Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Royal Rumble 2018 Thread *Spoilers***No Betting Talk*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Right, bed time.

That was one of the best Rumble events I can remember. Glad to have shared it with ye.

I miss when we used to have a crowd like this for Monday Night Raw. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So Ronda has signed a full time deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I guess it.just means Rhonda challenges whomever Asuka doesn't challenge? Or else some sort of bizarre fatal 4 way with both titles on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

They actually put together a really good women's rumble, and overshadowed it somewhat with a really awkward, nonsensical ending that culminated in Stephanie getting limelight.

Of course, WWE. Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The jacket she was wearing was Rowdy Roddy Pipers.

His son gave it to her

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Flair Vs Rousey, Bliss Vs Asuka,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Great Rumble...ruined by a stupid ending. I'm sorry, this would not have happened in the male rumble. The winner should get to celebrate their victory, not have someone else come in and ruin it. I don't care how big a star you are, it's not acceptable. Just...bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't mind the Ronda stuff. Think it was a decent way to debut her. Throwing her into a possible clusterfeck rumble could've gone badly and the crowd reacted really well to her.

I think it was a great PPV. Men's rumble was fantastic and the women's was great too with all the nostalgia pops. One minus against it was having too many women sleeping outside the ring for long periods but a minor nitpick.

Perfect winners for both rumbles too.

No complaints from me with that PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Asuka blowing off the handshake RULED and made her feel a big deal so I don't know how her rumble win was ruined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

that Rhonda appearance was as clumsy as Undertaker's on Raw on monday night. why not just have her in the Rumble or come after Asuka picks Alexa to Challenge Charlotte

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Two fantastic rumbles, but the rest of the card was piss.

Asuka though, what a megastar she is.

I'm glad Ronda appeared as it justified the womens Rumble being on last

She looked really happy which was nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

cian68 wrote: »
    Asuka blowing off the handshake RULED and made her feel a big deal so I don't know how her rumble win was ruined

Sense!

Great card, was apprehensive about the woman's rumble but was fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I'd probably be less high on the Rousey stuff if they hadn't gotten the rights to that Joan Jett banger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Was a good Rumble match for the women. Trish and Kelly Keĺly would be welcome back anytime. Awesome moment between the former and Mickie.

Thought we were spared the Rousey stuff but unfortunately not. Can't see Charlotte v Rousey for the pure reason they wouldn't waste her on that awful B show that they treat with such contempt. I imagine Bliss is going to be fed to her setting up Asuka v Rousey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

that Rhonda appearance was as clumsy as Undertaker's on Raw on monday night. why not just have her in the Rumble or come after Asuka picks Alexa to Challenge Charlotte

I find that difficult to believe though. No way WWE put a full time Ronda on Smackdown. So a switch of champs has to happen at some point. Alexa VS Rousey makes 0 sense though either

Got to say the women did really well. I feared the worst but they pulled it off. I was worried there would be botches and periods of not much happening.

By sprinkling out the legends they kept interest going perfectly and Asuka not shaking hands was great.

Sets up them both unbeaten down the road to face off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I could see Bliss dropping her title to Sasha in the next month, then Sasha facing Ronda or Asuka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Got to say the women did really well. I feared the worst but they pulled it off. I was worried there would be botches and periods of not much happening.

Haha periods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Mr.H wrote: »
    Haha periods
    Real high brow stuff there! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

I see the official UFC twitter account were hyping Ronda's appearance. Have they ever done that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I see the official UFC twitter account were hyping Ronda's appearance. Have they ever done that before?

WWE did it when Lesnar fought at UFC 200. Repaying the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

That two out of three falls tag match was the ****s. Not a fan of how it made Gable and Shelton look like schnooks, and the clean sweep just buries them a bit. That ending would have worked better as a culmination of a third fall.

The Raw tag match, while I get that they are going with the "Jordan is terrible, and will heel it up" angle, I thought the match was really off kilter. Might have something to do with 3/4ths of the participants pulling double duty in the Rumble though.

The handicap WWE title match ended really abruptly, and felt like an episode of Smackdown. It's a shame as the match was building nicely. There's a great AJ and Sami feud waiting to happen based on their ring chemistry.

As for the Universal title match. Oy vey, who does Braun have to murder to get the strap put on him. No point in him being in that match at all, based on the ending, as he was already beat clean by Brock months back. No point doing the "you haven't pinned me" storyline when the horses have bolted from that stable. I realise that Roman has to beat the unbeatable Brock at WM now, but you have a legit monster star in Braun. Putting the belt on him should be a priority; he'll do a great job at it.

The Rumbles were great. Finn going that long is a great achievement, and Shinsuke winning is a great thing. Feels for once that the person the fans actually want to win has, for once. Coming off the Orton/HHH/Reigns/Batista wins, its nice that you can feel happy at the end of a rumble for once.

The women's rumble was class too. Becky looked fantastic, as did Sasha. I really liked Ruby Riott's heel bite to eliminate Becky (will that girl ever get a break?) Asuka winning is the complete right choice as she's so far ahead in quality in general, she adds a credibility to the whole thing. She's legit the best character in WWE right now, booked right, and has the talent ring wise to put on stellar matches. I'm a big fan.

All in all, a mixed bag; but I'll take it as I didn't have to despair at a rumble result this year; which is really nice for once :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Would happily take Asuka v Charlotte at this stage while letting Rousey do what she likes on Raw.

Mind you if we did get Rousey v Asuka and the latter lost her streak in an Austin type passing out deal after having a war, I could accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Why is Steph so annoyed that the biggest women's sport's star on Earth is in WWE? Shouldn't she be delighted?

Didn't she beat up Triple H and Stephanie a few years ago?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mind you if we did get Rousey v Asuka and the latter lost her streak in an Austin type passing out deal after having a war, I could accept that.

Depending on the deal Rousey has signed I'd be keeping them away from each other till WM 35. Then pull trigger on that feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Keep Rousey away from Bliss anyway. That could be an atrocious mess.

A relative newbie still learning the ropes and how to wrestle and you also have Rousey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

womens rumble turned out much better than expected

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

J. Marston wrote: »
    Keep Rousey away from Bliss anyway. That could be an atrocious mess.

A relative newbie still learning the ropes and how to wrestle and you also have Rousey.
    I was thinking Asuka vs Bliss, and Charlotte vs Rousey.

Advertisement