visibly annoyed with Braun, he was getting annoyed with Braun during their singles match too for botching and not knowing what to do next.

I just think it's a bit much to be judging Brock for it for two reasons really number 1 being as big fans of wrestling as we are, we're not (to my knowledge) actually pro wrestlers. It seems a bit rich for us to be judging what one of the most successful pro wrestlers ever does is good or bad etiquette...pretty he knows what he's doing. Number 2....he just took a stiff knee to the head when not expecting it. If I said to you... I'll look after you and almost knock you out moments later with a knee to your head I'm pretty certain your response isn't going to be "I'm really annoyed but I don't want people judging me so I'm not going to react! We'll talk about it later!"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,115 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Reigns is brilliant. There's no debate anymore IMO.

He's merely a victim of his early booking that people will now never forget. And I'm one of them. It's always there in the back of the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

SlickRic wrote: »
    Reigns is brilliant. There's no debate anymore IMO.

He's merely a victim of his early booking that people will now never forget. And I'm one of them. It's always there in the back of the mind.

Hes Cena 2.0

A victim of poor booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think hes a victim of vince still thinking the model of a top guy being hulk from the 80s. he has to be an unstoppable face who only loses with any dirty trick they can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

It's been two days and I am just now copping that Rey Mysterio counts as an ECW guy in Philly. Explains those sweet tights he was wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭briany

If it was a cheapshot, it was in response to Braun's cheapshot knee to the head.

It's not something you want to see in wrestling, but it's not something Brock would have done unprovoked, like where JBL would clothesline someone out of their shoes 'cause he didn't like the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

briany wrote: »
    If it was a cheapshot, it was in response to Braun's cheapshot knee to the head.

It's not something you want to see in wrestling, but it's not something Brock would have done unprovoked, like where JBL would clothesline someone out of their shoes 'cause he didn't like the look of them.

But Brauns was accidental not a cheapshot. Brock is in a business where people get hurt and if someone inexperienced hurts him its totally unprofessional of someone of his age and experience to take liberties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    briany wrote: »

But Brauns was accidental not a cheapshot. Brock is in a business where people get hurt and if someone inexperienced hurts him its totally unprofessional of someone of his age and experience to take liberties
    It might have been an accident but clearly brock didn't take it as one.

Like I said, it looks more like he hit him with the thigh than the knee, so definitely not worth a punch like that

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Rey back full time or on a Legends deal or was it a one shot deal for the Rumble?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is Rey back full time or on a Legends deal or was it a one shot deal for the Rumble?

One shot deal for now. Apparently between how well he moved and the crowd reaction the WWE are looking to sign him to a limited date contract.

When is Lucha Underground back or filming? He'll probably be in that.
    But if he does come back it'll probably go as well as the others who returned like Dudleys, Hardys, Mickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

he was on that god awful 5star wrestling on Thursday night in liverpool

Advertisement