Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Royal Rumble 2018 Thread *Spoilers***No Betting Talk*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Great Rumble...ruined by a stupid ending. I'm sorry, this would not have happened in the male rumble. The winner should get to celebrate their victory, not have someone else come in and ruin it. I don't care how big a star you are, it's not acceptable. Just...bleh.

That ending was pure ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

naughtb4 wrote: »
    That ending was pure ****e

Not ideal was it?

However the last few rumbles have been very average so despite that finish we should be happy enough with the two winners.

Do you remember 2015? That was a genuine FU from Vince to the fans, Bryan been thrown out like a scrub, Kane and Show dumping out all the young stars and then Roman winning.

This was a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Poor way to bring Dolph back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Typical WWE they build Ziggler only to bury him again. At this stage it feels like a rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

THIS is how they bring out Rousey?

Doesn't make any sense.

Terrible stuff. Girls in the ring as stiff as boards too. Act surprised FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Why is Steph so annoyed that the biggest women's sport's star on Earth is in WWE? Shouldn't she be delighted?

storyline wise could be she knows raw hasnt signed her and she knows shane has signed her to smackdown

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well that was typical WWE, they spend the last year building up the womens division that leads to the 1st ever royal rumble and they rubbish the ending by bringing out rhonda rousey who does nothing but point at that f'n wrestlemania sign

Delighted Nakamura won the mens rumble but christ almighty, how long is John Cena wrestling, i could hear him from here with the volume down on the tele, i think he shouted "Shinsuke now" at least 3 times as well as other things

Lesnar Kane Strowman what a mess, another ppv goes by without Strowman winning but hey, at least he'll be back on Raw tonight destroying everything again.

Cena also leads the Mania sign pointing contest, think he pointed 5 times to Rouseys 3

Actually i forgot about Dolph Ziggler, he should actually leave now, that company will do nothing with him and the crowd actually dont care now either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

James Elsworth won the first ever Womens MITB.

Thankfully Ronda arriving in WWE is a much better ending than that.

If the show ended with just the ladies winner celebrating I think a lot would be asking 'what was that all about'.

It is also how NJPW often end shows without complaint, guy wins, random new challenger comes out to say want to challenge them next. So it is not that unusual or direspectful in wrestling to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AnnualComposedFieldmouse-max-14mb.gif

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    If the show ended with just the ladies winner celebrating I think a lot would be asking 'what was that all about'.

Really, i dont think so, isnt that how the mens rumble has ended since it began, we were told countless times, this is the 1st ever womens royal rumble, its history making, and yet nobody cares who won it or who she wants to face, its all about somebody who wasnt even in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Moment of the night for me and how quick they cut from Trish.

Trishs reply last night.

https://streamable.com/awoan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/fearthe_beard11/status/957808084751065088

Take note on being careful with the right people Braun :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You could literally see his skull wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,144 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just watched the Rumble.

The Men's Rumble was fine.
    It was made seem better by a decent crowd.
    Rey was a nice surprise.
    Balor going long was superb.
    Roman being booed out was predictable, and they didn't try to pretend it wouldn't.
    Rusev is money.

However, I don't understand this tactic of having the winner do so little for most of the match. If Nakamura had performed as Balor did, eliminating people across the match, then the moment would've been even bigger. but they're fúcking obsessed with the swerve. They literally try to make you forget about someone, so that when the winner wins there's some surprise factor. it's stupid. just book the guy who wins it strongly.

I'd no problem with the Rousey moment, and the Asuka hand slap was absolutely brilliant. Thankfully WWE seem to understand how Asuka should be handled. Whether it's simply because they got Rousey over the line, I don't know, but either way, it was awesome.

I'm bored of Brock. maybe that's their tactic? bore me until i might actually want Reigns as champion so he won't be booed out of the stadium at Wrestlemania.

better than previous Rumbles, but our standards are so low now that I barely know what is good anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ah he jumped the shark ages ago. The giy cam work but he needs reinventing..... and this current gimmick does him no favors

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Really, i dont think so, isnt that how the mens rumble has ended since it began, we were told countless times, this is the 1st ever womens royal rumble, its history making, and yet nobody cares who won it or who she wants to face, its all about somebody who wasnt even in the match.

Yes, I think people would be asking why it was on last. Nobody is watching Mania to see Asuka v Bliss. Bringing out their new signing made the placement of the match make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yes, I think people would be asking why it was on last. Nobody is watching Mania to see Asuka v Bliss. Bringing out their new signing made the placement of the match make sense.

Im guessing they wanted Ronda in the match but probably couldnt get her to do anything physical due to her movie obligations, like in case she got hurt while committed to her movies.

But they wanted the moment regardless. Wasnt ideal, but it was fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm still reading through the topic in order, so I've literally not seen any other final reactions to the show. Like, at all. Not here, Reddit, anything.

I ****ing loved both Rumbles.

Mens very obviously kept surprise entrants to a minimum, but I thought there was some fun moments. Slater, Hurricane, Finn nearly going coast to coast, Rey making a shocking return and looking amazing, the NXT entrants. I knew it would be Roman and Shin in the finals, and putting the men on early made it very likely the Shinsuke win was coming, but I didn't care. The final four had an awesome match together, and I really loved it all.

The womens then was ALL about surprises and I ate it all up; Trish, Vickie, McCool, Bellas. Sure, there was a few akward moments, but I just loved it. Sasha throwing out Bailey, Asuka vs Ember again, TRISH VS MICKIE!!!! I loved it.

The Ronda bit wasn't surprising; glad she didn't win, and they introduced her perfectly to set up multiple feuds; Auska can feel cheated from her moment, the two champs are obvious, even the Steph tease.

I've left that show on an absolute buzz, very happy with both Rumbles.

Now to read how everyone hated it all to spoil that buzz :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

AnnualComposedFieldmouse-max-14mb.gif

Hadn’t watched WWE in 17/18 years until this morning. (Working night shift tonight & my son has gotten into wwe last few months).

Although it never looked as staged as it did to me this morning, (due to being shown in HD I imagine) I can easily see myself starting to get interested in it again.

I was struggling with all the new titles though, I know they’ve branded Raw & Smackdown as 2 different brands, I assume the championships in Raw are held in higher regard?

What about the WWE World Heavyweigjt Championship, I imagine surely the main Champion across the company is Brock?

I used to love the Tag-Team Championships but just flicking through the website, there isn’t a good gimmicky team name? Like the days of The Rock & Sock connection, Dudley Boyz, New Age Outlaws etc. It’s just there 2 names? Also, are there any stables anymore, like D-Generation-X, The Radicals, Mean Street Posse etc, or a link to a thread to help me catch up :)

I just need something to get me a little up to speed.

• Advertisement

Everyone has their own opinion but i would say it was on last because it was historic, the womens movement, the 1st ever womens royal rumble, they promoted it for weeks, so why not have the winner of this unbelievably historic contest stand tall at the end.

They could have left Rousey until Raw or Smackdown, have Asuka make her choice and Rousey walk out and challenge Flair

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

That spot where Mysterio 619'd Cena & Reigns. Could Cena have been any more obvious in his barking of instructions at Reigns, when he was supposed to be dazed? He turned his head and was roaring at him, it looked like. I often see wrestlers calling stuff, but rarely so blatant.

even without ronda debuting they made the right choice making the women go on last it made it special

i honestly think if they go with ronda/charlotte they'll go on last at mania

• Registered Users Posts: 36,144 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

briany wrote: »
    That spot where Mysterio 619'd Cena & Reigns. Could Cena have been any more obvious in his barking of instructions at Reigns, when he was supposed to be dazed? He turned his head and was roaring at him, it looked like. I often see wrestlers calling stuff, but rarely so blatant.

at one stage, Cena shouted 'ATOMIC DROP' at Goldust before Goldie hit him with the move.

he's always at it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    at one stage, Cena shouted 'ATOMIC DROP' at Goldust before Goldie hit him with the move.

he's always at it.

cena and jericho are the two worst ive seen at blatantly telling people what to do

Exactly, i posted about him earlier, the ringside camera was on him and reigns after that part, and it looks like he shouted "Shinsuke now" 3 times, didnt even try to hide it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cena is well known for it. He either learned to do it that way(from who I don't know,because you're meant to be discrete about it) and it takes you out of the moment.

Anyway hours after it ended I have to say I really enjoyed the royal rumble for the first time in ages. It was the first time in a while that four hours didn't drag. So well done WWE. Also trish, Michelle McCool, Molly holly looked like they hadn't aged or lost a step. Poor lots though looked blown up a bit. I'm happy for asuka as she's easily the best overall package in the women's division.

what i only realised last night was kelly kelly seems like a whole other generation but shes actually the same age as becky and charlotte but kelly debuted in 06

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Moment of the night for me and how quick they cut from Trish.

Trishs reply last night.

https://streamable.com/awoan

I think that was Trish holding up the number seven, as in the amount of times she was womans champion.

She did the same thing later in the match when she was throwing someone out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sirsok wrote: »
    I think that was Trish holding up the number seven, as in the amount of times she was womans champion.

She did the same thing later in the match when she was throwing someone out.

There was definitely a moment shortly after she entered where she very blatantly licked her palm. Not quite as graphic as the 'V' sign, but pretty close. :D

Advertisement